• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apt101

You also forgot that he killed his little brother with his creepy shadow baby, right?

As I have noted, siblings battling for the crown kill each other. Just more of the same. Plus Renly was in a position to throw the entire kingdom into turmoil. A sword, arrow, assassin, shadow baby, doesn't matter.

General rule of storytelling: When a dude assassinates his morally-superior brother, burns his daughter alive and generally sells his soul to an evil fire god - that dude is not doing it to be a mensch for the realm.

If he survives against the Bolton's, he's totally going to run up against Jon.

Oh I'm not saying he will be the savior but I think his decision is a little more nuanced than simply being a power hungry person who wants to sit on the throne. I think in his mind every sacrifice has been to save the realm and for the greater good.

This scene was an important one.

I don't know how people in this thread can be surprised by Shireen sacrifice when it was already theorised and discussed fifty pages ago.
I was a little afraid for my boy Bronn when they mentioned "one condition", this show led me to immediately suspect only horrible things :/
Jorah roll was hilarious. We Dark Souls now!

Apt101

I don't know how people in this thread can be surprised by Shireen sacrifice when it was already theorised and discussed fifty pages ago.
I was a little afraid for my boy Bronn when they mentioned "one condition", this show led me to immediately suspect only horrible things :/
Jorah roll was hilarious. We Dark Souls now!

Jorah's success was guaranteed. It showed that all those who, in some way, from her humble beginnings to the present, supported the queen lived to fight in the "new world' she created even as she fled it. That smooth-ass move was just icing on the cake. I have a feeling it will be poetic in the end.

Nerokis

I find it weird that people are saying they only sacrificed her for shock value. What he did is completely in line with his character. He has killed kin before and believes in risking it all to defend his claim to the throne. He will do ANYTHING to sit on that throne.

Yeah, it is the "shock value" claims that seem random to me. This has been a long time coming. Even all the "aww, look at Stannis being the one decent individual who could do some good...!" scenes have been building up to this. All the character development up to now, the moving scene with his daughter, the scene where he encourages Sam to keep learning about White Walkers, all of that is still 100% valid. But this event is a reminder as well as a lesson: no one in this show is 100% good, or lovable, or whatever else, and even those who seem good overall are capable of horrible things. Just as the touching/nice/whatever scenes showed us how loving, fair, and thoughtful Stannis can be, this scene showed us his capacity for cruelty, among other things.

The amazing thing is that the term "villain" people here are throwing around never came to my mind. I can't see him as a villain. Just someone who is suddenly so, so much harder to like.

Pimpwerx

Well, that was pretty fucked up. I'm glad they had Dany fly off on a dragon to end things. It let me leave on a positive note. PEACE.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The foreshadowing frequently makes future scenes painfully predictable. And I dont really mind. The series has been doing it for awhile. But I feel the character development and exposition for their reasoning just gets less and worse over time. Season One is still the only one to almost perfectly patiently develop the entire cast and their journey.

Loved the Drogon scene. For a moment there I thought he was going to die when he was getting hammered with spears. Dany climbing on top was a legit "Holy shit" moment for me. The show has never done anything like that'll date.

I hope we can get some swooping attacking ala LOTR style from Drogon later on, wiping entire groups of guys of their feet.

Agreed.

Artanisix

that was the saddest fucking episode ever
BibleThump.png

Lamel

Banned
Just saw the episode...

FUCK YOU FUCKING RED LADY BITCH AND FUCK YOU STANNIS YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE. I HOPE YOU BOTH BURN.

FUCK.

Her screams man...

Xamdou

Dr. Bashir I mean King Doran is a better King than Stannis and Tommen confirmed after this ep. Was never part of the Stannis bandwagon and after what he did solidified it.

Daenerys don't need an army, she just needs her dragons plus two additional dragon riders to invade Westeros!

demolitio

The foreshadowing frequently makes future scenes painfully predictable. And I dont really mind. The series has been doing it for awhile. But I feel the character development and exposition for their reasoning just gets less and worse over time. Season One is still the only one to almost perfectly patiently develop the entire cast and their journey.

Yup. They used to leave us subtle clues but now it's a lot more obvious. We went from foreshadowing most people only realized afterwards (I remember being called a book reader for a few things I predicted) to blatantly obvious for everyone to see which takes a lot of the fun out of it even though they try to mix it up from time to time.

Seems like they wanted more people to pick up on it which in turn made parts of the story a lot more obvious. Still plenty to speculate over though. :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Everyone needs catharsis by the onion knight.

I don't know which I'd rather see, Davos just walking into the tent and slitting Stannis throat or having Stannis get crushed my the weight of his action and kill himself.

Makes me wonder if Davos even gets back before next season.

Nerokis

I don't know which I'd rather see, Davos just walking into the tent and slitting Stannis throat or having Stannis get crushed my the weight of his action and kill himself.

Makes me wonder if Davos even gets back before next season.

My only hope for Shireen was that Stannis would end up sacrificing himself instead. :(

nubbe

This was completely expected from Stannis
The only one holding him back is Davos

I can't understand how anyone would think anything else

I7NBbbE.gif

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Can someone explain to me why Doran just squashed all interest in the Dorne storyline?

Not all that dramatic at all.

idonteven

Dr. Bashir I mean King Doran is a better King than Stannis and Tommen confirmed after this ep. Was never part of the Stannis bandwagon and after what he did solidified it.

Daenerys don't need an army, she just needs her dragons plus two additional dragon riders to invade Westeros!

drogon got pretty fucked up so all you need is a army with bows and they good

raindoc

Well... that is one way to ruin a morning.
Really wished I had read the spoilers now.

Fuck Stannis, fuck GRRM, fuck D&D, wouldn't touch Melissandre with a stick now.

Fuck!

Five

Banned
...Stannis' death, what else. I think Davos would just be pushed over the edge. I don't think he will follow Stannis after that. When he finds out, he's just going to lung at him to kill.

Right, but, like, why? I get that you're upset he murdered his kid but do you not want him to fight the Boltons and the white walkers?

And also we're talking about a guy who thanked Stannis for cutting his fingers off. Like it or not, Davos has Stockholm Syndrome.

Right, but, like, why? I get that you're upset he murdered his kid but do you not want him to fight the Boltons and the white walkers?

And also we're talking about a guy who thanked Stannis for cutting his fingers off. Like it or not, Davos has Stockholm Syndrome.

Yeah, but not after this. He considered that a just punishment for his own crime. He stopped Stannis from killing Gendry when it was about to cost Him his life to do it. He loved the princess. I don't think there is any way to takes orders again. Stannis can't be the good king Davos fantasized about after this.

He isn't going to care about 'the war'. he may not even think about it. I think Davos kind of loses it.

Insaniac

I was a little surprised that it was Stannis' wife who ran for her daughter, because I was under the impression that her mother loathed her?

Five

Banned
Yeah, but not after this. He considered that a just punishment for his own crime. He stopped Stannis from killing Gendry when it was about to cost Him his life to do it. He loved the princess. I don't think there is any way to takes orders again. Stannis can't be the good king Davos fantasized about after this.

He isn't going to care about 'the war'. he may not even think about it. I think Davos kind of loses it.

I mean, I suppose Stannis' fall is inevitable. It seems likely that the series is ultimately going to be dragons fighting against the armies of winter. I just hate Dany a lot more than I hate Stannis.

What if like the past..the Red Woman was right and he takes the North sets Sansa free and helps guard it along with the Nightswatch against the white walkers?

That would be unexpected.

King Hippo

Neo Member
With the new episode out today, this is irrelevant, but a cool little piece none the less.

Watched this scene again from the beginning of the season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZv6K_M-kio

At about 10 seconds, you see a girl walk past Arya that looks a lot like that other girl who is training to be a Faceless Man. She also has her hair done and is dressed like Arya in recent episodes when watching the thin man.

Zeliard

Shireen's death scene might have actually been more shocking to me than anything else in the show.

I don't mean that it was out of Stannis's character or completely unforeseen as some others seem to feel, but rather that it was so starkly uncompromising even relative to what we've already witnessed. A father burning alive his disfigured, precocious child for coldly pragmatic reasons as the scene tails off with his expressionless face and her blood-curdling screams. Harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom