• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

wiibomb

Yeah, Brandon working for Disney Infinity makes a ton of sense

Get Johnny V on that!

Other good fits

Ben Moore to Blizzard

Huber to work on Shenmue

Bosman to lead the Nintendo Treehouse live team

Brad Ellis to Square Enix

Bloodworth to CD Project Red

that would be a huge bummer, as much as I know they love those companies, they would be so constraint there, I want them to shit on whatever stupid practice they might do whenever they want

Kensho

rudleyavatar2fey4d.png

Thanks a lot!!

Haunted

I don't want them to vanish into the bowels of some company, only to emerge for some three minute interviews every couple years when it's time to hype up a game.

I want them to stay visible and relevant in the game coverage sector.

Drencrom

I'd hate to see the GameTrailers peps end up at game companies and become regular old, boring PR pieces that can't speak openly about anything in the industry and so on. It would be the biggest crime in gaming history if these amazing people didn't continue to do what they do and love!

that would be a huge bummer, as much as I know they love those companies, they would be so constraint there, I want them to shit on whatever stupid practice they might do whenever they want

Exactly!

Just sad and disappointing news and also a complete surprise. GT was one of my favorite gaming sites and my most trusted site when it came to reviews.

I'd hate to see them all work for big gaming companies as it would most likely result in them being constrained in what they can say. If it comes to it and they all can't get together and do something then I hope that Huber and Bosman start a youtube channel or something.

sora87

Wow, the twitch chat is still going

edit- aw bugger, Damiani didn't archive his stream last night reminiscing about GT :(

Yeah, Brandon working for Disney Infinity makes a ton of sense

Get Johnny V on that!

Other good fits

Ben Moore to Blizzard

Huber to work on Shenmue

Bosman to lead the Nintendo Treehouse live team

Brad Ellis to Square Enix

Bloodworth to CD Project Red
This would be fun.

gazele

Banned

As far as financial stability, those are probably the best options for those guys

What I'd want?

Patreon with Kyle, Huber, Ian, Brad, and Ben

But that's super risky

Also, people in games journalism tend to end up at companies long term, that's just how it goes

How many 1Up alumni work in games journalism right now? I personally can't think of any, and it does make me sad, but I'm sure they all enjoy the increase in salary

Justinh

Oh God no, dear l...no!!
It wouldn't hurt Bosman to be a guest on TB's podcast. He wouldn't change or anything. He's done it before...
I love their Retrospective videos,the guy who do these have a great voice.
He sure does. He actually wrote the Final Fantasy Retrospectives, too (the best ones).
I thought he wasn't going to be using social media anymore?

He just gave control of it to his PR guy and supposedly doesn't read it himself anymore.

RAIDEN1

I remember in the days whilst in uni, some of my gaming friends told me about GT and we would be regularly on there checking out the trailers to the latest games etc..or reviews keeping track with all things E3!!...but personally ever since the site went in for a re-design, it lost its appeal for me no longer were there regular screw-attack retro videos,(at least on a regular basis) I found the Angry video game nerd through GT and enjoyed some of his shows...also enjoyed some of the episodes of invisible walls, pop fiction etc...but past year or two I hardly visited the site..it had lost it's "charm" in some respects..

This "loss" is a bit similar to what it was like when CVG shut its doors for good early last year probably and subsequently Edge magazine had it's site shut...... CVG was one of the longest if not THE longest running gaming journalism "brands" going....(since 1981!!!) best part of 30 years, I doubt the likes of IGN, Gamespot, et all will last as long as that..is possible but I'd be surprised...

I would pay for a patreon.

I've only ever kickstarted Shenmue, and I've normally no interest in patreon but, this is the exception for that platform.

I like their content and I love their personalities.

I know its been said to death, but I just can't fucking stand giant bomb et al.

I'd only come on board with the GT crew in recent months, I think as well as so many others, from the E3 video.

What a kick in the teeth for them to be told like that. Fuck defy media.

Just as a point of reference, when this sort of thing happens, how many people actually tend to return to similar video game "journalism" either on their own or with another company? Like when Gametrailers had lay-offs in the past, for instance? Or 1-Up, Joystiq, Rev3, whatever.

I feel like it's pretty rare. I could see the faces (Bosman, Huber, Jones) getting similar jobs, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the rest moved into more behind the scenes work elsewhere. Especially Matt and Don, who never really got in front of the camera too too much anyway. I think Brad, Blood, and Ben, in cases like this, are the ones most likely to move onto to something different. Even if they don't want to, even if they still love games, just out of practicality and stability.

Ian's more of a wild card. If he has creative freedom on something, I think he'd be happy just about anywhere. He'd probably be a good match for Destructoid.

Guess we'll see.

Hasney

My heart goes out for the Gametrailers crew (I used to be a games journalist for 12 years, so I sure know unstable things can be) and Michael Huber especially. He visited us at Remedy to see Quantum Break back in January. Him and Sam had a lot of fun, but we are unlikely to see all that now.

Oh man, I didn't know that's where he went when he was out for a few days. I know he's a huge fan of your guys work so that would have been fantastic to see since Huber's like a big excitable kid. Hopefully it finds a way to leak out.

RaidenXZ

Is there any way to get their beautiful time line videos they did? Because I was having trouble finding them on the GT website :(

Choomp

Banned
I wasn't very familiar with them but from the streams I watched time to time, they seemed really cool. 'Tis a shame

Talonz

Hard to believe there were no takers to buy the website. Did he even put the site up for sale? I'm missing something here I guess.

Top Bottom