• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you guys referring to my post regarding
the language? Hardly a spoiler considering Dany replied to Missendei in a foreign language after they spent the whole episode smirking and talking in a foreign language.

I haven't read SOS in about five years so I'm not even sure if saying that
the languages in the free cities come from valyrian
is actually related to what happens in this season, its something I looked up after watching the episode because I thought that (all books spoilers)
valar morghullis was just something said in Aryas story

squidyj

this time they had a shit band do a shit version of a book song. completely different

i mean opinions and shit, but are you fucking kidding me?

It's a drinking song recorded by a bar band....

The jump from jaime getting his hand cut off was amazing in this shocking, almost surreal fashion. Especially when you consider how the series of close calls went with theon etc. Just as the the horror of both potential rapes were shied away from, the hand chopping came almost without warning just like the song. well done.

Guess now we can look forward to the Biz Markie intro and Weird Al's version of Rains of Castamere.

I loled but no.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
For whatever reason, I sort of wish they had lingered on the shot of Jaime's hand being severed for about three more seconds. Its weird and macabre, I know, but for whatever reason I was expecting more time to have it sink in that "holy shit that dude just lost his hand."

Gvaz

Banned
When we first reported the news that The Hold Steady would perform “The Bear and Maiden Fair” in season three, we teased that the song would not be used where fans of George R.R. Martin’s novels might expect. It’s tough to imagine a more unexpected moment than right after Locke slams a giant knife onto Jaime’s wrist. The wildly mismatched pairing of the violence and a rock song by a contemporary band was a very deliberate move.
“It’s such a shocking ending and when we read the scene in the books it was so shocking to us,” Weiss says. “To really hammer home the shock of that moment you need something unexpected. There’s no version of a traditional score that would keep you as off balance as we wanted that scene to leaving you feeling.”
“I can’t imagine having that conversation with Ramin [Djawadi] our composer — ‘Now we need the Jaime-gets-his-hand-chopped-off music,’” adds Benioff. who made his directorial debut with this episode. “What we always loved in An American Werewolf in London, we see our hero shot and killed and then his lover runs to embrace his dead body — it’s a sad ending — but then we cut to black and it’s [the bouncy 1961 Marcell's hit] ‘Blue Moon.’ And that jarring juxtaposition was fantastic.”

The important part of that interview

suzu

I liked Cat's scene with the Blackfish.
Didn't like the Stannis scene. I prefer the more stoic book ver of him.
Didn't care for the brothel scene, except for the knot joke.
The song at the end was ehhhh (the chorus is okay).

Loved the ending song.

I totally got what they were going for there. They obviously don't need to do that every time, but to punctuate such an extreme moment like that in that way was excellent.

Vyer

I was wondering why people were getting worked up over end credit music, but if that shitty torrent stuff is true and that's where some of this is coming from that's amusing.

Also, Blackfish was awesome.

RaidenZR

I was wondering why people were getting worked up over end credit music, but if that shitty torrent stuff is true and that's where some of this is coming from that's amusing.

Also, Blackfish was awesome.

I think there's some confusion. I don't know what this torrent talk is referring to- HBO Go showed me the final scene and a quick, clean cut to black/credits with the music blasting immediately. Some of us think that 1) the choice to do the song in the way they did it, 2) with the band they chose to employ, and 3) pushing it hard against the abrupt cut to black after said Jamie scene, were all bad ideas.

subrock

This may be the first time I've ever seen a horse or vehicle chase where every single person ducked a low branch. I'm impressed.
Hah, I thought the same thing,

Also, I agree with people that say mance is miscast. I imagined him more like a north of the wall Jamie, not an old grizzled fuck

The important part of that interview

Just because they can justify it doesn't make it any less shit.

Having not seen An American Werewolf In London I get the impression from the little I know of it that it is a comedy-horror film. By and large GoT is serious fantasy and the stuff like with Pod, Tyrion and Bronn in today's episode takes up a minority of the screen time (or space in the books).

To really hammer home the shock of that moment you need something unexpected.

Or you know, you can let it fucking breathe.

edit:

I think there's some confusion. I don't know what this torrent talk is referring to- HBO Go showed me an the final scene and a quick, clean cut to black/credits with the music blasting immediately. Some of think that 1) the choice to do the song in the way they did it, 2) with the band they chose to employ, and 3) pushing it hard against the abrupt cut to black after said Jamie scene, were all bad ideas.

The song cuts in early after the dude from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is talking about Tywin and says "and that's it, all your troubles are gone". Drowns out the end of his speech and Jamie's screaming.

exYle

Just because they can justify it doesn't make it any less shit.

Having not seen An American Werewolf In London I get the impression from the little I know of it that it is a comedy-horror film. By and large GoT is serious fantasy and the stuff like with Pod, Tyrion and Bronn in today's episode takes up a minority of the screen time (or space in the books).

Or you know, you can let it fucking breathe.

edit:

The song cuts in early after the dude from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is talking about Tywin and says "and that's it, all your troubles are gone". Drowns out the end of his speech and Jamie's screaming.

It's HBO's way of punishing us filthy torrenters.

I loved the song. What a great moment, and for a second I wondered if there was any more time left in the episode, then that music hit.

exYle

Hah, I thought the same thing,

Also, I agree with people that say mance is miscast. I imagined him more like a north of the wall Jamie, not an old grizzled fuck

I don't mind Hinds thus far, but I agree that Dominic West seems more like the Mance Rayder we were hoping for.

Maybe he'll be cast as the Red Viper. That would be something.

Vyer

I think there's some confusion. I don't know what this torrent talk is referring to- HBO Go showed me the final scene and a quick, clean cut to black/credits with the music blasting immediately. Some of us think that 1) the choice to do the song in the way they did it, 2) with the band they chose to employ, and 3) pushing it hard against the abrupt cut to black after said Jamie scene, were all bad ideas.

No I understand that, though I disagree completely (well, I'm not a fan of the song itself but still liked how the episode ended) and think it's still a lot of concern over end credits music.

Regardless, obviously there are some bad copies or torrents around or something as people are also specifically talking about the music starting before the scene even ended.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was much better than the first two episodes, that's for sure. I really liked Hot Pie's farewell scene, as well as the chair scene in King's Landing. And I actually didn't mind the song at the end; a lot of the shows that I watch have similar endings, so I wasn't bothered by it at all.

Also,

Podrick = god of sex

Also,

not funny at all and a total waste of time. Ugh that was just awful.

I have to say though, I'm thinking about stopping the show and reading the books instead. Either way, major events are going to be spoiled, and considering how this season seems so scatterbrained and light on detail... I'm thinking maybe it'd be best to experience this stuff first in the books. Watch the show later.

That would be an extremely wise choice.

Also, from the no book spoiler thread:

Wow I literally screamed at that ending.

:lol :lol :lol

Symphonic

Also,

not funny at all and a total waste of time. Ugh that was just awful.

th_NoFunAllowed.jpg

pulga

Banned
I love that the ending song is the biggest gripe this week. Means the episode was fantastic, but GAFs always gonna find something to bitch about.

squidyj

I completely disagree with all three of those points. They employed a bar band for what is essentially a drinking song. The abruptness of the cut was to enhance the abruptness and shock factor of jaimes hand being chopped off and was played in contrast to the slow boil of trouble for brienne and for theon throughout the episode, whereas early in the episode we have jaime telling brienne she's going to be raped, to the conversation about what armies do on the other side of the world to theons impending and narrowly averted rape. we were being lead through a slowly building tension which was averted with jaimes play, even the tension in his dealings and the eye seemed to fall away just before GOODBYE HAND.

It was well done, it's a good song, and it was a great choice.

Vyer

Tyrion-Pod scenes were enjoyable IMO.

Anyhow, I too am looking forward to some Twitter responses in the morning.

The song was as perfect as I'd hoped it would be. And used perfectly as well. The choice of The Hold Steady for that song was inspired.

The hate is ridiculous and hilarious.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah people who disagree with me are RIDICULOUS. God forbid some people dislike having one of the most serious dramatic scenes into a joke. Maybe you'd all be okay with a Blink 182 song following Ned's execution? Cause it's for the lulz

Next time they need to hire Loreena McKennitt. Seriously.

That episode was really dark and I'm not positive I would have ended the episode with that song. It wouldn't have been my choice. I didn't think it was awful, but it was certainly not ideal to me.

The fact that you're:

- seemingly convinced this is a pop punk song by a pop punk band
- comparing them to Blink 182, or Alanis Morissette in the non-book thread
- thinking that placement of the song turns the previous scene into a joke

... is only making things more hilarious from my point of view. Sorry.

The song is a raucous drinking song and it's one that we heard being sung earlier in the show by the very people that cut his hand off.

The song's use is for that of contrast, a merry song against terrible events. squidyj does a fine job explaining it so I won't waste any more words here. It's fine that you don't like it, and I'm sure your mind won't be changed. So be it.

ramyeon

Yeah people who disagree with me are RIDICULOUS. God forbid some people dislike having one of the most serious dramatic scenes into a joke. Maybe you'd all be okay with a Blink 182 song following Ned's execution? Cause it's for the lulz

Next time they need to hire Loreena McKennitt. Seriously.
We get it, you didn't like it. But I did and so did a lot of others.

I thought it was perfect timing and that few seconds were it cut off before the song came in was amazing. Such a good ending.

And I didn't see it as a joke. It was an amazing contrast.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
That music at the end... I guess I don't get the joke. Way to immediately kill any possibility of lingering tension from the episode.

S3 is off to a pretty rough start for me. I feel like they're spread way too thin.

I cannot rewatch these episodes like I could with previous seasons.

Someone said the immediate ending and cut-to (lol) happy go lucky song made him WTF in the same way that scene in the book did. It did the same thing to me too, it was a good thing to make you freak out and want to see more.

Enosh

Book purist checking in. And guess what... I liked the episode. I really did. The only bad parts to me were:

- Stannis. Book-Stannis is a teeth-grinding ass, but he's actually kinda cool in a way. And he has a sense of humour. Seriously, he pulls off some nice zingers at times. He's wry. TV-Stannis is just insufferable. I didn't mind the exposition that explained why they don't make another shadow baby, but I didn't like how they did it.
"this is not king's landing"
stannis humor is best humor

asos
I guess his "stannis fuck yeah" stuff comes at the end of season 4, I don't think he does anything of note in season 3, so more of a "hey guys don't forget this one, we haven't we swear!"

I liked the song, but I really dislike the use of it in the show, should just be a bonus on the soundtrack not in the credits of an episode

Realyn

[series spoiler, don't read if you haven't read all the books because I can't remember shit! ;)]
About the Theon hunt scene - how exactly was it described in the books? It seemed abit harsh that Ramsay's guys actually shot arrows at Theon trying to kill him.

CassSept

Bra-vo! The best episode in a long time. Fantastic.

Random musings:
- Blackfish introduction was great
- They screwed up "Rhaegar fought bravely" line. Totally. I'm glad it was included but it was one of the best lines of the series. Here it's dropped nonchalantly without any weight to it. In the books it was a great WHAM! moment to end a chapter, here the line is completely wasted.
- "Meereenese Knot" har har. They probably filled their nude quota for the last, this and maybe even next episode. Following scene with Tyrion, Bronn and Pod was pretty funny too
- [ADWD]
Ramsay is magnificent.
- ending was A-MA-ZING. Cut to credits was brilliant, almost like something from an oddball dark comedy

PS. Can't book readers really not resist from posting in the other thread? Even if you manage to refrain from posting spoilers, let them be. You're still biased by the books on how you see the show. Let them have their own thread. Additionally, this will reduce accidental spoilers that sometimes get posted there.

[series spoiler, don't read if you haven't read all the books because I can't remember shit! ;)]
About the Theon hunt scene - how exactly was it described in the books? It seemed abit harsh that Ramsay's guys actually shot arrows at Theon trying to kill him.

Totally different

Ramsay intentionally released Kyra and he knew she would free Theon. Both Kyra and Theon managed to get away for a short while but eventually Ramsay caught on.

You see Ramysay liked to toy with people, especially girls. Ramsay had his dogs eat Kyra while she was still alive and Theon retured to castle Dreadfort for more skinning. Joffrey is not even half of what Ramsay is

Kyra = just a common girl

Realyn

Totally different

Ramsay intentionally released Kyra and he knew she would free Theon. Both Kyra and Theon managed to get away for a short while but eventually Ramsay caught on.

You see Ramysay liked to toy with people, especially girls. Ramsay had his dogs eat Kyra while she was still alive and Theon retured to castle Dreadfort for more skinning. Joffrey is not even half of what Ramsay is

Kyra = just a common girl

Well, I remember what kind of person Ramsay is ;). I was just curious about the chase scene, since book Ramsay wouldn't have wanted Theon to get killed.

Honestly ending with that song made me think I just watched a True Blood episode.

I kind of got that feeling too, but I totally didn't mind because I always liked when they would do something incredibly fucked up on that show and then use a song that really just heightens everything that just happened.

It's good for a show like GoT to have that kind of spontaneity every now and then. Sometimes episodes just "end" and leave me going "... aaaaand I guess that's it." This was just a great ending all around. A true cliffhanger.

aceface

*rolls eyes*

Tyrion's trial was funny and (gasp) improved on the novels. This just wasn't. There's plenty of humour in the source material, but this was just filler. Come on, even the fanboys should admit that much.

Nope, I do my share of bitching on book to screen comparisons and the Pod brothel scene and aftermath was awesome. Pod the Pimp motherfuckers. Pod the Pimp.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Stannis seemed weak and desperate in that scene. If that was supposed to make me shake my head at his failure and feel sorry for him, then mission accomplished, I guess.

Ending music sounded out of place, but that was intentional. I can see why they did that, but I'd rather have the regular music.

So many plotlines, so little time :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom