• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocks

ASOS
They won't reveal it until after Sansa escapes Kings Landing, just like in the book.

[ASOS]
Based on the episode descriptions revealed and the general flow of the season thus far, that likely won't happen until Season 4, I imagine.

devilhawk

That was a brilliant episode.
I think the things they added (the chair scene, theon running away, the intro to the blackfish and Edmure) were just damned brilliant moves.

The only thing that I don't get is:
- The scene with Robb's wife (that seemed just there to be like "HEY! Don't forget they have Lannisters and Robb's still married!"

- The Pod scene.

Perhaps I'm forgetting about the books but does Pod play a much larger role than I remember him playing? I thought his main deed was done.

Also WTF at that song?
That scene with Jamie had me like "AHHHHHHHHHHHH(credits start)HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!"

ADwD
Remember Pod is strung up right next to Brienne by Stoneheart.

I stay out of it so I don't get tempted to post. Also so I don't accidentally post spoilers thinking I'm in this trhead.

I get filled with rage when I am in that thread and people try to spoil things and try to make it look like speculation. Why do people have the temptation to ruin things for other people? I don't get it.

TCRS

Banned
OH MY FUCKING GOD!!! WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT FUCKING SONG IN THE END?? I WANT TO KILL HIM!!!!!!! SUCH A DRAMATIC END AND THEN THIS SHIT!!

what in the seven hells were they thinking? I can't believe this. Someone has to be fired over this shit. oh my dayyyyyyyyyyss... totally destroyed that feeling and the atmosphere at the end. shock gone in 0.1 seconds.

other than that a good episode. I'm glad they didn't chicken out with Jaimes hand. But where are they going with Theons story?

edit: oh yes, Blackfish! looks just like I imagined him in the books. such a badass mofo.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You're the one who wants the guy cutting off Jaime's hand to say, "thaphireth," but we want to have the dramatic scenes turned into a joke?
Vargo has black humour to him, most of all because Jaime mocks him for his lisp and it's his way of coping with the pain. The song was just stupid, and it wasn't even a good song either.

But whatever, I'm sure fanboys would have defended a stupid song following Ned's execution or
RW
because lulz.

He wants everything done by the book, anything not in the book is more than often derided for being stupid, or a waste of time. Haters gonna hate as they say
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and making this accurate description. (Not. Get lost, please.)

Not surprised that the usual suspects didn't care for it.
*eye-rolling*

I also liked the Pod/Bronn/Tyrion scene. It added some fun levity to the proceedings, and more importantly, added some comraderie to Pod and Tyrion's relationship, something I thought was really needed.
Their relationship isn't defined by camaraderie, though. But even if we want that, it could have been handled in a much better way, one that isn't stupid and doesn't show gratuitous amounts of nudity.

I'm surprised people don't like television Stannis. He's easily one of my favorites.
You're surprised people don't like a whining, pathetic douche?

The Small Council scene with them going for the chairs was pretty funny, Littlefinger dashes for the chair next to Tywin, Cersei pulls a chair up closer, and Tyrion pulls a chair to the opposing end of the table.
I thought Tyrion was gonna bring the chair next to Cersei just to piss her off. Haha. Sitting at the end worked too, though.

That was a brilliant episode.
I think the things they added (the chair scene, theon running away, the intro to the blackfish and Edmure) were just damned brilliant moves.
Blackfish and Edmure at Hoster's funeral is from the book. It's only slightly different in that instead of yanking the bow worldlessly from Edmure, the Blackfish offers to help Edmure, Edmure refuses, then when he misses a third time he gives up and gives the bow to the Blackfish.

The only thing that I don't get is:
- The scene with Robb's wife (that seemed just there to be like "HEY! Don't forget they have Lannisters and Robb's still married!"
It introduced Martyn Lannister and the other kid. ASoS
So we can see he's just a poor young boy and it's gonna be sad when Lord Karstark murders the shit out of him.

I get filled with rage when I am in that thread and people try to spoil things and try to make it look like speculation. Why do people have the temptation to ruin things for other people? I don't get it.
Yeah, I don't get it either, the book readers are so obvious too.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh yeah, I was wondering about something. You know the line where "Locke" (he's still Vargo to me xD) mocks Jaime about how he always invokes his father's name and thinks it's a magic get-out-of-trouble card? I thought it sounded familiar, but I was skimming through some Jaime chapters and couldn't find it. Did that dialogue ring any bell to you book readers too?

Azih

It's really incredible how some watching the TV show can so perfectly predict events that left book readers absolutely flabbergasted.

if they follow the SEASON 3 FINALE SPOILER
red wedding
scene with the benny hill theme in the credits then this will be my show of the year.

Loved this past episode. Lots of good moments. The small council scene with the musical chairs might be one of my favorites of the whole series. So good without a word even being said. Varys' facial expressions were magnificent during that whole scene.

I am curious as to what they're getting at with how they keep driving home how Bran and Rickon are thought to only be missing and not dead. [ACoK/ASoS/ TV show speculation]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall from the books, Theon strung up the burnt bodies of the 2 boys at Winterfell to project power and gave people the idea that Bran and Rickon were dead. In reality they aren't but he doesn't tell anyone this. Only he knew that Rickon and Bran were actually alive (or maybe Asha too?). Then Robb gets this news and tells it to Cat, leading to her releasing Jaime.

Yet in the show, Robb hears from Ramsay that Rickon and Bran are missing, possibly dead. Is there some reason for this? Are they just going to "confirm" Rickon and Bran's deaths to Robb and Cat later for dramatic effect? I'm wondering if maybe Ramsay gets Theon to confess to the truth and then somehow when Ramsay sends the piece of Theon's skin to Robb, they have Ramsay also say that Theon confessed to Rickon and Bran being dead? To bluntly foreshadow Ramsay's treachery?

I'm just guessing they'll try to connect those two storylines somehow, but I don't know how they're going to do it precisely.

Foov

ASOS:
So what are they doing with the Sam the Slayer/dragonglass stuff? Has that just been excised or delayed until later somehow?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ASOS:
So what are they doing with the Sam the Slayer/dragonglass stuff? Has that just been excised or delayed until later somehow?

I hope it's just delayed. It would suck if they cut it, and it wouldn't make sense [ASoS]
since they introduced the dragonglass. Then again, they introduced Ser Dontos and then did nothing with him... so who knows...

Macmanus

I hope it's just delayed. It would suck if they cut it, and it wouldn't make sense [ASoS]
since they introduced the dragonglass. Then again, they introduced Ser Dontos and then did nothing with him... so who knows...

Dontos served as character development for Sansa and Joffrey as far as the show is concerned. I'd be shocked if we don't see more dragon glass and the entire
Sam the Slayer
thing.

Lkr

The problem I see is that the non book readers don't know who the Boltons are, so the lack of knowing any other bannermen will make the
karstark shit so much less dramatic. Like I doubt any of them realize the karstarks were the ones pissed off when Jaime was released

Eidan

Their relationship isn't defined by camaraderie, though. But even if we want that, it could have been handled in a much better way, one that isn't stupid and doesn't show gratuitous amounts of nudity.

It was fun and fit the characters. I don't see what your problem is outside of a knee jerk disdain for any scene with nudity or sexual content that isn't in the books.

Morrigan Targaryen said:
You're surprised people don't like a whining, pathetic douche?

Stannis on the show has been a fairly accurate depiction of the Stannis from the books from what I've seen. It seems like your entire critique of the character's television portrayal is based on last night's scene.

Most enjoyable episode of the season to date. Tully scenes were great, as was Hot Pie's farewell. In fact, I had very few qualms with the episode. My biggest issue was them
moving around when Sam the Slayer happens
, which I assume we'll still get later on, but it feels dumb to mess around with that order.

They did a good job of giving a lot of characters some good material here, and I was really happy to have Littlefinger actually feeling like the character from the books and being subtle and witty, unlike how the TV version usually is.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It was fun and fit the characters. I don't see what your problem is outside of a knee jerk disdain for any scene with nudity or sexual content that isn't in the books.
Yeah, that's why I complained about Tyrion with Ros in the pilot, or Renly with Margaery, or Viserys and Doreah. Again: *rolls eyes*

It's like you can't disagree with someone without attributing motives to them. Amazing. Does it not occur to you that I can simply really just think the scene was stupid filler? Nah, I must have an underlying motive. Of course. Sigh...

Stannis on the show has been a fairly accurate depiction of the Stannis from the books from what I've seen. It seems like your entire critique of the character's television portrayal is based on last night's scene.
Nope. And he's not even close to accurate, he's a totally different person. Stannis the pathetic horndog, Stannis the mindless frontline charger, Stannis the unwitty, inept, humourless prick (he's (or should be) actually pretty damn funny and got tons of good zingers), blah blah blah, TV-Stannis just sucks right now. He has no likeable or redeeming qualities.

The only time Stannis was accurate was his introduction, where he dictates the letter ("A lie! Take it out" and "Add Ser Jaime Lannister the Kingslayer"). The only time I liked him, too. xD Edit: no, wait, I forgot the "fewer" line. That was good. Stannis as a grammar nazi, I totally believe that.

Dysun

He's the insufferable book douche ready to jump at anything that seems slightly off or not as it was depicted in the books, calls out people for liking things he didn't (STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE) and then gets upset when you throw it back at him.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and making this accurate description. (Not. Get lost, please.)
You should follow your own advice

Macmanus

It's like you can't disagree with someone without attributing motives to them. Amazing. Does it not occur to you that I can simply really just think the scene was stupid filler? Nah, I must have an underlying motive. Of course. Sigh...

You're incredibly hyper sensitive and condescending. I'd just relax, man.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
He's the insufferable book douche ready to jump at anything that seems slightly off or not as it was depicted in the books, calls out people for liking things he didn't (STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE) and then gets upset when you throw it back at him.

You should follow your own advice

oh my god, this is like self-parody

You're incredibly hyper sensitive and condescending. I'd just relax, man.
lol, I'm not the one calling people names o_O

ASOS:

ASOS
I'm pretty sure they have just moved Slayer to his journey from Craster's Keep back to the wall. There is simply no way they would just flat out cut that, and there were plenty of shots of a White Walker in dark woods in the trailers.

Eidan

Yeah, that's why I complained about Tyrion with Ros in the pilot, or Renly with Margaery, or Viserys and Doreah. Again: *rolls eyes*

All you said was that the scene was filler and fulfilled a "boob-quota", without explaining why the scene is even filler. So yes, I assumed your issue was just any scene with tits that wasn't written by Martin.

As I've said before, I thought the scene did a great job of strengthening Pod's relationship with Tyrion to the viewer. Series
A relationship that I feel will need to be stronger when Tyrion escapes and Pod goes after him.

Morrigan Targaryen said:
Nope. And he's not even close to accurate, he's a totally different person. Stannis the pathetic horndog, Stannis the mindless frontline charger, Stannis the unwitty, inept, humourless prick (he's (or should be) actually pretty damn funny and got tons of good zingers), blah blah blah, TV-Stannis just sucks right now. He has no likeable or redeeming qualities.

The only time Stannis was accurate was his introduction, where he dictates the letter ("A lie! Take it out" and "Add Ser Jaime Lannister the Kingslayer"). The only time I liked him, too. xD Edit: no, wait, I forgot the "fewer" line. That was good. Stannis as a grammar nazi, I totally believe that.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I honestly feel that every single scene we've had with Stannis has been pretty spot on, and that the actor has been doing an incredible job.

Macmanus

oh my god, this is like self-parody

lol, I'm not the one calling people names o_O

You don't need to call names to be hypersensitive and condescending. Just chill. Its fantasy books and a television series. There are plenty of people acting like jerks up in here, but you seem to be the one constant factor with all the vitriol.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Pod is a sex god scene was good, IMO. Relationship building between those three is fine since I felt it could have been stronger in the books.

edit: What Eidan said.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Would probably do wonders for Morrigan's blood pressure to just stop watching the show.

Would probably do wonders for your... brain? eyes? if you actually read what I write and hopefully assimilate the contents. I was praising the episode. Jesus you guys, learn how to read? I mean okay, I'm used to selective reading, but this is a bit much. o_O

Macmanus, don't want me to be condescending? It's easy: don't misrepresent what I write, and don't attribute motives. It's really that simple. Honestly you're the one who needs to "chill".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

They don't have time to put in all that subtle characterization of Stannis you seem to want. I didn't interpret Stannis's line as him as a "pathetic horndog" anyways, I interpreted it as him being desperate to use her powers to kill his enemies in the same manner as Renly, which is fairly consistent with his character in the books.

As I said earlier, I agree with the sentiment about the song. It was fine to use the song (which I also agree wasn't a particularly good song), but there should have been at least a good 3 seconds of silence to let the event soak in before it started.

i lol'd when littlefinger mentioned the importance of ros. son, nobody cares about that ho

(is ros her name? i'm talking about the redhead who podrick seemed to enjoy watching scrub the floor)

Macmanus

Would probably do wonders for your... brain? eyes? if you actually read what I write and hopefully assimilate the contents. I was praising the episode. Jesus you guys, learn how to read? I mean okay, I'm used to selective reading, but this is a bit much. o_O

Macmanus, don't want me to be condescending? It's easy: don't misrepresent what I write, and don't attribute motives. It's really that simple. Honestly you're the one who needs to "chill".

How have I misrepresented anything you've written? We've never even interacted up until now. Are you losing track of the people you're internet fighting with about fantasy television?

Honest question: How is this guy not banned yet? I got banned for saying I prefer an android tablet over an ipad, and this guy is just acting like a raw dick to everyone that disagrees with him.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Awesome episode, but still a lot of meandering. I think I'm just going to have to get used to it. I haven't read the books, but looking at the perspective character count it only goes up. Having a multitude of plot threads spread across an entire content does not translate to tightly woven cinema. It works far better in literature, due to the amount of exposition the author has control over, and the absence of time restraints.

So unless there's some dramatic turn of events that brings characters together similar to the first season/book, I should just sit comfortable with the sparse narrative and enjoy the otherwise excellent writing and characters.

As a side note, Carice van Houten as Melisandre is so fucking hot. No pun intended. She hits all my buttons.

[ASOS]
Based on the episode descriptions revealed and the general flow of the season thus far, that likely won't happen until Season 4, I imagine.

Very likely
the final episode of the season or at least episode 9
No need to rush that.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They don't have time to put in all that subtle characterization of Stannis you seem to want.
Yet they have time for Pod in the whorehouse? ;)

I didn't interpret Stannis's line as him as a "pathetic horndog" anyways, I interpreted it as him being desperate to use her powers to kill his enemies in the same manner as Renly, which is fairly consistent with his character in the books.
The "pathetic horndog" was a general comment, but I def got that vibe when he begged her for another son. Just the way he inched closer to her looking all desperate was... ugh.

How have I misrepresented anything you've written? We've never even interacted up until now. Are you losing track of the people you're internet fighting with about fantasy television?
Perhaps that was my fault, the "don't misrepresent me" part was not addressed to you specifically, it was a general comment.

Honest question: How is this guy not banned yet? I got banned for saying I prefer an android tablet over an ipad,
I sincerely doubt that was the actual reason. Just sayin'.

and this guy is just acting like a raw dick to everyone that disagrees with him.
Wow, and you say I'm the insensitive one? You want me banned for... this? Come on, get some perspective here. I'm here in this thread to discuss the show. I apparently disagree with many people, and say so, which pisses off many people who have called me all manners of name (you included, now I'm a "raw dick") and have constantly misrepresented me, like those who claim I hate every change ever or hate the show when my recent posts have praised the latest episode, but I haven't insulted anyone. If this is the "Let's praise GoT circle jerk thread", then I'll be happy to admit my mistake and bow out of this thread, but yeah, I think you definitely need to relax and chill yourself.

Also, I don't care much, but I guess I should set the record straight after seeing it so many times, but I'm not a guy. I have a feminine username and avatar, so I don't know how the mistake can happen so often but there you have it. ^^

Edit: sorry for the derail, I'll stop talking about me now. Promise. ^^ Can we all agree on how adorable Missandei was? (And yes, I know she was totally different from the novels, imagine that) Her smirk at Dany's "we are not men" was kinda cheesy, but I liked it.

Eidan

Awesome episode, but still a lot of meandering. I think I'm just going to have to get used to it. I haven't read the books, but looking at the perspective character count it only goes up. Having a multitude of plot threads spread across an entire content does not translate to tightly woven cinema. It works far better in literature, due to the amount of exposition the author has control over, and the absence of time restraints.

So unless there's some dramatic turn of events that brings characters together similar to the first season/book, I should just sit comfortable with the sparse narrative and enjoy the otherwise excellent writing and characters.

As a side note, Carice van Houten as Melisandre is so fucking hot. No pun intended. She hits all my buttons.

Series
My biggest problem with the books. A lot of people discuss ASoIaF's "thousands of characters" as if it's something that should be praised. But those thousands of characters, and hundreds of plots, most with little connection to one another, causes the entire thing to lack of cohesiveness that I think any great story should have. It's the reason why I maintain that AGOT is the best book in the series, as all stories tied or were impacted by the central story of Ned in King's Landing.

the most glaring example of this issue was stannis' scene....what was the point of that exactly? it seemed like his contract required a certain amount of appearances in the season.

this was also the case last season with danaerys in some episodes. and also a major reason why blackwater was the best episode of the series.

when the focus becomes more narrow this show becomes more enjoyable.

woodchuck

Series
My biggest problem with the books. A lot of people discuss ASoIaF's "thousands of characters" as if it's something that should be praised. But those thousands of characters, and hundreds of plots, most with little connection to one another, causes the entire thing to lack of cohesiveness that I think any great story should have. It's the reason why I maintain that AGOT is the best book in the series, as all stories tied or were impacted by the central story of Ned in King's Landing.

series
I agree, but hopefully when all the plotlines eventually come together, it'll be so satisfying

the most glaring example of this issue was stannis' scene....what was the point of that exactly? it seemed like his contract required a certain amount of appearances in the season.

this was also the case last season with danaerys in some episodes. and also a major reason why blackwater was the best episode of the series.

when the focus becomes more narrow this show becomes more enjoyable.

Also the one 3 minute Jon scene we got this episode could have easily been put in episode 2.

Episode 4 preview
And judging by the preview there might not be any Jon scenes next week (unless I missed something).

ibf4RwShY1h2wB.gif

Gvaz

Banned
OH MY FUCKING GOD!!! WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT FUCKING SONG IN THE END?? I WANT TO KILL HIM!!!!!!! SUCH A DRAMATIC END AND THEN THIS SHIT!!

what in the seven hells were they thinking? I can't believe this. Someone has to be fired over this shit. oh my dayyyyyyyyyyss... totally destroyed that feeling and the atmosphere at the end. shock gone in 0.1 seconds.

other than that a good episode. I'm glad they didn't chicken out with Jaimes hand. But where are they going with Theons story?

edit: oh yes, Blackfish! looks just like I imagined him in the books. such a badass mofo.

No one is going to be fired because the D+W themselves wanted that dissonance.

Buh? Why would I enjoy that scene?

You've posted elsewhere about how you were a size queen or something in that regard, so if anything I figured you'd be like "woo that was cool!" instead of disappointed.

Unless I have the wrong gaffer who admitted that, then my apologies

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Also the one 3 minute Jon scene we got this episode could have easily been put in episode 2.

Episode 4 preview
And judging by the preview there might not be any Jon scenes next week (unless I missed something).

They seem afraid to not have any of the "regulars" in every episode, and I think the series would benefit greatly from not caring about that, and caring about the narrative.

Dysun

Wow, and you say I'm the insensitive one? You want me banned for... this? Come on, get some perspective here. I'm here in this thread to discuss the show. I apparently disagree with many people, and say so, which pisses off many people who have called me all manners of name (you included, now I'm a "raw dick") and have constantly misrepresented me, like those who claim I hate every change ever or hate the show when my recent posts have praised the latest episode, but I haven't insulted anyone. If this is the "Let's praise GoT circle jerk thread", then I'll be happy to admit my mistake and bow out of this thread, but yeah, I think you definitely need to relax and chill yourself.

tumblr_m99hb5ApIy1qc7mh1.jpg

But whatever, I'm sure fanboys would have defended a stupid song following Ned's execution or
RW
because lulz.
(Not. Get lost, please.)
*eye-rolling*
Again, I implied no such thing. Some people have asked how deep GRRM's involvement was in the show, and I answered, citing sources. Whatever you choose to read as "implications" is a product of your own imagination. I'd kindly ask that you refrain from attributing to me things I never said, though. That's rude.
Yeah people who disagree with me are RIDICULOUS. God forbid some people dislike having one of the most serious dramatic scenes into a joke. Maybe you'd all be okay with a Blink 182 song following Ned's execution? Cause it's for the lulz

Next time they need to hire Loreena McKennitt. Seriously.
Do tell, o expert
Because it's a) listenable and b) a lot more fitting of the setting?

Can't believe people are defending the use of a crappy pop punk song in Game of Thrones... what's next, Alanis Morrissette singing the end credits of LotR?

This is amusing too, and better than the stupid pop rock song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swfDpFdgOZo

*rolls eyes*

Tyrion's trial was funny and (gasp) improved on the novels. This just wasn't. There's plenty of humour in the source material, but this was just filler. Come on, even the fanboys should admit that much.
Please post a link where I said anything like that. Kthxbai
Nope, try again

It's so cute to see the apologists so thoroughly ignore the "purists"'s acknowledgements of the good changes and hand-wave away every stupid change made by the TV show in the name of "it's an adaptation!!", though. I swear, if they introduce alien robots, you'll have a few people defend it.
Well, I guess you "love" it, I thought it was stupid and nonsensical and only made TV-Catelyn more annoying. *shrugs*

No it doesn't. WTF
Pure crock. it's a stupid motive the fanfic writers made up because they're bad writers.

Enough with all the hand-waving about their shitty decisions with "it's an adaptation!!11" already. Sometimes they adapt it intelligently, sometimes they don't. Robb/Talisa, Catelyn in general, Jon/Qhorin Halfhand, S2 Daenerys, Arya in general, Shae, Ros, they've blundered time and time again with those storylines while they could have easily, without time, budget or visual format restrictions, been more faithful AND been better.

Joke, right?

Again: are you joking?

Complete and utter bollocks. Catelyn has always, always been about her FAMILY first, since day one. Jesus where is this bullshit coming from? Even with the show diminishing her character so badly, even in the show we see it's about her family first and foremost. WTF...

Selective reading indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom