• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games of August: August is shaping up to be a good month

PS2
281104b.jpg
281099b.jpg
280988b.jpg

281016b.jpg
831549b.jpg
B281036Ab.jpg

280995b.jpg
281062bm.jpg
280912b.jpg

280553b.jpg

+ Hydrothunder/Rush2049

PC
644930b.jpg

GC
220253bm.jpg
244783-mock.jpg
220368b.jpg

Xbox
210657b.jpg
210626b.jpg

Finally the summer drought is over. Lots of games to choose from again. :)

Alcibiades

Pikmin 2 is basically going to own all (except maybe Doom 3 & Madden '05)...

Still, I consider Pikmin 2 a September release, since that's when stores will start selling it...

The only game I'm getting for sure is Doom 3. I might get Phantom Brave if I finish playing Front Mission 4 by then.

Is Pikmin 2 really that good? That one's sort of low on my radar.

AniHawk

Teh fuck? Another PSO for the GC?

EDIT: Oh, it's PSOEI&II+. $30 doesn't sound so bad for it, but I'll prolly still skip it.

Anyway...

220368b.jpg
831549b.jpg

They will be mine. Oh yes, they well be mine.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Crazymoogle said:
281099b.jpg

August is the japanese release date, right?

(Still hoping for SO3 HDD support)

No, I think it comes out in the USA in August
Japan already saw these titles released seperatly I think

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Grizzly will be buying:

Phantom Brave
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Viewtiful Joe (PS2)
Spy Fiction

Grizzly is thinking about also buying:

Pikmin 2
Star Ocean Till the End of Time
GhostHunter

Grizzly is almost thinking about considering possibly getting:

Hot Shots Golf Fore!
Astro Boy

The only reason I'm not sure about Pikmin 2 is because I haven't played the first game. I might want to pick that up first and then get Pikmin 2 as the price drops. Because I know I wont be able to play Pikmin 2 and then go back to Pikmin 1, I hate stepping backwards like that and rarely enjoy the first game at all that way.

Not being on the Star Ocean Till the End of Time boat is simply a time issue, Phantom Brave and Star Ocean 3 come out on the SAME DAY. There is no way I will be able to enjoy the horrible deep gameplay of Phantom Brave (if Disgaea is any indication) and even touch Star Ocean 3. PB is just more important to me, maybe if Square-Enix had released this baby last year they would have gotten my $49.99 right away, but now they have to wait. I'm glad they included all the Director's Cut extras though, that kinda makes up for the delay in my eyes, but the timing is just bad for strategy rpg fans.

Alcibiades

seismologist said:
Is Pikmin 2 really that good? That one's sort of low on my radar.

Pikmin 2 got great reviews in Japan and showed great legs in that territory (outselling Vice City even), and is highly anticipated here in the states as well. Basically, it kickstarts Nintendo's holiday lineup...

AniHawk

Grizzlyjin said:
The only reason I'm not sure about Pikmin 2 is because I haven't played the first game. I might want to pick that up first and then get Pikmin 2 as the price drops. Because I know I wont be able to play Pikmin 2 and then go back to Pikmin 1, I hate stepping backwards like that and rarely enjoy the first game at all that way.

The way I understand it, there's no day limit in Pikmin 2. In Pikmin, you had 30 days to get off the planet with at least a partial amount of the things you need. This forced the player to find the best strategies to getting everything they needed to in the time limit (you could replay a day once one was done, and visit previous areas).

Pikmin 2 has more Pikmin types and game modes though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
AniHawk said:
The way I understand it, there's no day limit in Pikmin 2. In Pikmin, you had 30 days to get off the planet with at least a partial amount of the things you need. This forced the player to find the best strategies to getting everything they needed to in the time limit (you could replay a day once one was done, and visit previous areas).

Pikmin 2 has more Pikmin types and game modes though.

So your saying that I should just get Pikmin 2 and not even look back.

cvxfreak

I own the Japanese Pikmin 2 and love it. But basically my game next month will be Street Fighter Anniversary Collection.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Too much stuff is coming out this year. Damn me for not having money.

Phantom Brave and Star Ocean are on my short list. I may or may not get the Street Fighter Collection. I'll probably wait for Pikmin 2 to drop in price (or convince my sister to buy it). Doom III can wait until some crazy sale or something (or so I say now, though I'll probably just pick it up next week anyway).

thom

I'm waiting for SF:AC on xbox only for the live play.

Does anybody know for sure if GhostHunter is decent?

NotMSRP

Phantom Brave & Phantasy Star Trilogy are my first priority since it'll be the first to disappear from shelves. The rest will still be there.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Im getting Star ocean 3 and Pikmin 2 for sure, but whats the word on Phantom Brave? I missed on Disgea and la pucelle, is it in the same vein & is it better?

Scott

So far only the original Phantasy Star remake has been released in Japan, and as far as I know, the other two titles (II & IV) don't even have release dates yet. So, I think it's safe to say there's absolutely no chance of the Trilogy making it out this year, sorry.

Anyway, I'll be picking up Phantom Brave, Phantasy Star Online: Episodes I & II: PLUS, and Star Ocean: 'Till the End of Time. August rocks. :)

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
efralope said:
Pikmin 2 is basically going to own all (except maybe Doom 3 & Madden '05)...
Tohohoho.

If you aren't a football man then I'm not sure there's one must-buy for all gamers, regardless of tastes. Viewtiful Joe PS2 and Astro Boy GBA comes closest, I'd say. Astro Boy PS2 blows and I have mixed feelings about Galleon (playing through it right now).

nitewulf

SO3, astro boy ps2 (pending reviews), PS trilogy and phantom brave (later on, let me get to disgaea first) for me.

edit: and kingdom under fire actually, but after it drops to 20.

john tv

Random notes:

1. PS2 Astro Boy sucks

2. My grandmother could've designed a better PS Trilogy logo with crayons (nice effort there, is that a stock MS Word font for "Trilogy"?). Why do so many American companies have such crap design sensibilities?

3. There's no way PS Trilogy will be out in August, in Japan OR the US

Volt

Even without PS Trilogy, it's a great month for PS2 owners in the US (I'm neither) !
My pick would probably be Kingdom Under Fire though, are there any lengthy impressions about this game yet ? Is it as good as the trailers etc. make it out to be ?

Socreges

Banned
nitewulf said:
SO3, astro boy ps2 (pending reviews), PS trilogy and phantom brave (later on, let me get to disgaea first) for me.

edit: and kingdom under fire actually, but after it drops to 20.
Nice to see you're back on the horse, nitewulf. :p

wazoo

Infinitemadness said:
Isnt Galleon scoring great reviews in Europe? If so, good for Toby

No, reviews are bad (except CVG) and the sales are very bad. Confounding Factor has already closed its shop due to the Euro sales.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
wazoo said:
No, reviews are bad (except CVG) and the sales are very bad. Confounding Factor has already closed its shop due to the Euro sales.

Reviews are decent, not bad.

Anyways, I'm going to limit myself this month in order to prepare for the upcoming onslaught (which seemingly starts now!).

I'm grabbing Doom 3 and Star Ocean 3 for sure. I MIGHT consider Ghost Hunter and Pikmin 2 (both of which I will eventually play).

Volt

So is Star Ocean 3 any good ? I'm currently playing through "2nd Story" and it's really boring IMO.. It doesn't feel like an interactive experience most of the times. I guess the battles are kinda cool, but with sooooo many story events it's more like watching a digital movie instead of playing a game..

dark10x

Volt said:
So is Star Ocean 3 any good ? I'm currently playing through "2nd Story" and it's really boring IMO.. It doesn't feel like an interactive experience most of the times. I guess the battles are kinda cool, but with sooooo many story events it's more like watching a digital movie instead of playing a game..

Exactly which RPGs have you previously played?

Solid

As I live in Europe Riddick is the only game I'll get in August. Maybe KOTOR too. But I need to find it cheap :B

Volt

dark10x said:
Exactly which RPGs have you previously played?

Everything starting with Phantasy Star and Miracle Warriors (Master System) :D
FF series, Suikoden 1, Chrono Trigger, Lunar serieus, Earthbound, Breath Of Fire series (don't particulary like them though), Phantasy Star series, etc

I guess the thing that bothers me the most about "2nd Story" is how sloooow it is with it's dialogue and the way a speech bubble pops up above the characters' head before just about every single sentence ("...", " ! ", " ? ")... it's just not going anywhere, although I'm admittedly only two hours in so far and I'm not writing the game off just yet ! :)
Just wondering whether SO 3 changed a lot about the game (ie adding cut scenes, voice acting, less nonsense about Talents like Cooking and Alchemy etc.. )

dark10x

although I'm admittedly only two hours in so far and I'm not writing the game off just yet !

Well, for a Japanese style RPG, SO2 is rather verbose at times...

The amount of dialog cools down somewhat as you proceed. Star Ocean 1 was not nearly as bad in this regard, though it still had its fair share of dialog. I have yet to see much SO3, but the cutscenes are delivered in a different fashion (very similar to Tales of Symphonia, at least early on). I dunno if you'll like it or not, to tell you the truth.

You'll find people here that loved the game as well as those that hated it. However, most of those people have only played the original release and not the upgraded directors cut (which made some improvements to the core gameplay systems). Just wait and see. :)

Volt

dark10x said:
Well, for a Japanese style RPG, SO2 is rather verbose at times...

The amount of dialog cools down somewhat as you proceed. Star Ocean 1 was not nearly as bad in this regard, though it still had its fair share of dialog. I have yet to see much SO3, but the cutscenes are delivered in a different fashion (very similar to Tales of Symphonia, at least early on). I dunno if you'll like it or not, to tell you the truth.

Well, I don't own a PS2 yet, so for now I'll just figure out whether I actually even like the Star Ocean series :) It is kinda verbose indeed, but the main problem is that the dialogue is very clichéd (and comes with British vernacular like "Blimey !" and "Mum"), and it's slowing down the whole game. I'm getting Tales of Symphonia in a couple of days and I figure I'll like that much more.. thanks for the info anyway, quess I'll just spend a couple more hours on Star Ocean 2 to find out whether I should bother with it or just sell it..

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
280553b.jpg

281099b.jpg

Guaranteed to be the 2 best games EVER in my opinion. Considering right now my 2 favorite games of all time are Star Ocean 2 and Phantasy Star 2.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I imported Astro Boy for PS2 when it came out. Graphically it's a little poor but I quite like the way it plays... I certainly would not say it sucks, although the GBA game is much better.

Top Bottom