• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
You've posted elsewhere about how you were a size queen or something in that regard, so if anything I figured you'd be like "woo that was cool!" instead of disappointed.

Unless I have the wrong gaffer who admitted that, then my apologies

I was just joking then. lol

exYle

Also, I don't care much, but I guess I should set the record straight after seeing it so many times, but I'm not a guy. I have a feminine username and avatar, so I don't know how the mistake can happen so often but there you have it. ^^

On the internet, nobody knows you're a Targaryen

Also if everybody who had a feminine avatar was a girl, we'd have a lot more girls 'round here

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
A nice theory someone else told me last night: ASOS
Sam rescues Gillys baby from a white walker by stabbing it with obsidian, it adds drama and catches up with the book where Commander Mormont says The Wall wasn't built to keep out wildlings.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sam rescues Gillys baby from a white walker by stabbing it with obsidian, it adds drama and catches up with the book where Commander Mormont says The Wall wasn't built to keep out wildlings.

That seems very possible.

ZeroRay

I'm liking this season more than season 2 already. My main complaint so far is one that Jett bought up in that every male role is so damn samey compared to the books; Mance is just another old fart who's slightly cheerier than the other old farts.

Could be. Though I'm guessing the
ensuing chaos that happens afterward would still be the same considering how some of the night's watchmen were looking at Craster's daughters.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
On the internet, nobody knows you're a Targaryen
:D
I registered as Morrigan Stark initially, but that account never got approved for some reason. :(

Also if everybody who had a feminine avatar was a girl, we'd have a lot more girls 'round here
I understand, but both the name and avatar should be a giveaway, or at least a hint. Not that I really care, though.

Ah! Someone posted what I wanted. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPA0BmlNd20

Too bad it's so short. :( I wish they had kept a version like this one.

Zeliard

Awesome episode, but still a lot of meandering. I think I'm just going to have to get used to it. I haven't read the books, but looking at the perspective character count it only goes up. Having a multitude of plot threads spread across an entire content does not translate to tightly woven cinema. It works far better in literature, due to the amount of exposition the author has control over, and the absence of time restraints.

I think this is the single biggest problem with the show, and specifically in adapting such a massively detailed series. You inevitably will have a lot of characters getting the short shrift, and it can create wonky pacing or confusion due to lack of clarity.

Since the ensemble is so massive, and the producers have to deal with the logistical realities of shooting schedules and episode/season lengths, you're going to have a lot of cases where you only get a couple of minutes' worth of some otherwise critical character (if they even appear in the episode at all).

I'd prefer they give us real focused episodes. A Jaime episode, a Robb episode, a Tyrion episode etc.

The book is already structured this way.

I don't think that would work, given the popularity of characters and the 10 episode limit. A better idea would be to focus on regions, to some degree. So if last night just focused on the north (Robb, Arya, Jon, Night's Watch), and Dany; cut Theon's scenes for later in the season, cut King's Landing, cut Dragonstone. Jon's story has seen very little focus so far this season, and certainly could have used the extra time given to Pod and Tyrion for instance.

There also need to be more scenes that tie things together to a degree. Tywin is at war with Robb for instance, more scenes of them strategizing might help to connect things for viewers.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Finished ACoK earlier this week, debating what to do now. What to prioritize. Damnit. The ending of this week's episode left me with an awesome "oh shit" face for a while.

Zeliard

I don't think that would work, given the popularity of characters and the 10 episode limit. A better idea would be to focus on regions, to some degree. So if last night just focused on the north (Robb, Arya, Jon, Night's Watch), and Dany; cut Theon's scenes for later in the season, cut King's Landing, cut Dragonstone. Jon's story has seen very little focus so far this season, and certainly could have used the extra time given to Pod and Tyrion for instance.

This seems like a better alternative to whatever it is they're doing now.

exYle

The copious use of smilies didn't give it away? You know how the old saying goes...

;)

Well, that implies that there is a masculine and a feminine way of typing, which I don't necessarily believe. It would mean that my good friend's girlfriend writes manlier than my friend.

Y'know what I mean? =) =D =( =P =/ ಠ_ಠ T_T

There also need to be more scenes that tie things together to a degree. Tywin is at war with Robb for instance, more scenes of them strategizing might help to connect things for viewers.

ENTIRE SERIES SPOILERS
Do you guys think we're done seeing Mance this season? Assuming next time we see Jon he's headed off to the Wall with Tormund (not really liking this change, but maybe it will give them time to do the character some justice) and Ygritte, Mance is out until the battle at the Wall (unless they add some scenes with just him). My guess is this season will end with Jon escaping the Wildlings and then maybe the a fight against them at Castle Black. If so he's kind of getting the Halfhand treatment which is sad. But I guess at least with Mance there will be more time in the future.

cj_iwakura

So no one has any idea about Stannis' daughter?

Also, [ASOS]
I thought Daenerys taking the slaves and torching Astapor would be the season finale. If that happens in 4, and TRW in 9, what the heck is going to top that?

Stoneheart?

ENTIRE SERIES SPOILERS
Do you guys think we're done seeing Mance this season? Assuming next time we see Jon he's headed off to the Wall with Tormund (not really liking this change, but maybe it will give them time to do the character some justice) and Ygritte, Mance is out until the battle at the Wall (unless they add some scenes with just him). My guess is this season will end with Jon escaping the Wildlings and then maybe the a fight against them at Castle Black. If so he's kind of getting the Halfhand treatment which is sad. But I guess at least with Mance there will be more time in the future.

I get that impression as well, which is a shame because he's such a good character. There was a lot of potential for Mance, especially when I heard Hinds was cast; I figured the role would be expanded to justify such a casting. But so far he's been on screen for about 7 minutes and hasn't done much of anything. I figured we'd see some scenes of Jon getting to know his new brothers, being accepted by Tormund, discussing the Night's Watch idealogy with Mance, etc.. Nope, more prostitute scenes.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So no one has any idea about Stannis' daughter?

Also, [ASOS]
I thought Daenerys taking the slaves and torching Astapor would be the season finale. If that happens in 4, and TRW in 9, what the heck is going to top that?

Stoneheart?

ASOS
Astapor will probably be sacked in the next 2 or 3 episodes. I too thought it would make a great season finale, but unless they're going to have Danny do nothing for the next 7 weeks, they're going to have to move on. Now I'm guessing Danny's arc ends with the Siege of Meereen either when she sends Jorah and Selmey into the sewers, or afterwards when Jorah is banished.

jett

D-Member
I'd prefer they give us real focused episodes. A Jaime episode, a Robb episode, a Tyrion episode etc.

The book is already structured this way.

I agree that the way the show is structured doesn't do anybody any favors. Dedicating a few minutes to eight different and mostly disconnected plotlines each week is no good. You truncate whatever character development there is supposed to be.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I agree that the way the show is structured doesn't do anybody any favors. Dedicating a few minutes to eight different and mostly disconnected plotlines each week is no good. You truncate whatever character development there is supposed to be.

Somewhere in-between would be best. Don't be afraid to do an episode occasionally without Tyrion, or without Jamie, etc. You have your fans. They will deal with not having their favorite character in every episode.

I agree that the way the show is structured doesn't do anybody any favors. Dedicating a few minutes to eight different and mostly disconnected plotlines each week is moronic.

It's also why so many people complain that episodes are so short. If you're a huge Arya fan and are getting 8 minutes of her a week than yea, it's short to you. That feeling is only going to become more prominent assuming the writing strategy doesn't change, and I do wonder how long this show can hold people's interest if 3-5 episodes a season are seen as "nothing happening" (a notion I don't agree with, but many people seem to have).

Snake

I want to believe.

-griffy-

Banned
Somewhere in-between would be best. Don't be afraid to do an episode occasionally without Tyrion, or without Jamie, etc. You have your fans. They will deal with not having their favorite character in every episode.
That's more or less what this season has been so far. Half the characters weren't in episode 1, the other half weren't in episode 2. But there is so much content, and production schedules are so demanding that it's literally unavoidable for the show to be the way it is unless they radically changed it. And they couldn't focus on only a small group of characters every episode without introducing unneeded timeline confusion or further changing the story. They really can't do this specific story in this format another way.

jett

D-Member
DrForester said:

It's also why so many people complain that episodes are so short. If you're a huge Arya fan and are getting 8 minutes of her a week than yea, it's short to you. That feeling is only going to become more prominent assuming the writing strategy doesn't change, and I do wonder how long this show can hold people's interest if 3-5 episodes a season are seen as "nothing happening" (a notion I don't agree with, but many people seem to have).

Yes, somewhere in between would be good. Since S2 the show hasn't had much rhyme or reason for me. It's one of the most unfocused things I've seen. You could say the same about the books but it doesn't really feel that way when reading them. :p The real problem is that the writers are screwed and don't really know what's "safe" to cut. In the best possible scenario they'd know exactly what's going to happen throughout the whole story. There are POV characters in the books that have amounted to nothing of importance so far.

Fuuuuuuuuuck! I can't believe Jamie
got his hand cut off!
This show is terrible.

Not sure if I should spoiler tag since it aired yesterday but I did anyway.

daripad

Guys, people from here should stop posting spoilers or "speculations" in the other thread. If you really want to spoil the story to someone, just pm them and have fun. You are not letting people enjoy what we already have enjoyed.

P44

I only go read the other thread to get some sort of weird enjoyment out of reading 500 predictions and reactions, most of which are incorrect. I don't know why, its just sort of fun. Can't help but grin at half the posts.

Zeliard

This thread is more comfortable for people who didn't read the books, tbh. Other one's a mess of shady "speculation" and people who have outright admitted they've already been spoiled, yet see no problem with continuing to post in the thread.

RaidenZR

That's fine but don't get offended because people aren't interested.

I spoke plainly in my post. That wasn't what I said I was offended by, but I don't feel like those of us who have some negative comments should not have to edit or censor ourselves (other than spoiler-barring when appropriate).

And people do seem interested. There's more evidence that there is interest in comparison discussion, judging by the amount of black barred text on some of these pages. That's not to say I want to see a wall of black either, because that limits who can participate... but this is the appropriate thread for that sort of thing.

Anyways, getting back on topic:

Wonder how much more of Riverrun we're going to get to see. I really liked the Tully armor with the fish scales and sigils stuff sprinkled everywhere. They always do a pretty good job with the house armor and costuming adornments. I also really like how Daenerys is standing out in her scenes in that bright blue dress. It pushes her to the front of every single scene, in a positive way. Plus, it's very aesthetically pleasing all around, and I don't just mean it in the way everyone else means it when bringing up Emilia Clarke (but there is that too).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This thread is more comfortable for people who didn't read the books, tbh. Other one's a mess of shady "speculation" and people who have outright admitted they've already been spoiled, yet see no problem with continuing to post in the thread.

If you notice anything shady going on, you should pm a mod with the details.

Regarding the Great Closing Credit Song Dispute of 2013, they should have used the full acapella version of the Bolton men singing it on horseback. Would have still had the jarring change of tone they were looking for, been sung by the guys that just maimed Jaime, and called back to earlier in the episode.

Eidan

I disagree. While there certainly are some minor characters who have little impact or relevance to the story, overall ASOIAF has a clear narrative spread across a handful of arcs to me; by the third book it's largely a giant war being fought on multiple fronts, with the Wall and Dany mixed in. The show suffers more because they haven't found a great way to juggle the storylines per episode, which leads to an almost clip show feel at times. S1/GoT certainly worked better because of the central story, but even that season/book featured the northern arcs plus Dany's arc which had little connection to it.

Last night there was a mixing of every storyline except Bran's: southern (King's Landing), northern (Jon, Night's Watch, Arya, Theon), Essos (Dany), the Riverlands (Robb/Catelyn), and Dragonstone scenes. It wasn't a bad episode but would have been more focused if it didn't feature Dragonstone, Theon, and perhaps even King's Landing.

Though the main narrative of the series has been the War of the Five Kings, with the Night Watch's war with wildings and Others, and Dany's rise in the East being secondary plots that are just now beginning to thread into the main one, the individual stories being told simply aren't connected enough to make a truly compelling story for me.

For all the talk of the show being a glorified clip show, I think it's fair to say the books are exactly the same. Sam's story is entirely disconnected from Sansa's, which is entirely disconnected from Arya's which is entirely disconnected from Bran's, which is entirely disconnected from Jaime's, and so on and so forth. The sheer glut of characters and arcs involved in the series just make the entire thing feel bloated, and I honestly don't think there's much the show can do to hide this. In the end, Game of Thrones is a a show with too many characters and too many loosely related plots because A Song of Ice and Fire is a series with too many characters and too many loosely related plots.

Angry Fork

Based on regions is a good idea imo. Then towards the end they start to converge and shit goes down.

I don't mind how the show is now though it still entertains me, I get why they have to spend little time here and there in order to fit everything in. I don't feel like the quality is affected that much, although I would love to see more of my favorite characters.

I just started reading AFFC and I've really gotten into the story now. I really didn't care for the previous book, but now its focused on characters I enjoy reading about.

AFFC
Cersei has gone full on crazy. Her paranoia and rage and seeing her act without restraint is fun. Brienne has come into her own and her time with Jaimie has done both of their characters a lot of good. Jaimies not quite as scummy as he used to be so I enjoy his parts more. Sansa isn't a battered wife anymore. Shes able to have emotions other than dredd and misery.

I think Arya is my favorite though. I got excited when she bumped into Sam on the docks. I think its the first time the Stark children have interacted with the larger world since their separation. I hope we see more of her and sam.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I just started reading AFFC and I've really gotten into the story now. I really didn't care for the previous book, but now its focused on characters I enjoy reading about.

AFFC
Cersei has gone full on crazy. Her paranoia and rage and seeing her act without restraint is fun. Brienne has come into her own and her time with Jaimie has done both of their characters a lot of good. Jaimies not quite as scummy as he used to be so I enjoy his parts more. Sansa isn't a battered wife anymore. Shes able to have emotions other than dredd and misery.

I think Arya is my favorite though. I got excited when she bumped into Sam on the docks. I think its the first time the Stark children have interacted with the larger world since their separation. I hope we see more of her and sam.

I'm about 75% through AFFC. I'm going with the audiobook, and my only complaint is Roy Dotrice forgot how some characters sounded in the previous books he voiced (apparently there was a long gap between his recordings for ASOS and AFFC). For example, Littlefinger sounds very young and scheming in the first 3, and now he sounds very gritty.
And yes, Cersei's apparently going down in a ball of flames, and it's very enjoyable to watch. Some of the side stories are getting to be a bit much, I just hope they pay off in the end (stuff in the Iron Islands and in Dorne) is worth all these new players being introduced. I have liked the adventures of Brienne. I also love the immediate swaps from Cersei to Jamie chapters.

I find myself struggling to care about Sansa's story though. The part with Sam and Arya was neat, but I really don't expect more. I found the encounter to not be about Sam at all, but all about a small bit of development with Arya, namely that she resisted asking about The Wall. Even in passing, I'm surprised she didn't try to get some information about Jon out of Sam. I'm more looking forward to Sam getting to confront his father, when/if he makes it to Horn Hill and Old Town.

exYle

Though the main narrative of the series has been the War of the Five Kings, with the Night Watch's war with wildings and Others, and Dany's rise in the East being secondary plots that are just now beginning to thread into the main one, the individual stories being told simply aren't connected enough to make a truly compelling story for me.

For all the talk of the show being a glorified clip show, I think it's fair to say the books are exactly the same. Sam's story is entirely disconnected from Sansa's, which is entirely disconnected from Arya's which is entirely disconnected from Bran's, which is entirely disconnected from Jaime's, and so on and so forth. The sheer glut of characters and arcs involved in the series just make the entire thing feel bloated, and I honestly don't think there's much the show can do to hide this. In the end, Game of Thrones is a a show with too many characters and too many loosely related plots because A Song of Ice and Fire is a series with too many characters and too many loosely related plots.

Erm...

You didn't like ASoS? Who doesn't like ASoS?

GhaleonEB

You didn't like ASoS? Who doesn't like ASoS?

I'm just wrapping it up, but I didn't like most of it. The last couple hundred pages have redeemed it a ways, but I had written off reading the rest of the series at the halfway mark. Now I'm debating continuing vs. just following the show. Not sure which yet.

I'm starting season 2 of the show next week, as I'd planned to stay one book ahead of the show. It's been fun to read reactions from those not familiar with the books in these threads.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm just wrapping it up, but I didn't like most of it. The last couple hundred pages have redeemed it a ways, but I had written off reading the rest of the series at the halfway mark. Now I'm debating continuing vs. just following the show. Not sure which yet.

I'm starting season 2 of the show next week, as I'd planned to stay one book ahead of the show. It's been fun to read reactions from those not following the books in these threads.

It took me a while to start AFFC after ASOS. Mostly because I heard about the downgrade after ASOS. Almost being done though, I am glad I kept going. I look forward to finishing ADWD and going into the main book thread for discussion.

exYle

How come?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom