• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

caesar

Banned
This show is shit. Hack writing, why the fuck would stannis do that. Some book person please pm me and confirm thats made up bs.

Oscar

LMFAO@ people in here saying Stannis was out of character. Hahahahahah

This is the SAME dude who we watched burn his own relatives alive in his INTRODUCTION. The SAME dude who has been taking his fire witches advice more often than not. How the fuck is him killing a relative and listening to his fire witch out of character when we've seen he is more than capable of doing this and being a major cunt? It is totally IN character.

It's amazing how people didn't see this guy was a total cunt from the get go. It was written there in plain black and white. Did Stannis need a sign on his back that said "TOTAL CUNT" for some of you to finally get it after 4 seasons of his cuntery?

Since day uno I've been utterly baffled by this characters hardcore following. It made no damn sense then, and 4 seasons later, it makes no damn sense now.
Yeah I never understood if the whole "Stannis the Mannis" thing was just like a meme/trolling train, but it seems as though most people on it were legit rooting for Stannis with no regards to his previous actions/behavior. Just minutes before this event, he ordered some of his own men to be hanged for not catching the 20 men Ramsay snuck in to light shit on fire. He's an asshole lol.

I personally like his character, ruthless bastard makes for some entertaining television.

I'm pretty shocked Stannis did it. I said this before but I can't picture him ending out king as a child killer and I didn't think he would make it past the Boltons without the sacrifice. Maybe the god gets exposed as a fraud. Brianne still got a target on his head too. Anyway fuck him.

This is the SAME dude who we watched burn his own relatives alive in his INTRODUCTION. The SAME dude who has been taking his fire witches advice more often than not. How the fuck is him killing a relative and listening to his fire witch out of character when we've seen he is more than capable of doing this and being a major cunt? It is totally IN character.

It's amazing how people didn't see this guy was a total cunt from the get go. It was written there in plain black and white. Did Stannis need a sign on his back that said "TOTAL CUNT" for some of you to finally get it after 4 seasons of his cuntery?

Since day uno I've been utterly baffled by this characters hardcore following. It made no damn sense then, and 4 seasons later, it makes no damn sense now.

I've been thinking he was gonna sacrifice his daughter since like season 2 or some shit. Then they have that heart felt scene this season with him and his daughter and I thought he might not. Figures it was a trick!

Disgraced

I'm pretty shocked Stannis did it. I said this before but I can't picture him ending out king as a child killer and I didn't think he would make it past the Boltons without the sacrifice. Maybe the god gets exposed as a fraud. Brianne still got a target on his head too. Anyway fuck him.
Macbeth became king.

More people need to realize this. I'm not condoning child frying, but it was a more complex decision than being 'brainwashed by that witch' or merely wanting to sit on the Iron Throne out of greed. Stannis believes he's been chosen by a true to life God(who's shown his power many times) to save humanity. Not reaching out and grabbing his destiny is to tarnish his legacy and condemn everyone to the most terrible fate.

This is something people need to come to terms with. As harsh as it was seeing Shireen go he believes he is chosen.

Another thing people have to consider is that by sacrificing his daughter he may have also saved hundreds of lives that are out there with him.

Personally, I feel that Stannis is tormented by it all and it's why you never see him even crack a smile, nothing.

Outside of The Wall and The Wildlings he is the only one that has put forth any bit of thought (and then some) towards the true evil. Was it disturbing and disgusting? Absolutely, was it for the greater good? He believes so.

Apt101

Yeah I never understood if the whole "Stannis the Mannis" thing was just like a meme/trolling train, but it seems as though most people on it were legit rooting for Stannis with no regards to his previous actions/behavior. Just minutes before this event, he ordered some of his own men to be hanged for not catching the 20 men Ramsay snuck in to light shit on fire. He's an asshole lol.

I personally like his character, ruthless bastard makes for some entertaining television.

Ordering men killed for failing at their duty is what kingly people in that universe, and their analogues in the real world, do (Eddard Stark chopping off the head of a Night's Watch deserter despite him fleeing from White Walkers, for example). That's not the problem. It was suddenly deciding to murder his own daughter and sole heir at a chance to win a battle.

We've been shown that he's hard, unbending, and a loyal follower of his religion. But this is something else. It's a man breaking and forsaking what he, at his core, believes in. A man that was unbreakable suddenly breaking like this is out of the blue and stupid.

My opinion anyways.

Outside of The Wall and The Wildlings he is the only one that has put forth any bit of thought (and then some) towards the true evil. Was it disturbing and disgusting? Absolutely, was it for the greater good? He believes so.

Yeah and then he was willing to ignore that and take all their food and rations while he tries to become king. He's gone off the deep end. He givtih no fucks about winter coming anymore.

Satch

Banned

this iconic drag

i agree with you so much, stannis fans are so desperate

kidko

There is an awful lot of book talk in a thread with no book talk allowed. Winter is coming when the mods wake up tomorrow.

Oscar

I've been thinking he was gonna sacrifice his daughter since like season 2 or some shit. Then they have that heart felt scene this season with him and his daughter and I thought he might not. Figures it was a trick!
Ramsay and Roose Bolton had a similar scene ("You're my son"). I told my gf both scenes had awkward "forced bonding with my kid" vibes, and sure enough this happened. In those scenes, the dad's have expressionless faces/blank stares despite the words coming out of their mouths. At least that's how it seemed to me when I watched them.

Anyway, regarding the god(s) being a fraud, nah. Haven't these gods shown their powers a few times already? (that weird entity assassinating Renly, magic healing Beric after The Hound chopped him in half).

If I had a nickel for every time the internet was outraged at Game of Thrones and claimed to be DONE WITH IT BECAUSE FUCK THIS SHOW, I'd have...lots of nickels by now.

Was the kid being burnt alive and screaming through it all necessary to be done in real time? Fuck man.

Can't the hug between father and daughter be enough (we aren't idiots, we know what he's going to do); just have Davos figure out when he discovers the toy burnt up when he returns.

Meh.

If they had gone that route we'd already have dozens of "Shireen isn't really dead" conspiracy theories.

Fanuilos

The question for me has been, "How far is he going to go? How much does he really believe in this god?" Sure, he has killed numerous people in the exact fashion. Relatives, loyal followers, enemies. He probably would have done the same to Renly if given the chance. Tonight we finally learned just how far he would go. Since his retreat from Blackwater he has followed Melisandre's guidance no matter what. This season brought his relationship with Shireen to forefront. It became crystal clear that he really does love her. Stannis has always been a rigid cold character, but Shireen managed to coax some warmth and care from him. We have seen no other character have that relationship with him.

I think that is why it is so shocking and upsetting. Shireen brought out the human in Stannis, and he was so close to not taking this step. Unfortunately he chose to follow his religion and kill his daughter and the remaining portion of his humanity. He has fully dedicated himself to this religion. It's rather interesting given just how important religion is in our society, and I think that is another reason Stannis and his story is interesting.

Sheroking

Ramsay and Roose Bolton had a similar scene ("You're my son"). I told my gf both scenes had awkward "forced bonding with my kid" vibes, and sure enough this happened. In those scenes, the dad's have expressionless faces/blank stares despite the words coming out of their mouths. At least that's how it seemed to me when I watched them.

Anyway, regarding the god(s) being a fraud, nah. Haven't these gods shown their powers a few times already? (that weird entity assassinating Renly, magic healing Beric after The Hound chopped him in half).

We saw a bunch of supernatural shit. What we haven't seen is evidence there are "gods" behind it.

Yeah and then he was willing to ignore that and take all their food and rations while he tries to become king. He's gone off the deep end. He givtih no fucks about winter coming anymore.

Well I think the goal for Stannis right now is essentially to capture the iron throne before winter comes in full effect. That way he has a better (the best?) base of power in which to build a defense against the white walkers.

Although he has no idea what's happened at Hardhome yet of course.

Fair enough, I think he was just trying to get rid of Davos and not really expecting to get what he asked for.

Apt101

Either last season or the one before it it was shown that The Lord of Light grants his followers the power to bring back the dead. Numerous seasons have shown that it grants power for sacrifices. The Other god clearly grants immense power to its followers.

So yea, hard to believe either of them turn out to be fraudulent.

caesar

Banned
have you been WATCHING THE SHOW? Like, at all? The Lord of Light commands it.
Like 4 eps ago 'you are my daughter'

2 eps ago 'fuck off mel'

Davos 'stannis is a good man'

This episode.. 'lets throw all that character building away for ayyy lmao shock value.'

this iconic drag

i agree with you so much, stannis fans are so desperate
image.php

Oscar

Ordering men killed for failing at their duty is what kingly people in that universe, and their analogues in the real world, do (Eddard Stark chopping off the head of a Night's Watch deserter despite him fleeing from White Walkers, for example). That's not the problem. It was suddenly deciding to murder his own daughter and sole heir at a chance to win a battle.

We've been shown that he's hard, unbending, and a loyal follower of his religion. But this is something else. It's a man breaking and forsaking what he, at his core, believes in. A man that was unbreakable suddenly breaking like this is out of the blue and stupid.

My opinion anyways.
Stannis had his brother Renly assassinated by that shadowy guy, and his brother in law Axell burned alive. To put this kind of behavior past him is silly, he doesn't care about family. He's always been ruthless and cold hearted.

rando14

2 eps ago 'fuck off mel'

This episode.. 'lets throw all that character building away for ayyy lmao shock value.'

They didn't throw away Stannis character building... they've just built Stannis into an extremely desperate man

Stannis had his brother Renly assassinated by that shadowy guy, and his brother in law Axell burned alive. To put this kind of behavior past him is silly, he doesn't care about family. He's always been ruthless and cold hearted.
How was the assassination cold hearted? He met Renly face to face and told him to stop the uprising, would you rather have both fighting forces decimate each other and then whoever came out on top lose to the Lannisters?

2 eps ago 'fuck off mel'

If this was shocking, you haven't been watching the show. Everyone, everrryone expected this. No one wanted it, but everyone expected it, even more so with the character building.

That was the hardest scene to watch (or rather listen to) in the whole series for me.

It wasn't shocking in the sense of it happening because everyone expected it to happen even if nobody wanted it, but what made it shocking was the execution. Shireen's slow realization of what is about to happen, her begging for her life and calling her father, Stannis' cold stare, Melissandre being completely indifferent and lacking any sort of empathy, Selyse (of all people!) realizing that shit was fucked up but being unable to do anything and, of course, Shireen's actress flawless performance (sorry, I don't know her name).

The scene was hard to stomach.

This "Stannis had to do what he did because it's the fate of the world vs shireens life" still doesn't make Stannis any less of a piece of shit. I could see if it were something like sacrificing shireen will magically kill all white walkers or something, but he basically killed her on a gamble that something beneficial may come out of it. And with the way religious people see signs when they are determined to, it's almost a given that something good will eventually happen that they'll attribute to the sacrifice. What a piece of shit god the Lord of Light is too. Stannis is already worshipping him and putting him on his sigil but that's not enough, your gonna have to kill your little daughter if you really want my help. Stannis was so worried about being "the king who ran" but now he's "the Kinslayer."

I really enjoyed finally seeing Dany ride a dragon. It's just a shame she locked the other two up for something the big one did and now they probably hate her. Drogon is like a teenager and he's never been attacked before. He basically ran into the hornet's nest to help his mother. I'm sure once he get's bigger and isn't forced to get in close on the ground like that he'll be unstoppable. Especially if he gets as big as that skull in the red keep.

I definitely thought Merrin was going to ask for Arya in the brothel. That's most likely what I think will happen next week since he said "bring me a fresh one" tomorrow or whatever. I was ready for Jaqen to be pissed off or something but nothing... he obviously knows she's lying.

And I thought Olly was about to pull some shit when him and Snow looked at each other. I thought maybe he had organized some sort of attack. I was waiting for Jon to be like " Yo, cut the shit, white walkers are for real and we need to focus" but it's like nobody from the battle with the walkers thought anyone at the wall would find it interesting.

Oh, and once again Dorne was zzzzzzzzz....... 2 great episodes in a row tho and it looks like episode 10 will have some meat on it instead of just being an "aftermath" episode.

caesar

Banned
If this was shocking, you haven't been watching the show. Everyone, everrryone expected this. No one wanted it, but everyone expected it, even more so with the character building.
I thought they were setting it up to do it behind his back.. not order it and then watch it while looking stone faced.

Apt101

Renly was his enemy to his claim (typical of a king or nobility to battle siblings), and his extended family offended his beliefs (perfectly within character for someone in his position and in this universe). His claim is iron by right of succession as that world knows it, and his devotion to this idea is why he fought so hard to save his daughter and heir in the first place. To do this? Doesn't make much sense outside of a need to move the plot along and shock value IMO.

xaosslug

2 eps ago 'fuck off mel'

Yes, and he probably would have stuck to that/defied his God had that 20-man crew not dealt them such a huge blow (which Stannis probably took as his God's wrath for not obeying him) Get it? Stannis was like 'fuck the Lord of Light, I got this!' and then was reality checked, so to speak.

Will it be worth it Stannis? Will it???

;_;

He's a believer. That's what matters. Melisandre (I still love ya for reaosn) has him wrapped around her finger. "People" should be looking at why the sacrifice took place within the story. That wasn't for shock value, that was a true believer doing what he's been told was necessary to survive and ascend to his perceived rightful place on the throne.

And before I forget, so much good stuff happened in the final bit, we got the Achilles jump spear move from Troy. That was a nice homage.

Edit:

CG821wKUIAAp4O7.jpg

Ralemont

not me

He does care, he just thinks saving the world is more important. This was clearly a tough decision for him, even going so far as to say he hates himself for what he thinks he has to do.

jayu26

Speaking of supernatural elements and Gods, I hope that explanation for it is just enough for our minds to make sense of it without explicitly spelling it out for us. I want it ro generate debate on the specifics of it, while everyone understand as to what general idea is.

Five

Banned
How was the assassination cold hearted? He met Renly face to face and told him to stop the uprising, would you rather have both fighting forces decimate each other and then whoever came out on top lose to the Lannisters?

Yeah. Sacrificing one for the good of many is not cold-hearted. You know what was cold? When Rob waged a war just to save his father, and when he made the war a lot worse just to save his wife, and when he sent two thousand men to die just for Jamie Lannister (who he hoped he could trade for his sisters).

Compared to Rob Stark, Stannis Baratheon is a saint.

Eleuin

Oh I definitely don't think this came out of left field for stannis' character, doesn't make me any less sad about it

Hopefully Snowman and Davos ice both him and the the boltons

Apt101

Yeah. Sacrificing one for the good of many is not cold-hearted. You know what was cold? When Rob waged a war just to save his father, and when he made the war a lot worse just to save his wife, and when he sent two thousand men to die just for Jamie Lannister (who he hoped he could trade for his sisters).

Compared to Rob Stark, Stannis Baratheon is a saint.

Robb was fighting against people who clearly had no real claim to the throne, who had conspired together to murder his father - a good man trying to uncover the truth. All while knowing those miscreants had crippled his brother.

Robb Stark was totally in the right and his death was tragic.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
People need to stop throwing the phrase "shock-value" around so loosely, especially for a show that is as gritty and dark as this one. This is the shows nature. There is no "shock-value" here.

A 9 year old got pushed out a building after watching two siblings fucking doggy style and was crippled afterwards. That was the FIRST episode.....

Rape/child murder/incest/burning kids has been around since day one folks. Just because the show has now blown up and become part of our very culture doesn't mean they have to hold back on the shows darker nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom