• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hard to believe there were no takers to buy the website. Did he even put the site up for sale? I'm missing something here I guess.

Don't think Brandon had anymore stake in GT despite being there since the beginning. According to Wikipedia:

Gametrailers.com was founded by Geoff Grotz and Brandon Jones in 2002. Jon Slusser and his company Hornet Animation invested in the startup, and Jon took over as CEO. The company was then acquired by MTV Networks in November 2005 for an undisclosed sum.[14]

Kanashimi

I was here yesterday when the news was announced. I was waiting an hour before the final stream. I was watching in hopes it was just some sort of joke or there was hope somewhere at the end of the tunnel.

When I was a kid GameTrailers was always where I went for HD versions of trailers for video editing. I learned a lot about that sort of thing from the site, and adapted it into my own style over the years. They always had crisp, clean voice over and I remember that. It's just odd to think they don't exist.

I loved watching their reviews up till the end even if they were just great reminders a game I wanted was coming out.

I don't think there's any replacement for GameTrailers and I'm so tired of the political bullshit in gaming journalism that I just don't want to waste the time. I'm just amazed that The Escapist lasted, but GameTrailers didn't. I just want to follow the guys in hopes they do something else, even if it's just VideoGameTrailers, but I have no idea if they have some sort of non-compete clause.

It's just a huge shame and I wish Defy Media hadn't been so tactless. You can say it's fair in terms of business, but the fans are certainly gonna disagree (I guess it's a good thing I don't support any of their other gaming properties).

GameTrailers had a code of honor, a unique style, and a professionalism you just don't see on the internet anymore. Thank you for all the years, and I hope there's more, somehow in someway.

Off topic, but I've seen Kinda Funny mentioned over and over in this thread. What's the deal with this and why is it so good? I've skimmed their content, I even saw Greg Miller at PlayStation Experience, but haven't figured out the appeal...?

mishakoz

I wish Defy would just give them the rights to the name and the show names, especially since they are clearly not going to do anything with it.

Also new page, does anyone have a link to the first few GT Time episodes

Arzehn

Hopefully they start their own thing. Kyle, Huber, and Ben Moore as a group have such similar tastes as me. They are the moss on the tree that tells me where the sun is.

GL to all involved.

Tensketch

God damn. I'm watching the farewell speech and I'm getting emotional.

I loved that site, amazing content. They each brought their personality to the table and I thought their stuff was fantastic to watch. I hope that they all fall on their feet and hopefully not too far apart.

Bossti

Neo Member
I was here yesterday when the news was announced. I was waiting an hour before the final stream. I was watching in hopes it was just some sort of joke or there was hope somewhere at the end of the tunnel.

When I was a kid GameTrailers was always where I went for HD versions of trailers for video editing. I learned a lot about that sort of thing from the site, and adapted it into my own style over the years. They always had crisp, clean voice over and I remember that. It's just odd to think they don't exist.

I loved watching their reviews up till the end even if they were just great reminders a game I wanted was coming out.

I don't think there's any replacement for GameTrailers and I'm so tired of the political bullshit in gaming journalism that I just don't want to waste the time. I'm just amazed that The Escapist lasted, but GameTrailers didn't. I just want to follow the guys in hopes they do something else, even if it's just VideoGameTrailers, but I have no idea if they have some sort of non-compete clause.

It's just a huge shame and I wish Defy Media hadn't been so tactless. You can say it's fair in terms of business, but the fans are certainly gonna disagree (I guess it's a good thing I don't support any of their other gaming properties).

GameTrailers had a code of honor, a unique style, and a professionalism you just don't see on the internet anymore. Thank you for all the years, and I hope there's more, somehow in someway.

Off topic, but I've seen Kinda Funny mentioned over and over in this thread. What's the deal with this and why is it so good? I've skimmed their content, I even saw Greg Miller at PlayStation Experience, but haven't figured out the appeal...?
Usually those non-compete clauses cover situations where one quits, not where one's laid off. I also wonder if they get any compensation like 2 months of salary, 3 months of health insurance or something like that. I hope they do, would give them some time to figure things out.

Kanashimi

Usually those non-compete clauses cover situations where one quits, not where one's laid off. I also wonder if they get any compensation like 2 months of salary, 3 months of health insurance or something like that. I hope they do, would give them some time to figure things out.

That's true, but it's all just speculation unless we see a contract. I mean, a little time of buffer is better than none. It's hard to imagine they were getting a salary after with the way they were acting. All we can do as fans is hope for the best.

1bqdvfY.png

<3

The reason Kinda Funny has been mentioned a ton is because they consist of 4 guys (2 that were very popular) from IGN that left the site to do their own video games content with the support of a crowd support tool called Patreon.

People don't want to see the crew broken up so they have hopes that some of these guys will follow suit.

It's interesting seeing the mix of people mentioning the current crew, old shows, the old forums, their review integrity, and more. I think, even beyond the current crew that lost their jobs, GT really just has an incredible legacy. I didn't really know the personalities outside of Brandon Jones, Geoff Keighly (who I thought were the same person as a kid) and Bloodworth for some reason until Final Bosman and then they got dwindled down to just 10 in the past year or two (which is my favorite era of the site), but since I was young they've always had my favorite reviews, a good amount of actual journalistic shows, original content, and great videos/ editing. They were YouTube before YouTube for a lot of people, giving a lot of current stars their start through spotlights. I did have an on-off relationship due to my terrible computers and their inconsistent site, but it was the only site who I made an effort to check for more than just current gaming events for years (I moved from Gamefaq to IGN to Gaf/Twitter for news over the years). Their E3 coverage was top notch. YouTube and others have grown to fill some of that void, but I really think their legacy can't get enough credit, despite the shift in focus more recently.

Even if, by some miracle, their current crew gets back together, I think it's still sad to see an end of an era like this.

sora87

I missed that steam, any good nuggets you can share?

I didn't see it, was hoping to watch the archive, strange it's not there :/

I agree with all your thoughts, there really is nothing out there like them. I've said it so many times in this thread but it's true and now I have a huge hole in my daily life where there content used to be.

Kinda Funny is getting mentioned because they succeeded on Patreon and support 5 people. I think they have a much bigger fan base though :/

Shaanyboi

Banned
Another one bites the dust, I guess. These guys put a lot of effort into their video features that I used to watch a long time ago, but yeah, stopped watching their stuff years ago.

Hopefully these guys land on their feet somewhere.

Afrodium

Banned
I listen to GT Time during my relatively short commute so it takes me a few days to get through an episode. Listening to the final stretch of the most recent episode was a real bummer. Kyle says that they have great jobs, Ben straight up talks about Defy closing GT one day, and they make a bunch of future plans and bets that will never be. I'm sad.

I wish Defy would just give them the rights to the name and the show names, especially since they are clearly not going to do anything with it.

Also new page, does anyone have a link to the first few GT Time episodes

The best site to find all the podcast are to me Podbay. Unfortunately the older GT Time episodes on Gametrailers.com gets a error message and the older GT Time episodes doesn't seem to be on Youtube.

I agree with all your thoughts, there really is nothing out there like them. I've said it so many times in this thread but it's true and now I have a huge hole in my daily life where there content used to be.

Kinda Funny is getting mentioned because they succeeded on Patreon and support 5 people. I think they have a much bigger fan base though :/

They can't recreate anything like Game Trailers through Patreon. Not to say any service supported by Kinda Funny is "lesser", but what made GT special was a unique combination of really good personalities matching with TV-caliber production values. The sheer amount of work put into any one of their videos years ago surpasses the production values of most YouTube gaming personalities' videos today.

Sadly it got too expensive to keep it afloat, and even though Defy were real dicks about the sudden nature of the closing I feel like they were already living on borrowed time for the better part of a year.

That's exactly the thing I think it's the worst about this, the creative freedom those guys had to make things about what they like/love cannot be found anywhere else, they were as original as you can get and certainly didn't deserve this treatment.

Love you all GT crew!.

Watching some of there recent videos and seeing the mentions of things they intend to do in the coming days and weeks, it just really hits home how needlessly out of the blue this decision by Defy was. Taking away someone's livelihood that way, it just seems so callous. I hope everything works out well for the folks from GT.

Bossti

Neo Member
They can't recreate anything like Game Trailers through Patreon. Not to say any service supported by Kinda Funny is "lesser", but what made GT special was a unique combination of really good personalities matching with TV-caliber production values. The sheer amount of work put into any one of their videos years ago surpasses the production values of most YouTube gaming personalities' videos today.

Sadly it got too expensive to keep it afloat, and even though Defy were real dicks about the sudden nature of the closing I feel like they were already living on borrowed time for the better part of a year.
I think most people who were watching the Twitch streams and ManUps and Huber Hype and Final Bosman etc. would gladly trade production value if they only get to see new content. I'd be happy with them creating a weekly podcast around Hubers TV showing some sort of prerecorded chimney fire. Or taking a cheap greenscreen with a projected chimney fire.

arevin01

I just read that reddit post, if they closed because they didn't want to upload to YouTube,then this was a lost battle from the start.

sora87

I think most people who were watching the Twitch streams and ManUps and Huber Hype and Final Bosman etc. would gladly trade production value if they only get to see new content. I'd be happy with them creating a weekly podcast around Hubers TV showing some sort of prerecorded chimney fire. Or taking a cheap greenscreen with a projected chimney fire.

For sure, I'd support them even if it was a side thing they do, just them sitting around chatting and playing games.

Fireflu

This is absolutely heartbreaking... Still can't quite believe it.

Feels like the cancellation of a favourite TV show but much much worse :'{...

Iv'e watched all their shows, streams, reviews, etc for years now and really felt a communal vibe with each member of the staff. They were easily the most authentic, honest and relatable figures in games media and this industry just wont be the same without them.

I just hope and pray we get to see them on screen again one day.

Watching some of there recent videos and seeing the mentions of things they intend to do in the coming days and weeks, it just really hits home how needlessly out of the blue this decision by Defy was. Taking away someone's livelihood that way, it just seems so callous. I hope everything works out well for the folks from GT.

I agree. That's the worst part of it. I will get over the fact that Gametrailers won't be in the daily routine anymore but to think that this is how it ends just makes me sad.
I mean, it was not even a month ago Ben Moore wrote this on his twitter:
6HqfQIb.png

Roxas

Damn what a shame, the retrospectives they did (particularly the Final Fantasy series) were absolutely first class stuff. Loved watching those.

I don't even know what to say. Been watching GT for a long time and now they're just done. Damn, this sucks. Gaming media has changed so much since I really started getting into as much as I could in the mid 2000's and all I can remember is the things I loved closing and I hate it. Watching the farewell speech right now and I'm feeling it.

Good luck to all those from GT in finding a place to land. Thanks for the good times ;_;7

NJD316

Neo Member
Sad news. That Star Wars Retrospective is to me one of the best bits of gaming video content ever done. Seriously comprehensive and that dude's voice made everything sound so legit.

tok9

People need to relax a little bit. It's great to see such passionate support for them but they all just lost their jobs. While it sucks for us it's a lot worse for them.

If they are reading this, I'd just advise them to take their time! Use it to recharge the batteries and come back stronger.

We'll be waiting eagerly to hear what you guys do next.

Bizzquik

I wonder if YouTube gaming (or RED) might sign them up?

Keighley does have a partnership with YouTube Gaming & he has been way too quiet about this. Hopefully he's trying to make something happen.

I would cry tears of joy if Geoff became the hero in all this.
He's done so many great things to help the image of gaming media over the years. This would be another impressive coupe.

Mariolee

Tears, man. Just... tears.

Keighley does have a partnership with YouTube Gaming & he has been way too quiet about this. Hopefully he's trying to make something happen.

Whoa, if that has anything to do with this then that would be a good get would it not?

He's done so many great things to help the image of gaming media over the years. This would be another impressive coupe.

If he brings the GameTrailers guys back from this, my firstborn child shall be called Geoff.

Keighly if it's a girl.

sora87

Would probably be the best possible outcome. I doubt we're that lucky though :(

This is absolutely heartbreaking... Still can't quite believe it.

Feels like the cancellation of a favourite TV show but much much worse :'{...

Iv'e watched all their shows, streams, reviews, etc for years now and really felt a communal vibe with each member of the staff. They were easily the most authentic, honest and relatable figures in games media and this industry just wont be the same without them.

I just hope and pray we get to see them on screen again one day.

Agreed.

It's crazy, and they were just talking up all the stuff they were looking forward to this year coming out of the holidays. :( And that high from E3 probably gave them a nice boost in awareness as well.

Portugeezer

I wonder what it must be like for the GT team to be watching everyone speculating about their future, I would think they are still unsure seeing as everything was such short notice.

I have ideas of what might happen, but it seems bad to speculate right now.

I know the realistic thing to hope for is that everyone in the crew lands on their feet and finds success in some new venture, but man, I just want them all to stay together. Especially Moore, Huber, Bosman, Bloodworth and Jones. There was such a tangible sense of camaraderie within that group, and it's so sad to me that they're all going to go their separate ways now.

Top Bottom