• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

RichieRich

(works for gametrailers)
Was watching the Invisible Walls Ep200 office tour video. This was probably around Gametrailer's peak popularity (early 2012).
woWIdti.jpg

Shola Akinnuso, creator, writer, producer, director, etc. of the SHIFT series as in:

NeoGAF: A Perfect Little World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhaNkHRF8pM

The Evolution Fighting Tournament
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/view/gametrailers-com/115759-SHIFT-Evo-2-Act-1

The League of Legends Phenomenon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv8h1tjHDfw

And let's not forget about Patrick Morales!
Kng0jaS.jpg

Also part of the GT Editorial Team pre-Defy.

wapplew

So now that Huber start his solo streaming and Brad will start another soon, I fear they will spread their audience thin.
How do I choose which to watch if they all stream at the same time?

Ochi

Neo Member
They'll probably space them appropriately, and in huber and brads case since they're highschool besties there's a good chance of crossover on their streams

Hasney

So now that Huber start his solo streaming and Brad will start another soon, I fear they will spread their audience thin.
How do I choose which to watch if they all stream at the same time?

Well they're still at least a week away from meeting and seeing what they can do so they gotta do something in the interim.

DeVeAn

Over at Shane's new site ep 36 of Gameface he goes into detail about GT and gives closure to a lot. Also mentions if he has the money to pay them he would hire GT crew. Good video. So I assume if enough people sub they can start something great again. Thinking about a sub after my 3 day trial.

tok9

I'd wait to hear what the ex GT guys want to do before subbing to Shane. There is no guarantee they'd even want to work with Siftd.

Ochi

Neo Member
Well they're still at least a week away from meeting and seeing what they can do so they gotta do something in the interim.

I'd wait to hear what the ex GT guys want to do before subbing to Shane. There is no guarantee they'd even want to work with Siftd.

Yeah until I hear word, I'm basically keeping my dollars in my wallet.

It's a shame site development never reached a point where there could've been a GT subscription (beyond twitch) prior to all the closings and layoffs and everything else

Someone with a shit load of time on their hands should make a massive montage of great GT moments. E3 '15, the Bloodborne musical, Final Bets, Opinon Yell, Man Ups, Liquid Bosman, singing to Shu, and all the more serious stuff like Pop Fiction, Retrospectives, IW's, BR's etc.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Over at Shane's new site ep 36 of Gameface he goes into detail about GT and gives closure to a lot. Also mentions if he has the money to pay them he would hire GT crew. Good video. So I assume if enough people sub they can start something great again. Thinking about a sub after my 3 day trial.

What DeVeAn said^

Seriously, you guys really REALLY need to go and watch Gameface episode 36. Shane said it will be up on YT in a few days. Shane goes into great detail about the many factors leading up to GT's demise and offers some closure to its fans.

I for one, support SIFTD and hope that Shane succeeds in this endeavor. SIFTD is a fantastic site and has lots of things going for it. I recommend giving it a shot.

Justinh

What DeVeAn said^

Seriously, you guys really REALLY need to go and watch Gameface episode 36. Shane said it will be up on YT in a few days. Shane goes into great detail about the many factors leading up to GT's demise and offers some closure to its fans.

I for one, support SIFTD and hope that Shane succeeds in this endeavor. SIFTD is a fantastic site and has lots of things going for it. I recommend giving it a shot.

I've been waiting for it to go up on youtube because I really want to post it in here so people can watch it. I think he was mis-characterized a little bit when he said he'd hire GT staff if he could.

I thought it was so fascinating. He talks for over an hour (even GRAW's score) about behind the scenes GT stuff from his perspective (from newly hired EiC of GT to Vice President of Digital Content of Viacom). If they didn't say it was going up to youtube, I'd have recommended people to just start a 3 day trial so they can watch it. That's still not a bad idea, though. (click on premium to find it more easily on the home page)

If you do make a trial, and just want to watch the GT stuff, you can skip to 1:07.
Just before the q&a too, they show the Dark Souls 3 intro as the "trailer" of the week. If you find this too spoilery for your tastes, then you can skip to 2:01 to bypass all that.

Ochi

Neo Member
Someone with a shit load of time on their hands should make a massive montage of great GT moments. E3 '15, the Bloodborne musical, Final Bets, Opinon Yell, Man Ups, Liquid Bosman, singing to Shu, and all the more serious stuff like Pop Fiction, Retrospectives, IW's, BR's etc.

Honestly I'd love to work on a documentary of GT.

I have access and means to premier, but I'm not sure how much time I totally have to tell GT's story, and the many other stories related to it.

Visceir

What DeVeAn said^

That post reads like an ad.

Shane ditched gametrailers more than 3 years ago and the content had changed quite a bit since then. I imagine most of the fans here who are looking to support the GT people had the current GT staff in mind. I think they'd rather see their contribution go directly to the GT people rather than to some other site that might hire the GT staff.

I do hope they'll manage to figure out something soon. Will be interesting to hear Bosman and Brandon Jones on the podcast, hope they do share some ideas or plans for the future.

Motooni

Trying to download multiple GT twitch VoDs using JDownloader 2, however upon playback many of them will reach around the 30 minute mark and the remainder of the video will be corrupted. They're mainly streams from a while back and not all are available on youtube. Any fix on this?

Majine

Banned
Still have the GT app on my iPad, it hasn't worked for months (crashes on start), and I was waiting for them to fix it, but now I don't have the heart to remove it.

Sorry if this was asked before but anyone know how GT's finances looked? Were they in the red for some time?

Hoping everyone lands on their feet. RIP the father of HD game trailers.

Maxey

Weird that the site is still up but even weirder that they haven't even put up a goodbye message or anything on it. It's just stuck in time now.

RPGCrazied

Weird that the site is still up but even weirder that they haven't even put up a goodbye message or anything on it. It's just stuck in time now.

Its what happens when they fire you without warning and tell everyone to pack up and leave. No time for anything.

iNvid02

Its what happens when they fire you without warning and tell everyone to pack up and leave. No time for anything.

yeah, if that's the level of respect they have for the people there, i cant imagine them giving too many fucks about the site or community, best to leave it up for the post closure spike to squeeze what's left out of it

What makes it good? Is it really worth the subscription paywall?

My only experience with them so far has been Pachter's new show, and I'm not really happy with it... A lot of what made Pach Attack fun was the kind of ridiculous editing they would do, and it's completely gone in the new show.

DeVeAn

I think people should just watch Gameface ep 36 when it hits YouTube. If you liked GT a few years back really is worth the watch.

My only experience with them so far has been Pachter's new show, and I'm not really happy with it... A lot of what made Pach Attack fun was the kind of ridiculous editing they would do, and it's completely gone in the new show.

I suscribed to their site and it's looking good. The site it's on its infancy, of course, so there's not a lot to do yet, but you can feel something boiling. Or that's my impression at least.

Edit: I forgot: the player they have is a very good player. I wish Viacom and/or Defy would have given GT a player like that one u.u

Justinh

It's a gaming news aggregation site. They have premium original content, but the main thing is that they curate gaming news from around the net and "sift" it to you based on your preferences. You might recognize the name for one of the guys curating stuff for the site. The thing that's nice about it is the clean interface of the website. Like someone else said, it's still really young, but it's extremely quick because there aren't any ads and the shots and short blurbs help you decide whether or not you actually want to check out an article. It's hard to explain, So it's probably better just to make a trial account and give it a go (and watch Gameface ep 36 while you're at it!).

Watched Final Fantasy perspective

Pretty good
Oh dude, I think the FFRetro series is still the best thing they've ever done. That must've taken forever to get all the research for it. Much respect to Dr. Jones for doing all that.

I really wish they got the chance to update it with all the shit that happened with XIII, XIV, and now XV and the VIIr

For a brief moment I was all "Oh no! Why'd you bring this to my attention?" but it's not like they were going to be able to do it anyways.

Oh dude, I think the FFRetro series is still the best thing they've ever done. That must've taken forever to get all the research for it. Much respect to Dr. Jones for doing all that.

I really wish they got the chance to update it with all the shit that happened with XIII, XIV, and now XV and the VIIr

Ochi

Neo Member
Palabragrís;195297425 said:
I suscribed to their site and it's looking good. The site it's on its infancy, of course, so there's not a lot to do yet, but you can feel something boiling. Or that's my impression at least.

Edit: I forgot: the player they have is a very good player. I wish Viacom and/or Defy would have given GT a player like that one u.u

GT used to have a good player and Viacom sabotaged that by forcing their player on every viacom owned website.

That player has mostly been killed at this point, as even viacom dropped it. I think the only properties to fully escape the nightmare of viacoms top down corporate meddling have been South Park and Nickelodeon sadly.

Trying to download multiple GT twitch VoDs using JDownloader 2, however upon playback many of them will reach around the 30 minute mark and the remainder of the video will be corrupted. They're mainly streams from a while back and not all are available on youtube. Any fix on this?

That is sadly how twitch streams worked, all the video feeds are separated into 30 minute blocks and played together on their player.

Is there a location or post for all the retrospectives? I feel like I'm missing a few in my collection.

EDIT: Not to mention the first few episodes of Mandatory Update. I finally found every Final Bosman ep and now I need my MU fix.

RichieRich

(works for gametrailers)
GT used to have a good player and Viacom sabotaged that by forcing their player on every viacom owned website.

That player has mostly been killed at this point, as even viacom dropped it. I think the only properties to fully escape the nightmare of viacoms top down corporate meddling have been South Park and Nickelodeon sadly.

That's part of the corporate crap that GT had no power to fight unfortunately. It's a shame because the player that was built by the GT Tech Team WORKED!!!, had dedicated in-house support thanks to GT's former webmaster Brent Phillips (SIFTD), and it WORKED!!!

Top Bottom