• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Aladuf

Banned
Dirtbag said:
Ya'll really thought so?
I didn't really notice anything different outside of texturing and added geometry outside of the original layout.
It's most noticable on Canals for me, in the back area past where the sniper spawns there was just little crawl spaces between the large columns and the back wall of the level in Gears 1, and now the same spots are very wide open. Another place that stuck out to me was the spawn, boomshot spawn, and inside of the house on Mansion, everything seems fairly wider.

Aladuf said:
It's most noticable on Canals for me, in the back area past where the sniper spawns there was just little crawl spaces between the large columns and the back wall of the level in Gears 1, and now the same spots are very wide open. Another place that stuck out to me was the spawn, boomshot spawn, and inside of the house on Mansion, everything seems fairly wider.
Side entrances to the Mansion itself was what I noticed the most.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Flashback maps look awesome and somewhat spot on. But in canals it seems they have removed some coverage. Nothing big

oh and chainsawing furniture is a plus. :lol

Chinner

Banned
II VerTigo II said:
Flashback maps look awesome and somewhat spot on. But in canals it seems they have removed some coverage. Nothing big

oh and chainsawing furniture is a plus. :lol
Chainsawing doors will look way more dramatic now. Never looked quite right in Gears 1 when he just held the chainsaw up and the furniture would just magically fall to bits.

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
Side entrances to the Mansion itself was what I noticed the most.
Also all the doorways seem bigger now so you shouldn't have any douchebags blocking the door making it impossible to get through if you pissed them off or whatever.

Kibbles

Gears 2 at a solid 95 rating on Metacritic. (3.5 user score, lol fanboy war)

IGN AU is the only site that gave it under a 9.

IGN AU gives it an 8.9

The same score they gave Halo 3 incidentally.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if that score is a little closer to my sentiments. This coming from someone who really liked but didn't absolutely love the original.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Chinner said:
Chainsawing doors will look way more dramatic now. Never looked quite right in Gears 1 when he just held the chainsaw up and the furniture would just magically fall to bits.

Now the question. When going for a chainsaw right by furniture, which one will you get? :lol

II VerTigo II said:
Now the question. When going for a chainsaw right by furniture, which one will you get? :lol

Well we all know that the furniture poses a bigger threat as it can give you splinters or something like that.

kaskade

I just realized that the game was coming out on Friday today and got really excited. For some reason I thought it was a Sunday. More games should just have street dates of Friday.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
ThePeacemaker02 said:
I just realized that the game was coming out on Friday today and got really excited. For some reason I thought it was a Sunday. More games should just have street dates of Friday.

No, more games should not have street dates. Once it's shipped to stores, let the stores sell them. Everybody gets money, we get the game, life is good.

Arnie

Wow the high side on Canals looks much roomier. I agree they have removed some subtle pieces of concealment, such as swapping a double sandbag barrier to a single concrete block on Canal's middle bridge. It looks so atmoshperic and cool, there is a blue icy glow as you stand at the high side with all the ice.

The ground floor of Mansion also looks alot roomier, whether that's because it is wider I just don't know.

JB1981

Good GS video review.

I'm strangely not all that excited for this game right now. Can't quite put my finger on it, really. I've been more excited about this game than anything all year too ..... hmm.

Great score from gamespot!!!

I'm not a huge fan of the Mansion redesign. It looks...visually less interesting. More vegatation but the lack of rain/slick textures and darkness removes a lot of personality from the map.

The Canals redesign looks somewhat empty as well...although I love the lack of bannisters on the stairway leading to sniper which hindered my rushes many times in the past.

I like how a lot of reviews only complain about a few vehicle controls and loose strands in the plot. Seems like the main gameplay is just really top notch.

Guled

Everytime I see this game it looks better and better, I like the fact that this (and RE5) come out on a Friday. Weekend Confirmed :D

Guled

whitehawk said:
About that..

RE5 isn't coming out until 2009
I know, but since both games come out on A friday I can play all weekend without consequences. What I'm saying is that its a nice change to see games come out on a Friday instead of tuesday, more games should do that

Voltron64

Is anyone in the LA area going to the official launch event at the Universal City Walk Gamestop? I'm trying to decide whether or not I should go. Might get a little too crowded for my tastes... Decisions, decisions.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Domino Theory said:
No, more games should not have street dates. Once it's shipped to stores, let the stores sell them. Everybody gets money, we get the game, life is good.

Fucking This. I live in Atlanta and there's NO mom and pop shops so all I have are the major retailers.

MercuryLS

Banned
1225742153.jpg

:eek:

:O

Aladuf

Banned
Digital Limit said:
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8214/bittertearsgm0.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
It's a stupid ass war between Sony fanboys and Microsoft fanboys, Resistance 2 and LBP have suffered the same shit. :/

J-Rzez

JB1981 said:
Good GS video review.

I'm strangely not all that excited for this game right now. Can't quite put my finger on it, really. I've been more excited about this game than anything all year too ..... hmm.

You've been Killzoned?

I'm just gameflying this. The first one ended fast (outside on the train looked great), and it's MP was shallow. Thus I'm not putting much faith into this. Also, I think a lot has to do that it doesn't have that zomg-graphical edge anymore. Along with what looks like more of the same sluggish gameplay. We'll see if they fixed it up. Co-op was a good time though.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Spartix said:
Does anybody know if the flashback maps are a LE exclusive or if they come in all versions of the game?

All new copies, regular or LE. Its to deter people from purchasing used copies.

cresto

Glad to hear that the HDD install helped with pop-in. This is probably the only game i will install (for now) since HDD space is so fucking limited. Dumb ass MS.

So much goodness, its hard to wait another full 4 days

Aladuf

Banned
ergo said:
So much goodness, its hard to wait another full 4 days
I'm counting it as 3 days since I'm going to the midnight launch. Only tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday to go until I snag it Thursday night/Friday morning. :D

I don't even count Thursday. If I can just get through tomorrow and Wednesday I'm ready to go.

I'll probably stay up all Wednesday night and morning and sleep until launch...its as close as I can get to freezing myself.

h3ro

Aladuf said:
I'm counting it as 3 days since I'm going to the midnight launch. Only tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday to go until I snag it Thursday night/Friday morning. :D

I hate you.

And for some reason, I really want to play with this Valvoga guy... :lol

Top Bottom