• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildfire

Banned
Dragon summon was awesome but...

It won't stop me from remembering what Stannis did. Damn. Those screams.

In some ways they are justified going all the way with it.

While I thought it was fucked up how Stannis was sacrificing his citizens in the same manner in season 2 it never had the emotional punch this sacrifice did.

The strangest consequence compared to back then is that the mother who has been acting like a bitch to her own daughter and was praising the lord's name for his avarice ended up disagreeing with Shireen's sacrifice. I'll need to see subsequent actions to determine if this sudden change was fine.

Five

Banned
we should probably lay low for a bit.

Nah. I want to be counted amongst those who stood by Stannis' side.

From Reddit.

"He's no longer the Mannis... he's now: "
ks173tq.jpg

That's just a slant rhyme. Stannis would be so disappointed.

Nameless

You have to remember that he has been told he is the only chance the world has against the White Walkers. If he didn't sacrifices his daughter, in his eyes, the White Walkers would destroy the world.

More people need to realize this. I'm not condoning child frying, but it was a more complex decision than being 'brainwashed by that witch' or merely wanting to sit on the Iron Throne out of greed. Stannis believes he's been chosen by a true to life God(who's shown his power many times) to save humanity. Not reaching out and grabbing his destiny is to tarnish his legacy and condemn everyone to the most terrible fate.

Limit

I was super worked up when I said Stannis can not have a redemption arc any more. Of course he can. I just don't know if he is ever going to admit having regret about burning his own daughter alive. And poor Ser Davos. He is going to be absolutely heartbroken. :(

Ser Davos was more of a father to her than Stannis. Damn its going to be hard to watch when he hears of this news. Will he even stick around Stannis any more, calling him one true king and stuff?

This show is so amazing!

Five

Banned
I was super worked up when I said Stannis can not have a redemption arc any more. Of course he can. I just don't know if he is ever going to admit having regret about burning his own daughter alive.

I think the only possible case in which Stannis regrets his sacrifice is if he fails to defend the north. Obviously he's upset by having to make the decision, but I don't see him actually regretting it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Never liked Stannis.

And I fucking hate him now. I hope the Baratheon house is absolutely crushed and destroyed.

That episode was grueling to watch, and I'd actually preferred the death scene was done off camera.

Apt101

I think the only possible case in which Stannis regrets his sacrifice is if he fails to defend the north. Obviously he's upset by having to make the decision, but I don't see him actually regretting it.

I have a feeling the regret will fall on Melisandre. If she's even capable of such an emotion.

kingkitty

More people need to realize this. I'm not condoning child frying, but it was a more complex decision than being 'brainwashed by that witch' or merely wanting to sit on the Iron Throne out of greed. Stannis believes he's been chosen by a true to life God(who's shown his power many times) to save humanity. Not reaching out and grabbing his destiny is to tarnish his legacy and condemn everyone to the most terrible fate.

some evil is necessary in order to achieve the greater good.

Seeing a child being burnt alive in a ritual sacrifice as she pleads for her father has to decimate morale in what's left of the army. These are hired mercenaries for the Iron Bank right? They can't be that loyal to Stannis, even the brainwashed mother broke.

He still had a small group of men, followers of the lord of light. They were likely the ones there, and they probably were ok with it.

Sober

I don't know, I don't think GoT being a television show can be blamed here.

Whoever brought up Spartacus made a great point: there was a show operating on a much smaller budget, and yet the vast majority of the fight scenes are superbly choreographed and shot. Film quality stuff. Really, one of the many things that show did right.

Then again, Spartacus showrunners also had all the main gladiators participate in a summer-long bootcamp to prepare for those scenes. Doubt that doing that on the GoT set.
Spartacus fighting is pretty heavily choreographed and probably scripted very heavily too, plus the training aspect. And it's really flashy.

GoT fighting is probably closer to real fighting and is trying to strive for verisimilitude instead. I mean, yeah, it's not flashy - some fighters are flashier than others - but fights devolving into people basically grappling at each other cause they're too close to swing their weapons? That's more or less sometimes what trained fighters end up doing and it's also well documented in certain fighting manuals and stuff too. Sometimes you just have to disarm them or find a way to knock their weapon off guard long en ough so you can just squeeze one past them and that's all you need.

Jon Snow is the one true king even if he doesn't know it yet. So don't fuck it up Olly. Don't think just because you waited a week, it makes you any less suspicious you little douchenozzle.

Heh yeah, even that White Walker felt it (damn that battle last week was amazing as was their little staring contest at the end and his "come at me" pose as he raised the dead).

Also, LOL at the bolded, but right on I'm also worried about what that brat's gonna do too.

Avinexus

Did the camera work and/or VFX seem bad (compared to other work in the show) during that final scene to anyone else? I was completely taken out of the moment once that whole dragon riding thing started because of some of the shots.

Sober

Never liked Stannis.

And I fucking hate him now. I hope the Baratheon house is absolutely crushed and destroyed.

That episode was grueling to watch, and I'd actually preferred the death scene was done off camera.
We watch the same scene? Cause Shireen burning at the stake was pretty much all off-screen save for Melissandre lighting the pyre and a few reaction shots from the princess. Everything else was pretty much reverse angle from that.

Thought Stannis was going to die because he would not sacrifice his daughter. Guess he's staying in the game for awhile.

That passed through my head over the last few episodes also. Thought he would sacrifice himself. Or some big swerve that Davos had some royal blood in him.

My overall reaction is "kinda predictable." I'm more offended that it wasn't really a shock than what actually happened. They should have not had the scene earlier in the season that foreshadowed it. Then it would have been a better scene with more value.

Apt101

I don't know, I don't think GoT being a television show can be blamed here.

Whoever brought up Spartacus made a great point: there was a show operating on a much smaller budget, and yet the vast majority of the fight scenes are superbly choreographed and shot. Film quality stuff. Really, one of the many things that show did right.

Then again, Spartacus showrunners also had all the main gladiators participate in a summer-long bootcamp to prepare for those scenes. Doubt that doing that on the GoT set.

On one hand, that was one focused show mostly about fighting and making that the spectacle (it's about gladiators, after all). This is a collection of production units trying to work in concert, presumably working more towards story and drama. I find it, I don't know, odd, that people are coming down so hard on the certain fight scenes in this show. And even the ones more poorly done are still leagues above shit like Arrow (let me slowly flip off this car for no reason!) and others.

Eh. I'm cool with it. I find it entertaining.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Did the camera work and/or VFX seem bad (compared to other work in the show) during that final scene to anyone else? I was completely taken out of the moment once that whole dragon riding thing started because of some of the shots.

Yeah, the shots of Danny riding Drogon were kinda bad. Everything else was pretty dern good looking.

Disgraced

Yeah, you can only do so much with CG. As rewarding as it was seeing Dany cruise around on Drogon I think it would have been better if they had cut those shots and just stayed it to her hopping on and flying away.

Its about time GoT GAF got on the Stannis is a raging mad desperate for power cuntface. Never liked the dude and tonight only solidified it. The bitter irony gonna be so satisfying once he and Melisandre get cooked for dragon food.

She just left them there. Lmao.

Also, "the one true king" burns his only heir alive? I thought he cared about the Seven Kingdoms, so if he takes the throne (not gonna happen, but let's pretend it does) what happens after his death? Another war.
Besides being a cunt, Stannis is a fucking idiot.

And where the fuck is Varys?

Apt101

That's pretty sadistic man. Like 4chan humor levels.

She just left them there. Lmao.

I saw it as her basically finally embracing her true calling and source of power and realizing all of this nation building and political intrigue across the Narrow Sea is a waste of her time. She tried and failed. Time to fly off with her blood and forge her own future.

But probably not.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
On one hand, that was one focused show mostly about fighting and making that the spectacle (it's about gladiators, after all). This is a collection of production units trying to work in concert, presumably working more towards story and drama. I find it, I don't know, odd, that people are coming down so hard on the certain fight scenes in this show. And even the ones more poorly done are still leagues above shit like Arrow (let me slowly flip off this car for no reason!) and others.

Eh. I'm cool with it. I find it entertaining.

People love to complain and be hyperbolic. 'garbage', 'trash', 'horrible' get thrown around way too much in criticism these days. The production quality in GoT isn't perfect, but it's still some of the best on TV.

Apt101

Ahhhh, not the book :(

I already get the feeling that you were hinting something to me about Jon Snow :(

Ah whatever, I'm out for the week. I feel like people are dropping subtle spoilers, or maybe I'm just too paranoid.

Oh don't worry, the things I mentioned have absolutely no factor or foreshadowing on the show. At all. Not a single character or story beat.

Five

Banned
Also, "the one true king" burns his only heir alive? I thought he cared about the Seven Kingdoms, so if he takes the throne (not gonna happen, but let's pretend it does) what happens after his death? Another war.
Besides being a cunt, Stannis is a fucking idiot.

That's a problem for later. No point in saving his legacy if they're all going to die otherwise. If not Melisandre, the Boltons or white walkers would have killed Shireen.

Sean*O

Fuck Stannis, nobody will follow him after that.. least of all the onion knight. I hope Breinne catches up with him and caves his empty head in with the nearest rock.

xaosslug

You have to remember that he has been told he is the only chance the world has against the White Walkers. If he didn't sacrifices his daughter, in his eyes, the White Walkers would destroy the world.

Not to mention his 'God' commands it, and it's like... if you believed your God when he told you you have to burn a bunch of non-believers for him, and he's shown his 'power' in the past, why would you question him now?

There's a lot more at play here than just Stannis wanting the throne + thinking he didn't love his daughter.

Man, a quick scroll through this page and I keep seeing the word book. Edit: previous page.

Please, book readers can you stay out of this thread?

- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

Why is it that every week this has to be brought up.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
LMFAO@ people in here saying Stannis was out of character. Hahahahahah

This is the SAME dude who we watched burn his own relatives alive in his INTRODUCTION. The SAME dude who has been taking his fire witches advice more often than not. How the fuck is him killing a relative and listening to his fire witch out of character when we've seen he is more than capable of doing this and being a major cunt? It is totally IN character.

It's amazing how people didn't see this guy was a total cunt from the get go. It was written there in plain black and white. Did Stannis need a sign on his back that said "TOTAL CUNT" for some of you to finally get it after 4 seasons of his cuntery?

Since day uno I've been utterly baffled by this characters hardcore following. It made no damn sense then, and 4 seasons later, it makes no damn sense now.

Apt101

Fuck Stannis, nobody will follow him after that.. least of all the onion knight. I hope Breinne catches up with him and caves his empty head in with the nearest rock.

Oh Brienne killing Stannis, the one character (aside from Jaime Lannister, in a sense anyways) who have straight lived up to all their oaths and bonds doing in Stannis would be great. And not even an epic battle, just her demolishing him.

rando14

LMFAO@ people in here saying Stannis was out of character. Hahahahahah

This is the SAME dude who we watched burn his own relatives alive in his INTRODUCTION. The SAME dude who has been taking his fire witches advice more often than not. How the fuck is him killing a relative and listening to his fire witch out of character when we've seen he is more than capable of doing this and being a major cunt? It is totally IN character.

It's amazing how people didn't see this guy was a total cunt from the get go. It was written there in plain black and white. Did Stannis need a sign on his back that said "TOTAL CUNT" for some of you to finally get it after 4 seasons of his cuntery?

Since day uno I've been utterly baffled by this characters hardcore following. It made no damn sense then, and 4 seasons later, it makes no damn sense now.

Gotta admit, he had a pretty decent streak of doing cool stuff for a while!!

But, yeah, he is and always was, Stannis the Anus :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom