• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

IMACOMPUTA

Is it just me or are the mouse/keyboard controls completely terrible?
Completely cumbersome and not well thought out. It feels like shit on here.

Kind of has me in a spot where multiplayer sucks because I want to use a controller, but can't hang against mouse users if I do.

Someone really needs to figure out this controller on PC thing.

I keep getting throw in the most unbalanced social matches tonight. I get people are quitting and I'm being put on the trash team, but it was like 4 games in a row. lol

Kind of has me in a spot where multiplayer sucks because I want to use a controller, but can't hang against mouse users if I do.

had this problem with gears: ue, so ultimately just gave up.

gamepad felt better, but kb/m players were pwning me left right and center.

it's weird cause on halo 5 forge customs, gamepad players MELT kb/m users...

about to jump into mp on gears 4 for the first time [just finished campaign], wish me luck?

:/

BHK3

Banned

feel the same way, including Gears of war Ultimate edition. I sorta got use to it but having a big ass space bar be my run and roll and cover all in one button feels worse compared to a controller. I've sorta been holding my own in multiplayer but people doing hair pin 180 turns in 1 shot shotgun kills does make it seem unfair.

If I could disable the trackpad on the DS4 I would, in case they ever do make a controllers only thing on pc gears. Whenever I touch it the game thinks im on M/KB so I dont want it to mess with it.

Also horde on casual is a total snoozefest, wish the waves would go by faster.

The reality is anything could have been done in 07 with dialed back graphics. My point was that the game didn't really try to do anything new to make it stand out from the other games.
I'm honestly not mad because it's a new studio and they probably just wanted to make sure they got things right the first time around. If the next game is more of this shit they can let the series die for all I care.
Why does every game need to do something new to stand out? Gears fans want more Gears, we don't need a genre change just for the sake of being new.

Gears Judgment tried to do something new and stand out and surprise, no one gives a shit about the game

nOoblet16

If you guys are getting owned left and right by KB/M player while using a controller then that's more on your ability than anything else tbh. You should undoubtedly have an advantage in movement, yes mouse can aim better but you still need movement to get close in the first place.

Those KB/M players are using the same control scheme that you believe are crap and cumbersome. There are people here at the same time who say they are doing well with a controller on PC.

Upinsmoke

I played gears 3 and judgement using the bc function in the xbox and tbh I couldn't cope, it felt horrible, are the games bundled with gears 4 just bc versions or are the actually made for x1? I had the gears 1 remaster and it felt fine.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I played gears 3 and judgement using the bc function in the xbox and tbh I couldn't cope, it felt horrible, are the games bundled with gears 4 just bc versions or are the actually made for x1? I had the gears 1 remaster and it felt fine.

Was it the frame rate? Or the resolution?

The ones included with Gears 4 are just the BC digital copies.

I dunno if it's because of the XBO S or if they updated the game, but Gears 3 seemed to run better for me the other night than it did a few months ago.

Leyasu

Banned
CoD Zombies better than Gears horde lol. Amazing obliviousness.

It's a shocking post.

I am getting unable to connect to Gears of War services in the UK.

Anyone else having trouble?

I'm in the UK and it's connecting fine (ranked TDM)

Im from the UK as well. You guys need to add me. I'm mediocre too at versus, but a horde king lol.

Let's get a Gears GAF party going for some Core modes. Send me an invite or FR....GT is dubz on3. Please have a mic.

I'm a mediocre player.

Xbox One.

Liaten to this man. Get on gearsgaf! We can things going some evenings, afternoons, weekends.

Had 3 people quit before we even got to wave 5

That fucking pisses me right off. Your basically fucked and need to start again. Get on gearsgaf.

total group of strangers, all xbox players

we make it to wave 45, highest I've been was 27, these guys are actually good at the game(first I've come across)

one bails because the guardians just rip you to shreds and their shields are too tanky

slowly one by one the rest leave

what did I do in another life to deserve this

Horde needs pre-made groups.

DBs seem very divisive. I personally love them, they change up the combat from the Locust abd Swarm a hood bit. Ive seen others express your opinion tho.

I like the DeeBees as well.

Fuck everything about 3-3 on Insane solo. Just fuck it.
lol

My GT is Van Winkel x send me a friend request. For info, I'll be on from 3pm EU time or 2pm UK time this afternoon for some versus (silver TDM) or horde. I will have roughly 3 hours until the kids wake up, so possibly enough time for a horde run.

5 of us with mics would make a great afternoon I imagine.

Sorry for the big arse multi quote wall

kobu

Why does every game need to do something new to stand out? Gears fans want more Gears, we don't need a genre change just for the sake of being new.

Gears Judgment tried to do something new and stand out and surprise, no one gives a shit about the game

I just don't see the point in releasing a new game if it's not going to do anything different. No developer wants to keep remaking the same game forever.

JimiNutz

Banned
I played MP until around 4am last night.
I was doing really badly towards the end but I just couldn't drag myself away... Went from a 1.3 K/D in ranked to like a 0.88 K/D because I was playing so badly but I still couldn't quit...

Anyway, I'm def looking for some good GAF team mates that will help me get better! Im in the UK so UK players preferred - Is there any chance we can set up a UKGearsGAF group? Does such a thing already exist?

I'm determined to get better at this game and although close to giving up, would be great to play with some UK Gaffers and improve with them!

aBarreras

I just don't see the point in releasing a new game if it's not going to do anything different. No developer wants to keep remaking the same game forever.

well you have a FIFA, NHL, NFL, NBA bla bla bla, every fucking year, and you dont see fans complaining?

so if we get a gears game every 3 gears we will of course be happy even if ti doesnt change the fucking game to be a first person shooter

leng jai

So I'm only in the second part of Act 2, but I'm dumbfounded how people say this. I'm hoping it seriously picks up in the back half. So far fighting these robots isn't fun and there has been nothing unique to make me think anything beyond the great visuals couldn't have been done in an earlier Gears. I'm just kinda blah on it so far. Didn't expect this.

First 3 hours or so are pretty mediocre. Picks up immensely at around Act 3. I'm also baffled at how people who were blown away by the start of the game.

Leyasu

Banned
I played MP until around 4am last night.
I was doing really badly towards the end but I just couldn't drag myself away... Went from a 1.3 K/D in ranked to like a 0.88 K/D because I was playing so badly but I still couldn't quit...

Til 4am. Makes me wonder if they don't pull a 343 and open up the matchmaking regions. It could explain the inconsistencies people are experiencing. And TC that post here wanna confirm if it remains region filtered.

Anyway, I'm def looking for some good GAF team mates that will help me get better! Im in the UK so UK players preferred - Is there any chance we can set up a UKGearsGAF group? Does such a thing already exist?

I'm determined to get better at this game and although close to giving up, would be great to play with some UK Gaffers and improve with them!

I'll make a ukgearsgaf club later unless someone else wants to

Theorry

Til 4am. Makes me wonder if they don't pull a 343 and open up the matchmaking regions. It could explain the inconsistencies people are experiencing. And TC that post here wanna confirm if it remains region filtered.

I am sure when you see "expanding player pool" it happens?

Jumeira

Banned
so how good of a protagonist is JD, he just screams "GENERIC" to me
He has Character, I'm really liking the new gen cast. Lots of banter and jokes.

Been thinking the same thing since I beat the game. If you dialed back the graphics a bit you could have told me this game came out in 07 and I would believe you.
Can say that about any game. it's a useless statement. The wind flares would not be possible in 98 though, the physics in these scenario switch up the game quite a bit.

Jumeira

Banned
Got this for free on PC from a friend (nvidia code).

What should I expect, never played GoW. I assume co-op is must.
Id say Solo then co-op on replay. I feel like I'm rushed in co-op, and continuous chatter with your friend means you'll potentially miss story elements. I also play with an impatient friend who doest allow me the time to simple stop shooting and scan the gorgeous environments...can be frustrating.

im sorry but on the first video you just missed like 3 of the 5 shots you did S: im surprised you even killed that cait

Look closer. She bled on every hit. Heck, on that third shot, whether that was my or her blood, one of us should've been gibbed instantly. But neither of us died, and two more shots were fired from each of us before the trade occurred. That's extremely bad, and should never happen. But somehow, five games into this series, bad Gnasher hit detection is still a regularity.

Worse yet was that match had plenty of "I'm twenty feet away from this guy, but he's shooting me and dealing around 80% damage while I'm doing around 20% per shot". The Gnasher needs work, and I'm kinda fucking appalled that the beta held months ago did little to improve its consistency.

Theorry

Id say Solo then co-op on replay. I feel like I'm rushed in co-op, and continuous chatter with your friend means you'll potentially miss story elements. I also play with an impatient friend who doest allow me the time to simple stop shooting and scan the gorgeous environments...can be frustrating.

Yeah i had that with Halo 5. That was even 4 player and was even worse. Two buddies of mine were talking all the time and rushing and not caring about the story. Wich sucked.
So i stopped and played the first time just alone. And later again on coop on the highest difficulty.

Looking for some U.K./eu people to do play the campaign with on hardcore or insane. Hardcore seems easy but not tries insane going off this thread it seems well insane.

Also I was playing a little on pc last night and the person I matched with looked like he was moving at half the frame rate or lagging? Was I matched with a console player?

What's good mouse settings? I found the default to be way to sensitive so just used a 360 controller.

kobu

well you have a FIFA, NHL, NFL, NBA bla bla bla, every fucking year, and you dont see fans complaining?

so if we get a gears game every 3 gears we will of course be happy even if ti doesnt change the fucking game to be a first person shooter

Not sure why you're acting like I want the game to be an fps. It's been 10 years since the first game so I don't see what's so offensive with wanting them to try something a little different.

I'll say what I said in the lead up to launch. Gears of War is a cover-based shooter, if you're sick of them, this game isn't for you but I think you'd be a bit ignorant to say it doesn't do anything new.

New characters, new enemies, new weapons, new mechanics, new game modes, new prodcedural weather system etc.

I also think the pace of the game has been tweaked with more destructible cover, more dynamic cover (there's a room in Act 4 that really pushes this idea) and a close-cover-combat system that really speeds the game up and encourages players to be more aggressive.

It plays better than any of the other games in coop with monsters like the pouncher and snatcher really demanding coordination.

Horde and MP have received an extensive re-tooling too.

It's still a cover-based shooter though and if you want something different, then maybe this game isn't for you but that doesn't mean it's not doing new things.

That's not to say it's perfect, but after 10 years, there's still not a single game that does what it does better. I want evolution but in a smart way and this is it so far.

Rod has already said to expect bigger changes in the next game.

As for how this stacks up against the rest of the series, I'd say it has a better campaign than Gears of War 3 and a better MP component than Gears of War 2.

Gears of War 4 feels pretty similar to the original but I think it has a better MP than the first game. However, I will say the former has some of my least favourite maps.

Impact is a camper's paradise and your spawn protection will run out just in time to get killed.

Upinsmoke

Was it the frame rate? Or the resolution?

The ones included with Gears 4 are just the BC digital copies.

I dunno if it's because of the XBO S or if they updated the game, but Gears 3 seemed to run better for me the other night than it did a few months ago.

It just felt sluggish, I think it was the frame rate.

My main disappointment with the campaign is that it's ultimately short and lacks set pieces compared to Gears 1 - 3. There's less chapters per act, overall less characters, and surprisingly less plot. It's clear this is being treated as nothing but a prologue to a new trilogy. So overall, the campaign, while pretty and having nice weather sequences, feels shallow compared to the really big Gears 2 and 3.

Didn't help that part of an act was wasted on a dumb, Bayonetta-esque motorcycle sequence that should have been cut on the drawing board, IMO. Big disappointment after the vehicle levels of other Gears games.

Is this going to be a trilogy or an ongoing narrative going forward? Halo 4 was going to be the launch point of 343's trilogy, but I don't think they'll be able to wrap up their story by Halo 6. They may try to, but I get the sense that the writers wrote themselves into a corner.

So uhh that
Swarmak

Playing it on Hardcore on Coop and man, it just seems like the most hopeless thing in the world to beat. Can't aim properly at the blisters without getting shot to shit and then the juvies come and....dude this might be the worst section in this entire game so far. I hate this.

It's taking us HOURS.

Insane is really hilarious. I like how you get randomly one-shot killed.

The game is good so far, but I wish it was released in Summer so that I can get more into multiplayer and coop. A complaint that I always have about the new gears is the damn aesthetics/atmosphere; I would like something gritty and grim like GoW1. The latter obviously had an inexperienced team with a new console, but there is something about the art direction, textures, settings and level design in GoW 1 that makes it very unique.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So uhh that
Swarmak

Playing it on Hardcore on Coop and man, it just seems like the most hopeless thing in the world to beat. Can't aim properly at the blisters without getting shot to shit and then the juvies come and....dude this might be the worst section in this entire game so far. I hate this.

It's taking us HOURS.

Try to pop the chin blister first, as that's the hardest one to get. You need a precise hit for that. But yes later on it can get chaotic, as you can get boxed in by enemies. Try to focus on the boss as much as possible.

Beat my final remaining chapter for the co op achievement yesterday. There was definitely something funky going on with the public game function (at least on pc). So many disconnects and dropping me in chapters I didn't select. This was way smoother in the previous games.

If I play co-op again it'll definitely be with someone in my friend list/invite.

Ugh campaign match making sucks.keeps putting me on difficulties or acts that I do not want. I want prologue on hardcore.

Oh okay, so finally more posts on this! Felt like I was alone when I posted this a few pages ago. It's really annoying when you get dropped into chapters you didn't select. Sometimes you get booted to menu anyway, so you don't even have to quit.

Getting to prologue on hardcore... took me ages. The hardest part of my hardcore co op run was getting a prologue match :p

vort3x

So uhh that
Swarmak

It's taking us HOURS.

Try to pop the chin blister first, as that's the hardest one to get. You need a precise hit for that.

We beat it without destroying the chin blister. There are two big blisters on his back. if you can get those you don't have to worry about the chin. just keep doing the coils as well as blisters and you should be fine. The easiest way to beat it is by using all the power weapons laid out for you around the map. There's a couple of boomshots and torque bows and even a mulcher. Keep a lancer as primary because it's much easier to just chainsaw the juvies rather than trying to shoot them, also stay as close to ai as possible. They hardly go down and will almost always make your revive a priority over everything else. I gotta say man the friendly ai in this game is way above the other gears. Although Del can be a dumbass sometimes and take on the psions head-on and then gets downed in the later battles quite frequently.

well if you or anyone is interesting in doing the campaign from start on hardcore give me a shout.

I finished the campaign on Hardcore solo already but if anyone want to do coop on Hardcore or Insane for fun then just add me.

EU gmt + 2 timezone here, gamertag: wandrigdeb1

I am a Gears noob and may not be available much though, full time work and all that ;_;

Tal

The difficulty spike from hardcore to insane seems pretty huge. I started on insane and had to turn it down cause I couldn't finish the prologue, but hardcore is a little too easy.

vac

Neo Member
What's the highest you can rank in placement matches? I obliterated all 5, and won 4 of them but still only got silver 1? :p

Also, the 5th match was intense as fuck, constant back and forth:
hTxzeE4.jpg

Top Bottom