• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Justinh

Since this thread seems more visible I'm going to go ahead and quote myself, from the community thread, to this (lost?) Feature, GT(/
Cyclops
Ryan Stevens) produced a while back:

Thanks. Also, he does have a current thing he's doing.

http://gameisa4letterword.libsyn.com/

It's... heavier than just any other podcast. I've only listened to like the first couple episodes, but I found them really interesting.

wonderful!

caenix

Neo Member
Was watching the Invisible Walls Ep200 office tour video. This was probably around Gametrailer's peak popularity (early 2012).
mUW00dY.jpg

osLLxEm.jpg

Don, still awesome back then.

Jh1ldwb.jpg

Brandon with Marco, one of the videos editor, who has also appeared on GT live not too long ago.

DfuATbS.jpg

Rohan, who was responsible for shows like Annoyed Gamer, Pach-Attack!, and Bonus Round.

J4AdYGj.jpg

Ian working hard.

8AWOSbi.jpg

Ryan, the living video games encyclopedia. Managed GT after Shane's departure.

WPhUT29.jpg

Voice of GT.

nS17GWy.jpg

Bosman talking to his boss man, Hoffman.

475hgFc.jpg

Matt Blair (?)

fjiJqwr.jpg

Justin Speer, one of the old fan favorite reviewers. Ben and Huber appear to respect his opinions a lot.

3OofRys.jpg

Damiani, creator of popular video series such as Pop Fiction and Timeline.

LYDG1oZ.jpg

Chris, coordinates filming of various shows. Also appeared on Invisible Walls on occasions.

puMRw2w.jpg

Shane, the person who made all this possible.

DvWCMYx.jpg

Rob Slusser of the "Slusser Cup".

GLAZ1Vt.jpg

Rich Brown, the other voice of GT. "Nuum-berrr Ten!"

PkVhDvh.jpg

Bloodworth showing off his games library.

As cool as its gonna be to hear from Brandon, I feel like Total Biscuit is just taking advantage of the situation for his own gain.
I don't understand the point of this at all... of course he is doing it for his gain... just like brandon is doing it for his own gain, People usually do things for their own gain...it's being human

samn

Really late to the party but might I ask for the short version of why GT was closed?

Competition/ restructuring?

Their video player sucked, their original function (game trailers) was taken over by Youtube, their original shows were relatively costly to make but didn't bring in enough viewers (only a few tens of thousands per vid on Youtube).

OneUh8

This is really sad to hear. I love GT. I have been out of the country disconnected for a week and I come back to see this. :( . WIsh them all well.

Diablos

All these years and they just pull the plug with no warning? That's so incredibly shitty to the staff and those of us who enjoyed their content. Unreal.

All these years and they just pull the plug with no warning? That's so incredibly shitty to the staff and those of us who enjoyed their content. Unreal.

This is the thing that has irked me the most. I mean, in reality, Gametrailers closing down was always an inevitability, a shitty inevitability, but an inevitability nonetheless.

But they should have been given fair warning. A week in advance at least. So they could go out in a way they would have liked, so they could post final videos with goodbyes, and thanks, or whatever.

For Defy to give no word whatsoever before hand and pretty much tell them to pack up and never come back right this instant is incredibly wanky.

kennyamr

so I never watched the Dungeons and Dragons podcasts at GameTrailers before, I guess I missed them for some reason.
Anyway so I found the playlist yesterday and started watching the first episode available there (ep 18 is the first one on YT because of Defy's inability to support its own business adequately) and to be honest I was lost for the first 30 minutes or so because they were talking about some random characters and a story I had no idea about...
but after I while I finally understood.. and man, what a joy ride!
Laughs! Adventure! and a better storyline than many video games! :p

here is the playlist link if you want to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okumAQp7D_A&index=23&list=PLaQokWZfgbyl8yzKQ_wadKQUnx5G5z9ph

Burt

so I never watched the Dungeons and Dragons podcasts at GameTrailers before, I guess I missed them for some reason.
Anyway so I found the playlist yesterday and started watching the first episode available there (ep 18 is the first one on YT because of Defy's inability to support its own business adequately) and to be honest I was lost for the first 30 minutes or so because they were talking about some random characters and a story I had no idea about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okumAQp7D_A&index=23&list=PLaQokWZfgbyl8yzKQ_wadKQUnx5G5z9ph

I did the exact same thing, it gets really, really good. I miss Pervince. Hopefully the rest from the website are getting archived so you can get into the beginning half.

Hasney

So the website itself has the earlier ones. There's also a recap here:https://youtu.be/6YsYq7hMQwI

sora87

You need to watch it from episode 1 if you can, you're missing so many incredible moments.
It's not hyperbole when I say TTA was one of the most entertaining things I've watched in the past few years, games media, film or TV wise.

Mikey Jr.

You need to watch it from episode 1 if you can, you're missing so many incredible moments.
It's not hyperbole when I say TTA was one of the most entertaining things I've watched in the past few years, games media, film or TV wise.

Never watched a single one of these.

Might as well now.

How can I start at number 1? Cant find anything on youtube.

Risev1

Man I used to love watching old Gametrailers reviews. Best edited review videos back then. Too bad most of their reviews have disappeared. Anyone has any idea if there's some sort of archive for their reviews? (2008 and prior).

Man I used to love watching old Gametrailers reviews. Best edited review videos back then. Too bad most of their reviews have disappeared. Anyone has any idea if there's some sort of archive for their reviews? (2008 and prior).

Weird, the content has been taken down?

After Viacom forced them to change their website (back on 2013, if I remember well), they lost a lot of links to older content, the player Viacom forced on them sucked and everything went downhill. With Defy things got even worse.

Before them, the site was so good to navigate. Use the Wayback Machine thing and investigate the site back on 2011 or before. You can't see the videos, but you can get how everything was better organized, more organically made and not so corporate-influenced (Viacom -and later Defy- modified GT's site so it resembled the sites of their other properties. A shame)..

It's really unusual for the Giant Beastcast ignored this. They definitely recorded after the word got out.

Danny mentioned them on The Lobby this week and they talked about it for a bit.... they all work in the same space at CBS so I'm sure there was talk of it around there.

edit- Bombcast in the same space at least...

MrPanic

I'm really beginning to feel the absence of GT, they really became a part of my daily routine with their jolly and funny content. It definitely feels like there's a gap now.

I really hope that even if they do decide it's better to split up and do their own things in life, they'll still consider doing a (bi)weekly podcast they can just do on the side of whatever their next venture brings them.

ito007

I'm glad TTA is still being talked about. I looked forward to it every week. I remember the
MURDER!!!
episode being the one that made me realize, "this is legit." At that point, the show reached that "special" level that other shows rarely achieve.

I know I got into D&D because of it personally

Ochi

Neo Member
I'm glad TTA is still being talked about. I looked forward to it every week. I remember the
MURDER!!!
episode being the one that made me realize, "this is legit." At that point, the show reached that "special" level that other shows rarely achieve.

I know I got into D&D because of it personally

I'm still a little sad we never got a continuation of Brandon, Brad and Don's adventure...

Top Bottom