• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITT:
YgKgnYy.gif

Skux

Episodes like this are why I watch Game of Thrones. After last week's episode ended with a depressing but spectacular defeat, this was pure fist-pumping dragon-riding glory.

Stannis has always come across as a guy who would sacrifice everything to win. And now he took the ultimate terrible step. Whether or not it's worth it... we'll have to wait and see.

That surely can't be all we see of the Sand Snakes can it? Talk about underused.

I disagree completely. I love her in most queen-ly scenes; her moments of decisiveness, her manner of hovering around gracefully. You are supposed to be able to tell, though, that occasionally her authoritativeness is merely a mask, and deep down she is still learning, struggling, unsure. Clarke has fallen short before, but she has done a fine job overall. She manages to nail both the "badass Khaleesi" and the "impressive but inexperienced young woman" sides of her character, and she certainly has the presence of authority to make it easily believable that the people around her would follow her.

Exactly. Her queen character is an act in itself.

As bad as eps 1-7.

Ramsay is stupidly overpowered. Food stores would be doubly guarded to stop your own men from looting them when you're that hard-up.

Stannis is just a joke. What was the point of building him up as caring for his daughter and building his wife up as hating her to do a 180 on both characters? Just so they can go "wat a twist!!!!!!!!!" to viewers?

What exactly was the point of the entire Dorne arc? Nothing happened, no characters were developed. It seems its only point was to keep Jamie out of King's Landing.

Jorah constantly got his ass kicked in the pits. Fights were as bad as the sandsnakes.

The point of Dorne was to get on #TeamDoran and root for him to be the one true king in 2016.

Braag

Fuck, I had a hard time watching Shireen get burned. Hopefully something meaningful comes from her death, I want to see the Boltons die horribly.
And that final scene, I was excepting more from Drogon instead of turning into a pin cushion.

Vespene

I'm guessing the only reason it didn't is they wanted to end the episode on a more positive note. Even then it's still the event that dominates the episode.

They wanted to end the episode with the obligatory cut to black + dragon shriek. It's happens on 10% of all Game of Thrones episodes:

Season 1 EP 10
Season 2 EP 8
Season 3 EP 3
Season 3 EP 10
Season 5 EP 9

misho8723

Banned
Why are people bitching about the CGI? Yeah, the flying part wasn't great, but still good for a TV show and the close-ups of Drogon head were fantastic, way better than any CGI dinosaurs in any Jurassic World trailer released so far..

P.S. and yeah, the show version of Stannis can go to hell

Well that was unnecessarily depressing. Don't care if it was predicted. Don't really care what happens to Stannis or the fucking Boltons or whatever fuck face is trying to get the throne any more. Last scene was also meh. At this point I think I might back the White Walkers.

I thought this was in character for Stannis. He was backed into a corner. He comes across as a guy that doing anything for victory, but doesnt take joy in it. I could feel it pained him to do it. Still a scumbag thing to do. His soldiers will follow him though, he killes his daughter to keep alive. (Just to get to his ends of course).

The ramsay thing though, thats some shit. Some action hero stuff, haha. Why wouldnt they be guarding that stuff extra careful . How did they get away with it. Come on.

Skux

People forget this show is made on a fraction of the budget of a blockbuster like the Avengers, and that money has to stretch out for 10 hours of content.

Drogon looked incredible.

zugzug

remind me again why we were supose to be excited they cast Dr. Bashir on this show when his role was/is so fucking worthless.

7aged

God damn at the Stannis defence force here. "I hope her sacrfice is worth it"?????? WTF
He murdered an innocent girl in cold blood. A cruel, painful death at that.

remind me again why we were supose to be excited they cast Dr. Bashir on this show when his role was/is so fucking worthless.
I suspect he has a bigger part to play going forward. He seems like a wily character.

mxgt

Banned
The ending scene was straight up terrible. Things that bothered me:

1. Surrounded by a million harpies that do nothing but attack 1 by 1 until dramatic dragon entrance is set up
2. Harpies continuing to not attack and instead throw spears at the dragon and not the characters who are just standing there in the open.
3. Dany just fucking flying off and leaving them there. Also why the fuck are they staring in awe when THERE ARE STILL HARPIES THERE. Or did they just magically disappear?

Also the fighting was bad

It was a cool spectacle, but logically it was awful. Like, what the fuck man.

I thought this was in character for Stannis. He was backed into a corner. He comes across as a guy that doing anything for victory, but doesnt take joy in it. I could feel it pained him to do it. Still a scumbag thing to do. His soldiers will follow him though, he killes his daughter to keep alive. (Just to get to his ends of course).

The ramsay thing though, thats some shit. Some action hero stuff, haha. Why wouldnt they be guarding that stuff extra careful . How did they get away with it. Come on.

Because Ramsay is a favoured plot device...He is no more realistic than say John becoming leader of the night watch at 16.

FeD.nL

Well Stannis his men looked just horrible, I mean they have been sitting there in the biting cold for weeks now with barely any food. It's not that an entire army of Boltons came in but a small group that has been fed properly with good shelter vs. guards that are beaten and broken by the cold and hunger. It's not that hard to imagine that small group sneaking in and doing their thing in these conditions.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Fuck, I had a hard time watching Shireen get burned. Hopefully something meaningful comes from her death, I want to see the Boltons die horribly.
And that final scene, I was excepting more from Drogon instead of turning into a pin cushion.
You mean like killing dozens of guys and saving his mother?

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
The ending scene was straight up terrible. Things that bothered me:

1. Surrounded by a million harpies that do nothing but attack 1 by 1 until dramatic dragon entrance is set up
2. Harpies continuing to not attack and instead throw spears at the dragon and not the characters who are just standing there in the open.
3. Dany just fucking flying off and leaving them there. Also why the fuck are they staring in awe when THERE ARE STILL HARPIES THERE. Or did they just magically disappear?

Also the fighting was bad

It was a cool spectacle, but logically it was awful. Like, what the fuck man.
Yes, logically it didn't make much sense.

Don't forget the harpies are not training fighters. Which is why I'm wondering why the unsullied fair so poorly.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No nudity this week, but they made up for it. Also, I am starting to believe she really is the most beautiful woman in the world. She needs to be in more things.

Skux

Because riding a dragon is fucking awesome. I don't mind the writers stretching believability a little bit to give us that moment.

Because Ramsay is a favoured plot device...He is no more realistic than say John becoming leader of the night watch at 16.

For some reason i am more accepting of Jon be leader of the watch, haha.

He was raised a kings son, being a leader. old lorde saw it and took him under his wing, they vote on stuff there, so he just needs support.

DrBo42

I never thought I'd get an Emilia Clarke Neverending Story shot. Made me so happy. All those fights were terrible though. Maybe I'm remembering Oberyn and the Hound vs Brienne with rose-tinted glasses? I could swear they were miles above what we're getting this season.

For some reason i am more accepting of Jon be leader of the watch, haha.

He was raised a kings son, being a leader. old lorde saw it and took him under his wing, they vote on stuff there, so he just needs support.

oh I agree with that. Ramsay is a bastard plus has a stinking personality and revolting habits...I honestly don't think he would last that long. Plus the guy is pretty scrawny and was never taught how to fight and yet he pulls this off...Again he is a plot device and a rather blatant one.

Sheroking

I never thought I'd get an Emilia Clarke Neverending Story shot. Made me so happy. All those fights were terrible though. Maybe I'm remember Oberyn and the Hound vs Brienne with rose-tinted glasses? I could swear they were miles above what we're getting this season.

You're not misremembering them, but the comparison is unfair. 1v1 scenes are a little cheaper and easier to choreograph than ones that require a ton of extras, and that's been every fight this season.

Sheroking

oh I agree with that. Ramsay is a bastard plus has a stinking personality and revolting habits...I honestly don't think he would last that long. Plus the guy is pretty scrawny and was never taught how to fight and yet he pulls this off...Again he is a plot device and a rather blatant one.

Jon's sword is a plot device. A character they've spent three years proving is competent, not so much.

Bearthgar

Banned
The Dorne scenes cracked me up, both the Sand Snake slap and Bronn elbowed.

I know the quality hasn't been great, but Jaime and Bronn's Wacky Dornish Journey has been fairly lighthearted fun. I was really worried about the poison a few episodes back, though.

Chichikov

God damn at the Stannis defence force here. "I hope her sacrfice is worth it"?????? WTF
He murdered an innocent girl in cold blood. A cruel, painful death at that.
The less child actors on the show, the better.
I mean he's a grammar nazi, and a failed one at that so he can go fuck himself, but they should kill every single kid on that show, especially the ones that are involved in boring plotlines that goes nowhere.

Sheroking

The Dorne scenes cracked me up, both the Sand Snake slap and Bronn elbowed.

I know the quality hasn't been great, but Jaime and Bronn's Wacky Dornish Journey has been fairly lighthearted fun. I was really worried about the poison a few episodes back, though.

There better be a pay-off for the Dorne storyline, otherwise it was just a lazy way to get Jamie out of Kings Landing so they could screw over Cersei.

Pff Shireen :'(

In what version was Roose ever a worse dad than Stannis, as far as dads go Roose is probably at the top-end of the show. Gives his bastard responsibilities while he's out fighting a war, makes his bastard his legitimate son, reaffirms his son that he is a Bolton.
Yeah I know, I actually like the Bolton's. The Bolton's just get a lot of flak because they're a bit psychotic and have a thing for skinning the shit out of people (Red Wedding probably didn't help either). Ramsay may be a monster that Roose raised, but he at least legit raised Ramsay and for the most part Ramsay is actually a pretty smart guy. Gets the job done, can be trusted with missions, didn't do stupid shit out of honor like Robb did, he just gets a little bit out of hand though.

That Shireen scene was nearly unwatchable. God damn. Also, I'm surprised at how weak that dragon was. A couple of dozen dudes with spears could probably kill him.

oti

Banned
Today: "That poor little girl. She didn't deserve this."

Next week, giant flaming Phoenix aids Stannis, wins: "Worth it."

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
There better be a pay-off for the Dorne storyline, otherwise it was just a lazy way to get Jamie out of Kings Landing so they could screw over Cersei.

I have a feeling that the Dornish king (don't know his name) set this whole thing up and that he wants his son and Myrcella in King's Landing so that his son can bump off Tommen and become king.

Enco

It's time for Dany to nuke that place from orbit already.
It seems like she got on the dragon to go get the other two?

Then she can burn them all.

I guess the Harpies are all the ex-slaves? What douchebags.

Stannis was never really cool. He has killed too many good people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom