• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
But it was SO FITTING! It was such a punk moment. It's complete cognitive dissonance that matches perfectly to the moment at the same time. The guy probably wasn't going to even cut off his hand until the second he decided he was doing it. He definitely shouldn't have as it severely lessens the likelihood of a fair trade and endangers Robb's sister(s). It was a completely dangerous, spur of the moment thing he did, in other words COMPLETELY PUNK. I mean, I imagine the band at the end playing that song, kicking speakers over, breaking a guitar and slicing off Jaime's hand! Ugh it was so good and you guys are missing the point and being all pouty and lame.

You seem to really like punk music... most people don't.

Massa

I thought the point of the music at the end was to shock you just as Jamie had been a few moments earlier. It worked well, for me anyway.

I though this was a good episode overall, except for Stannis. The Talisa scene is not getting enough credit here but I really liked it. Arya, Catelyn and Tyrion all killed it.

Jeels

Well, if someone's biggest fit for this episode is credits music, I think it was a damned good episode this week.

Loved the way they handled it btw. It just made the "shock" moment all the more shocking. If they had tried to make it all dramatic and shit I probably would have laughed, and not in the good way.

Great episode. Awful credit music, as said. Whoever chose that that should lose their job. Also why are the recaps so poorly edited? They just seem to cut out awkwardly halfway through scenes

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
On the version I watched, the song came in right after the line "You think you're so smart" or whatever. So all of the screaming and stuff didn't happen, just a shitty punk rock song.

Was that a fuck-up on the version I watched, or did that happen purposely before the credits rolled?

I thought the point of the music at the end was to shock you just as Jamie had been a few moments earlier. It worked well, for me anyway.

I though this was a good episode overall, except for Stannis. The Talisa scene is not getting enough credit here but I really liked it. Arya, Catelyn and Tyrion all killed it.
But the shock moment was the event itself, the music just pulled me away from that moment completely

jett

D-Member
Having this random sadistic group soldiers seems a bit weird to be honest. They really did handle(cough cough) the actual maiming part really well though. Outta nowhere.

cj_iwakura

On the version I watched, the song came in right after the line "You think you're so smart" or whatever. So all of the screaming and stuff didn't happen, just a shitty punk rock song.

Was that a fuck-up on the version I watched, or did that happen purposely before the credits rolled?

It was an eff-up.

And is that really punk? It sounds more like Irish rock to me.

RaidenZR

Well I don't really watch the show as a joke, but you're entitled to watch however you like. I'm glad for you, that you enjoyed it. I didn't really get it. I thought it ruined the moment even before I was able to process it.

I'm with you. It took me out completely.

-griffy-

Banned
The Hold Steady aren't a punk band...

Yeah, I figured it wasn't "punk" music but I have no idea what genre that is, and my posts still reflect my thoughts to the tone and style of the music and how that relates to the scene. I just said punk initially by way of example and other people continued saying it so I just went with it.

I thought it was a perfect cap off to that moment. What tension did it exactly ruin? We got an "OH SHIT HAND" moment followed by a rendition of an in-fiction song that conveyed the idea of "FUCK YOU AND YOUR HAND THIS SHOW DON"T PLAY BY NO RULES!" It was great! It left you gobsmacked twice over.

Yep, this was kind of my take, too. I thought the music at the end was a great bit of punctuation to a beautiful "ha ha fuck you, this show can still surprise you" moment.

Gvaz

Banned
am I the only one who finds the Dany subplot incredibly bland?

We get these quick 5 minute scenes that barely move the story forward every episode, I wish they would just dedicate 20+ minutes to it for one episode instead of stretching it out for 4

So it's just like the books!

Gotta say, though, I've been a pretty lenient book reader overall, I love the books and I love the show, and for the most part I don't resent the changes or different takes the show goes for. I mean after all, it's not like it makes the book version disappear or anything. It's just two different continuities.

With that caveat out of the way... I'm getting a little bummed over Stannis. I mean, Show Stannis is a perfectly good character and all, but Book Stannis is so unique in that he's such a perfect study of a Lawful Neutral archetype that I feel like they kind of missed out on an opportunity. It's like they flirted with it with that "SER Jamie Lannister" bit, but days like today are a reminder that overall, they're making Show Stannis just another greedy dude fighting for the throne.

Gotta say, though, I've been a pretty lenient book reader overall, I love the books and I love the show, and for the most part I don't resent the changes or different takes the show goes for. I mean after all, it's not like it makes the book version disappear or anything. It's just two different continuities.

With that caveat out of the way... I'm getting a little bummed over Stannis. I mean, Show Stannis is a perfectly good character and all, but Book Stannis is so unique in that he's such a perfect study of a Lawful Neutral archetype that I feel like they kind of missed out on an opportunity. It's like they flirted with it with that "SER Jamie Lannister" bit, but days like today are a reminder that overall, they're making Show Stannis just another greedy dude fighting for the throne.

Stop crystallizing all my thoughts about show Stannis vs. book Stannis. Sigh. :(

jett

D-Member

The scene with Stannis tonight was undoubtedly one of the worst in the entire show.

Great episode

-Benioff (and Weiss? He's credited in almost everything as also directing ep 3, but not in the actual episode credits?) did a great job directing. Really loved how it was shot. The wide shot of Theon's savior shooting the guy in the head from point blank was amazing.
-Well paced and tons of great scenes in general.
-Nice introductions to Blackfish and Edmure, loved the scene of Edmure's screw ups.
-The council scene with no dialogue, awesome. Tyrion dragging the chair was fittingly hilarious.
-North of the Wall scenes were great (liked Mance's comment about the Walkers being decorators)
-Final scene was great, but put me in the camp that thought the timing of the song at the end was pretty bad.

Recap incoming..

i can't deal with all the story arcs and the no time we have with them... we really need this to turn into a 2 hour show. the wait kills me every week. :(

Statins is not the same character as he is in the books, and that is fine. The books have more space to make a neutral, rather dull character like Stannis more interesting. Portrayed that way in the show would make for a dull, dull character. Stannis in the show is greedy, weak, hypocritical with an ironic sense of pride and lawfulness.

Moofers

So did that music interrupt in the HBO airing? It sounds like all these complaints are about a shitty torrented version or something. Who saw it on HBO?

Moaradin

So did that music interrupt in the HBO airing? It sounds like all these complaints are about a shitty torrented version or something. Who saw it on HBO?

I saw it on HBO GO. The music played during the credits. Did some people actually hear it during the scene itself?

RaidenZR

Oh how I wish this were true. Haha

It was real, man. It didn't overlap into the scene, it just started IMMEDIATELY. Doesn't even matter when it started, though. Bad song is bad.

Statins is not the same character as he is in the books, and that is fine. The books have more space to make a neutral, rather dull character like Stannis more interesting. Portrayed that way in the show would make for a dull, dull character. Stannis in the show is greedy, weak, hypocritical with an ironic sense of pride and lawfulness.

I see where you're coming from but Stannis SHOULD be dull. It's the best part about him. There should be no passion for Mel or anyone. Just single-mindedly pursuing the throne. Nothing else.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Next week... I am excite. Tonites episode with Pod was great. The show is going to really need those moments down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom