• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty damn good episode; some cold shit in there.

How does GoT get away with stuff like burning a child alive and older men having sex with teenage girls? It's like the show is immune to being lambasted by the media and activist groups out there. I don't see them toning it down for the upcoming seasons as well, full speed ahead.

Kyou

Shireen's death scene might have actually been more shocking to me than anything else in the show.

I don't mean that it was out of Stannis's character or completely unforeseen as some others seem to feel, but rather that it was so starkly uncompromising even relative to what we've already witnessed. A father burning alive his disfigured, precocious child for coldly pragmatic reasons as the scene tails off with his expressionless face and her blood-curdling screams. Harsh.

Yeah that was rough.

I really want Stannis to succeed just so her death wasn't pointless

abuC

drogon got pretty fucked up so all you need is a army with bows and they good

He's not fully grown, the picture from the keep in the first season gives a decent idea of how big they are supposed to be as adults

468px-Arya_Dragon.jpg

Monocle

Shireen's death scene might have actually been more shocking to me than anything else in the show.

I don't mean that it was out of Stannis's character or completely unforeseen as some others seem to feel, but rather that it was so starkly uncompromising even relative to what we've already witnessed. A father burning alive his disfigured, precocious child for coldly pragmatic reasons as the scene tails off with his expressionless face and her blood-curdling screams. Harsh.
Yeah.

Yeah that was rough.

I really want Stannis to succeed just so her death wasn't pointless
No, he needs to die a miserable failure for being such an asshole. Can you believe this is the same guy who's so uppity about justice that he chopped off Davos's fingers after Davos saved his life, just because he was a smuggler? Daughter killing kind of compromises your moral authority, just saying. All those other people he let his witch burn alive don't do him much credit either.

Tainted

I could see Davos killing Stannis. As one find what he thinks is his faith, the other loses all of it.

Oh man..Davos is going to go ape shit when he returns from Castle Black. It's going to mean the end for either him or Stannis I bet. Hopefully Stannis...Davos seems like a decent bloke which is rare in Westeros

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
drogon got pretty fucked up so all you need is a army with bows and they good

You wouldn't say that when that dragon grows to an adult size. Shit will repel everything except in the eyes maybe but even still it'll be a hard target to harm.

Edit - yep look at that pic up there. No one will do shit to the full adult dragons.

Future

How does GoT get away with stuff like burning a child alive and older men having sex with teenage girls? It's like the show is immune to being lambasted by the media and activist groups out there. I don't see them toning it down for the upcoming seasons as well, full speed ahead.

It's actually pretty amazing how popular the show is given the content. Seriously. The pedophile dude I thought would of course be stopped by something.

Nope. Fucked some young girl and will do it again the next day.

Vespene

All you people complaining about Mannis not being a hero:

There are no heroes in this story. Everyone does despicable acts. Tyrion (revenge murder), Jon (executions), Dany (a lot more executions), Arya (murdering kids), Varys (torture), Rob (senseless decapitation). Ned's execution early in the story was there to show us that if you are noble and just, you head will roll. The only "pure" surviving characters like Bran and Sansa are helpless and will only become significant players when they too throw away their Mary Sue.

besada

Banned
What amazed me about the scene were the men. Sure, they're the King's men, and they're freezing to death, and they're terrified of Melisandre, but how do you lead men who watched you burn your child to death? Who wants to follow that guy? I'd be looking for the first opportunity to slink off in the middle of the night. Haul ass to the wall and take the black.

You'd think with how mad people were about Sansa that this episode would be causing much more outrage.

Five

Banned
What amazed me about the scene were the men. Sure, they're the King's men, and they're freezing to death, and they're terrified of Melisandre, but how do you lead men who watched you burn your child to death? Who wants to follow that guy? I'd be looking for the first opportunity to slink off in the middle of the night. Haul ass to the wall and take the black.

Where are they going to go? It's freezing and snowing everywhere around, and the rations in the camp are at an all-time low. Their only way out of the situation is following Stannis.

Disgraced

All you people complaining about Mannis not being a hero:

There are no heroes in this story. Everyone does despicable acts. Tyrion (revenge murder), Jon (executions), Dany (a lot more executions), Arya (murdering kids), Varys (torture), Rob (senseless decapitation). Ned's execution early in the story was there to show us that if you are noble and just, you head will roll. The only "pure" surviving characters like Bran and Sansa are helpless and will only become significant players when they too throw away their Mary Sue.
Well, to be fair, that was kind of euthanasia with Arya, and Sansa's kind of a brat sometimes. Also, Sam's a hero to me.

Because he burned his daughter for them. They see it as he's killing his own child so they can live. If that doesn't bring loyalty I don't know what will. He's willing to sacrifice his own family for his troops, his men, his *brothers.

Radec

Because he burned his daughter for them. They see it as he's killing his own child so they can live. If that doesn't bring loyalty I don't know what will. He's willing to sacrifice his own family for his troops, his men, his *brothers.

Stannis will also let them eat the remains of her daugther too!

cyba89

I totally expect, that this show will make us root for the Lannisters in the end. With Joffrey and Tywin dead and Cersei locked up those who are left (like Tommen, Jamie, Tyrion) don't seem too bad anymore compared to certain others.

Stannis, you were the chosen one! ;_;

when the show is all set and done i think the biggest mistake will be hiring emilia clarke as daenerys.. who else they consider for the role?

Tainted

I totally expect, that this show will make us root for the Lannisters in the end. With Joffrey and Tywin dead and Cersei locked up those who are left (like Tommen, Jamie, Tyrion) don't seem too bad anymore compared to certain others.

Stannis, you were the chosen one! ;_;

Tyrion is with team Targaryen now, hopefully Jaime & Bronn come along for the ride bringing Brienne as well. Now that would be a team worth rooting for !

Monocle

when the show is all set and done i think the biggest mistake will be hiring emilia clarke as daenerys.. who else they consider for the role?
People say this but honestly I was just thinking tonight as I was watching her scenes that she doesn't bother me. I wonder if she's universally hated or if it's just some weird GAF thing. Not too many of my friends and family watch the show, but those who do are OK with her.

But to answer your question... Eva Green. (Fair warning, she is my answer for most things.)

Five

Banned
People say this but honestly I was just thinking tonight as I was watching her scenes that she doesn't bother me. I wonder if she's universally hated or if it's just some weird GAF thing. Not too many of my friends and family watch the show, but those who do are OK with her.

I'm not very good at separating scripts, actors and directors as far as a performance goes. All I know is that her character bores me and makes me cringe while most of the rest of the show does not. And I'm willing to accept my position as an outlier if there's evidence to say as much.

Moaradin

Just saw the episode. FUCK STANNIS.

I don't think I ever went from liking a character to hating a character so much in one episode.

Visceir

"We don't have enough food to get us back to Castle Black"

Melisandre's magic has proven to work in the past, Stannis had the stomach to do what needed to be done.

Trickster

Stannis keeps being the guy willing to make the hard choices in order to rid the world of real scum like the Boltons and ultimately the Lannisters.

Yeah it seems a bit harsh to burn his daughter alive, but what else he gonna do? Now he will be able to go and lay siege to winterfell and give that little jerk Ramsey Bolton what he deserves

All hail Stannis, the one true king!

Kevinroc

The Shireen sacrifice scene should have closed out the episode, I thought. I couldn't quite get into what happened with Dany, Tyrion, etc. after that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My problem with Emilie is that I think she's an absolutely fine actress when delivering really specific lines in equally specific scenes. I think her weakness is the role she was cast. She, as an actress, resonates a soft, non-threatening aura. So whenever she's more down to earth, happy, smiley, and warm to people she usually does a fine job. But her character requires a certain degree of authority and presence, of a ruler, a queen, and all the baggage that comes with it, and she just cannot deliver. It's just painfully obvious she's the wrong fit, so consistent it almost seems like part of her character.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Stannis had to do what he thought was right. He sacrificed one to save many.

BibleThump.png

To be honest I did not find it that shocking sadly had a feeling he would go through with it. I still think other deaths hit me & shocked me harder.

cyba89

hopefully Jaime & Bronn come along for the ride bringing Brienne as well. Now that would be a team worth rooting for !

That would totally make up for this uneventful season for these three characters.

Brienne and Jamie are two of my favorite characters and it's a shame they don't have anything meaningful to do. But I understand there are other storylines more important at the moment.

Zeliard

The Shireen sacrifice scene should have closed out the episode, I thought. I couldn't quite get into what happened with Dany, Tyrion, etc. after that.

I'm guessing the only reason it didn't is they wanted to end the episode on a more positive note. Even then it's still the event that dominates the episode.

Monocle

I'm not very good at separating scripts, actors and directors as far as a performance goes. All I know is that her character bores me and makes me cringe while most of the rest of the show does not. And I'm willing to accept my position as an outlier if there's evidence to say as much.

My problem with Emilie is that I think she's an absolutely fine actress when delivering really specific lines in equally specific scenes. I think her weakness is the role she was cast. She, as an actress, resonates a soft, non-threatening aura. So whenever she's more down to earth, happy, smiley, and warm to people she usually does a fine job. But her character requires a certain degree of authority and presence, of a ruler, a queen, and all the baggage that comes with it, and she just cannot deliver. It's just painfully obvious she's the wrong fit, so consistent it almost seems like part of her character.
I suppose it's true that she doesn't exactly bring gravitas and a commanding presence to her role as a queen. She's supposed to be young and inexperienced, though, so it kind of works.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I will never forgive Stannis. He was supposed to be the chosen one.
Knowing this show, it was all for nothing I assume. The Bolton's kill Stannis and we're supposed to feel as though he is worse. I don't think he's worse, but I can't believe what he just did.
That little girl was the most innocent character on the show. I didn't feel shit at the red wedding because I fucking hated all of those characters. What happened to this little girl got me though.

sappyday

Fucking Stannis you piece of shit. I believed deep down you weren't going to do that shit. But you did that shit.

The time flow of this season has been bothering me a lot. From Jon and Wildlings reaching the wall in one episode to Varys still having not showed up at Mereen. I know that they to just focus on pushing the story now, but it feels cheap.

Nerokis

I disagree completely. I love her in most queen-ly scenes; her moments of decisiveness, her manner of hovering around gracefully. You are supposed to be able to tell, though, that occasionally her authoritativeness is merely a mask, and deep down she is still learning, struggling, unsure. Clarke has fallen short before, but she has done a fine job overall. She manages to nail both the "badass Khaleesi" and the "impressive but inexperienced young woman" sides of her character, and she certainly has the presence of authority to make it easily believable that the people around her would follow her.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
A quote for reflection:

Stannis: "What is the life of one bastard boy against an entire kingdom?"

Ser Davos: "Everything"

FeD.nL

Pff Shireen :'(

Stannis is officially a worse dad than Roose.

In what version was Roose ever a worse dad than Stannis, as far as dads go Roose is probably at the top-end of the show. Gives his bastard responsibilities while he's out fighting a war, makes his bastard his legitimate son, reaffirms his son that he is a Bolton.

Jackpot

Banned
As bad as eps 1-7.

Ramsay is stupidly overpowered. Food stores would be doubly guarded to stop your own men from looting them when you're that hard-up.

Stannis is just a joke. What was the point of building him up as caring for his daughter and building his wife up as hating her to do a 180 on both characters? Just so they can go "wat a twist!!!!!!!!!" to viewers?

What exactly was the point of the entire Dorne arc? Nothing happened, no characters were developed. It seems its only point was to keep Jamie out of King's Landing.

Jorah constantly got his ass kicked in the pits. Fights were as bad as the sandsnakes.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
As bad as eps 1-7.

Ramsay is stupidly overpowered. Food stores would be doubly guarded to stop your own men from looting them when you're that hard-up.

Stannis is just a joke. What was the point of building him up as caring for his daughter and building his wife up as hating her to do a 180 on both characters? Just so they can go "wat a twist!!!!!!!!!" to viewers?

What exactly was the point of the entire Dorne arc? Nothing happened, no characters were developed. It seems its only point was to keep Jamie out of King's Landing.

Jorah constantly got his ass kicked in the pits. Fights were as bad as the sandsnakes.
This is exactly how I feel.

oti

Banned
The "you'll be free with one exception" scene was hilariously pointless. Only missing thing was the *woahwoahwoaaaaaaah* sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom