• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Tomcat

bumpkin said:
For those who have it and have given the campaign a whirl playing co-op, how exactly does the different difficulty thing work? I keep trying to tell the wife she should play it with me when I get it, but she's not very good at shooters and doesn't want to. Her excuse is something like "I'll get blown away in like ten seconds because you play it on the hardest difficulty settings." :lol

yes it works she can play on casual and you on hardcore
There is a campaign lobby for this stuff

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Damn. I gotta make into NYC by midnight Thursday. Can't wait. 'Tween Obama, this and then Dark Knight on 12/9, it's good times all over.

Aladuf

Banned
More stuff PXG wanted me to post:

Tell GAF:

I am currently on Act 3 chapter 4.

CRAZY shit happens. Constant action, but nice breaks when you need it. Campaign is superb

100_1533.jpg

100_1534.jpg

100_1535.jpg

100_1536.jpg

100_1539.jpg

Zezboob

I has my gears.
I love it.

But... there is no ingame option for muting players, specially the opposing team. Seriously Epic, it's not that hard to copy the good ideas from the other games.

zaidr

_dementia said:
You know what I've heard nothing about?

The screenshot function.

Any impressions? Was it cut to be patched in later when finished?

Still there. Tried it myslef...but I didn't have time to look at where to go and look at the screenshots from the game menu. I was just dicking around with the ghost cam, pressed b for no reason and it took a screenshot. You know whats weird? The game keeps going when you die in an offline bot match...so you gotta watch the bots make asses of themselves. Can anyone confirm if theres a way around that...where you can just press a button and make the computer calculate a winner instead of sit around watching bots?

J2d

Some random thoughts:

I don't get why I have to stick around for 20 secs after every game, just let me move on with the A button like before. Getting a game going doesn't feel quite as smooth as in pt:1 either. Otherwise I guess I should wait a couple of days until passing judgement on the online play but for now I'd rather have Gears 1 with a better connection.

Story is still pretty bad, I didn't like
how the dominic love story was handled (but it did make me appreciate good cutscenes). He finds her, blows her brains out and it just seems like another day on the frontlines after five minutes. I'm no expert in but I'd think that it would be a good idea to focus on dom in the end but instead I get a emotional Marcus over Anya who I still have no idea who she is. The lambent locust stuff felt pretty meh as well

Keikoku

Banned
Much than the story itself, the background is more developped. Cutscenes are better, too. So I think that this aspect of the franchise has truly been improved.

zaidr said:
Still there. Tried it myslef...but I didn't have time to look at where to go and look at the screenshots from the game menu. I was just dicking around with the ghost cam, pressed b for no reason and it took a screenshot. You know whats weird? The game keeps going when you die in an offline bot match...so you gotta watch the bots make asses of themselves. Can anyone confirm if theres a way around that...where you can just press a button and make the computer calculate a winner instead of sit around watching bots?
interesting.

Is it possible to do this in splitscreen?
P1 as the subject and P2 as the photographer would be cool.

Taurus

Played about 5 hours straight co-op campaign with friend.

As mentioned earlier, it's like Gears of War 1 but bigger, better and more bad-ass. Very memorable scenes, and the whole shooting thing feels so much better. In Gears 1 I had the feeling it'd be same if I threw rocks at enemies because the weapons were so weak.

Now it feels like the bullets actually do something.

Some complaining and random thoughts:
Going inside the huge worm thing? W-T-F? I thought it felt soooo out of place. All the "realistic" action so far and suddenly you are inside a giant worm wandering around and looking for heart(s) to destroy. Pretty ridiculous and somehow out of place IMHO.

Mortar is awesome, and definitely a match deciding factor in online multiplayer (if it's there, I haven't played online yet). Haven't tried Horde mode yet, but it's next thing to do, gametrailers review got me hyped about it!

More collectables is a very good and welcome improvement in my opinion. If you bother reading the journals and notes it gets you much deeper in to the world of Gears, just like in Resident Evil games.

Looking for some good teammates for Horde mode! Gamertag: W11kate

Costanza

Banned
Does anybody think they can get their hands on extra gold hammerburst codes from one of the midnight launches? I'd really like to get one :\

zaidr

_dementia said:
interesting.

Is it possible to do this in splitscreen?
P1 as the subject and P2 as the photographer would be cool.

Just thinking about this on a technical standpoint, but if you're playing the game at a specific resolution, and the engine just makes a record of whats on the framebuffer at that instant, would you get the half screen resolution, if you're doing it in split screen?

The system isn't like Halo's, where they create a screenshot based on the always-recording game data, but of the actual pixels in the framebuffer (something akin to FRAPS)...so, how would that work for split screen. You lucky ones, get to it! We need an answer!

bumpkin said:
For those who have it and have given the campaign a whirl playing co-op, how exactly does the different difficulty thing work? I keep trying to tell the wife she should play it with me when I get it, but she's not very good at shooters and doesn't want to. Her excuse is something like "I'll get blown away in like ten seconds because you play it on the hardest difficulty settings." :lol
Whoever is on Casual is god (ie, bullets do lots of damage and they take alot of bullets to kill) and whoever is on Insane is a pussy and dies in a few hits.

AirBrian

Costanza said:
Does anybody think they can get their hands on extra gold hammerburst codes from one of the midnight launches? I'd really like to get one :\
Wait, I thought those were just for pre-orders? Are they giving them out too at the midnight launches?

zaidr

_dementia said:
I see what I can do (I know the clerks).

Man online my RAAM is going to look so hilariously garish with his fucking bling gun.

If its not too much trouble, care to snag me a code too? If they really are giving them out, I would be very grateful.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
AirBrian said:
Wait, I thought those were just for pre-orders? Are they giving them out too at the midnight launches?

Only for midnight launches, except that some stores in Europe are givinggave them out earlier if they won't be having a midnight launch...

You don't get it for just pre-ordering...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
AirBrian said:

The hammerburst is just for the midnight launch.

I'd like to get a code if anyone ends up having a spare too, no one near here is having a launch then.

AirBrian

Skilotonn said:
Only for midnight launches, except that some stores in Europe are givinggave them out earlier if they won't be having a midnight launch...

You don't get it for just pre-ordering...
Papercuts said:

I'd like to get a code if anyone ends up having a spare too, no one near here is having a launch then.

Awesome. Thanks, guys!

And I'll try to get as many as they'll let me!

Papercuts said:

I kind of want one just because I feel like I'm missing out (my local Best Buy that I pre-ordered at for the Centaur isn't opening at midnight, otherwise I would be standing in line at 12:00).

But then again, I think the gold weapons look pretty damn ugly and can't imagine ever using them.

Teknoman

Taurus said:
Played about 5 hours straight co-op campaign with friend.

As mentioned earlier, it's like Gears of War 1 but bigger, better and more bad-ass. Very memorable scenes, and the whole shooting thing feels so much better. In Gears 1 I had the feeling it'd be same if I threw rocks at enemies because the weapons were so weak.

Now it feels like the bullets actually do something.

Some complaining and random thoughts:
Going inside the huge worm thing? W-T-F? I thought it felt soooo out of place. All the "realistic" action so far and suddenly you are inside a giant worm wandering around and looking for heart(s) to destroy. Pretty ridiculous and somehow out of place IMHO.

Mortar is awesome, and definitely a match deciding factor in online multiplayer (if it's there, I haven't played online yet). Haven't tried Horde mode yet, but it's next thing to do, gametrailers review got me hyped about it!

More collectables is a very good and welcome improvement in my opinion. If you bother reading the journals and notes it gets you much deeper in to the world of Gears, just like in Resident Evil games.

Looking for some good teammates for Horde mode! Gamertag: W11kate

Great. I like reading notes and whatnot in games. Especially those with really cool universes. Is there a Gears 2 gamertag topic yet?

ausoff2

Neo Member
I dont' think i've been playing for too long, but it's awesome. So awesome. I guess it's a testament to how cool it is that I don't actually know how long i've been playing.

Costanza said:

Wouldn't mind one too, only problem is that mine is reserved back at home, and I am an hour and half away at school, and I have class on Friday so I can't make it back in time for midnight madness. So sad. Also my 7-11 didn't have any so I need to look again tomorrow, if not, I'll just wait.

The Nature Roy said:
Not by a long shot actually.

Oh well US and Canada still do things whichever way they please.

Edit: Maybe its just that there aren't as many retail locations that all of them can be open, or who knows.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Nature Roy said:
I kind of want one just because I feel like I'm missing out (my local Best Buy that I pre-ordered at for the Centaur isn't opening at midnight, otherwise I would be standing in line at 12:00).

But then again, I think the gold weapons look pretty damn ugly and can't imagine ever using them.

Yeah, I don't think they look all that good anyway, but I'd still like one considering if there was a midnight launch I'd be there in a heartbeat. So now I not only don't get the gun, I have to wait until friday for the stores to open.

Lostconfused said:
Oh well US and Canada still do things whichever way they please.

Edit: Maybe its just that there aren't as many retail locations that all of them can be open, or who knows.
I'm kind of confused by which ones actually do it and which ones don't. Where I live none of the Best Buys near the big college campuses are opening, while a few others in the state are. Seems like a strange decision to me.

Does anyone know if actually calling a 7-11 to check to see if they have it would be a good idea, or would I be wasting my time, I found 2 more, one looks pretty fancy, not a normal building, but its a little bit away, I could probably make it in 20 minutes top on my bike but I'm not sure if I want to do it or not.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
+100 for my GameStop's lady manager, she's going to save a Golden Hammerburst code for me when I pick up my LE Friday morning. :D

Anyways, for those who have the game already: how do you unlock the Locust that has no upper body wear and has that Hammerhead-like head piece?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
CrazedArabMan said:
Does anyone know if actually calling a 7-11 to check to see if they have it would be a good idea, or would I be wasting my time, I found 2 more, one looks pretty fancy, not a normal building, but its a little bit away, I could probably make it in 20 minutes top on my bike but I'm not sure if I want to do it or not.

Calling them about it would only prompt them to and give them more time to inspect the package and discover the "DO NOT SELL" sticker. I would recommend just dropping in and trying to purchase it nonchalantly.

The Nature Roy said:
I'm kind of confused by which ones actually do it and which ones don't. Where I live none of the Best Buys near the big college campuses are opening, while a few others in the state are. Seems like a strange decision to me.

Edit2: NVM i think its just my failure at reading comprehension. Seems to be that everyone is opening at 12 for both. At least in Canada.

Top Bottom