• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyba89

It's crazy how predictable this show has become. As soon as Jamie and Myrcella had their happy family reunion I thought "This is not going to end well" and the death came right after. This feels like a GoT-parody sometimes.
I don't believe Jon is dead one second. They had this Melisandre scene right before.

This whole season was off and the pacing of this final episode felt rushed to me. They should have told these storylines over the whole season and not stuff everything into the finale. There were no real answers or payoff. Just teasing and buildup for the next season.

Episodes 8 and 9 were great, but the rest of the season was a mixed bag imo.

Arya will never see her family again.

K2yb.jpg

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
My episode rankings:

5x08 = 5x10 > 5x09 > 5x07 > 5x05 > 5x03 > 5x04 > 5x06 > 5x01 > 5x02.

You should trust and value my meaningless inequalities because I rewatch every episode like twice. >_>;

Second best season finale after 4x10 IMO. It honestly didn't feel terribly rushed to me. It definitely could have used some breathing room and that's definitely the fault of the season on the whole, I agree, but man. It's hard for me to fathom people preferring, say, 3x10 over this one.

Skux

The whole show has been quiet development in between massive world-changing events. This season hasn't been any different and it's funny to see how much it suddenly bothers people.

Angry Fork

Kinda surprised Stannis ended up where he did. A few episodes back I thought he was the one, everything fell apart so quick. Anyone think the cut-away means Brienne didn't kill him? It's kind of weird not to show his death I think.

Kinda surprised Stannis ended up where he did. A few episodes back I thought he was the one, everything fell apart so quick. Anyone think the cut-away means Brienne didn't kill him? It's kind of weird not to show his death I think.

After the build up all season long, having the battle scene just cut to him stabbing two dudes and supposedly getting squished by Brienne was a shitty anti-climax.

aravuus

Episodes 8 and 9 were great, but the rest of the season was a mixed bag imo.

Pretty much. Finale was surprisingly predictable, but I'm interested in seeing where everything is going to lead so I suppose it did its work as a finale well. Still, I'm not nearly as excited about season 6 cause season 5 as a whole was far worse than any preceding season. Hopefully the quality goes up again come next summer.

e: Jon's death didn't bum me out since I don't really like him that much, but I can't wait to see him return as either a WW or a fire warrior thing whatever

The whole show has been quiet development in between massive world-changing events. This season hasn't been any different and it's funny to see how much it suddenly bothers people.

Lol

Plasma

Banned

Yeh I don't think he's dead why else cut away, maybe she'll try to use him to get Sansa back I dunno.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I strongly believe that Stannis really is dead and that the quick cut to Ramsay's brutality was intended to showcase the difference between his battlefield behavior and Brienne's singular strike. It was David Nutter's "compare these two characters, different as can be, as they each take lives in the aftermath of a total rout."

Next season if it turns out I'm right there'll be lots of cries that the directing in the scene was atrocious, and that's a shame, I guess, since I found it clever.

If I'm mistaken, well, cool, I suppose.

Yeh I don't think he's dead why else cut away, maybe she'll try to use him to get Sansa back I dunno.

I don't think she'd spare him, not after how much she loved Renly and how much it hurt her because she couldn't protect him. Maybe the Lord of light came and saved him :D

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Stannis is fucking dead. The cutaway meant nothing. Brienne swung her sword right at his neck. Ya'll really reaching with all these "maybe he's not dead" "maybe he'll be revived" posts.

Sansa/Theon is the only one I'm questioning. It just seems like a very abrupt and strange end to Sansa's storyline, and all we see is them jumping, not landing. Kind of hard to imagine how they would have survived that though, unless there's like 12 feet of snow beneath them.

woen

How hey build each season is really weird. You have few events in the first seven episodes, then you have a 3-episodes climax until things settle down for the next seven episodes.

So Stannis lost his daughter, wife, mistress, first half of his army then other half, and his life in less than 1 episode. ONE EPISODE.

Arya lost her eyes. (LOL) Typical GOT sentence : she is in a conflict between two identities, Arya and the girl with no name. She chose revenge for Arya rather than her fanatic duty, so she lost the eyes she took.

Dany lost herself too far away and we don't know how but 20.000 horses came to pick here when she wasn't with her dragon.

Jaime lost his daughter. Cersei too, but she doesn't know it yet. If the prophecy is true then Tommen should die soon.

Jon Snow had the typical Caesar death (LOL). I didn't see that coming and I wonder how it benefits to the story. Typical GOT death : he fulfilled his duty, thinking of the common good rather than the old conservative near-xenophobic Night Watch's opinion...but was killed by those he commanded because he betrayed (for them) what a Lord Commander of the Night Watch should fight for.
So no more Dany/Jon Snow last targaryen children alive theory here.

Tyrion/Varys and Sansa/Reek may be the only one who had great outcomes.

Stannis is fucking dead. The cutaway meant nothing. Brienne swung her sword right at his neck. Ya'll really reaching with all these "maybe he's not dead" "maybe he'll be revived" posts.

Sansa/Theon is the only one I'm questioning. It just seems like a very abrupt and strange end to Sansa's storyline, and all we see is them jumping, not landing. Kind of hard to imagine how they would have survived that though, unless there's like 12 feet of snow beneath them.

They land on a trampoline set up by Littlefinger.

tumblr_m92n8fu7Gc1ry5xmko1_500.gif

Red Hood

Banned
So, in one episode:

- Arya blind
- Stannis dead (off-screen, but most likely)
- Jon dead

Damn. And with Jon's (presumable) death is exactly where the last book ended, right?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
So, in one episode:

- Arya blind
- Stannis dead (off-screen, but most likely)
- Jon dead

Damn. And with Jon's (presumable) death is exactly where the last book ended, right?

Yeah, ish, but be careful with us book readers if you catch any of us saying "oh, don't worry, since you're all caught up now..." because it's not a 1:1 thing at all. There's still some material for several characters that hasn't been translated to screen yet and will probably occur next year, and on the flipside, the show has gone past the books in some other areas.

komplanen

First half of this season was a little too slow to my liking but the second half picked up real good. Overall I'm really satisfied with what happened and how it happened.

I don't know what exactly Brienne was supposed to do if she saw that candle in the tower. Sneak into a castle, kill a bunch of armed guards and then sneak out again with Sansa?

woen

Yeah, ish, but be careful with us book readers if you catch any of us saying "oh, don't worry, since you're all caught up now..." because it's not a 1:1 thing at all. There's still some material for several characters that hasn't been translated to screen yet and will probably occur next year, and on the flipside, the show has gone past the books in some other areas.

I'm definitely trying to catch up with the books this summer, it may worth it and there's not much to spoil.

Red Hood

Banned

I haven't read the books myself so I don't exactly know what and how, but I've been told that this Jon bit was literally the last event from the last book and could be considered a cliffhanger. Like, he gets stabbed and it ends right afterwards (like this episode).

But you're right, and since Season 6 is a long time from now I think I'm going to read them, see if there are any kinds of interesting deviations.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Have fun trying out the books, to those of you who are thinking of hopping in! There are quite a few deviations indeed at this point; I like to think of them as two different universes spinning on the same lore and main plots. I still prefer the show a bit over the books, but I'm a big cinematography dude and I love watching actors do their thing, and GoT has all that in spades.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just read an EW interview with Kit. Made it sound like Jon isn't coming back, even cut his hair. There's no way they don't bring him back. I mean it was almost too convenient with having Mel show up at Castle Black the same day Jon gets killed. This show really likes to telegraph things sometimes.

We'll see though. I want to believe.

nOoblet16

Man the reason Jon gets killed in the book and the way it's portrayed is so different from the nonsensical petty reasoning in the show.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Just read an EW interview with Kit. Made it sound like Jon isn't coming back, even cut his hair. There's no way they don't bring him back. I mean it was almost too convenient with having Mel show up at Castle Black the same day Jon gets killed. This show really likes to telegraph things sometimes.

We'll see though. I want to believe.

He's since grown his hair out again, even!

Curufinwe

Man the reason Jon gets killed in the book and the way it's portrayed is so different from the nonsensical petty reasoning in the show.

Read the OP then kindly fuck off to the book thread.

- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

Skux

Arya lost her eyes. (LOL) Typical GOT sentence : she is in a conflict between two identities, Arya and the girl with no name. She chose revenge for Arya rather than her fanatic duty, so she lost the eyes she took.

Good ol' poetic justice!

Blader

The odd-numbered seasons sure are bad for the Starks.

S1 - Bran crippled, Ned killed
S3 - Theon castrated, Robb and Cat killed
S5 - Arya blinded, Jon killed

Curufinwe

It's kinda shocking just how stupid the Night's Watch is. You're going to betray a dude that stopped thousands of wildlings from becoming more of the inevitable undead army you're going to face? My suspension of disbelief has hit its limit.

How many members of the Night's Watch came back from Hardhome with Jon?

nOoblet16

Read the OP then kindly fuck off to the book thread.

But it's not a spoiler at all because it's an event that has already happened in the show (the tittle says no book spoilers, meaning no spoilers from the books as they are were ahead of the show until now) and I didn't really compare because I was did not give any details on what happened in the book equivalent and we all know that the reasoning for Jon's death is petty here in the show...and even when you consider all of that it comes back to the first point, it's not a spoiler in the first place.

And also did you know that you can say things nicely ?

Edit: I'll just leave this thread now, my first post and interaction with someone in this thread ends up with a fuck off comment.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

I don't think it is reaching at all, they don't hide much gore in this show, they have shown the beheading of a number of people, so to most it seems odd for them to cut at that moment. He was also leaning against a tree, with quite a bit of the tree trunk above his shoulders, I don't think it is that absurd to think she hits the tree instead, she might want to kill him but she is also still trying to save Sansa and could use him.

As for Sansa and Theon, it has been snowing heavily for days, if not longer, I don't suspect they are dead at all and was just another cliffhanger they wanted to throw in there.

purg3

slept with Malkin

Didn't read ADWD, but in the show, I wouldn't say it's nonsensical. The people defending the wall are killers and rapists and generally low born and not very bright (with exception of a few). They aren't forward thinking and when you have someone like Thorne, they are going to listen to him. Especially if he's spreading word about self preservation with Jon bringing the wildlings through the gates. Remember they didn't see what Jon did outside of the wall. All they know is he spent a ton of time with the wildlings and brought them back with him. They don't see the big picture, they just see some kid bringing the enemy through the gates. Also when Jon was getting shanked, they all said "For the Watch." I'd say their motives and reasoning were pretty clear. Shortsighted self preservation.

I would like to know the differences but is that still not allowed in this thread now that this arc is caught up?

Volimar

It's not a spoiler because it's an even that has already happened and I didn't really compare because I was careful not to give any details on how it went off.

There's supposed to be no book discussion here at all. So please if that's what you're looking for please go to the other thread please.

Curufinwe

But it's not a spoiler because it's an even that has already happened in the show (the tittle says no book spoilers, meaning no spoilers from the books as they are were ahead of the show until now) and I didn't really compare because I was careful not to give any details on how it went off.

You're in here going against the very clear and specific rules laid out in the OP, which you obviously didn't read. Why do you deserve to be treated nicely?
This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

foxtrot3d

Banned
Didn't read ADWD, but in the show, I wouldn't say it's nonsensical. The people defending the wall are killers and rapists and generally low born and not very bright (with exception of a few). They aren't forward thinking and when you have someone like Thorne, they are going to listen to him. Especially if he's spreading word about self preservation with Jon bringing the wildlings through the gates. Remember they didn't see what Jon did outside of the wall. All they know is he spent a ton of time with the wildlings and brought them back with him. They don't see the big picture, they just see some kid bringing the enemy through the gates. Also when Jon was getting shanked, they all said "For the Watch." I'd say their motives and reasoning were pretty clear. Shortsighted self preservation.

I would like to know the differences but is that still not allowed in this thread now that this arc is caught up?

If only there was an entire thread just for book readers or book readers you could PM with book questions.
Like me.

But it's not a spoiler at all because it's an event that has already happened in the show (the tittle says no book spoilers, meaning no spoilers from the books as they are were ahead of the show until now) and I didn't really compare because I was careful not to give any details on how it went off...and even when you consider all of that it comes back to the first point, it's not a spoiler anymore.

Why is it so hard to just not discuss books in this thread. It doesn't matter if it happened on tv. Keep the threads separate.

But it's not a spoiler at all because it's an event that has already happened in the show (the tittle says no book spoilers, meaning no spoilers from the books as they are were ahead of the show until now) and I didn't really compare because I was did not give any details on what happened in the book equivalent and we all know that the reasoning for Jon's death is petty here in the show...and even when you consider all of that it comes back to the first point, it's not a spoiler in the first place.

Edit: I'll just leave this thread now, my first post and interaction with someone in this thread ends up with a fuck off comment.
I guess it was difficult when it was written no book spoilers. They even put it in caps, so I can see why you missed it.

I read some weird random name in here next to Jon Snow's, once again the book readers can't help themselves lol.. GoT reader fanclub is the worst out of any book series fandom.

MikeyB

How many members of the Night's Watch came back from Hardhome with Jon?
Not many. He didn't ride out with a lot and the boats were manned by Stannis' men or mercenaries. I guess it is safe to assume that they deserted too. Weird that they disembarked north of the wall given the geography. Unspoken reasons.
qcYhvPe.png

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Just realized, what if the whole point of becoming "No one" is to just become another body for Jaquen Hagar when he dies. Since he took over that girl. :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom