• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: EA's New Empire = An Interview with Peter Moore

Crazy theory time: I wonder if it's because they're leading by so much. If they were trailing Xbox this gen ( roles reversed) it would probably be the PS4 with EA access and Xbox wouldn't have it, instead.

I wish it was on both systems. It's a shame since it hurts consumers to not have choice.

EloKa

EA + Steam = shady stuff happened which turned out to be bad for the customer.
EA + Xbox One Store = apparently shady stuff is happening again which might turn out to be bad for the customer again.

Kinda glad that EA Access isn't on the PS4.

So pay a monthly fee for EA games that are already priced at being $20 or less new, or like $5 used?

No I don't want it, nor would I ever feel satisfied with the service. But Playstation should have it so it's users have the option to pay for the subscription if they want it.

I still don't see it as a good value though and I don't want to have anything to do with it.

edit: Just looked at the list of games EA access has.. The only game I would had liked to play (Dragon Age Inquisition) and I already own it and beaten it. So yeah definitely not the service for me, let alone all they have available seems to be sports games. Yeah no.

Yea dragon age and plants vs zombies are only 20 bucks here. Not like close to 100. But your country must be the only one to exist.

Talk to Sony, they're the ones that didn't allow EA Access.

It has nothing to do with deals with Microsoft and everything to do with Sony forcing their opinions on what is right for gamers on their whole community.

Lol, is their platform and it they think that EA's deal isn't good enough then it sucks for EA but EA isn't entitled to get their service on every platform they want.

Not necessarily, they could just do it a different way and have a standalone EA Access app.
Would still require quite a lot of setup. Currently the store is the only way to get Games deployed or updated. Either you tie it into that or you have to rebuild that whole thing (e.g. download services, update services, as well as the whole client logic that resides on the device itself).

The technical issues don't seem trivial to me. Especially when you consider that someone might have bought a game on disc and then might be buying DLC for it via EA Access with the discount that gives you (e.g. you have a game that runs on Sony's services with DLC from EA's service).

FordGTGuy

Banned
Let's ask something : every owner of Xbox One here who didn't suscribe to EA Access, can you come forward and explain why ?

For my case, I have to admit despite the value games/price, I feel like I'm nowhere near to suscribe to it. The reason may be simple : like a lot of people I've already a neverending backlog. Thanks to PlayStation +, Games With Gold or recurring sales on PS Store... you could tell me I could access to 30 EA Games for 1 dollar by month, I still would be interested since that would just only overwhelm me more : |

Choice is not a bad thing indeed, but too much choice is not always necessary.

You're argument is that you have too many games to play and having even more options at a great price is too overwhelming so it shouldn't be available?

Lol, is their platform and it they think that EA's deal isn't good enough then it sucks for EA but EA isn't entitled to get their service on every platform they want.

It doesn't suck for EA, it sucks for gamers that bought into the PS4 ecosystem but now don't have access to a great service because Sony made a decision for them.

I could only imagine the backlash at Xbox if they made a decision like this for their community.

The only arguments against EA Access right now are entirely based on slippery slope principles. As it stands, its incredibly consumer friendly, non invasive, cheap and well worth the price of admission

gogogow

Seeing as I barely play any EA games on PS4 I'm not too fussed.

I even quit buying FIFA.

The next EA game I buy is Mass Effect and no one is waiting two years for that to show up in the vault in 2018.

If the service comes over that's great, if not it's whatever.

What are you talking about? None of the games in the vault took 2 years to show up. Hell, all the games available now didn't even take a year to get added in. DAI was released after the introduction of EA Access and was added in after 9 months. Fifa 15 - 8 months, Madden NFL 15 - 7 months.

FordGTGuy

Banned
No. I explained why I didn't suscribed to it myself as of now.

Also, I've asked a question :)

It's silly to only ask opinions of those that didn't buy into it.

The answer is always going to be that it just didn't interest them or that they are not interested in any EA properties.

You're argument is that you have too many games to play and having even more options at a great price is too overwhelming so it shouldn't be available?

It doesn't suck for EA, it sucks for gamers that bought into the PS4 ecosystem but now don't have access to a great service because Sony made a decision for them.

I could only imagine the backlash at Xbox if they made a decision like this for their community.

Is that some childish "Sony too!" trolling?

If the service is so great then the customers will move to the Xbox One.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

crazy.gif

Jigorath

Banned

lol

Nobody actually believes you're so concerned for PS4 owners.

Crazy theory time: I wonder if it's because they're leading by so much. If they were trailing Xbox this gen ( roles reversed) it would probably be the PS4 with EA access and Xbox wouldn't have it, instead.

I wish it was on both systems. It's a shame since it hurts consumers to not have choice.

EA isn't stupid. They are making a lot of money on the Xbox with that service because they could got the better business deal with Microsoft.

Rad-

Yep. It was sort of the same with 360 and PS3 last gen except in reverse. The leading one always gets a bit arrogant or lazy or whatever you want to call it. You'd think console makers already knew how fast things can change. This isn't even the only thing where Sony's and MS's roles have reversed from last gen.

FordGTGuy

Banned

It's not trolling it's the truth.

We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect.

- Sony Representative

The ultimate decision is/was Sony's.

lol

Nobody actually believes you're so concerned for PS4 owners.

I'm not concerned for anyone but myself, that doesn't mean that it still doesn't suck for people that bought into the Sony ecosystem.

FordGTGuy

Banned
EA isn't stupid. They are making a lot of money on the Xbox with that service because they could got the better business deal with Microsoft.

Except that they originally went to both Sony and Microsoft with their service, Microsoft said yes and Sony said no.

I still can't believe people are trying to blame the lack of EA Access on PS4 on Microsoft and EA.

Yes and? Obviously, it was Sony which didn't want to accept the business deal which included all kind of stuff like infrastructure and revenue streams.

They didn't accept the deal because It provided a revenue competition to first party services.

Except that they originally went to both Sony and Microsoft with their service, Microsoft said yes and Sony said no.

I still can't believe people are trying to blame the lack of EA Access on PS4 on Microsoft and EA.

Yeah, poor EA which only wanted a good service for the gamers and not the best possible business deal.

Sony isn't forced to let every third party service on the PlayStation. It's quite simple and the customers have all options to support the better system if it such a deal breaker.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Yeah, poor EA which only wanted a good service for the gamers and not the best possible business deal.

Sony sure did when they made a decision for their community that had nothing to do with protecting their community from a bad value and everything to do with protecting their own revenue.

Renekton

Probably not due to market share. Im guessing Sony wanted to plug its own PS+ and PSNow regardless.

Question: does EA Access have its own storefront?

Not surprised he sounds salty, he went all in on xbox at the start of the gen, and backed the distant, distant second horse, probably cost EA millions, and now the market leader is saying no thanks, costing them more.

Sony should have it on their system, and i'd get it if it was, and it doesnt seem to insidious so far, but i can see why'd they want to stand up to Ea some.

Mob_zter

Neo Member

Haha. DO u even know what you are talking about. I cant believe how some people are saying that its not worth & its good that Sony stopped it.

This is what EA access is

EA Access debuted in beta form exclusively on Xbox One on July 29, 2014,[1] and was officially launched on August 11, 2014.[9] Electronic Arts approached both Sony and Microsoft with the service, but Sony declined to make it available on their PlayStation 4 console.[10] In a statement, Sony claimed that the EA program's monthly fee was not a "good value" for their consumers.[10] Sony offers its own premium membership service that provides unlimited access to the full versions of a selection of games from a broader range of publishers, and is also unveiling PlayStation Now, a game streaming service

Games in the Vault

1 Battlefield 4
2 Madden NFL 25
3 FIFA 14
4 Peggle 2
5 Need for Speed Rivals
6 Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
7 EA Sports UFC
8 NBA Live 15
9 Madden NFL
10 NHL 15
11 FIFA 15
12 Titanfall
13 Dragon Age: Inquisition

So basically Every EA game released on XBOX ONE except Battlefield Hardline available for Consumers for 5$ a month or 30$ per year ( 2.5$ month)

If anyone saying this is a bad deal, You are stupid & Blind from EA/ Microsoft hate.

orochi91

I can't recall a single EA AAA game on PS+ so far on the PS4, so what exactly does Sony lose out on by allowing EA Access on their current gen console?

I'm indifferent to EA Access, but I'm not sure how it conflicts with PS+ to begin with.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Not surprised he sounds salty, he went all in on xbox at the start of the gen, and backed the distant, distant second horse, probably cost EA millions, and now the market leader is saying no thanks, costing them more.

How does this have anything at all to due with Sony saying no to EA Access?

Again with the blaming Microsoft and EA for a decision they didn't make.

I'm indifferent to EA Access, but I'm not sure how it conflicts with PS+ to begin with.

I can't recall a single EA AAA game on PS+ so far on the PS4, so what exactly does Sony lose out on by allowing EA Access on the PS4?

Available revenue, EA Access offered a much better value and they were afraid that people would adopt EA Access and ignore PS+ which is something they are heavily invested in right now.

Haha. DO u even know what you are talking about. I cant believe how some people are saying that its not worth & its good that Sony stopped it.

This is what EA access is

Games in the Vault

1 Battlefield 4
2 Madden NFL 25
3 FIFA 14
4 Peggle 2
5 Need for Speed Rivals
6 Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
7 EA Sports UFC
8 NBA Live 15
9 Madden NFL
10 NHL 15
11 FIFA 15
12 Titanfall
13 Dragon Age: Inquisition

So basically Every EA game released on XBOX ONE except Battlefield Hardline available for Consumers for 5$ a month or 30$ per year ( 2.5$ month)

If anyone saying this is a bad deal, You are stupid & Blind from EA/ Microsoft hate.

Oh the cruel EA and Microsoft (?) hate.

Caayn

Probably not due to market share. Im guessing Sony wanted to plug its own PS+ and PSNow regardless.

Question: does EA Access have its own storefront?
There's an EA Access app, which shows the games in the vault and where you can add them to your library. But EA Access is also intergrated into the XBL store, so there's no need to use the EA Access app as all games in the vault automatically show as free in the XBL store.

mocoworm

What are you talking about??

He backed no-one. They approached both MS and SONY together at the very beginning of the generation, before SONY was market leader. MS said yes, SONY said no.

How is that Moore's choice?

Kosma

Banned

Sony should have it on their system, and i'd get it if it was, and it doesnt seem to insidious so far, but i can see why'd they want to stand up to Ea some.

Pretty much

They went all in on MS and got burned

Maybe they will learn from this next gen

What are you talking about??

He backed no-one. They approached both MS and SONY together at the very beginning of the generation, before SONY was market leader. MS said yes, SONY said no.

How is that Moore's choice?

I think it's pretty clear EA was in bed with MS from before the gen started with Titanfall and all.

That franchise never really took off thanks to that decision for one.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Pretty much

Except you know, every EA game being on PS4 this generation.(Except Titanfall which is coming as a sequel to PS4).

They didn't make the decision to go all in on Microsoft, Sony made that decision for them.

I think it's pretty clear EA was in bed with MS from before the gen started with Titanfall and all.

Again with Microsoft and EA getting the blame for Sony's own anti-consumer opinion.

Caayn

Pretty much

Wait people actually believe that MS and EA have some kind of secret deal? Are people actually that delusional or can't get over their love for their favorite box of plastic?

What are you talking about? None of the games in the vault took 2 years to show up. Hell, all the games available now didn't even take a year to get added in. DAI was released after the introduction of EA Access and was added in after 9 months. Fifa 15 - 8 months, Madden NFL 15 - 7 months.

Sorry, guess the time frame is shorter than I thought. I know nothing about the service.

My main point still stands, that I wouldn't use EA Access if it was on PS4.

But it would be nice for other users if it was available there though.

orochi91

Available revenue, EA Access offered a much better value and they were afraid that people would adopt EA Access and ignore PS+ which is something they are heavily invested in right now.

Is it not possible for both subscriptions to co-exist on the PS4 though, especially when multiplayer is tied to Playstation Plus?

Sony's refusal to allow EA Access is a bit baffling, especially when all of EA's most popular games are multiplayer focused games too.

When you say revenue, do you mean purchases made from the PSN store and how EA Access would take away from store royalties?

Mob_zter

Neo Member
Pretty much

Except yo know Titanfall Sold close to 5 million as i can remeber. Maybe more than 5 million & They are making Titanfall 2.

Also what you should know is that these are business decisions made by lots of people. Not just a single person. No one got Burned. EA have a good relationship with MS , just as much as Sony. If you really look you'll see Sony got the marketing rights for Battlefront also. IF these guys are really angry you'll see MS getting marketing rights for every EA game..

In that interview he gave with Phil Spencer you could see that the rivers of salt ran deep within that man. I get the feeling that every penny they pay Sony in royalties he hands over begrudgingly.

Kosma

Banned
Well for one they were there at the Xbone unveil, not at the PS one.

Fifa was a freebie in Europe on Xbox.

Titanfall exclusive.

Except yo know Titanfall Sold close to 5 million as i can remeber. Maybe more than 5 million & They are making Titanfall 2.

Titanfall servers are dead though from what I've been reading. Destiny has totally eclipsed any momentum Titanfall might have had to be the next COD.

Top Bottom