• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video game.

They're pretty awful

Basically you have 3 legit options:

Medieval 2: Total War with Westeros Total War mod
Mount & Blade with Game of Thrones/Clash of Kings mod
Crusader Kings 2 with A Game of Thrones mod

those are all much better than either of the actual licensed video games

CrunchyB

Yeah, his desire for Mel doesn't mesh well with what I think of him. Seems off.

Yeah, TV series Stannis seems to know all about the shadow babies and is perfectly fine with it.
Book Stannis might have some inkling, but he is in total denial because it doesn't mesh with his strict honor code. TV Stannis also looks quite healthy, while in the books he was a total mess at this point.

As ever, in the books things were much more nuanced and complicated while in the TV series D&D felt the urge to dumb things down to the basics. It's not a matter of budget, it's just simplifying stuff for the audience.

ASOS
except when they invent their own little stories. I have no clue where the convoluted Theon plot is going exactly, but I'm pretty sure how it will end. Replacing Edric Storm with Gendry makes sense though.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Continuing to have popular bands do versions of the book's songs?

The National did the Rains of Castamere last season

Was it too obnoxious noise that immediately kicked in after a heavy scene like that?

ezrarh

i also didn't find any of the podrick/tyrion/bronn stuff funny at all. way too heavy-handed, i'd rather they cut that garbage and spend more time with important stuff

It's a David and Dan episode. It was happening no matter what.

i also didn't find any of the podrick/tyrion/bronn stuff funny at all. way too heavy-handed, i'd rather they cut that garbage and spend more time with important stuff

Count me in on this as well. This is my first season watching the show after having read all the books, and noticing the additional scenes like this that really add up to be nothing more than time wasters is annoying as hell. There are at least 2 per episode. Spend that time somewhere else.

-griffy-

Banned
Well I don't really watch the show as a joke, but you're entitled to watch however you like. I'm glad for you, that you enjoyed it. I didn't really get it. I thought it ruined the moment even before I was able to process it.

I don't watch it as a joke either...but it was a great moment puncuated by a great and unexpected music choice, similar to the Rains of Castemere during the credits after Blackwater last season. It's a purposeful dissonance of time, and a daring creative choice; the song style is incongrous to the "time period" of the show, but the style is very fitting for what happened at the end. Describe it as a "punk" moment with a "punk" song to cap it off. Obviously it's such an unorthodox choice that not everyone will like it. But it's not meant as some kind of joke that you aren't getting.

My take on the music was that this is the first time in the series where a major "villian" actually has to suffer significantly. Thus upbeat metal for that moment of "FUCK YES! Finally!" that the audience likely had

I think that's a large misreading of the moment. If anything, it's far more complicated for the audience. Jaime started as the most despicable character on the show, but the more we get to know him the more we understand and like him. This episode was a turning point for his character. We see a camaraderie form between him and Brienne, and he does one of the more noble things we've seen recently in saving Brienne from rape and possible death. He didn't have to, in fact logically probably shouldn't have since he was her captive, but he did anyways. We see some serious shades of grey with him. So just as we start to see that BAM hand cut off. Anyone actively cheering for that moment hasn't been paying enough attention.

Evolved1

I've been a pretty happy fan of the show... but this season... idk... I'm kinda tired of watching Robb's army march everywhere or seeing just the aftermath of battles/major events so they can spend time on some dorky scene about a brothel that has like no bearing on anything of import.

It is a little frustrating.

Kuroyume

Banned
They totally ruined Jaime's hand scene. Such awful music to follow something like that doesn't work well. Not sure what they were thinking. Feel underwhelmed by the episode. Brynden was great. Enjoyed the stuff north of the wall. Theon stuff was pretty good. Quality of the show feels all over the place though... 10 episodes, even with the split season, feels so short. Jumping all over the place not giving enough time for the stories. Seriously, if I hadn't read the books I would be like wtf? at the Stannis storyline right now.

rar

They totally ruined Jaime's hand scene. Such awful music to follow something like that doesn't work well. Not sure what they were thinking. Feel underwhelmed by the episode. Brynden was great. Enjoyed the stuff north of the wall. Theon stuff was pretty good. Quality of the show feels all over the place though... 10 episodes, even with the split season, feels so short. Jumping all over the place not giving enough time for the stories. Seriously, if I hadn't read the books I would be like wtf? at the Stannis storyline right now.

one of my favorite scenes of the series, too. so disappointed

Gvaz

Banned
Hit me up.

Give Jamie Lannister a hand, ladies and gentlemen!

Yes!

I'd also like to hear it

Here's the quote

Allegedly (I stress), Ramsay's story is supposed to go like this in the first four episodes:

Theon wakes up in a dungeon and gets tortured a bit by a group of guys. Ramsay (in disguise as Boy) is like a servant or whatever. He promises to help Theon escape. Eventually Boy helps Theon get away, but Theon is run down by the group of guys. Just as they're about to kill Theon, Boy appears and kills all the guys (one calls a Boy a "Bastard" before he dies). Boy helps Theon keep going and leads him into a tunnel, all the while asking him about what happened in Winterfell (regarding Bran and Rickon's deaths). Theon finally admits that they are alive and Boy gets a weird intense look on his face. They reach the end of the tunnel and it is revealed that Boy has actually led Theon back to the dungeon he woke up in. Boy reveals that he is actually Ramsay and reimprisons Theon for some more torture.

That song at the end ruined the final scene, absolute garbage.

While it was pisspoor timing, the end song was actually a punk cover of The Bear and the Maiden Fair (a song from the book)

Hamlet

That was a great episode all the humour with pod was great and yeah the choice of music at the end did not fit at all with the tone of those final few minutes

Evolved1

I didn't find it that jarring at all.

Maybe it is different for me, since I didn't read the books, the scene was (somewhat) unexpected. You and others knew it was coming.

I imagine for you it was probably very clear what was about to happen, you may have been waiting for it to happen, wondering when it eventually would happen, and so in the lead up you had a bit of time to process it preemptively.

For someone not aware of that eventuality, it was surprising, and just as I was thinking "wow that was something"... terrible modern mood-killing music.

Anyway, talked about that enough.

Best scene for me this ep was the small council meeting at the table... rest was a bit forgettable.

jett

D-Member
This season is moving at a snail's pace, but they're doing good, the Podrick stuff was hilarious. I don't remember Edmure being this much of a failure...I really need to reread the books. :p

^
If you haven't read the books you shouldn't be in this thread.

But it totally did! Some of you guys are just so boring and unimaginative!

Punk music does NOT fit with fantasy. Especially a story with a serious tone as this. It pulled me from the setting in a rude manner.

KingKong

am I the only one who finds the Dany subplot incredibly bland?

We get these quick 5 minute scenes that barely move the story forward every episode, I wish they would just dedicate 20+ minutes to it for one episode instead of stretching it out for 4

Trasher

We get these quick 5 minute scenes that barely move the story forward every episode, I wish they would just dedicate 20+ minutes to it for one episode instead of stretching it out for 4

It would only be in one episode then. lol

Zabka

Great episode. Much has been said already but I actually loved the scene where Stannis caught himself losing his composure. And the end music.

Evolved1

^
If you haven't read the books you shouldn't be in this thread.

The spoilers seem marked well enough.

I have to say though, I'm thinking about stopping the show and reading the books instead. Either way, major events are going to be spoiled, and considering how this season seems so scatterbrained and light on detail... I'm thinking maybe it'd be best to experience this stuff first in the books. Watch the show later.

Never had much interest in the books, but this season just doesn't feel right so far. I have a million questions, and the characters I like seem to get so little breathing room.

Dysun

As a book reader I really enjoyed Tyrion/Bronn/Pod's trip to the whorehouse and their sharing secrets afterwards. *Shrug*

Stannis characterization is off but they are playing up the romance angle whenever possible and alot of that scene felt like exposition to the audience as to why Mel just can't send another baby out.

Music was jarring but I guess that was what they were going for

-griffy-

Banned
Punk music does NOT fit with fantasy. Especially a story with a serious tone as this. It pulled me from the setting in a rude manner.

But it was SO FITTING! It was such a punk moment. It's complete cognitive dissonance that matches perfectly to the moment at the same time. The guy probably wasn't going to even cut off his hand until the second he decided he was doing it. He definitely shouldn't have as it severely lessens the likelihood of a fair trade and endangers Robb's sister(s). It was a completely dangerous, spur of the moment thing he did, in other words COMPLETELY PUNK. I mean, I imagine the band at the end playing that song, kicking speakers over, breaking a guitar and slicing off Jaime's hand! Ugh it was so good and you guys are missing the point and being all pouty and lame.

Kuroyume

Banned

Her chapters haven't translated well to the show post birth of her dragons. Her chapters are interesting to read because of the brutality of the setting, and you get more fleshed out scenes with her and Mormont/Barristan. Cutting back and forth for 5 minute scenes makes her stuff forgettable.

The spoilers seem marked well enough.

I have to say though, I'm thinking about stopping the show and reading the books instead. Either way, major events are going to be spoiled, and considering how this season seems so scatterbrained and light on detail... I'm thinking maybe it'd be best to experience this stuff first in the books. Watch the show later.

Never had much interest in the books, but this season just doesn't feel right so far. I have a million questions, and the characters I like seem to get so little breathing room.

I felt the same but didn't feel like reading the books. So I just spent hours reading the wiki...

Masenkame

Perhaps because of my history of reading the novels and watching the show, this episode had some really great emotional moments. Arya and Gendry leaving Hot Pie, and Catelyn grieving felt really poignant.

The song at the end is jarring, but it seems to fit in with the "troll" stylings of George R. R. Martin and A Song of Ice and Fire. I don't have the perspective of a show-only watcher, so I can't expect the same reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom