• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with absolutely stupid and/or ridiculous names?

donny2112

Surprised there's no "Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure," yet.

84489_front.jpg

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Project Cars.

Sounds like a mod or a code name for an unreleased game.

Cyberpunk also doesn't make much sense as an actual title.

KDR_11k

Dangerous

It's basically Eve Offline and pretty legit despite the overabundance of bought assets but that name...

Bad names come in the two varieties mundane/impossible to search (cf. Enemy, 4089, Zombies*, ...) and garbled nonsense. Japan is the king of the latter since they seem to pick English names by randomly throwing words together that sound kinda cool. See also all games inspired by Warning Forever (Infinity Danger, Captain Forever, etc).

*=Renamed to corporate lifestyle simulator for that reason.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Spec_Ops_The_Line_cover.png

Seriously, the title alone made me completely disregard the game for years, until the constant praise from GAF eventually led me to pick it up.

Yeah caused me to miss the game at first as well.

Though it works better as "The Line".

Spec Ops seems like something the publisher forced onto it so it would sell.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Atelier games and FF games are up there for me. SOmetimes I wonder if they make sense in Japanese and they are just poorly translated names.

Vlade

SE and all but

Bravely Default???

I like the game but the title still makes me think i'm flagrantly not paying my mortgage.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam is kinda silly. They could have called it Mobile Suit Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam or something.

SD Gundam: Emotional Jam is also dumb. It sounds more like a dating sim than a strategy RPG.

Altazor

"Star Wars: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy"

not its actual title, but it would be.

Noobcraft

I might catch some flack for it, but I don't like game names with two words combined.
Driveclub
Killzone
Titanfall
Minecraft

People not understanding what Resident Evil means is blowing my mind. Resident means to be present somewhere for a prolonged period of time. As a verb it is residing. Resident Evil means a deeply-rooted evil presence.

You people are killing me.

joecanada

Because it's referring to borne, not born. Bloodborne means something carried by blood, not something born of blood. Like a Waterborne disease. Borne has a different meaning than born.

I kept tying bloodbourne when it first came out by accident ... The Blood Bourne Identity lol

SerTapTap

Any Japanese fighting game, especially ones not by Capcom. Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!! is a personal favorite, bonus points for officially having 5 exclamation points in the name.

Warface is exceptional in how simple yet incredibly stupid it is. Most funny japanese game names are weird because they're a wordsalad of "cool" english words. But Warface is just. Warface.

Also I love *w* Quintet (the "w" looking thing is a lower case Omega), wish they kept the *w* as the prominent part for the western release. I still insist on calling it *w* Quintet whenever possible.

Hypron

Actually if you think about it, I'm not even sure if it's grammatically correct. I mean, it's one demon's soul. Singular, not plural. A single demon's souls doesn't make sense. At least that's how I see it. I really think they meant to say Demons (as in multiple demons) Souls.

Also, Demons' Souls is something different entirely and I think it's even worse. It adds a whole new syllable that just doesn't feel right.

Demons in the DeS universe do possess tons of souls each so Demon's Souls actually makes sense. It's still an awkward name though.

Skux

Elite: Dangerous
Cities: Skylines

The whole point of a subtitle is to have something unique to distinguish it from everything else that might use "Elite" or "Cities" in their name. But both subtitles are just as generic. Skylines even caused confusion by making people think it was part of the Cities XL series.

Altazor

Warface is exceptional in how simple yet incredibly stupid it is. Most funny japanese game names are weird because they're a wordsalad of "cool" english words. But Warface is just. Warface.

Considering it was developed by Crytek, I'd love to think they wanted to call it "Cryface" then decided against it.

SerTapTap

Guilty Gear Xrd

It's so stupid I love it.

The funny thing is it even has a weird convoluted story behind it. The second Guilty Gear game is Guilty Gear X. Then there was Guilty Gear XX. Then a bunch of judgements and #reloads and such. And now finally XXX, or the third X--Xrd--game. At least I think that's what it's supposed to be. Sign is...just a random word they put on there best I can tell.

My favorite bad game names are the super lazy/redundant ones like:

Beyond the Beyond
Divine Divinity

What does that those even mean??

Infinite Undiscovery will never be beaten though. A game where you spend infinity without ever discovering anything you say? Sounds like a great time.

rothbart

Final Fantasy X-2. It's not the final "fantasy" by any means of the definition of "final". There are clearly 10+ of them... then the 10th one has its own sequel? LOL. Japan.

"BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien" love the game but holy shit the name.

Infinite Undiscovery was also pretty dumb, and the new Star Ocean name is silly.

mclem

There was a recent thread with a similar premise, and I went a bit nuts on it.

Taking out the games that had actually quite good (I felt!) names, for absurdity we still have:

Tongue of the Fatman:

Metagalactic Llamas Battle at the Edge of Time:

My Name is Uncle Groucho, You Win A Fat Cigar:

The Astonishing Adventures of Mr. Weems and the She Vampires:

Gregory Loses His Clock:

Fat Worm Blows A Sparky:

Attack of the Mutant Zombie Flesh-Eating Chickens from Mars:

Don't Buy This:

The Quest for the Golden Eggcup:

Journey to the Centre of Eddie Smith's Head:

Superhero League of Hoboken:

Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head Or Tail Of It: