• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Was a huge fan of the early screwattack on GT, use to go there all the time, I tried my hand at the free DS lite thing but im sure 99% went to people who made scripts to do the daily activities :/

Yeah, this is not the news I wanted to wake up to. GameTrailers had been providing quality content for as long as I've known them, but I only really got into their stuff once they started their podcast. I've been watching pretty much all their stuff ever since. It's a real shame it had to end this way, but I hope they all land back on their feet soon enough.

If it isn't too stalker-y, I hope GAF can keep help keep tabs on what their future projects will be.

I feel like we just lost one of the few "positive" gaming media. :(
Yeah, I feel the same way. It wasn't "positive" in the PR shill sense, but more like a genuine enthusiasm for games. I'm sure a lot of other publications are like that too, but I guess I'm a person that needs convincing, and GT was able to do that.

Kalentan

I actually never really thought about that. Almost every other outlet I usually read is full of people who absolutely hate videogames. GT guys adored them however - and that's why people say they shill too much and hype things too much on Reddit and other websites. We're kind of conditioned to be cynical bastards today and think the industry does nothing but fuck us over.

Basically... I hope they can get together again and start anew... Otherwise I fear the cynicism-run gaming culture will only continue to get worse. :(

Ianan

Holy shit nooo.
GT was one of my first ever gaming sites, always enjoyed their reviews and a large majority of their videos. They'll be sorely missed :(

NzHb.jpg

Every single person in this photo needs to be working together as of tomorrow, I don't give a fuck, GT = gaming media. I don't know of anyone working in any medium covering any form of art (cinema, music etc.) with the passion and charm of everyone in this fucking photo.

Kickstarter that shit. Whatever it takes.

Lemonheap

Banned
Basically... I hope they can get together again and start anew... Otherwise I fear the cynicism-run gaming culture will only continue to get worse. :(

Feels like they have the collective power to do anything at all to be honest. Start a youtube network or something together, they obviously have the support and the talent they need, they just have to take advantage of it in a way that gets better results than what GT was as a company.

They're not exactly broke without means to get out. If they simply split up it would be hard however. If I know them like I think I do they'd want to do something together. I'm sure they know it's not impossible or even unlikely, but the response they get here is like they're dead and never coming back or something.

EDIT: althought it seems they're already splitting.

Sad to see GT close. I haven't followed what they're doing lately because I can't stand Bosman, but I wanted to check them out once he left them. Oh well.

Moff

wow, that's out of nowhere
I remember the time when actual gametrailers were everything they posted, it was a great website and I think it evolved to something even better.
I liked their video reviews and shows.

SighFight

It's a shame. Going to go download everything I can tonight. Wasn't the biggest fan of where GT went in the past year or two (though I image that is a budget issue) they've put out some great content over the years.

Wish everyone luck who got laid off today.

Wow. I hadn't watched their content in a while but they had some funny people.

Surprising, I haven't been to the site for many years but it always seemed like something that would last.

I used to be a regular visitor. Their video reviews were ahead of time but in therecent years I stopped going there because YouTube often just worked better and had good people doing reviews. And from your comments it seems I was not the only one.

They should have gone into full YouTube presence when it started to become bigger!

Aspiring

Working the night shift and having the wife and kids at school during the day these guys were my best mate at lunch. It was gametrailers and I every single day. Now what will i watch and who will entertain me? I seriously am bummed about this. Im laying in bed and cannot sleep. I hope they can organise some crowd funding thing to get going because they seriously had the best crew. If greg miller could do it why not these guys?

This is horrible. I only just started becoming a frequent viewer of their material after the Huber meltdown last E3, and now this happens. :'(

What's the official reason for this happening? Were they just not pulling in the required amount of hits?

hlhbk

Have already downloaded 400 videos from the YouTube channel. Will be going throughout the night. I will sync up with everyone in the next few days on ideas on how to share these videos.

ogbg

Feels like they have the collective power to do anything at all to be honest. Start a youtube network or something together, they obviously have the support and the talent they need, they just have to take advantage of it in a way that gets better results than what GT was as a company.

They're not exactly broke without means to get out. If they simply split up it would be hard however. If I know them like I think I do they'd want to do something together. I'm sure they know it's not impossible or even unlikely, but the response they get here is like they're dead and never coming back or something.

EDIT: althought it seems they're already splitting.

You would think so. I mean it felt like they were getting big in the last year. Hopefully it's just a case of being in the wrong company at the wrong time and there's a bidding war for their services

Not really surprised, the writing I think was already on the wall a year and a half or so ago with a bunch of layoffs across their parent company's family of sites that GT's days were probably numbered. Sucks for the people who still were working there though.

Mariolee

This is horrible. I only just started becoming a frequent viewer of their material after the Huber meltdown last E3, and now this happens. :'(

What's the official reason for this happening? Were they just not pulling in the required amount of hits?

We're assuming so. Not enough views to support a full staff like that.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Noo =(
They were the only major gaming site I liked anymore and whose reviews I trusted.

Goodbye, old friend.

I'm seriously having a hard time trying to think of another major gaming site right now that fits a similar description and format of GT. GiantBomb I guess? Never followed them though

Maybe I just suck at looking hard enough

Neuro

Thank-you GT for giving me my breakthrough story on Metal Gear Solid 4, I am going to miss you guys a lot...

UrbanRats

That's probably a safe assumption.
I doubt DEFY would give them the boot, if they pulled in millions of views
-
Copy pasting what i said in the GT|OT|:

So anyway... checked my user account at GT.com, and it says i've been a member since 2008.
I actually started using GT a little before that (probably around 2006), on and off for a while, then more frequently around 2009 or so, listening to Invisible Walls, even though i didn't like Shane and Marcus very much.
It became my go to videogame website when Shane left, like for many here, i assume, and i quickly dropped every other videogame site i used to watch, other than it (Giant Bomb and such).

I guess many of us knew this moment was coming, especially after Elyse departure, things did look a bit grim, but it still sucks balls.

As i said some time back, GT wasn't only my "go to" videogame site, but it was actually the only reason a cared about videogame news in the first place.
I don't play games as much as i used to, nor do i care about them as strongly, so now that GT is shut down (unless these folks decide to band together for something else) i guess i'm done with that whole thing.
I mean not gaming itself, but i'm not gonna bother reading gaming news or reviews from another site, and just follow major shifts casually, from neogaf.

The most depressing thing will be following E3 this year, watching the conferences without commentary will fucking sucks, no two ways about it.
To the point where i'm wondering if i'll even bother.

Anyway, i'll keep it short, thanks to all the GT staff (current and past) for all the years of entertainment.

Kalentan

I'm seriously having a hard time trying to think of another major gaming site right now that fits a similar description and format of GT. GiantBomb I guess? Never followed them though

Maybe I just suck at looking hard enough

Honestly for me... I feel like you go to GiantBomb to become more negative about games...

Like they were GT's polar opposite.

sora87

I hope they do something together, even if it's just some of them streaming on twitch together some nights... please

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I hope they do something together, even if it's just some of them streaming on twitch together some nights... please

I'd be down if it's just the crew watching this year's E3 conferences in a living room.

Seriously, their live speculating and discussion was a better alternative than refreshing an already hammered GAF E3 conference thread (sorry guys lol).

GT has been my favorite site for almost a decade, sad to see it go.

Remember looking for reviews for Xbox 360 games, mainly Eternal Sonata and Bioshock. Not only did I like their videos, but completely fell in love with Brandon's narrations and tone of voice compared to all the extremely weak voice overs on other review sites. Seriously love dudes voice and hope he gets more work, hopefully in a game or something!

Ditto amount of love to the rest of the staff. The weird hybrid of gamers and performer backgrounds and seemingly nothing in common personalities blended perfectly when they started putting themselves on camera. Even in what has probably been their heyday recently I was always a fan of theirs no matter who came and went. Anyone would be crazy to not hire this crew for w/e.

Cheers to the GT staff.

If they get something going themselves in a kickstarter or something like that I would definitely donate. I'm bummed this happened. No other site feels like gametrailers. I hope the guys are seeing how much we enjoyed their content so they can at least put a smile on their face. Best gaming website hands down. Don't know what I'm gonna do Thursday nights while I lay in bed, now that GT Time is gone.

Top Bottom