• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griss

Someone remind me where the head sparrow is from, in the earlier seasons.

You asking this question just made me think what a great* twist it would be if one of the major characters turns out to have been a faceless man this whole time.

Yeah, Jaime actually died years ago, pre-show. The Jaime we've been watching was a faceless man THE WHOLE TIME.

In fact this is the plot of a recent video game but I won't spoil it, lol.

*absolutely fucking terrible

You asking this question just made me think what a great* twist it would be if one of the major characters turns out to have been a faceless man this whole time.

Yeah, Jaime actually died years ago, pre-show. The Jaime we've been watching was a faceless man THE WHOLE TIME.

Kinda like Battlestar's Cylons or DS9's Founders. :p

A good episode where the screws are tightening, stakes are being raised, etc.

We're knocking off minor characters one an episode now, I guess. Oh well, it might make Jorah's return a little more palatable for Dany.

Bronn needling Jaime about Cersei was great. Jaime using the metal hand in combat and to get out of rowing and digging was great.

We finally got to see Martell's kids. Only one of them really nailed Oberyn's accent but still looking forward to what they do. I'm not expecting much since thy waited till ep 4 to show up so either they stick around past this season or their time on this world is not long- just speculation based on the way the show often treats characters.

I'm guessing they're keeping the Robo-Mountain in reserve for whatever the fuck happens in episode 9 (assuming they maintain that tradition). We never actually saw the Hound die on screen so my secret hope is Robo-Hound vs Robo-Mountain. Yes, I totally would ruin GoT as showrunner.

I'm still waiting on Sansa's first major on-screen encounter with Reek or Ramsay.

The parallels between two queens presiding over guerrilla wars threatening to turn in to all-out civil war is interesting.

Venture

Felt like another filler episode to be honest. Makes it even worse that they leave us with unsullied + the mighty and much talked about Ser Barristan getting handled by a bunch of fanatics.
We don't know who the Sons of The Harpy really are though. They could be men from the fighting pits.

Maybe he's one of the people who pretend to have not read the things, but today's episode seemed to focus on Lyana and Rhaegar, Jon Snow and royal bloodlines. I hope he's not a Targaryan, though, that'd be lame.
The fact that Melisandre wanted to have sex with him is a pretty big tip off.

"You know nothing Jon Snow"

What' everyone's opinion on this, how would she know to say it? It definitely wasn't a coincidence either.

munchie64

Anyway, episode 3 should have been episode 1 and today should have been 2. Season would have been much stronger.
People say this, but that would have forced them to cut out a lot of great scenes like that Brienne and Pod scene or the Cersei and Margery scene. Not important enough to the plot to make three hours one. The Wall stuff would've been cluttered as hell too. Jon Snow, debating with Stanis, killing Mance, becoming lord commander and chopping heads IN ONE EPISODE?

Makes no sense.

Lol, don't give them any ideas. They don't have as much of a script to follow anymore, so are liable to make a bunch of shit up.

Griss

Barristan was like Pacquiao - legendary fighter who was way past his best, disappointing the crowd by losing in a fight that was far poorer than we might have expected.

Surely Dany will have to open the fighting pits now. That seems to be what Hizadar (sp?) is saying will calm things for the moment (I don't understand why), so she's pretty much got to do it.

I wonder if Hizardar is plotting this shit from behind the scenes. I don't think so, but somebody must be.

What's interesting was that going into the season I thought Dany would solve Mereen and leave. But now it looks like she'll be forced out, and sent to Westeros on someone else's terms rather than her own, as a deposed ruler rather than a conquering champion. It's hard to see how she turns this around right now.

MartyStu

How did she fuck herself? It seems like all is going according to plan.

Are you kidding? She just armed and empowered a bunch of lunatics.

And amongst these lunatics is the cousin she conspired and slept with.

Her days are so fucking numbered it is not funny.

MartyStu

Surely Dany will have to open the fighting pits now. That seems to be what Hizadar (sp?) is saying will calm things for the moment (I don't understand why), so she's pretty much got to do it..

People like a show. During moments of civil unrest, it is not uncommon for rulers to attempt to distract the masses by letting them forget their worries.

munchie64

Y'know it wasn't a fantastic episode, but the only scene I didn't kind of enjoy was the Sand Snakes one. Everything else at least held my interest fully.

So yeah, good episode.

Quick question...why does Cercei have soo much power than the queen(cant remember her name). why cant she give orders as the Queen.? i mean as the queen you could order some guards to go get your brother. and why is sir merin always with cercei and not with the King?

Y'know it wasn't a fantastic episode, but the only scene I didn't kind of enjoy was the Sand Snakes one. Everything else at least held my interest fully.

So yeah, good episode.

Yup. Sand Snakes don't interest me at all yet. (it probably doesn't help that I never particularly cared for Oberyn)

Quick question...why does Cercei have soo much power than the queen(cant remember her name). why cant she give orders as the Queen.? i mean as the queen you could order some guards to go get your brother. and why is sir merin always with cercei and not with the King?

Inertia. They've been under Cersei's power for over a decade.

What's interesting was that going into the season I thought Dany would solve Mereen and leave. But now it looks like she'll be forced out, and sent to Westeros on someone else's terms rather than her own, as a deposed ruler rather than a conquering champion. It's hard to see how she turns this around right now.

Well, if it comes to it she always has that trump card sealed away. Granted it could backfire and blow up in her face completely but no doubt she'll take that risk before she's forced to relinquish Mereen.

Griss

Lot of evidence, this episode just heaped on a bunch more.

I would agree that there's tons of evidence that Jon isn't Ned's from the show.

'Not Ned's way', 'left and came back with a baby boy, never said from where', 'the next time we meet I'll tell you about your mother' etc. Those hints have been blatant. But why is it supposed to be Lyanna's? We know fuck all about her other than what we got in this episode, really. I guess that would explain why Ned went and took a child that wasn't his (even though it upset his wife massively) but what else matches up? When was Jon born? Before or after Robert's rebellion? How old is he?

If he's the same age as the rebellion is old then I can understand maybe Lyanna siding with Rhaegar and the Targs, getting killed, and Ned taking the kid to spare it death. But I don't feel like we've actually had any characters say any of that and thus still feel like Jon could be anyone's kid.

He's actually a
Mormont.

That smile at the end said it all. She know she hooked him

How the hell did she know though! lol The God of Light truly is the only one that has shown power time and time again.

So yeah, good episode.

I really didn't like that part either, especially when Michelle Rodriguez told the story before saying yeah I'm in. It felt forced for the sake of the audience, why would any of the others need to hear it? I'm sure they'd know by now.

DarkKyo

Are you kidding? She just armed and empowered a bunch of lunatics.

And amongst these lunatics is the cousin she conspired and slept with.

Her days are so fucking numbered it is not funny.

Either that or she is going to get Tommen killed. The witch did say all her children would perish.

Well I completely called that bit from Littlefinger last week in where he wanted to set Sansa up as ruler of the North once Stannis rides in and takes out the Boltons.

But at what price? I'm getting more and more nervous about these next few episodes. Will they really set Sansa up to be perhaps even in a worse position then she was in kings landing? She's already been beaten and humiliated and forced to watch her father beheaded and her friends and she still thinks Arya is dead. Then she was nearly raped in kings landing and constantly hounded and threatened by the King. And now she is in the hands of a true psychopath with many years of sadistic training under his belt so in my view he is Joffrey graduated. Joffrey was a psychopath with power but still a kid. Ramsay is no such thing.

And then they kill off Sir Barrister(?) in the most unfruitful of fashions. One of the greatest knights the kingdoms ever saw gets killed by some dipshits in an alleyway along with gray worm. How will Dany cope with that I wonder? With fire and brimstone or with political maneuvering?

I have a feeling Mormant is going to show up soon and beg his way back to Danys side and she will still be heartbroken over barrister so she will bring him in as replacement.

Strong episode again but god am I getting nervous. I'm not liking pretty much anything going on right now. Sansa in with Ramsay. Snow with the red witch. Cersei still being annoying as fuck in kings landing. The King looking downright helpless at this juncture.

Dennis

Banned
Dany should never have sent my man Jorah away in the first place.

lol all I want for Jorah is to spend some quality time with his Khaleesi.

Limit

Well, if it comes to it she always has that trump card sealed away. Granted it could backfire and blow up in her face completely but no doubt she'll take that risk before she's forced to relinquish Mereen.

If in the final episode of this season Mereen has gone to hell hole with Dany about to be usurped and she says to herself "If I can't have this land, then no one can. Jorah, unleash the dragons". And the final scene is whole city is burned to the ground with Dany riding her dragons to Westeros, I'll be back on board the Dany hype train.

And then they kill off Sir Barrister(?) in the most unfruitful of fashions. One of the greatest knights the kingdoms ever saw gets killed by some dipshits in an alleyway along with gray worm. How will Dany cope with that I wonder? With fire and brimstone or with political maneuvering?

We don't know that yet though. Both him and Grey Worm are questionable at this point, although the favor is towards Grey Worm living and Barrister dying considering the wounds.

Ovid

If in the final episode of this season Mereen has gone to hell hole with Dany about to be usurped and she says to herself "If I can't have this land, then no one can. Jorah, unleash the dragons". And the final scene is whole city is burned to the ground with Dany riding her dragons to Westeros, I'll be back on board the Dany hype train.
Haha, that would be amazing.

Kusagari

But she's in control of their leader.

lol no she isn't. The High Sparrow is simply aligned with her because it seems like she's for his cause. Once he gets confirmation she's in love with incest and Tommen is the product of that he'll turn on her in a second.

I refuse to believe Ser Barristan or Grey Worm are dead. Not to some scrubby Sons of the Harpy.

Also, maybe I am misremembering but I don't remember episodes in previous seasons ending on so many clear cliffhangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom