• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of got that feeling too, but I totally didn't mind because I always liked when they would do something incredibly fucked up on that show and then use a song that really just heightens everything that just happened.

It's good for a show like GoT to have that kind of spontaneity every now and then. Sometimes episodes just "end" and leave me going "... aaaaand I guess that's it." This was just a great ending all around. A true cliffhanger.

I was surprised they went through with it. Poor old Jaime, still, could be worse.

not_fair48ube.gif

Kind of disappointed with Tyrion this season. This parts of the story are supposed to be dark days for him. But instead he has bounced back quickly to be the comedy relief. I wish they'd just drove home the dark and dreaded side of life in Westeros now. Everywhere still looks green and vibrant, in my mind I pictured dying fields of crops, salted earths, burnt out shacks and bodies everywhere with the land being ravaged. Was hoping they'd really drive home the depression felt.

LordCanti

They really need to spend a little more on the CG in places like the slave encampment. The Buddha looking statue looked really jank.

Other than that, I liked this episode. We're definitely getting into a part of the story where there just isn't enough time to show everyone (Arya and Jon got like...a minute each). I think more time should have been spent on them, and less on Tyrion getting Pod laid. All things considered, they're doing a decent job though.

The cg harpy looked fine.

It looked like something out of a scifi original TV special to me =/

I didn't even have time to realize that it was the harpy.

Yeah people who disagree with me are RIDICULOUS. God forbid some people dislike having one of the most serious dramatic scenes into a joke. Maybe you'd all be okay with a Blink 182 song following Ned's execution? Cause it's for the lulz

Next time they need to hire Loreena McKennitt. Seriously.

You're the one who wants the guy cutting off Jaime's hand to say, "thaphireth," but we want to have the dramatic scenes turned into a joke?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
This episode was very good and I feel the season in general has taken a big step up from the previous. Still a couple fair complaints but some of the negative comments (much fewer and far between than last year) I really don't understand.

Eidan

Easily the best episode of the season. Once again I can't stress enough how good looking this show is. I especially liked the shots of Theon galloping through the countryside.

The final scene was great from beginning to end. The lingering seconds on Jaime were a good touch. I honestly expected a quick cut away before the severing. The song also worked as it added a level of surrealism to the entire event. I liked it. Not surprised that the usual suspects didn't care for it.

I also liked the Pod/Bronn/Tyrion scene. It added some fun levity to the proceedings, and more importantly, added some comraderie to Pod and Tyrion's relationship, something I thought was really needed.

I wished we had a good exterior shot of Riverrun. That's something I've really been looking forward to.

Ruze789

Another great episode! Loved it.

I had forgotten that the longest weeks of the entire year are these 10 weeks, having to wait another 7 days for another episode of this.

Fitz

I glad that they're showing Cat starting to break down. ASOS
The Red Wedding won't be as good if Cat doesn't completely lose it.

Zabka

I hope someone uploads the bootleg version of the last scene to youtube. The music cutting in early sounds hilarious.

sammex

You know that was an excellent episode when the choice of credits song was one of the biggest complaints. I thought it worked really well for such a shocking moment. Also it was good seeing some more of Riverrun - does anyone know where that river is that they filmed it at?

Definitely the best episode so far this season.. and now the long wait for next week. :(

gdt

I really don't like this whimpering TV Stannis. He's bending right over for Mell.

Great episode aside from that though.

Dysun

You're the one who wants the guy cutting off Jaime's hand to say, "thaphireth," but we want to have the dramatic scenes turned into a joke?

He wants everything done by the book, anything not in the book is more than often derided for being stupid, or a waste of time. Haters gonna hate as they say

So is was the "whores returning the gold" bit just what it seemed like at face value? Tyrion set it up to make Pod feel even better? Or is there something more to it, like maybe Tywin told the brothel not to take any more money from Tyrion or he'd nuke the whole place?

Eidan

So is was the "whores returning the gold" bit just what it seemed like at face value? Tyrion set it up to make Pod feel even better? Or is there something more to it, like maybe Tywin told the brothel not to take any more money from Tyrion or he'd nuke the whole place?

I took the scene at face value. Just a good opportunity to show the characters living a little.

I think that's a large misreading of the moment. If anything, it's far more complicated for the audience. Jaime started as the most despicable character on the show, but the more we get to know him the more we understand and like him. This episode was a turning point for his character. We see a camaraderie form between him and Brienne, and he does one of the more noble things we've seen recently in saving Brienne from rape and possible death. He didn't have to, in fact logically probably shouldn't have since he was her captive, but he did anyways. We see some serious shades of grey with him. So just as we start to see that BAM hand cut off. Anyone actively cheering for that moment hasn't been paying enough attention.

That is part of my point though.
Honestly you should probably spoiler tag your "turning point" comments... at this point the non book readers have no insight to what jaime is thinking. His inner monologue is gone so the only "good" deed that the viewers are entitled to is him preventing them from raping Brienne, rather than his constant inner monologue about growing fond of her and slowly becoming that sort of zen like non villianous Lannister. He is still the guy who threw bran out of the window, he is still the guy who fought ned outside the brothel and killed Jory, he is still the guy who brutally murdered the frey boy to escape prison, he is still the guy who wanted to kill brienne by the end of the previous episode. I can go on and on. There is a reason why i put "villian" in quotes however but I would guess as a non book reader, he is stil a villian.
Let me be clear, I don't disagree with you.

Is that supposed to be Ramsay?
ADWD

Did the
You Little Bastard... comment
not give it away?

D.Lo

I didn't like the song either. A cheap, childish thing to do with the production.

How about no music? Leave the credits silent?

GoT doesn't need some kind of meta-media thing to 'throw' the viewer.

I'm surprised people don't like television Stannis. He's easily one of my favorites.

Because they're portraying him as weak and whooped.

The Stannis Baratheon from the novels was a cold, no-nonsense strategist who, on a very few occasions, bent certain principles in order to achieve victory.

The Stannis on TV looks like some desperate drunk, stumbling after the red woman like some love-struck fool and openly confessing his insatiable infatuation for her.

Eidan

Because they're portraying him as weak and whooped.

The Stannis Baratheon from the novels was a cold, no-nonsense strategist who, on a very few occasions, bent certain principles in order to achieve victory.

The Stannis on TV looks like some desperate drunk, stumbling after the red woman like some love-struck fool and openly confessing his insatiable infatuation for her.

It feels like your entire assessment of television Stannis is based on last night's scene.

-griffy-

Banned
It feels like your entire assessment of television Stannis is based on last night's scene.

Also, I've always pictured book Stannis as a smart man doing stupid things because of Melisandre. The show still gets that right. I've never cared for Stannis as a character anyways, Davos was always my favorite part of that story.

I think it's more that they flirt with his defining characteristics in the show, but don't dive really deep into them. Non-readers should know him as that dull, non-compromising dickhead who won't shut up about his right to the thrown. Last night he looked like some drunk desperate old guy hitting on a young girl at the bar.

PS- was Mel's actress pregnant this season? Seemed like her costume was fitted to hide something like that.

I think it's more that they flirt with his defining characteristics in the show, but don't dive really deep into them. Non-readers should know him as that dull, non-compromising dickhead who won't shut up about his right to the thrown. Last night he looked like some drunk desperate old guy hitting on a young girl at the bar.

PS- was Mel's actress pregnant this season? Seemed like her costume was fitted to hide something like that.

Yeah, I generally like how they've done Stannis on the show, but last night felt off.

Eidan

I'd venture to say that every Stannis scene on the show has depicted him this way.

Moff

holy shit
that was as cruel as when I read it, or proabably even more. masterfully done, really.
pod didnt bother me, what a harmless joke.

I was warned of the song at the end though, I dont know how I would have reacted if I didnt know about it.

And i really like theons story,
I am not ready to say its handled better in the book, but I am really looking forward to how they reveal this, and how the real ramsay will act. I'm also looking forward do danys future events. I am still sure her story will be much more enjoyable in the show than in the books

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bra-vo! The best episode in a long time. Fantastic.

Random musings:
- Blackfish introduction was great
- They screwed up "Rhaegar fought bravely" line. Totally. I'm glad it was included but it was one of the best lines of the series. Here it's dropped nonchalantly without any weight to it. In the books it was a great WHAM! moment to end a chapter, here the line is completely wasted.
- "Meereenese Knot" har har. They probably filled their nude quota for the last, this and maybe even next episode. Following scene with Tyrion, Bronn and Pod was pretty funny too
- [ADWD]
Ramsay is magnificent.
- ending was A-MA-ZING. Cut to credits was brilliant, almost like something from an oddball dark comedy

PS. Can't book readers really not resist from posting in the other thread? Even if you manage to refrain from posting spoilers, let them be. You're still biased by the books on how you see the show. Let them have their own thread. Additionally, this will reduce accidental spoilers that sometimes get posted there.
I agree on the Rhaegar line, actually. ASOS
It just seemed out of place to deliver it in show context, meaning to both Selmy and Dany rather than just Dany pleating on about how magnificent Rhaegar was. Part of the problem here is that they've spent very little time on Rhaegar (since he was dead before the start) but they probably felt like they had to deliver the line.

Ark

That episode was nigh on perfect. I'm amazed that the last 6 pages I've read have 90% been about the end credits song, I thought it was fine.

So did they actually use the same set for Hot Pie's inn as in episode 2 or 3 or whatever when Ned killed lady and the Hound killed Micah?

AND, is it the same place that Cat captured Tyrion?

AND... were all three incidents the same inn in the books or not? I don't quite remember.

Easily the best episode of the season. Once again I can't stress enough how good looking this show is. I especially liked the shots of Theon galloping through the countryside.

I wished we had a good exterior shot of Riverrun. That's something I've really been looking forward to.

Yeah the whole Theon scene at the end was incredibly well shot.

ifryca2hAu7jI.gif

So good!

I think we can all agree that Benioff should direct future episodes as well, he did a great job.

Hopefully we get to see a good exterior shot of Riverrun in a future episode, it looked great in the opening credits.

------------------

ib23klMkJdYCV3.gif

This was great, immediately after shooting the arrow, he's like "it's good" and just turns and walks away. Blackfish is awesome.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So did they actually use the same set for Hot Pie's inn as in episode 2 or 3 or whatever when Ned killed lady and the Hound killed Micah?

AND, is it the same place that Cat captured Tyrion?

It looks like it yes. As for the second question, I don't think its supposed to be the same place, but it looks like they reused the set and hoped no one would look too closely haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom