• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think the Gnasher feels solid here. If anything one thing that I was never a fan of that never changed was the way actives work, I feel like this contributes a lot to the feeling of inconsistency/randomness due to the power increase and not knowing if someone has an active ready. Like watching streams and seeing people get blasted from a decent distance and going "I WISH MY SHOTGUN DID THAT" when they probably just had an active ready. This stands out a bit more in 4 to me since you can just reload without firing at all for the buff. You can basically just wait to the side of a wall, reload your shotty and then engage on someone.

I love the reload mechanic itself but even in 1 I found the buff so weird, you already get a benefit from the fast reload, I personally always wish it stayed at that.

I just opened two e-sport pack and got Kait on the second package. So happy! xD

7HBxSRS.png

sic50Lc.png

leng jai

Horde 3.0 is absolutely incredible but without mid game joining it's useless for solo players. They need to add that in as soon as possible.

How does the Gnasher feel to everyone so far?

I feel like it's good most times, and then has a couple bullshit moments here and there. Both on my side and the enemies'.

EDIT: This coming from someone who is a Gears MP noob.

Five games in and they can't seem to decide on a consistent damage dropoff profile, or whether my shots connect at all.

Meanwhile shitty shotgun hit detection proves to be a thing games like Halo and Call of Duty don't worry about at all.

Shoots 6 times.

You did 6% in 1 hit.

Augh.

Point blank an enemy.

You did 70% damage in 1 hit.

ClearData

So I am trying to play cooperative campaign with my brother. We are both on PC and he keeps getting a connection timed out message. I'm able to invite him and we can hear each other in chat. But he gets booted when I start the campaign. Any tips?

Novocaine

Just beat my first game of Horde. Was with 5 random people, one guy left after wave 10 but we stuck though and honestly it was pretty smooth sailing. Feels good.

Trojan

I love Arms Race. Such a cool mode that constantly forces you to adapt your strategy based on your weapon and the opponents' weapon.

Les

Banned
so it turns out my lil Dell XPS laptop can run this on pc rather well.

I'm crushing people with the Xbox controller, its really not close.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
wow they really improved the multiplayer visuals after the beta. it looks like a completely different game now

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
(Act 4, Final Ch. spoilers)

The
Swarmak
fight is the fucking WORST.

I cannot imagine this on higher difficulties. It's fucking ridiculous on normal for me.

EDIT: Sorry, spoil tagged.

leng jai

wow they really improved the multiplayer visuals after the beta. it looks like a completely different game now

Yep, thankfully. The beta looked terrible but the end product is quite nice. Even split screen Horde doesn't look terrible but too bad the frame rate stinks.

NullMoon

Neo Member
Ran 2 player Horde on Hardcore cause everyone quit before wave ten however we got to wave 41 and the guy quits, now I'm trying to solo it. This sucks.

balohna

Anyone else find you'll sometimes die before you see the other person actually animate as killing you? Mostly gnasher. Like, I'll think I got the drop on someone because they're looking away and... oh now I'm dead, and NOW they're looking at me. I feel like I need to just assume they do see me and will shoot as soon as they're able, even if it looks like they don't see me.

Leyasu

Banned
Anyone else find you'll sometimes die before you see the other person actually animate as killing you? Mostly gnasher. Like, I'll think I got the drop on someone because they're looking away and... oh now I'm dead, and NOW they're looking at me. I feel like I need to just assume they do see me and will shoot as soon as they're able, even if it looks like they don't see me.

Happened to me last night. I would love to know if this really is region filtered matchmaking.

Played the fuck out of team deathmatch today. Last week I was hardly able to get a single kill, but today I've been doing very really well. Any tips?

Also, how do you get earn credits? And what's the XP for? Are those two different things?

ElRenoRaven

(Act 4, Final Ch. spoilers)

The
Swarmak
fight is the fucking WORST.

I cannot imagine this on higher difficulties. It's fucking ridiculous on normal for me.

EDIT: Sorry, spoil tagged.

I enjoyed it. In fact I've enjoyed everything in the game. I just finished Act 4 myself and I'm kind of sad it's coming to an end soon. This is probably my favorite after the first gears.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Just finished the campaign and gotta say I loved it all for the most part.

But man, that ending. C'mon Coalition.

Xater

Wow, lucky you! I'd love to have Black Steel Kait but for a $10 pack the odds are just not good enough.

Have they even said whether there will be Gears 3 style character and weapon skin DLC that doesn't have the RNG element?

Yeah don't do it. I was an idiot and actually bought 3 of these in the hopes of a character. Didn't get a single one.

SlickVic

There's three. The next one is in Act 3, and the final one is in Act 5.

Interesting. I didn't mind the first one, felt like a decent way to introduce players to Horde Mode. I wasn't really expecting the campaign to have more of them. I kind of prefer them just leaving those mechanics to Horde Mode, but I guess I'll have to play the next two and see how I like it.

Has anyone done any calculations on how long it takes you to get a pack to open?

This seems way way worse than overwatch in that respect. Overwatch I know i'm getting a pack every 2 hours at least, this seems much much slower.

Been playing the campaign on PC, and oh my god the sound is incredible. When the planes go overhead and drop those pods.. just stunning.

Also I feel like one of the lead designers of this game must have had this make a big impression on them as a kid.

cont3-3.gif

There were multiple moments where I felt like I was playing next gen contra, lol.

Tecnniqe

Banned
as long as its just cosmetic I don't care about any of it. When it becomes gameplay related I'll just stop playing the game.

I actually don't mind buying these now and again as long as they don' t give gameplay advantages.

They don't but you're better off donating to the pro scene. If this is how its gonna get funded, they're already milking people (good luck when the "casuals" leave).

$10 gives you a RNG chance of 2 CASH ONLY skins, that also drops dupes in the same pack.

You also can not craft them in game, and after Oct16th they are permanently gone as a item to get.

Not to mention these are the best skins so far, behind a $10 RNG paywall which means you'll easily end up paying $300 if you want all of them. Disgusting display.

I was ready for some horde today, but I'm just gonna go play BF1 instead, I feel fucked over everywhere in this game, even my horde progression is halted due to these fucking Hordepacks.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Ran 2 player Horde on Hardcore cause everyone quit before wave ten however we got to wave 41 and the guy quits, now I'm trying to solo it. This sucks.

Yeah the game really need a social horde playlist that has drop in drop out.

I'd play the shit out of that as I dint care about achievements and just want to play with full teams and not feel bad when I have to quit.

Vault 101

The currency system is shit. Compared to, say, Overwatch and even Black Ops 3, its stingy and slow to earn credits.

Super disappointed with The Coalition on this.

I bought the season pass and there's a $100 loot pack bundle? They have to be kidding! It's just the microtransactions make them super slow with the earring of credits just for playing.

Really bumming me out.

The currency system is shit. Compared to, say, Overwatch and even Black Ops 3, its stingy and slow to earn credits.

Super disappointed with The Coalition on this.

I bought the season pass and there's a $100 loot pack bundle? They have to be kidding! It's just the microtransactions make them super slow with the earring of credits just for playing.

Really bumming me out.

Yeah you think that's bad look at the exports pack that's only available for 1 day.

Top Bottom