• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, y'all don't watch it subbed? I watch everything subbed :(

nahlakhai

I mean that in the sense of developer commentary, not further explanation in-universe. It's a scene that makes sense in retrospect, which can be fine sometimes, but I don't think they were trying to confuse us. There's no reason to, unless they just wanted to say "lol, look how racist our viewers are, all unsullied look the same".

I guess I just don't get what Tyrion saw in her. She's petulant and not very intelligent, nor in my opinion very pretty. Tyrion has otherwise remarked of the beauty of Sansa, Cersei and Ros, and Shay looks very different from them. *shrugs*

Oh? Well that is too bad. I never know who to blame in situations like these, so I tend not to blame the otherwise competent people.

Not sure how the books portrayed her, but in my opinion the show portrayed it as being more of a fault of Tyrion falling in love with whores. Think back to that story that he told Bronn about his first love.

From my interpretation, Tyrion just fell for her and she played on his weakness. Maybe the previous prostitutes he had been with didn't make him feel the same way he did.

EDIT: The fact that she was with Tywin at the end of last season just solidifies it for me.

cormack12

Gold Member
Horrible casting choice. He's older than Sandor but looks about 20 years younger. First one was the best.

Agree. This one looks like he ia playing a part of a bad guy, like a WWE wrestler or something. The first one (who cut the horse's head off) looked far more menacing and evil.

Not sure how the books portrayed her, but in my opinion the show portrayed it as being more of a fault of Tyrion falling in love with whores. Think back to that story that he told Bronn about his first love.

From my interpretation, Tyrion just fell for her and she played on his weakness. Maybe the previous prostitutes he had been with didn't make him feel the same way he did.

EDIT: The fact that she was with Tywin at the end of last season just solidifies it for me.

Well I didn't buy her being with Tywin either. I thought he absolutely hated her, and Tywin had never been shown to give in to proclivities either.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it was kinda clear that Shae was just a whore, and always has been - and never actually felt anything for Tyrion. That's the risk of being rich with money, you never know if people are still suckling at your teat or not. But Tywin knew, so he decided to fuck that up for Tyrion. Just like when he was younger.

Anjelus_

Well I didn't buy her being with Tywin either. I thought he absolutely hated her, and Tywin had never been shown to give in to proclivities either.

Tywin Lannister was a hypocrite though. He rails and rails against whores the entire show, and in his last scene, what do you know, he's with a whore. I think it's meant to be ironic.

Guri

I actually believe that what drove Shae to backstab Tyrion was his marriage with Sansa and, after that, giving her more attention. We even see that conflict happening in many scenes before her treason. Tywin is clever and knew it could help in the trial.

Tywin Lannister was a hypocrite though. He rails and rails against whores the entire show, and in his last scene, what do you know, he's with a whore. I think it's meant to be ironic.

It felt contrived. I don't need Tywin to be a hypocrite to want him out of the picture. He already had enough going against him by being so upstanding, ruthless and self-righteous that he convicted his own son.

I actually believe that what drove Shae to backstab Tyrion was his marriage with Sansa and, after that, giving her more attention. We even see that conflict happening in many scenes before her treason. Tywin is clever and knew it could help in the trial.

I agree, and that makes me mad. Tyrion had effectively no choice in the matter, but she was ignoring that out of hand.

nahlakhai

See that's what confuses me. On one hand I felt like she was a whore and always one. But then she looks at the bedsheets on their wedding night and is somewhat satisfied with Tyrion not consummating.

It's possible I guess the last straw for her was him sending her away, but once again, that drives her mad enough to give testimony that sends him to his death AND sleep with his dad?

Guri

See that's what confuses me. On one hand I felt like she was a whore and always one. But then she looks at the bedsheets on their wedding night and is somewhat satisfied with Tyrion not consummating.

It's possible I guess the last straw for her was him sending her away, but once again, that drives her mad enough to give testimony that sends him to his death AND sleep with his dad?

She probably wanted to hurt him back and was offered with the opportunity, plus a lot of money. I don't think she looked for Tywin. He looked for her and persuaded her.

Vashetti

Banned
Like Emilia Clarke's eyebrows.

iv7YANYHMxtEI.gif

Yes? Is it a bad thing to prefer experiencing performances rather than reading them?

Hahaha, you lack experience, friend. I don't think you understand how your eyes or mind work in the matter. After using subtitles for over a decade, your eyes view the screen in an entirely different way. You see everything. You see details that you might otherwise have missed. You don't even look directly at the subtitles; your mind reads them subconsciously as the actors are saying the lines. It's hard to explain to Americans as they will usually never experience this, for fair enough reasons too; this is not a critique of any sort. My only point is that subtitles are only distracting for the inexperienced.

Hahaha, you lack experience, friend. I don't think you understand how your eyes or mind work in the matter. After using subtitles for over a decade, your eyes view the screen in an entirely different way. You see everything. You see details that you might otherwise have missed. You don't even look directly at the subtitles; your mind reads them subconsciously as the actors are saying the lines. It's hard to explain to Americans as they will usually never experience this, for fair enough reasons too; this is not a critique of any sort. My only point is that subtitles are only distracting for the inexperienced.

What makes this an American thing? Because most media is in English as it should be, so we don't need it interpreted?

MutFox

Banned

I'm not American, but if I understand the language, why do I need subs?

Vashetti

Banned
Really tame first episode back. Felt like a wasted episode to be honest.

Oh dear. Sorry to sound patronising but I feel really sorry for you.

I'm under no delusion that that was the greatest episode of GoT ever, but that was a very enjoyable, solid ep for me.

Loved every scene, not wasted at all.

Just gotta say, Mance's actor was great. His facial expressions when he was told he'd be burned alive. Great stuff. Him burning was a very intense scene.

I think John putting him out of his misery may help to win over the wildlings. They might respect him for what he did.

aravuus

Yes? Is it a bad thing to prefer experiencing performances rather than reading them?

After a certain point, you don't really pay attention to the subtitles as much as you seem to assume. LonelyGreyWolf sounds pretty condescending, but he's not wrong.

I suppose my English skills have been good enough for the past couple of years to watch without subtitles too, but I like having them. Definitely English ones though, not Finnish.

After a certain point, you don't really pay attention to the subtitles as much as you seem to assume. LonelyGreyWolf sounds pretty condescending, but he's not wrong.

I suppose my English skills have been good enough for the past couple of years to watch without subtitles too, but I like having them. Definitely English ones though, not Finnish.

That's fine, but they seem redundant unless you don't understand the language or can't hear it well enough.

the writers made Shae into such a villain.

total bullshit.

#teamshae

Is this like the #TeamChoChang group for Harry Potter? Because that I can relate to.

Nameless

Lord Royce is becoming one of my favorite minor characters -- such a great shit talker. Robyn Arryn does indeed swing a sword like a girl with palsy.

dLMN8R

Man, the more I think about this episode, the more I like it. I just don't agree with the "nothing happened" complaints at all.

• I love where things are going with the Tyrells. They've always been relatively important, but mostly background players. The scenes this episode totally elevated them and showed they're probably going to be *extremely* important. Margaery is probably one of the most intriguing characters on the show right now.
  • Mance. That's a pretty big event, people! This mythic figure who was an overbearing and terrifying concept for multiple seasons, reduced into nothingness at the end, has massive implications
  • Tyrion, Daenerys? Those conversations with Varys had me on the edge of my seat
  • Littlefinger? What is he up to....also loved seen little Robin get the shit knocked out of him over and over again.

I think it's my favorite season premier in years.

The makers trolled us with the first unsullied right ? Totally thought they recast Grey Worm at the moment. Nice one.
Stealth racism detector :p

(it got me too!)

Ok episode but as time goes on I get more bored with Daenerys - she's like Jack from Lost in that it's someone I feel we are meant to root for but is just Boring, it feels like it's going to be more and more centered around Her and if the series ever finishes I can't see past it being her on the throne.

She's basically John Cena to me.

It doesn't help that neither her or her new fella have any charisma, he isn't fit to touch Khal Drogo's hair!

Also I hope we haven't seen the last of Bronn, his pairing with Tyrion was amazing but I can't see much of a story for him now.

Nameless

My only complaint is we didn't enough Littlefinger and Sansa. Their dynamic is every bit as odd and fascinating as I hoped.

Z0BJhja.gif

16BitNova

So I think it's safe to say that the hottest on the show right now is Melisandre (the red witch) right? For the night is dark and full of sexy.

Robot Pants

go away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom