• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... Sansa and Theon are dead, right? You don't jump off the wall of a castle into a sheet of ice waiting below and survive that.... right?

Knowing this show If they are going to kill Sansa they would do that in such a way that is most torturing to the audiences.. it wont be as light-hearted as jumping off acastle wall.

Gobias

Banned
Benjin is long dead.His mom is some tavern wench who's probably dead. These things are kind of useless to learn in the grand scheme of things.

But she's clearly not. Yes, no character has "plot armor" or whatever, but there's no way Jon Snow stays dead. It would be the same as Danny dying; bad storytelling. There is no character on the wall to follow besides Jon, and no one to stop the white walkers that is in Westeroes.. He's way too important. There's also no other reason the scene of the Red Woman returning to the wall would be put in there unless it was very significant.

Maybe Melisandre will revive Jon and instead of being crazy and pushy like she was with Stannis, she'll be more humble since she's realized that she may not have the direct connection to the Lord of Light that she thought. I'm interested to see her character now that it will be more than the one emotion of "supremely confident religious fanatic."

...so she could get to The Wall.

The Lord works in mysterious ways indeed.

To save Jon, the one true king....!

I hope everyone here is right but man...when do we get what we want? Never.

Even today with Arya she get's some revenge and everyone is like yayyy....then the show is like naw fuck you, she's blind now.

To save Jon, the one true king....!

I hope everyone here is right but man...when do we get what we want? Never.

Even today with Arya she get's some revenge and everyone is like yayyy....then the show is like naw fuck you, she's blind now.

For real. Even the lame Dorne thread had a nice conclusion at least with Marcella saying she knows and Jamie finally getting a chance to be loved as a father from one of his kids. The show let us enjoy that for about 2-3 seconds before she died horribly from poison.

If john snow comes back, he emphasized the wildlings wouldn't follow stannis to Davos. But you know who they might follow........I say john takes back the wall, next season.

But she's clearly not. Yes, no character has "plot armor" or whatever, but there's no way Jon Snow stays dead. It would be the same as Danny dying; bad storytelling. There is no character on the wall to follow besides Jon, and no one to stop the white walkers that is in Westeroes.. He's way too important. There's also no other reason the scene of the Red Woman returning to the wall would be put in there unless it was very significant.

Who Jon's mother was or is is completely irrelevant. After Ned Stark's death the possibility of knowing her name or whatever was thrown out the window. What other character besides that brotherhood without banners guy and faceless men/women can escape death? The wall and everything in the North is fucked. Walkers are going to become a huge threat soon and that's going to shift the focus, especially when Danny makes her way to Westeros.

NolbertoS

Man, poor Jon Snow, but I had A feeling he was going to be betrayed. Why do I get thr feeking that Melisandre came to Castle Black because the Lord of Light has chosen Jon Snow. He'll be revived, betting that as the Lord of Lights champion and will have vengeance on his enemies.

Catdaddy

I knew nothing was going to get resolved when the opening "shit that happened last week or three years ago" showed 10 plotlines.

Best part of the episode. .Varys is back..

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Man, poor Jon Snow, but I had A feeling he was going to be betrayed. Why do I get thr feeking that Melisandre came to Castle Black because the Lord of Light has chosen Jon Snow. He'll be revived, betting that as the Lord of Lights champion and will have vengeance on his enemies.

maybe the blood sacrifice has to be his own blood...

I have to say I was never on board the Season 5 hate train that a lot of people were in this thread. I would agree that the season has been easily the weakest season, but I felt (and still do feel) that many of the criticisms were misguided or without merit.

However, I do feel like this was an episode of Game of Thrones that I legitimately dislike. Maybe I am just salty over Jon's fate, but I felt this episode was just not good and felt like it was on fast forward. This season has generally been pretty slow and it seems almost like they skipped an episode or two between episode nine and the end of this episode.

Stannis: They build up this fight all season only for it to essentially happen off screen? What the hell? It was obvious that he was screwed, but they could have at least shown it. There is a difference between misleading viewers to turn their expectations upside down and misleading viewers with a bait and switch with no pay off. The only good thing I can say about Stannis' part is at least karma bit him hard. It was nice to see him completely broken in the end. I always liked Stannis' reliance of Melisandre's magic being analogous to a drug addiction. The more he uses it, the more he drives people away and loses a part of himself. At the same time, this causes him to grow increasingly reliant on it. In the end, it destroyed his life and he has lost everything. t is fitting to see him end up like that in this episode. Though Stannis probably is not even dead given the way they shot his "execution".

Sansa/Theon: I guess it was nice to see Theon finally snap and take charge finally. But I am not entirely sure what them jumping off of the wall means. Are they trying to escape or were they essentially dying on their own terms? I don't think both of them dead, though they could pull the whole body cushioned the fall down type of thing. The fact that they left it off of them mid air is really jarring as there is really no way for them to survive it, especially given they are probably not going to actually kill both of them off that way much like Stannis.

Dorne: Surprisingly, I actually liked this part, given that this storyline has been the weakest link this season. We finally got some resolution to what they have been building up. Plus I really liked the Jaime and Myrcella scene, I found it very touching.... til they revealed she was poisoned. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in the future.

Cersei: The whole arc feels entirely pointless if the whole point of it was just to set her up for a revenge arc. There is of course going to be more to it as the prophecy is going strong with Myrcella seemingly dying and it is not like they were really going to kill Cersei off, but we got zero payoff this season in all. It was nice to see Cersei go through that humiliation, but it went way too long as in the grand scheme of things, Jon's supposed death and other events took precedence in importance for the finale. Seeing Cersei doing evil things is getting boring at this point as her character has not really undergone any development or major changes.

Arya: It going directly to her killing Trant was just odd to me the way it was shot. I know this season has had a lot of padding, but some things just need more set up and build up. Considering Trant finally arriving in Braavos last episode, it did not feel right to have the climax of her arc this season be this moment. And as with probably everyone else, I am completely confused of what happened at the end. I best guess is she is going to finally become "no one" as Arya Stark is "dead".

Jon: I honestly did not see that coming. I thought everyone saying Ollie and co were going to kill Jon were being silly as Jon clearly has a lot of importance in the storyline and there are still a lot of unanswered questions about him. I cannot say the Jon fanboy in me was happy about what happened to him. The Night's Watch are absolute morons as they killed the only person that was a good leader and understood the threat they were facing. If the Night's Watch stays the way it is right now, they will probably just desert the wall when the White Walkers come and leave everyone to fend for themselves.

Still, I am in the camp that he will be resurrected. I do not think they would really hint of Melisandre finding something special about him and make his parentage a big mystery if he really is to die so unceremoniously. And I doubt it is one big coincidence that Melisandre decides to show up the same time Jon dies. Not to mention I do not think they showed off Berric's ability to resurrect in the past just as something interesting. It clearly had meaning and foreshadowing. I understand that this is Game of Thrones and a big part of it is to subvert what the watcher actually wants and to make character's fates realistic, but they clearly also have a story to tell about Jon. I cannot see them throwing that out the window just for a shock death. No other character that has died in the past has the baggage that Jon has. Jon permanently dying at this point is just not good writing, and I say this as a person that did not feel this way when other favorite characters of mine died like Ned and Oberyn. I think people are misreading the storyline if they think it is just GRRM shitting on the good guys and being "realistic".

Daenerys: This is another part I liked. As someone that actually likes Daenerys' character, the prospect of her seemingly gaining a massive Dothraki army excites me. Oh yeah, and Varys' has reunited with Tyrion! My only complaint though is Dany "abandoning" her followers. The way they shot the end of last episode made it seem like there was still some Harpies wandering around. But it is clear from this episode that Dany and Drogon routed them as Tyrion, Daario, Missandei, and Jorah are not mad at Dany.

Overall, the reason I did not like this episode besides the stuff I mentioned like how abrupt it was, is I cannot actually gauge its quality until the next season. Which I am not a fan of. I can finally see why people are so frustrated with the end of the last two books as it leaves much to be desired. This season felt like a beginning and a middle with no end. I am not jumping ship from this show or anything and am anticipating season 6 more than I did season 5. I am just bummed out that the finale ends abrupt cliffhangers. Especially since the consequences are probably a lot of bait and switches with making characters looking like they died but not really. Maybe my opinion of this episode will change the more I think about it.

Summoner

I don't think she duped Stannis. I think they both learned that, in a war, serving the Lord of Light doesn't mean fuck all if you can't keep the loyalty of your men.

Like the selfish prick he is, Stannis tried to run for the easy way by using more of Melissandre's blood magic. But he never stopped to think that maybe, just maybe, his sell swords would be disgusted by a man willing to burn his own daughter alive.
I don't think the sell swords were disgusted by a man willing to burn his own daughter alive, I think more that they realized a man who could do that to his own daughter, would have no qualms doing the same to the them.

Only traitors and non-believers were sacrificed and burned alive for the Lord of Light. These men thought they were safe from that as long as they were loyal. Shireen's sacrifice made them realize otherwise so they bailed the first opportunity they got.

Has anyone mentioned how the show left Dany? I just kind of remembered it after being jarred by Jon's ending. I just sighed and threw my arms up at her 1) Leaving the safety of her dragon. (Spend some time for him for christs sake) and 2) Wandering a strange countryside all by herself where she has no idea what is out there. It's like 1 step forward (take Mereen) 4 steps back (stay and rule Mereen)... 2 steps forward (Finally ride a dragon) theeeeen 10 steps back (get captured while wandering around like a fool), which will surely lead to 5-7 episodes of rescuing her. We might get to see her back to the position she was in at the start of this season by the end of next season if we're lucky. She is literally her own worst enemy.

Ridli

What's the GAF census on Stannis? Did Brienne execute him?

With a TV show.. they need to show it, or anything can happen!

Brienne has been shown to be a top tier fighter in the world and very clearly wants to get some vengeance for Renly. Stannis was bleeding like a stuck pig. If Stannis pulled a fast one on her I'm going to be pretty disappointed. Well.. I mean, more disappointed.

Derwind

Fuck this show, they went too far this time.

All there is that might be interesting is Tyrion + Varys + Daenerys storyline.

And maybe Arya if they continue her story.

I'm all sorts of pissed at how they killed off John Snow.

Edit; nvm

The Llama

Has anyone mentioned how the show left Dany? I just kind of remembered it after being jarred by Jon's ending. I just sighed and threw my arms up at her 1) Leaving the safety of her dragon. (Spend some time for him for christs sake) and 2) Wandering a strange countryside all by herself where she has no idea what is out there. It's like 1 step forward (take Mereen) 4 steps back (stay and rule Mereen)... 2 steps forward (Finally ride a dragon) theeeeen 10 steps back (get captured while wandering around like a fool), which will surely lead to 5-7 episodes of rescuing her. We might get to see her back to the position she was in at the start of this season by the end of next season if we're lucky. She is literally her own worst enemy.

Did they really "capture" her though? Who knows whats going to happen there.

Gobias

Banned
By the way, even though I think Jon will be revived, that's still a shitty cliffhanger and a shitty way for a season to end, no matter what happens.

Yup, don't know how it will go but knew something would happen the moment she walked off.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Am I in some bizarro world where people actually think Theon and Sansa committed suicide?

Yes the ice and snow melted but it's not like all of a sudden it all vanished. There was still tons of it still left on the ground.

Ovid

Oh my god what an episode. did not expect any of that.

So I wonder if Stannis is dead. They never actually showed him die. He deserved it though. I can't believe mellisandre abandoned him. She was just some religious nut and she got a nice hard bite of reality once she knew Stannis wasn't going to win.
I felt bad for Cercei for the first time and zombie mountain is awesome.
Fuck olly. Another stark dead. Unbelievable. I'm glad they mentioned benjin though. What the hell happened to him?
Glad to see Reek kill that bitch
Wish we got to see something bad happen to Ramsay
Loved watching arya kill meryn. Now she's blind. did not see that coming at all
Who were those guys surrounding dany? Dothraki?
I hope that bitch from dorne gets her due diligence

So many questions that won't be answeed for so long. Damn.
He's dead.

It was mentioned on HBOGo "Inside the S5 E10".

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Brienne has been shown to be a top tier fighter in the world and very clearly wants to get some vengeance for Renly. Stannis was bleeding like a stuck pig. If Stannis pulled a fast one on her I'm going to be pretty disappointed. Well.. I mean, more disappointed.

Stannis is dead and not coming back. Jon's dead and not coming back. I'm certain. No I haven't read the books. That's just how Game of Thrones rolls.

shanafan

Oh my god what an episode. did not expect any of that.

So I wonder if Stannis is dead. They never actually showed him die. He deserved it though. I can't believe mellisandre abandoned him. She was just some religious nut and she got a nice hard bite of reality once she knew Stannis wasn't going to win.
I felt bad for Cercei for the first time and zombie mountain is awesome.
Fuck olly. Another stark dead. Unbelievable. I'm glad they mentioned benjin though. What the hell happened to him?
Glad to see Reek kill that bitch
Wish we got to see something bad happen to Ramsay
Loved watching arya kill meryn. Now she's blind. did not see that coming at all
Who were those guys surrounding dany? Dothraki?
I hope that bitch from dorne gets her due diligence

So many questions that won't be answeed for so long. Damn.

Yep, it was the Dothraki. Confirmed from HBO's Inside the Episode.

He's dead.

It was mentioned on HBOGo "Inside the S5 E10".

Well.. they said that "it didn't work out well for Jon Snow." That leaves the door still wide open imo

Minion101

Banned

I expect her remarrying will bite her in the ass.

More them obvious that Sansa and Theon will now be hunted by Ramsay. He will catch up to them. Probably kill Theon and right before grabbing Sansa to take her back Brienne walks out and they fight. Brienne will win and her and Sansa will make for the wall. Which according to this show is like 2 days walk from Winterfell lol.

All that buildup of Stannis for ... That? So sad.

Arya is beginning to see what it is to be a faceless man. Next season should be most interesting for her . Her arc is the only one I like so far this entire show

Dany Is now surrounded by Dothraki with a hurt Drogon. So shocked. They will kill off Drogon next since that dragon has personality and we like it a little bit. Can't have that in this story now can we

I dunno. I guess the death of Jon was supposed to be surprising but that shit was choreographed weeks ago. " for the watch ". Fuck the watch.

Guess this story is about nothing more then making you want Westeros to burn. They hav done well at it.

Thank god this season is over. So bad. Just hope there is a good story somewhere in this giant clusterfuck that this show has turned into

Derwind

Am I in some bizarro world where people actually think Theon and Sansa committed suicide?

Yes the ice and snow melted but it's not like all of a sudden it all vanished. There was still tons of it still left on the ground.

I think they committed suicide. At that height, even landing in a pool of water can be dangerous depending on how shallow it is. Falling on snow and ice will definitely kill them.

It'd be very disappointing if they cleared that height unscathed.

Nameless

Son of a bitch. I refuse to believe Jon Snow is dead.

-'Kill the boy so the man can be born'
-'Jon always comes back'
-'There's power in you'
-Meli's perfect timing in showing up at The Wall
-Visions of her at Winterfell surrounded by burning Bolton banners.

Kit will have to sign on as a series regular on Walking Dead or something before I believe Jon is gone for good. The Snow will Rise

They also didn't make it a point to have Beric and Thoros discuss resurrection with Melisandre for no reason.

royalan

I am intrigued by the Dani's encounter with the Dothraki.

At first it seemed hostile, but then it seemed a little...celebratory?

Is it possible that they remember her as Khal Drogo's wife, and that still holds some sway with them?

-'Jon always comes back'
-'There's power in you'

Kit will have to sign on as a series regular on Walking Dead or something before I believe Snow is gone for good.

They also didn't make it a point to have Beric and Thoros discuss resurrection with Melisandre for no reason.

My only question is, if Jon does come back (which I agree is likely), and he does ultimately march on Winterfell (also likely), who will be his army?

The few wildlings that survived seemed to be mostly women and children...and Wun Wun.

Ovid

I wonder if that had to do with her stabbing Meryn's eyes out?

Definitely Dothraki -- not sure if it was Drogo's Khalisar or another one. I imagine there was some significance to her taking that ring off
Yes, it was a "bread crumb" so that anyone looking for her can see that she's still alive.

The Llama

I think they committed suicide. At that height, even landing in a pool of water can be dangerous depending on how shallow it is. Falling on snow and ice will definitely kill them.

I wouldn't say "definitely," but I'm not expecting them to avoid injury from that. Wouldn't surprise me if one (or both?) of them is severely injured or disabled.

I am intrigued by the Dani's encounter with the Dothraki.

At first it seemed hostile, but then it seemed a little...celebratory?

Is it possible that they remember her as Khal Drogo's wife, and that still holds some sway with them?

Agreed. I don't think she was necessarily captured as a prisoner. Certainly possible, but I think there's more to it than that.

Loakum

Banned
They showed Arya leaving The Hound to die.

They didn't show Brienne leaving after killing Stannis. In fact, they made a point of not showing the kill blow (or maybe they did show and my cable feed skipped it). When has that ever happened in this show?

Edit: It doesn't matter either way. It was a terrible decision to use this as soap opera cliffhanger.

Someone grabbed Brianne, but it abruptly got edited into another scene. I think Stannis blood sacrifice worked.

-'Jon always comes back'
-'There's power in you'

Kit will have to sign on as a series regular on Walking Dead or something before I believe Jon is gone for good. The Snow will Rise

giphy.gif

Damn.. Iw ant to believe...

My only question is, if Jon does come back (which I agree is likely), and he does ultimately march on Winterfell (also likely), who will be his army?

The few wildlings that survived seemed to be mostly women and children...and Wun Wun.
The White Walker army no less..
banderas.png

Palpable

Jon is dead. Olly, that piece of filth fuck. All those crows. Fuck em. What about Jon's pal that escaped with him from Hardhome (the other crow with kinda long hair)?

This episode has me cheering for the White Walkers now. Fuck Westeros. That place is a disease.

The Red Queen's timing back to the wall is interesting. That one dude with one eye that got brought back to life like 30 times because of the fire god has me thinking... but then I realize; this is Game of Thrones. He's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom