• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with absolutely stupid and/or ridiculous names?

zma1013

Half Life 2: Episode 1 & 2

Isn't Half Life 2 the first episode? These expansions should have started with ep1 being called ep2.

nOoblet16

Ínfinite Undiscovery
Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance

Undiscovery and Revengeance aren't words and don't make sense. You can't 'un'discover anything, and why would you enact vengeance a second time?

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

This is just a very silly name for a very silly game.
Because the first attempt failed i.e. when Kojima Productions were trying to make the game and could figure out what to do, it's why the game got called Revengeance, one of the developers mentioned it once.

Yeah caused me to miss the game at first as well.

Though it works better as "The Line".

Spec Ops seems like something the publisher forced onto it so it would sell.
It's because Spec Ops is a pre existing series. It's like complaining the Warhammer Space Marine to be generic because it has the name Space Marine in it, but name was established a long time ago and it's the original.

I can't believe it took 16 replies before someone mentioned Revengeance! Not only is the word itself almost as dumb as "Irregardless," but it also has the connection to the KKK.

It's a word that existed long before the KKK. IGN was definitely fishing for hits with that one. In fact, just a quick Google search reveals a citation from Websters 1913 edition with the word and its meaning. The word is perfectly fine and has no connection to the KKK bar that single use, they neither coined it nor have any right over the word.

Glowsquid

Gunforce Battle Fire Engulfed Terror Island

This thread reminded me Seanbaby had written a gut-busting article on games with stupid names. Wish it was still online.

Nuts_%26_Milk_(J)_-!--0.png

vgamer1

Not stupid, but definitely ridiculous:

The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

REVENGEANCE

Or Bloodborne. Great name, but why the extra E at the end?
edit: Never mind Bloodborne, apparently borne means something completely different.

Per webster- Borne- transported or transmitted by —used in combination <soilborne> <airborne>

Bloodborne actuallly makes a ton of sense in that context. It never meant born in blood (like many people think). If you follow the story the world is trapped in a blood borne sickness.

Naked Lunch

DoDonPachi springs to mind. Especially when Im trying to tell someone verbally what I am playing. I usually just opt for "crazy Japanese spaceship game with bullets everywhere".

- Infinite Undiscovery
- Xenosaga 1-3, due to their overly fancy subtitles
- Any game name that substitutes a number for a letter in the middle of the word in a lame attempt to seem "extreme".

This!

goat_simulator_logo_0.jpg

This is so - stupid to me! It's not a simulator - of any kind. I'd like to wager that inebriation contributes to titles/games like this.

I haven't played it, but I think the entire point of the game, including its name, is to be silly and stupid. So I don't mind the name.

The weird title (and subtitle) both have meanings in-game and explain why they are like that, but it doesn't change the fact they are weird.

for the record,
to 'bravely default' means to 'have the courage to turn your back on your responsibilities' - 'default' here having the same meaning as if you default on a loan.
and
"Flying Fairy" and "Where the fairy flies" are designed so that if you take letters off you're left with "Lying Airy" and "Airy lies"

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa

I'm just about to that point, but holy cow. Didn't realize that haha.

Yep. F.3.A.R is pretty bad.

I insist on always pronouncing the names of games that do that in exactly the way they are spelt. "Ah, you want to purchase Driv-Three-R?". Managed to really piss off a marketing guy from Ubisoft with that one many years ago.

And yes, I'm totally nominating Driv3r for an all time terrible title.

I insist on always pronouncing the names of games that do that in exactly the way they are spelt. "Ah, you want to purchase Driv-Three-R?". Managed to really piss off a marketing guy from Ubisoft with that one many years ago.

And yes, I'm totally nominating Driv3r for an all time terrible title.

I can't read this and not think of Tracey Jordan from 30 Rock talking about his movie Five Now Dog Five in reference to 5now Dog5, or Snow Dogs 5 as it's actually supposed to be said.

Dryk

I just started playing Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword, but being in Australia I get stuck with the EU title Hana Samurai: Art of the Sword. Your sword is called the Sakura (cherry blossom) Sword and your hearts are cherry blossom petals. It makes sense that the main character and the game are called Sakura Samurai. "hana" means flower, so it still makes sense, but Nintendo of Europe went out of their way to make the title make less sense. WHY?

I thought it was kind of lame at first too. And it still kind of is. But I get it. It's wordplay. "For" can be swapped with "Four" because it's Super Smash Bros. 4 for 3DS and Super Smash Bros. 4 for Wii U.
Yeah when I realised that it went from awful to mediocre. I appreciate what they're going for but I don't think it's worth it.

"BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien" love the game but holy shit the name.
I love games that go all out on the name silliness like Runner 2 and AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary

acAgyaH.jpg

Why? because htoL#NiQ is an stylized verision of the Japanese name Hotaru no Nikki (&#12507;&#12479;&#12523;&#12494;&#12491;&#12483;&#12461;) and what does that means? "Firefly Diary", it purely redundant and makes the game hard to find on online searches
One copy of Hotel Nick please.

Hell, "Resident Evil" in general just kinda blows. To me, I think I only like the way it sounds because I've heard it so many times that it no longer sounds weird.

Yea Resident Evil took a long time for me to wrap my head around. But it actually makes sense.

Like if you say "That's our Resident crazy guy"

In this sense its "Thats our Resident evil" (referring to zombie/mutant/mutantzombie infestation)

Hektor

The lord of the rings: Battle for middle earth 2: The witch king

or in german:

Der Herr der Ringe. Die Schlacht um Mittelerde II: Der Aufstieg des Hexenkönig.
(Rise of the witchking)

It's just far too long.

Altazor

The lord of the rings: Battle for middle earth 2: The witch king

or in german:

Der Herr der Ringe. Die Schlacht um Mittelerde II: Der Aufstieg des Hexenkönig.
(Rise of the witchking)

It's just far too long.

The Rise of the Witch King*

OH GOD IT'S EVEN LONGER

league of legends for one obvious reason

Those dragon ball or naruto fighting games, they have super stupid extremely long names

"NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 3 Full Burst" yeah fuck you too
"Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi" what ?

To those complaining about F3AR, at least we avoided FE4R :)
edit : or did we. damn.

New Super Mario Bros Wii. New Super Mario Bros U. New Super Mario Bros 3D.

Super Mario Bros 3D World?

I never know when to drop the New. Maybe that's just me, but I find myself stumbling through the names often.

New Super Mario Bros Wii. New Super Mario Bros U. New Super Mario Bros 3D.

Super Mario Bros 3D World?

I never know when to drop the New. Maybe that's just me, but I find myself stumbling through the names often.

Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze
It actually doesn't have "Returns" but I always assumed it was since it came after DKCR

Top Bottom