• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
ovy75Db.jpg

Content Roundup: Walk of Punishment

Reviews and Recaps:
AV Club (for experts)
AV Club (for newbies)
Sepinwall (Hitflix) Review
IGN Review
Huffington Post recap
WiC.net recap (book spoilers)
The Hollywood Reporter recap
Grantland recap

HBO Content
Inside the Episode: Walk of Punishment
"And Now His Watch Is Ended" Preview (Please Spoiler Tag any Preview Discussion)

This post will be added to the OP.

Dysun

So did that music interrupt in the HBO airing? It sounds like all these complaints are about a shitty torrented version or something. Who saw it on HBO?

My cousin texted me about a shitty torrent rip that had the music blaring before the hand was chopped off so yeah...

-griffy-

Banned
So did that music interrupt in the HBO airing? It sounds like all these complaints are about a shitty torrented version or something. Who saw it on HBO?

On HBO, his hand gets cut off, there is a beat where it lingers on the shot for a moment so you actually comprehend what happened, then it cuts to black. Another beat and the song starts. The song doesn't play over the show, only the credits.

VanMastaIteHab

Neo Member
I was watching a streamed version from a random website and the music did indeed cut in before the hand was cut off. But then I watched the HBO Go version because I couldn't believe that they would have done that, and it only plays during the credits there.

Moaradin

Maybe I could understand the music "ruining the scene" comments if it actually played during the scene for some people LOL. The music being played in the credits was perfectly fine for me.

-griffy-

Banned
Maybe I could understand the music "ruining the scene" comments if it actually played during the scene for some people LOL. The music being played in the credits was perfectly fine for me.

Yeah, THAT would have been a real problem and rightful point of complaint.

Statins is not the same character as he is in the books, and that is fine. The books have more space to make a neutral, rather dull character like Stannis more interesting. Portrayed that way in the show would make for a dull, dull character. Stannis in the show is greedy, weak, hypocritical with an ironic sense of pride and lawfulness.

Well, maybe it could be something along the lines of Agent Van Alden as he was portrayed in the first season of Boardwalk Empire. That's almost more like Book Stannis to me. "The Law > What's Right" is such a crucial part of who he is in the books.

There's such an interesting contrast between him and say, Ned. Ned was honorable to a fault, but his version of honor was always doing the right thing, and we discover that in this setting, that's a sure fire way to wind up dead. Stannis' idea of honor is following the letter of the law, but he doesn't give a shit about people for the most part. So where does THAT get you in Westeros? Getting an answer to that intriguing question is what Book Stannis brings to the table.

I feel like they missed out on an opportunity to have a unique type of character you don't see on tv too often.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Book purist checking in. And guess what... I liked the episode. I really did. The only bad parts to me were:

- Stannis. Book-Stannis is a teeth-grinding ass, but he's actually kinda cool in a way. And he has a sense of humour. Seriously, he pulls off some nice zingers at times. He's wry. TV-Stannis is just insufferable. I didn't mind the exposition that explained why they don't make another shadow baby, but I didn't like how they did it.
- Pod in the brothel. Gratuitous filler and boob quota BS. Could have easily been cut and spend those precious minutes on more important matters. It was only mildly funny, too (and mostly because of the Meereenese knot joke).
- The end credits song. Wow, that was especially awful. WTF?? Way to ruin the atmosphere, idiots. What were they thinking?

The good? Pretty much everything else. And notice it mostly stayed true to the source material too... ^_^ Even the Talisa scene wasn't so bad, it was mildly funny and introduced to Martyn Lannister, [ASoS]
the poor boy's gonna get murdered by Lord Karstark soon. :(
The northmen singing the Bear and the Maiden Fair was a nice touch, I liked the medieval version (not the rock one ugh). I wish we had seen more Varys, but I was glad to see him again, if only for a little while. The smirk he had during that council meeting was priceless.

Nice to see Craster again. Somehow he's even less likeable than the book version, and that's saying a lot, hah. [ASoS]
I won't shed any tears when he eats it, oh no. Poor Jeor though... that really pissed me off in the book, possibly more than RW to be honest. :( I really liked the Old Bear. I'm guessing Rast will lead the mutiny, or at least that's what I took from that scene with Sam in the earlier episode.

The Dany scene rocked. Well directed. Missandei's adorable. And yay, the "Rhaegar died" line, thank you writers for keeping that in! That scene, along with Theon (I know where they're going with this, oh yes) and of course Jaime, were the highlights. Oh yeah, anyone noticed the budget increase? We finally see some horses, lol. XD

Nice to see a reference to the Iron Bank of Braavos. [ADWD]
I have a feeling that will become more important later, as we've seen the seeds of that in ADWD

Poor Edmure really got a lousy (faithful, but man poor dude) introduction, hah. Blackfish was a BAMF, really liked that casting.

Farewell, Hot Pie.

It's a David and Dan episode. It was happening no matter what.
Haha, yeah, they can't help themselves, gotta meet that boob quota.

That song at the end ruined the final scene, absolute garbage.
Yeah, seriously, what were they thinking. Ugh. I hope the criticism is strong enough that it'll be left out of the DVD/Blu-ray version somehow...

Edit: oh yeah, I knew this wasn't gonna happen cause they cut Vargo and this Locke doesn't have a lisp, but I was still kinda sad to miss the "thapphireth" line. xD I guess it's one of those things that work better on paper and would be too goofy on TV... then again, that credits song sure was goofy, so go figure?

Time to head over to the Unsullied thread and have a peek (don't worry, I don't post in it, except to say insipid things like "Jaime is hawt", I'm not stupid)

Dawg

Book purist checking in. And guess what... I liked the episode. I really did. The only bad parts to me were:

- Stannis. Book-Stannis is a teeth-grinding ass, but he's actually kinda cool in a way. And he has a sense of humour. Seriously, he pulls off some nice zingers at times. He's wry.

Well, to be honest... it wasn't until
the wildling battle at the wall
that Stannis became interesting again. I think this season will be buildup for that, nothing *really* special gonna happen with him until S4 (?) ?

gutshot

The sudden jump to the Hold Steady reminded me of An American Werewolf in London. I liked it.

Congrats, you got what the showrunners were going for!

“It’s such a shocking ending and when we read the scene in the books it was so shocking to us,” Weiss says. “To really hammer home the shock of that moment you need something unexpected. There’s no version of a traditional score that would keep you as off balance as we wanted that scene to leaving you feeling.”

“I can’t imagine having that conversation with Ramin [Djawadi] our composer — ‘Now we need the Jaime-gets-his-hand-chopped-off music,’” adds Benioff. who made his directorial debut with this episode. “What we always loved in An American Werewolf in London, we see our hero shot and killed and then his lover runs to embrace his dead body — it’s a sad ending — but then we cut to black and it’s [the bouncy 1961 Marcell's hit] ‘Blue Moon.’ And that jarring juxtaposition was fantastic.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/14/thrones-jaime-hand/

Pretty good episode. Ending was great although I do think the end credits song was pretty shitty, and kind of kills the impact. Seems like no music, no nothing would have made more sense for the end credits (or some sombre violins). It's like boom, shock scene. Then credits blast a song, which is way worse than this btw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6VMSYIXCCY

Loved the introduction of the Blackfish; definitely got its point across pretty effectively. But the scene with Edmure reminded me of how wasted Robb's arc has been. Seems like having Robb scenes where he's actually, you know, planning out his war, would make far more sense than him lazing around doing nothing for S2 and early S3.

Stannis continues to be a waste on television, oh well. Didn't like that scene with Melisandre at all, although it sets up some interesting stuff.

Hot Pie's exit was great though, as was all of the Arya stuff. With respect to the Tyrion stuff...I liked the Small Council meeting, and I did like the beginning of the Pod scene but it went on too long. Again, it really seems like they're wasting valuable time, it really makes no sense to me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
*snip*
I knew they were gonna try to justify that dumbass choice somehow, but it's still a dumbass choice no matter how they spin it.

I'll fix it for you and everyone else complaining about it, on future viewings hit mute when Jaime's scene ends.
I shouldn't have to do that, though. It's the showrunner's responsibility to not suck. :p

pretty decent episode. ending moment and the credits song was great haha.

i had my doubts that they would chop jaime's hand off in this series tbh.

Going into these threads is playing with fire.

As much as I like chatting with the bros about movies and whatever, use Facebook/PM/Tinychat.

Pkaz01

Regarding Mel and the king's blood

ASOS
Hope she takes the ghost of high heart's place if she meets arya, what she says to arya is so awesome

Lothar

Banned
First episode since Blackwater that I have no complaints. I think that was one of the best episodes of the series. Everything was almost shockingly superbly well directed, namely Riverrun, Theon being chased through the forest, and Dany. The introduction of Riverrun is much better than I thought it would be. I appreciate the small pointless scenes for sake of humor such as with Pod/Tyrion/Bronn, so viewers aren't constantly bombarded with character names and serious plot for the whole episode. I would take that over exposition or sexposition any day. And no other actor could have played Jaime Lannister better.

Well, one complaint. Mance is miscast and is rather boring. When every other role on the show being perfectly cast, I'm still scratching my head on that one.

Ferrio

Banned

It did in the one we watched, friend had it torrented. Luckily the real HBO one was airing, so we switched it to that. Just had to wait another 20 minutes to catch up the scene we were at.

It was quite hilarious actually, music started playing as he pushed the knife toward his eye.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
It is completely ridiculous. I noticed it straight away, why do they do it?
It is sad.

I haven't watched any episodes this season yet, but [ASOS]
if it's anything like the books, you can see it coming a mile away, so I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. Only question is can the show make it not fucking stupid, which is what it is in the books.

Moaradin

i mean if you're a non-book reader, you shouldn't even be in this thread unless you want to be spoiled anyway lol

Well if people are following the rules, they shouldn't be posting open spoilers in this thread either. If things are properly tagged, it shouldn't be a problem. And I like hearing some perspective from book readers.

pulga

Banned
It is completely ridiculous. I noticed it straight away, why do they do it?
It is sad.

Noticed it as well. Its sad the things people to in order to win some e-peen and get to say "Haa! Called it, you lesser beings!"

Report his ass, FootballCLInt

RaidenZR

Eff this defense. It's a little weird to start making huge stylistic and tonal shifts like that three seasons into a series, even if it was just the capper on the episode. There was time to set precedents like that if they wanted to. Trying it out now for kicks seems like a misstep, [ASOS]
especially because there are going to be many more shocking moments in the near future.

Guess now we can look forward to the Biz Markie intro and Weird Al's version of Rains of Castamere.

Lkr

I haven't watched any episodes this season yet, but [ASOS]
if it's anything like the books, you can see it coming a mile away, so I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. Only question is can the show make it not fucking stupid, which is what it is the books.

Just the way he said it was really what made me think. tbh i really didn't see it coming in the book. i knew it was a possibility and i hoped it happened, but just knowing GRRM i thought something else might happen

Somnia

Noticed it as well. Its sad the things people to in order to win some e-peen and get to say "Haa! Called it, you lesser beings!"

Report his ass, FootballCLInt

Which post is it? I'm trying to see if it looks like they really guessed at all or if its obvious what they did.

FootballFan

Just the way he said it was really what made me think. tbh i really didn't see it coming in the book. i knew it was a possibility and i hoped it happened, but just knowing GRRM i thought something else might happen

The thing is, that particular scene. That of which we do not speak, is easily one of my personal top 10 moments up to this point in the books.

Archer

On HBO, his hand gets cut off, there is a beat where it lingers on the shot for a moment so you actually comprehend what happened, then it cuts to black. Another beat and the song starts. The song doesn't play over the show, only the credits.

yep, it reminded me of some true blood bullshit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom