• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Dany ruling her countries with her military (unsullied)? She is essentially an occupier and is imposing a military rule. Unsullied have no business patrolling the streets of Mereen. It's like having US army instead of cops. Where are the Mereen cops?

pantsmith

To be clear: the unsullied are a hardened phalanx of men who have held one job their whole life. Selmy threatens that he could have taken all of the Kings Guard if he wanted, and is acknowledged as one of the finest fighters in the world.

They were taken out by a rag tag group of ex-slavers with knives.

You could make a case for them being overwhelmed and surrounded, that guerrilla tactics were able to overcome them combined with the wrong arena, numbers and element of surprise. BUT: the scene did a horrible job of showing it. Felt untrue to the characters.

I was so happy to see Jaime use his iron (or golden?) hand in that sword fight. I was hoping to see him bitch slap somebody but using it to catch a sword is also cool.

To be clear: the unsullied are a hardened phalanx of men who have held one job their whole life. Selmy threatens that he could have taken all of the Kings Guard if he wanted, and is acknowledged as one of the finest fighters in the world.

You could make a case for them being overwhelmed and surrounded, that guerrilla tactics were able to overcome them combined with the wrong arena, numbers and element of surprise. BUT: the scene did a horrible job of showing it. Felt untrue to the characters.
Agreed. I was expecting Selmy to "cut through them like cake."

Yeah I just can't see the end-game to Cersei's most recent scheming. She is just basically pissing everyone off ( even the small council members this last episode when that one dude says, " the small council keeps getting smaller and smaller " and she openly says " not small enough! " ) when she has only the residue of her former power at her fingertips. People listening to her at this point in time simply because of her past. She is the kings mother, sure, but what power does that really grant you?

She sees Tommen as wanting her out of Kings Landing, which would eliminate ALL power she would ever hope to have. She could return to Fraggle Rock to rule over atleast one kingdom, but nah shes had that taste of absolute power so she is drunk ( literally ) with it now.

Shes grasping at straws basically. And in typical Cersei fashion, she seems to be making everything in Kings Landing worse. Has she done anything good for Kings Landing? Ever? Anything? Really can't think of a single good thing.

So ready for the Lannisters to say goodnight and so long. I know they won't fully since they are one of the major houses in this story, but atleast make it where you see Cersei like every 6th episode with a barrel of wine next to her singing showtunes or something I dunno.

I think the moment Stannis sits on the Iron Throne, you will see a snowflake fall.

Seems this story is just waiting for everything to settle in Kings Landing before starting the Winter and the coming of the Walkers. This will settle in the North once Stannis takes out the Boltons and then Sansa and LF can gather the northern lords together to form the northern Army with Jon Snow and the Nights Watch and the Wildlings all working together. Then you have Stannis in the southern portion of the map with control of Kings Landing. Then you have Dany in control of the .... east? ( is it east? ) with her dragons and her army. Then you have the Dornish at the deep south.

So when the Walkers do come, they will have a more solidified kingdom to face off against. Dany though, it will be very interesting to see it when she reaches the mainland.

Jackpot

Banned
They are a highly specialized regular army that mostly fights with spears. Remove them from the battlefield and they are not that great. The unsullied would probably do much better in close quarters with a common sword instead of a spear.

Still, I expected better from that lot.

They had spears and shields and have had fear beaten out of them. Form a wall with spears pointing outwards and let the harpies try and get within arm's length.

SeanR1221

Yup. It made everyone come off as looking terrible. A bunch of randos with little knives killed all the mighty warrior.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Yeah.

I'm ok with the Unsullied getting worked on due to their own tactical limitations, but they really didn't show it. It felt as if they were just a bunch of random soldiers getting caught in an ambush, not an elite force ready to fuck shit up at the drop of a pin. They were corraled and outnumbered, but it didn't look like they were worth all the praises they got during the previous season. My girlfriend made the same observation, more or less.

As for Ser Barristan... well, he's good, but old. He still managed to drop a good number of fools before getting cut. It works for me.

They had spears and shields and have had fear beaten out of them. Form a wall with spears pointing outwards and let the harpies try and get within arm's length.
I actually agree with this. Harpies dropping at random and picking them up makes some sense, but they shouldn't be able to rush into a close group of Unsullied just like that.

bigkrev

Cersei gets dumber the more I think about what she's doing.

Her actions with the sparrows are going to have Olenna on a warpath and Littlefinger furious at his brothels being raided.

Great people to piss off.

Doesn't matter, Margery dissed her about her drinking last week. Cersei is getting back at her even if it causes the collapse of all 7 kingdoms.

Yeah I just can't see the end-game to Cersei's most recent scheming. She is just basically pissing everyone off ( even the small council members this last episode when that one dude says, " the small council keeps getting smaller and smaller " and she openly says " not small enough! " ) when she has only the residue of her former power at her fingertips. People listening to her at this point in time simply because of her past. She is the kings mother, sure, but what power does that really grant you?

She sees Tommen as wanting her out of Kings Landing, which would eliminate ALL power she would ever hope to have. She could return to Fraggle Rock to rule over atleast one kingdom, but nah shes had that taste of absolute power so she is drunk ( literally ) with it now.

Shes grasping at straws basically. And in typical Cersei fashion, she seems to be making everything in Kings Landing worse. Has she done anything good for Kings Landing? Ever? Anything? Really can't think of a single good thing.

So ready for the Lannisters to say goodnight and so long. I know they won't fully since they are one of the major houses in this story, but atleast make it where you see Cersei like every 6th episode with a barrel of wine next to her singing showtunes or something I dunno.
Cersei had good grasp over Joffrey. She is trying to rule the kingdom but wants Tommen out of her way because she knows that he is under the sway of Margery and he is too soft. She is playing a risky game by trying to either 1) Completely remove Tommen from power so she can have more control or 2) Trying to sow enough discord against Tommen so that he will turn to her, not Margery. Eventually, her plan would be to have Tommen divorce Margery.

As for 1 I dont know how the succession works in GoT so I'm not sure if she will get better control of King's Landing with Tommen out of the way or not.

Why is Dany ruling her countries with her military (unsullied)? She is essentially an occupier and is imposing a military rule. Unsullied have no business patrolling the streets of Mereen. It's like having US army instead of cops. Where are the Mereen cops?

Killing the unsullied most likely.

Regarding Dany, her story has to be picking it up. It´s too slow and boring for now. I bet Jorah comes back to be her adviser again, they´ve shown that ever since he left shit is going down with Dany, so even with his troubled past he was a good asset for her.

I might be seeing things since Jorah friendzoned Mormont is one of my favorites on the show, but whatever, i still think this is going to happen.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Melisandre, what was the point of her trying to get in Jon Snow's pants?

There's something there, she asked about his virginity as well. Reasons not yet clear, but will be made clear, I am sure.

I think what sucks (sorta?) about this recent ep is her showing she bears no solid allegiance to Stannis. So she's not a sure thing to stay with his side, and I'm not sure beyond her allegiance to her god what her endgame is.

dLMN8R

Regarding Dany, her story has to be picking it up. It´s too slow and boring for now. I bet Jorah comes back to be her adviser again, they´ve shown that ever since he left shit is going down with Dany, so even with his troubled past he was a good asset for her.

I might be seeing things since Jorah friendzoned Mormont is one of my favorites on the show, but whatever, i still think this is going to happen.

Yep, right, when I saw Selmey get surrounded, I immediately figured that he had to die / get severely wounded to give Jorah a chance at being needed rather than just an unnecessary burden for Dany.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Her face looks different this season, like plastic surgery different.

I blame different makeup and some postprocessing work to make the wall scenes look darker. She looks the same during the closeups.

Still the hotest woman on Westeros.

harharhar.

Gaz_RB

I'm loving Jamie and Bronn's storyline right now. Mostly because I love Bronn and am glad he's still an active character. I thought after Tyrion left he'd be done.

bigkrev

Speaking of Melisandre, what was the point of her trying to get in Jon Snow's pants?

Best guess:

Robert's last command as king was to make Ned Stark King Regent until Joffery came of age, which technically means that Jon Snow has Kings Blood as Neds son

Granted, I don't know how Melisandre would know Roberts last orders because Cersei destroyed them

There's something there, she asked about his virginity as well. Reasons not yet clear, but will be made clear, I am sure.

I think what sucks (sorta?) about this recent ep is her showing she bears no solid allegiance to Stannis. So she's not a sure thing to stay with his side, and I'm not sure beyond her allegiance to her god what her endgame is.
What makes you think she is not on Mannis' side?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What makes you think she is not on Mannis' side?

The fact she mentioned some scandalous shit and "we just won't tell him" makes me wonder if she's trying to see if she can shake him of his duty, or if she's actually deceptive to ALL folks, even Stannis. It could go either way, depending on what her motivations are.

Nikodemos

The fact she mentioned some scandalous shit and "we just won't tell him" makes me wonder if she's trying to see if she can shake him of his duty, or if she's actually deceptive to ALL folks, even Stannis. It could go either way, depending on what her motivations are.
I think she was just toying with Jon, to see whether the lure of the forbidden fruit could make him perform the hip-meld.

Griss

Literally Stannis' end game

No. Stannis is using Melly to get the throne. Once he's there he'll have no truck with her bullshit. It won't be easy, as obviously he is to some extent under her spell, but he himself is no religious fanatic and if he could be shot of her eventually then I'd guess he would want to be.

Stannis is about law and justice, that's it.

That's why the 'Jorah Fedora' meme pisses me off, like that's all he is, some pathetic dude. This guy isn't Samwell here. He was doing a damn good job with his advice, and for a very specific reason: Where all of Dany's council has had particular experiences (a kingsguard, a slave, a mereneese noble etc), but struggle to communicate and get one solid message across, Jorah on the other hand has seen it all. He's been part of a large Westerosi house. He has fought wars. He has sold slaves and been a criminal. He has been caught and disgraced, and known exile. Now travelled huge amounts on both continents he has. He knows shitloads about every culture they come across. He was always the guy who 'saw both sides' and interpreted things accordingly, from the moment he joined up with Dany and would constantly explain Dothraki culture to help her out, but do it in a Westerosi way that she'd understand.

The guy is smart, he can fight, he has experience of almost the entire world and gives common sense advice based not on honour but on what will advance Dany's goals. He's not afraid to be honest, either. Yes it's awkward as hell that the dude fell in love with her and that he started as a spy, but she needs to forget that, put him in his place, set boundaries and then find a way to work with him. I mean, shit, you won't find anyone more loyal at this stage.

Vashetti

Banned
I'm stealing this.

It's not mine:

LRulY.png

Best guess:

Robert's last command as king was to make Ned Stark King Regent until Joffery came of age, which technically means that Jon Snow has Kings Blood as Neds son

Granted, I don't know how Melisandre would know Roberts last orders because Cersei destroyed them
Oh right I remember her leech fetish. She tries to get blood through leeches and feed it to the fire for visions. She wants Jon's blood as well.

Ovid

Best guess:

Rickon and Bran are still alive though.

Or Stannis is in on it and understands what needs to be done (leechcraft sexy times blood magic stuff).

Nikodemos

No. Stannis is using Melly to get the throne. Once he's there he'll have no truck with her bullshit. It won't be easy, as obviously he is to some extent under her spell, but he himself is no religious fanatic and if he could be shot of her eventually then I'd guess he would want to be.
Don't think so. Guy's a believer, he stated it repeatedly to Davos. He just isn't an outright fanatic like his wife.

I've been waiting ever since she first showed up for her to stab Stannis in the back.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That's why the 'Jorah Fedora' meme pisses me off, like that's all he is, some pathetic dude. This guy isn't Samwell here. He was doing a damn good job with his advice, and for a very specific reason: Where all of Dany's council has had particular experiences (a kingsguard, a slave, a mereneese noble etc), but struggle to communicate and get one solid message across, Jorah on the other hand has seen it all. He's been part of a large Westerosi house. He has fought wars. He has sold slaves and been a criminal. He has been caught and disgraced, and known exile. Now travelled huge amounts on both continents he has. He knows shitloads about every culture they come across. He was always the guy who 'saw both sides' and interpreted things accordingly, from the moment he joined up with Dany and would constantly explain Dothraki culture to help her out, but do it in a Westerosi way that she'd understand.

The guy is smart, he can fight, he has experience of almost the entire world and gives common sense advice based not on honour but on what will advance Dany's goals. He's not afraid to be honest, either. Yes it's awkward as hell that the dude fell in love with her and that he started as a spy, but she needs to forget that, put him in his place, set boundaries and then find a way to work with him. I mean, shit, you won't find anyone more loyal at this stage.
Being a Fedora is a state of mind, brah.

Jorah earned that nickname. His simping game is unrivaled.

Griss

Being a Fedora is a state of mind, brah.

Jorah earned that nickname. His simping game is unrivaled.

I don't know what simping is and if it's some PUA shit I don't want to know. I always thought Fedora had to do with being an atheist. I must be getting old, my meme game is weak...

All I know is that the guy would be useful as fuck right now. Far more useful than Mary Sue Selmy, who right now is soaking in a puddle of his own blood.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't know what simping is and if it's some PUA shit I don't want to know. I always thought Fedora had to do with being an atheist. I must be getting old, my meme game is weak...

All I know is that the guy would be useful as fuck right now. Far more useful than Mary Sue Selmy, who right now is soaking in a puddle of his own blood.

Fedora is largely a catch all term for m'lady guys who try their damnedest to woo their deified darlings, only to come out as pathetic chodes with no self respect. The friendzone is their natural habitat and Ser Jorah is their patron saint.

tumblr_mleymeghuI1ru44ono1_250.jpg

They are also known for being nice guys hypocritical fucks.

I'd rather take Daario over Jorah. At least you know he's all about fucking and fighting for the hell of it. Jorah's nobility only goes as far as his surname.

Sajjaja

Fedora is largely a catch all term for m'lady guys who try their damnedest to woo their deified darlings, only to come out as pathetic chodes with no self respect. The friendzone is their natural habitat and Ser Jorah is their patron saint.

tumblr_mleymeghuI1ru44ono1_250.jpg

They are also known for being hypocritical fucks.
im avin a giggle here m8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom