• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Moofers

It might be a silly question, but are Horde skills like boosts? Meaning, do I loose the skill After using it for one game?

No, its a permanent progression system, not unlike an RPG. You level up each class separately by playing them and as you progress in level, you can equip 1 to 5 "skills" that get stronger by obtaining cards in the gear packs. So let's say you start with an Engineer with an ability to place stronger barricade fortifications and each time you get a card for that particular skill, you get closer to leveling it and reaching the next level of effectiveness. So your barriers will start with an added 20% health compared to anyone else's but then as you get barrier cards, it'll eventually get to 40%, 60% and so on.

The only "one time use" cards are for things like Mortar Strikes or Hammer of Dawn strikes that some of the classes get to use. They are really powerful "one time" attacks, like using a Mantis in Halo 5's Warzone Firefight or something.

I hope that makes sense!

bede-x

The only "one time use" cards are for things like Mortar Strikes or Hammer of Dawn strikes that some of the classes get to use. They are really powerful "one time" attacks, like using a Mantis in Halo 5's Warzone Firefight or something.

Are those one time use cards available for real money in the store, either individually or as part of booster packs?

i remember doing for Gears3, but all we had to do is this. is there no way do do this on XB1 and if there isnt what if we only platy gears on the console with no 4 other games to rotate?

Yeah I knew about the 360 clear cache but I don;t think the xbox one has that. I had more than 4 games so it was no problem for me. They said they are going to release a small title update to fix it but if people wanted to fix on there own they could do this trick. It fixed the stuttering for me mid match.

malfcn

Amazon is fucked up and not helping out.

Ordered a copy for my friend on Monday and it is being delivered on Monday. That's a week.
But I can order a copy from Amazon today and have it delivered on Saturday. That's 2 days.

Does the credit system make it essentially impossible to get an elite pack in a reasonable time period? Has everyone just been buying the Operations Pack for the customization card?

aBarreras

weapons changing at inopportune times, other team having better weapons, etc

just more chance/chaos in a game that already has enough chance and chaos

well thats the game, i like chaos, never really liked warzone or execution, i always tend to go to KOTH or TDM so arms race is even more chaotic and i like it

So is anyone on PC able to find a game in Escalation? I've been trying for the past hour... It'll wait like 4-5 mins and then it'll say it "timed out" so i have to search again... UGH

bede-x

Yeah, but I believe they only come randomly in the booster packs.

Still bothers me unfourtunately. Pay to win elements shouldn't be a part of this.

That said I'm enjoying myself tremendously. Campaign is awesome, Horde is still great and it's just a nice package with lots of stuff to do, just as Gears should be.

If there's one thing I'd like to see them change, it would be splitscreen. For some reason big budget titles often decide to not use the entire screen, while smaller developers like Sandlot or Koei understand that things become a tad difficult to see, if you don't use every inch of the screen. I still appreciate that it's there at all and it runs wonderfully on my PC (mostly 60fps with ultra settings at 1080p with 20% resolution scaling allowed), but next time Coalition, take a look at Earth Defense Force 4.1 to see how it should be done.

I'm kinda surprised that it didn't review better. Usually I find AAA titles to be very overrated, but this deserves to score higher, especially in comparison with its peers. Easily the best AAA title this year IMO.

Edzi

Is there no easy way to highlight people in your party? The best I could figure out was holding LB to see people's names, but that seems less than ideal if I just want to recognize/stick with my buddies.

Xyber

So is anyone on PC able to find a game in Escalation? I've been trying for the past hour... It'll wait like 4-5 mins and then it'll say it "timed out" so i have to search again... UGH

Nope, have been trying for about 2 hours in total since launch and nothing so far. I only search in the evening too.

So fun when you get into games with 3v5, shit happens way too often. Ranked shouldn't even start if not all players join in..

Man, bit of negativity in here. I'm thinking I might wait until November to pick up the blue console bundle. Hopefully shit has been sorted out by then.

Jobbs

Banned
Man, bit of negativity in here. I'm thinking I might wait until November to pick up the blue console bundle. Hopefully shit has been sorted out by then.

Game is absolutely fantastic. Only problem is the hitching/stuttering which is annoying but not impossible to deal with (XB1).

I literally can't
destroy the motherfucking turret in act IV. The wind fucks up my shot every time and feels like it's different. I have no idea where to aim.

UberLevi

I literally can't
destroy the motherfucking turret in act IV. The wind fucks up my shot every time and feels like it's different. I have no idea where to aim.

Hold the trigger down to charge the shot farther. Aim at the far right and the wind will blow it into the tower a few times, which will fall onto the turret emplacement.

Sturtiebe

Am I the only one that find that the Gnasher is so inaccurate ? Its so random. One time I shot them instant dead and the other time i need 3 bullets before they go down.

I literally can't

make sure to shoot the bombs, me and my friend were stuck here for awhile. Marcus kept yelling "shoot the bombs" and we kept doing that. Unbeknownst to us he literally meant to shoot the bomb in order to make it catch fire.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just finished the campaign, I liked it a lot, but I will stop short of loving it.

Missing some of the enemy variety that Gears had worked it's way up to, some of the environments couldve been more varied as well.

That said, I really liked the characters, the graphics were very competitive, and the ending was well done.

That said, I wish I knew more coming out of finishing the game than I did reading the back of the box. But hey, they've got their hooks in me.

Excellent first run by The Coalition. I'm there day 0 for Gears 5.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Has anyone noticed how good the sounds mix is in the game? The sound field on my home cinema system is fantastic, with constant good use of the surround channels. It's actually better than a lot of blu rays I have watched.

aBarreras

Is this in multiplayer? I'm not getting this in campaign and I'm very sensitive to it.

its just a freezing sluttering at the start of the matches, and sometimes mid-match that its fixed by opening 4 other games on Xbox 1, or redownloading the game

You have to be an engineer and it replaces your pistol.

anyone can buy the repair gun, and they are talking about the campaign/single player

Madness

Amazon Canada still has not shipped my fucking game. 1.5 years preordered. The western canada amazon warehouse is 20 minutes from my house and the canada post sort facility is 25 minutes. They're purposely sitting on it because I am not a Prime user and they're ruining launch week.

Hale_C

So, the atrocious matchmaking on pc (unable to consistently find even a full 10 players for social quickplay, there's always bots in the mix, and I've never actually been able to join a game from the core list)... Is this due to a lack of players? Or some other issue? Can there really be so few players?

edit: Oh, and for the gears MP noob, just getting used to gnasher dominance, it's pretty surprising that the 'shot not counting/being fired' bug is so prevalent. This was common in previous games in the series too?

leng jai

Has anyone noticed how good the sounds mix is in the game? The sound field on my home cinema system is fantastic, with constant good use of the surround channels. It's actually better than a lot of blu rays I have watched.

It's quite nice sounding, and a big step up from Epic's sound mixing for Gears. The sound design of the old games really didn't have much to them - they were just constantly loud and overly bassy without much nuance. Gears 4 sounds more "open", more atmospheric with its use of ambient noise and it's just a fairly well balanced sound scape. It's still very bombastic and retains all of the signature gear sounds like the active reload and headshot splatter. The cutscenes in particular sound great.

The only real downgrade to me is that the chunky movement sounds of the gears isn't as satisfying this time around. That, and the soundtrack is fairly average with nothing standing out.

So, the atrocious matchmaking on pc (unable to consistently find even a full 10 players for social quickplay, there's always bots in the mix, and I've never actually been able to join a game from the core list)... Is this due to a lack of players? Or some other issue? Can there really be so few players?

edit: Oh, and for the gears MP noob, just getting used to gnasher dominance, it's pretty surprising that the 'shot not counting/being fired' bug is so prevalent. This was common in previous games in the series too?

Probably lack of players, at least for the core playlists.

Outside of the execution I just got into, I've only been able to play social or TDM on PC.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

All the complaints are really just nitpicks because there's some things that could be better. The core game is amazing and totally playable.

aBarreras

Should I always do operations over elite pack?

Does level/xp mean anything?

operation packs give you 4 random cards, and a 1 customization pack

elites give you 5 customization packs,

depends on what you want, if you want to unlock a skin or a character, go for the elite, if you want just random cards, then operations

Vico

No, its a permanent progression system, not unlike an RPG. You level up each class separately by playing them and as you progress in level, you can equip 1 to 5 "skills" that get stronger by obtaining cards in the gear packs. So let's say you start with an Engineer with an ability to place stronger barricade fortifications and each time you get a card for that particular skill, you get closer to leveling it and reaching the next level of effectiveness. So your barriers will start with an added 20% health compared to anyone else's but then as you get barrier cards, it'll eventually get to 40%, 60% and so on.

I hope that makes sense!

Yeah, that's exactly what I wanted to know! Seems like I'll have to develop my engineer skills then. Thanks!

Top Bottom