• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

UncleMeat

As a fairly average gears player I have to say I always enjoy playing against all the new people during launch week, it won't be this good again until Christmas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbbhgKofFYs

In this second clip a guy misses me twice as I'm picking up ammo from point blank, in the third a dude has his gnasher in my back but decides to melee instead. lol!

GametimeUK

Really bored of shooting these generic robots now. The game needs to switch it up asap. It's just constant robots falling from the sky. Let me do something else.

Mechazawa

It's Friday night on the launch week, and I can't find a match in either Core Dodgeball or Ranked Execution. Pretty sure only the Social Quickplay and TDM hoppers have any activity.

RIP Gears 4 PC. You were never even alive.

Sydle

Finally got to start the campaign tonight after a tough work week. I was afraid that I might be a bit burnt out having played the first three games for the first time June through September this year, but I love it!

Agentnibs

Only campaign, horde and private matches. You play on PC or Xbox?

That's interesting, I play on PC.

I'm impressed with with the PC port, Im playing on an ancient 7870 and im getting very playable framerates on high-ish settings(averaging 50-60fps) at least according to the benchmark. Ultra is averaging 30fps, which is super awesome for campaign gameplay considering this card.

For online I'll have to play medium though, but the game still looks pretty good!

BHK3

Banned
total group of strangers, all xbox players

we make it to wave 45, highest I've been was 27, these guys are actually good at the game(first I've come across)

one bails because the guardians just rip you to shreds and their shields are too tanky

slowly one by one the rest leave

what did I do in another life to deserve this

total group of strangers, all xbox players

we make it to wave 45, highest I've been was 27, these guys are actually good at the game(first I've come across)

one bails because the guardians just rip you to shreds and their shields are too tanky

slowly one by one the rest leave

what did I do in another life to deserve this
Join in progress needs to be a thing in horde, one person leaving pretty much ruins the whole game.

kobu

Caught me off guard too. I thought we were at the start of something big as well. Was getting ready for an epic ending.

I need to sleep on it because right now I'm thinking the campaign was hot garbage. Can't believe this shit still let me down after the trash that was mafia.

BrumGB

I've been playing coop with a friend over cross play. It seems there is a problem with the PC version loading super quick compared to myself. Me and a friend had this issue for half an hour or so Instadeath.

Bonus: The texture streaming on this bit of the campaign is worse than GOW 1 pop-in.

Enjoying it so far though. Horde is addictive.

ss_lemonade

So apparently I can't start the game anymore on my laptop? It was working just fine earlier while I was checking out the ingame benchmark but I had to restart my laptop and now, it just keeps asking for an Update that needs to be downloaded from the Store. I head to the store and it does look like its downloading something but it just keeps stopping randomly and sometimes giving me a "error, see log" message (where's the log?). I don't even know how large the download is because the total download size number goes up together with how much I've already downloaded.

How do I access Zombie JD from the Totino's code? It said it would be in my Ready to Install and...nope. He's not selectable in my customization screen so I'm assuming I still have to download him somehow.

edit: Never mind. Looks like I had to back out of the Customization screen a couple times before he became available. *shrug*

Rocketz

Well I joined my buddies and we beat all 50 waves in horde mode except I didn't join until the 4th round so I didn't get the achievement :/

kingwingin

How longs does it take to plow through 50 waves of horde on normal? I see there is an achievment for beating 50 waves on all launch maps, are they removing launch maps when the dlc releases? Or is it just dlc maps that rotate out.

Dont want to start up horde just yet as i have exams soon, just wondering

cackhyena

Campaign was so good, quite possibly my favorite of the series.
So I'm only in the second part of Act 2, but I'm dumbfounded how people say this. I'm hoping it seriously picks up in the back half. So far fighting these robots isn't fun and there has been nothing unique to make me think anything beyond the great visuals couldn't have been done in an earlier Gears. I'm just kinda blah on it so far. Didn't expect this.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
So I'm only in the second part of Act 2, but I'm dumbfounded how people say this. I'm hoping it seriously picks up in the back half. So far fighting these robots isn't fun and there has been nothing unique to make me think anything beyond the great visuals couldn't have been done in an earlier Gears. I'm just kinda blah on it so far. Didn't expect this.

DBs seem very divisive. I personally love them, they change up the combat from the Locust abd Swarm a hood bit. Ive seen others express your opinion tho.

kobu

Been thinking the same thing since I beat the game. If you dialed back the graphics a bit you could have told me this game came out in 07 and I would believe you.

bede-x

consensus wise, is this better than GOW 3? or too early to make a judgement

Don't think there's any consensus yet, but if you're a Gears fan, you should definitely give it a shot. We'll see how it stacks up to the old games in the long run, to me the important part is that Gears is in good hands with The Coalition. They became my favorite MS studio with this release and I can't wait to see where they take the franchise next.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
consensus wise, is this better than GOW 3? or too early to make a judgement

I'd say Gears 3 was much better, just with campaign variety, graphical fidelity was more impresive for its time, story was longer and more expansive.

That said, I still liked 4 a lot more than I thought I would, and definitely recommend it to fans of the series.

Haines

Banned
I've only really played the mp but it's crazy to me how much this doesn't feel like a copycat of gears it feels like the real deal.

tuna_love

Banned
Been thinking the same thing since I beat the game. If you dialed back the graphics a bit you could have told me this game came out in 07 and I would believe you.

can you name one new game that if you dialled back the graphics, couldnt be done in 07?

I'm in love with the Overkill in multiplayer. I just melted 3 people, all headshots, within 4 seconds with this thing. It's probably my new favorite Gears power-weapon.

AlexBasch

I know, I know, don't play with randoms.

But do people know what King of the Hill means?

As in, capture the fucking rings instead of leaving me alone and getting bumrushed by four guys of the opposite team?

Jesus.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My main disappointment with the campaign is that it's ultimately short and lacks set pieces compared to Gears 1 - 3. There's less chapters per act, overall less characters, and surprisingly less plot. It's clear this is being treated as nothing but a prologue to a new trilogy. So overall, the campaign, while pretty and having nice weather sequences, feels shallow compared to the really big Gears 2 and 3.

Didn't help that part of an act was wasted on a dumb, Bayonetta-esque motorcycle sequence that should have been cut on the drawing board, IMO. Big disappointment after the vehicle levels of other Gears games.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
so how good of a protagonist is JD, he just screams "GENERIC" to me

I didn't expect to like him, but for the most part (aside from a specific story beat) I liked him a lot.

Voice actor sounded a lot like Buck from ODST, who's actual name is escaping me right now.

kobu

can you name one new game that if you dialled back the graphics, couldnt be done in 07?

The reality is anything could have been done in 07 with dialed back graphics. My point was that the game didn't really try to do anything new to make it stand out from the other games.
I'm honestly not mad because it's a new studio and they probably just wanted to make sure they got things right the first time around. If the next game is more of this shit they can let the series die for all I care.

just played through the campaign, was super satisfying.

enjoyed the general encounters, boss fights, set pieces, and especially the main characters [less "stereotype cheesy", actually a few funny quips and jokes in the dialogue].

graphics were alright [on a beast rig PC], some moments really wowed me - main takeaway is that unreal engine 4 is super... clean.

can create some really pretty moments but overall just enjoyed the consistency of the visuals.

Top Bottom