• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

I know the realistic thing to hope for is that everyone in the crew lands on their feet and finds success in some new venture, but man, I just want them all to stay together. Especially Moore, Huber, Bosman, Bloodworth and Jones. There was such a tangible sense of camaraderie within that group, and it's so sad to me that they're all going to go their separate ways now.

This.

Damn what a shame, the retrospectives they did (particularly the Final Fantasy series) were absolutely first class stuff. Loved watching those.

That FF retrospective was so good. I will always remember watching those.

Prompto

Banned
I agree. That's the worst part of it. I will get over the fact that Gametrailers won't be in the daily routine anymore but to think that this is how it ends just makes me sad.
I mean, it was not even a month ago Ben Moore wrote this on his twitter:
6HqfQIb.png
That tweet just made me even sadder :(

One of my favorite GT moments was from TGS last year, they stayed up until 1 in the morning to watch the Sony press conference. They got excited for Gravity Rush announcements and Old Hunters gameplay.

But then Capcom steps up, they got silent, they show off the 20 year resident evil anniversary logo, they show all 6 of the mainline series games, they say they have to do something to honor those games.

*Umbrella corps logo appears*

"WTF IS THIS!?"

"THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RESIDENT EVIL!"

"THIS IS GARBAGE!"

Oh and an activision guy said "Konishiwa" and they made fun of him for 10 minutes, that was good too.

I was dying laughing.

srf

Neo Member
That sucks. I watched the stream yesterday, it was so sad :/. I really liked the team and I feel really bad for them because how they were treated. I hope to see them soon somewhere, hopefully in similar squad.
Thank you GT for years of great stuff. I feel really personal loss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6miaTf1gF4g

BTW: May I ask for avatar with GT logo, please?

-Amon-

13 years :(

They were the first to post HD videos.

I watched so many of their works in all these years.

Really sad to see them close.

I just read that reddit post, if they closed because they didn't want to upload to YouTube,then this was a lost battle from the start.

I'm not sure where this is coming from as I haven't read a post on reddit, but all of GameTrailers' content for the past few years has been uploaded to youtube along side the main site. It's not like they were refusing to upload anything (except for some streams they did that also didn't make it onto the site).

dickroach

Hard to believe there were no takers to buy the website. Did he even put the site up for sale? I'm missing something here I guess.

it just seems like a simple business "trim the fat" move. it was either to just shut the whole thing down and let everyone go than take the time to find a buyer and work out a deal. Defy probably already has plans for the GT offices and have people moving in or ready to move in there at this second.
like, they didn't even have the decency to give Brandon a heads up. just said "hey you and all your friends are fired, and the company you founded is dead. c ya"

CGwizz

Shu always loved Bosman, i knew Bosman would be ok.

My fear is the others , i fear i will never see reviews from Blood or Ben again, dude was in honeymoon :( , how fucking disgusting is this. These 2 are the best reviewers of any gaming site. The best !!!!

I fear we will never see ian, brad or the more behind the scenes people in gaming again...

This is a nightmare ...

I hope they do something together :(

Kanashimi

I agree with all your thoughts, there really is nothing out there like them. I've said it so many times in this thread but it's true and now I have a huge hole in my daily life where there content used to be.

Kinda Funny is getting mentioned because they succeeded on Patreon and support 5 people. I think they have a much bigger fan base though :/

The reason Kinda Funny has been mentioned a ton is because they consist of 4 guys (2 that were very popular) from IGN that left the site to do their own video games content with the support of a crowd support tool called Patreon.

People don't want to see the crew broken up so they have hopes that some of these guys will follow suit.

Thanks for the input concerning Kinda Funny. I looked up their Patreon, but I guess I gotta give their content another shot to see if I'd like it. Honestly, pretty positive some of the GT team could get away with a Patreon.

The issue is the way video companies are competing now-a-days. Just look at That Guy With The Glasses which feels like a relic constantly falling behind after Blip.TV was no more (going to ScrewAttack's site also makes me feel super old, but they're doing pretty decently on YouTube). I mean things like AVGN succeed on YouTube because it's really only a few guys tops (James and Mike, sometimes a few others). So I can't help but worry about a company of 10+ guys attempting to strike it out on their own.

Realistically though, I'm not sure anything beats GameTrailer's reviews. They were always so simple, short, sweet. So many reviews focus on negativity and can be downright insulting. I've always loathed that. You can be negative and not be a dick, I liked that GT kept that to heart.

FTF

I agree. It's not equating the losses as being the same. For me the GT logo is just there to show that I appreciate what they did and I'm going to miss them and hope they find some place where they can continue. Ideally somewhere where I can watch them again.
iwata23ibo62.png

Yes :)
keq4rfi2otz2e.png

Good enough? Want the logo somewhere else?

I didn't use that specific logo you quoted, though...

OkbJVXR.png

Edit: arrrghhh!

Thank you both!

And watching some older videos now...sigh, such great times.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Good luck to all involved. I will miss your amazing content and trustworthy reviews. Thanks for the past years!

sentry65

gotta admit I'm sad to see them shut down, but mainly I miss the old Gametrailers.

I wasn't a big fan of their huge change-up in format though, so haven't been going there very often. It all felt very youtube-ish for the last couple years and not as professional or editorial as it used to be.

I didn't think they could out-compete youtube with the recent format

kennyamr

I was thinking that Sony invested a ton of money in PlayStation Originals for the series Powers that not too many people eventually watched and in reality what gamers want the most is something like Gametrailers, a weekly series of podcasts/shows about games and stuff we all want.
I'd love to see a big company offering an opportunity like that to them.
There is a ton of good talent here and I wish they could stick together somehow.

I know though that being part of a gaming company like Sony would limit them in every way so I guess it's not a huge good idea after all... however some small part inside me still hopes for something like that happening and saving the essence of GT as a whole.
Either that or Patreon :3 I'd love to help if you guys go that route.

They should do something together for E3 this year. It won't be the same w.o. them ;_; and their reactions for Dragon Quest XI and the new Zelda,the NX, God of War and who knows what else.

I'm still in bits. Been a loyal frequenter of GT ever since trying to track down a better site to watch the the FF trailers from the Sony Conference back in 2006. Bonus Round was always a staple for me on Sunday nights. Then there was Invisible Walls, Final Bosman, the Zelda Time line video, the Kingdom Hearts timeline, the E3 2015 reactions, the retrospectives, fuck! - the list goes on.

And I feel like the current GT crew of the past few years have been one of the only outright genuine sources of gaming news and entertainment. Their enthusiasm is fucking infectious, and you can tell that these guys could just be any other gaffer who you banter with in a community OT all day, rather than 'press'.

Ah man, what a shit start to the year. God bless you guys for some of the best entertainment of the past decade of my life. Looking forward to seeing where you all end up next. Best believe I'll be there with the rest of the guys and gals in here whenever you do pop up again.

Brandon in the twitch chat just now

Music to my ears. Nice to see they're going to consolidate ideas and aren't just all going their separate ways right now.

THERE'S A CHANCE.

EDIT: More from Brandon in Twitch chat:

Starting another venture might seem like a no-brainer, but there are a lot of people involved. Might want to take the opportunity and try out a different field. We'll see.

And on the topic of doing things like streaming on his own from home if that's not part of his future career:

I will definitely do SOMETHING because I can cut it myself. Weekly stream, video blog. like that. Not for at least two weeks though. So much stuff to get through.

Keihart

I'm going to guess one of the reasons is adblocker?

Maybe it is, i've never used it and never will. Your views becomes irrelevant as an statistic for monetizing the videos when you do.

I'm gonna miss GT, it was THE big video game site, that i would still bother to visit because of reviews, countdowns and Final Bossman offcourse.
I wish GT people the best of luck, really.

Oh hey! Didn't you used to be a mod at GT? I remember your name.

The thing that I will truly miss most will be their reaction to the big videogame conferences. They were always so live and ecstatic of these conferences and I just loved that. This industry has enough cynicism and bad things and GT was always the ones who where smiling and having fun despite the bad things happening.

Brandon being very open in the Twitch chat right now.

To answer our question of whether the individual team members can carry on their shows elsewhere or if they're owned by Defy:

I'll let each person talk about whether they're going to continue their shows elsewhere. I THINK they're able to but not 100% sure.

I bet one of the reasons they failed is they weren't inbox spammers like a lot of other similar sites. I watched almost every single video they released on Youtube, but that often averaged out to maybe one or two a day. IGN or Gamespot post way more than that: trailers, news, podcasts, tips and tricks, whatever, and get more views per video. I bet GT was actually capturing a larger percentage of their subscriber base with each video, and I certainly felt closer to them because I felt like I could actually keep up, but IGN only needs 1% of their subscribers to watch each video and they'll make way more than GT, so they let the fans pick through what they do and don't want.

I personally really like the GT method of never posting anything that isn't original content that could only come from them, but I don't think a model like that is likely to succeed today without crowd-funding support.

Music to my ears. Nice to see they're going to consolidate ideas and aren't just all going their separate ways right now.

THERE'S A CHANCE.

EDIT: More from Brandon in Twitch chat:

And on the topic of doing things like streaming on his own from home if that's not part of his future career:
I think that's completely fair. He could use that voice for lots of interesting stuff I'm sure, even if a lot of us would miss him.

sora87

Well, Brandon definitely wants to stay on Twitch and stream. That's at least one of the crew we will hopefully get more of. I hope when they meet up in a few weeks they can figure something out.

Well, some good news - Brandon's never leaving us completely <3

Again, from him in Twitch chat just now:

I don't see myself straying too far from Twitch, whether I'm appearing with someone else or doing my own stuff. It's just too damn fun.

Top Bottom