• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

AlStrong

I'm usually open to the concept of character skins and different looks so you can personalize a bit but does anyone else find the stuff you can unlock that is considered "Legendary" in this game completely uninspired?

All-white Swarm guy. Ok?

Rainbow Swarm Guy! Why?

Zombie JD/Kait/Del/whoever. Hey Walking Dead is super popular!

The ones with characters in dress-blues are kind of neat, but why are there like 5 Hoffmans? All with just slight variations on the same Gear armor.

The weapon skins are even lamer overall. It's like they just gave up. "Trippy Yellow/Purple Longshot Skin", Blue Tiger Stripe Gnasher, Knotty Pine Lancer. Who thought this fit the style of the game?

They remind me of Judgment in some ways.

Moofers

I think its unreasonable to expect people to do all 50 waves of Horde all the time. Sometimes I only have an hour or two and I can't do the entire thing because life comes calling. Does that mean I should never get to play with people? The answer is to introduce a matchmaking option that lets people join games already in progress. Sometimes wave 1-10 is kind of boring. I wouldn't mind skipping those if I had the option at times. I already search my friends list and look for games where they have an opening and I try to fill in on those before I hit matchmaking.

The bounties for doing waves 1-20 should be replaced with more like "get 50 kills in a game" or things of that variety. You'd get less people quitting specifically on Wave 21 but still be able to reward people for playing without demanding they do all 50 waves every single time. Leveling is slow enough as it is, I'd hate to see all bounties reduced to "Complete all 50 waves". I've only done all 50 waves like 3 or 4 times now in the nearly two weeks I've had the game. There's been plenty of times where the entire team has quit before that or we've just given up on wave 50 because all our stuff got ruined and we ran out of money.

Also, they really, REALLY need to restructure the packs. Let us buy packs specific to our desired classes for God's sake. I hate saving up for Horde packs only to get 5 cards I need to burn because none of them were the one I was looking for. I get 25 scrap from this so I have to save for another horde pack just to burn everything again and then go make ONE card with the scrap from the two packs. That suuuuuuuuuuucks. It fucking suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks, Coalition! Fix that shit!

Complaints aside (and they are valid and worth repeating!) I love the game. I just hope they address these issues before the game dies and people move onto other things. There's a LOT of competition up against Gears. This month alone has two other huge shooters and then there's CoD right around the corner. Hell, CoD Remaster is already in the mix. TC needs to move fast because gamers are fickle and have short attention spans.

Eos

Stand far enough away from them that they can't do it? Honestly I've been playing Gears for about ten years now and I've learned you don't compete against these guys. It's not that they're amazing or anything it's that they're playing a totally different game and just exploiting the mechanics to such a degree that it's borderline cheating. I mean just watching the video was giving me a headache. I don't know how someone can even play a game like that or what enjoyment they get out of it. Each to their own I guess.
Borderline cheating lmaooooo
Wallbouncing is a skill that's been part of gears since day 1 and it takes a ton of skill to execute properly. If you know what you're doing it's way more fun and rewarding than standing around trying gun people down with assault rifles.

TaterTots

Banned
So, the only way to purchase skins in game is to buy elite packs and turn it all into scrap? Am I understanding this correctly? It that's the case.......that's fucked and will take me ages to buy the DOTD skin I want.

Wallbouncing is a skill that's been part of gears since day 1 and it takes a ton of skill to execute properly. If you know what you're doing it's way more fun and rewarding than standing around trying gun people down with assault rifles.
Wallbouncing is a part of Gears but what he's doing in that video isn't practical. Hell, the people he's doing it against aren't even wallbouncing themselves. If there was no kill feed I would think he was playing against bots.

Another match with zero match bonus. What the fuck?

Same here.

"You fuckers are complaining about a lack of credits? We'll show you a lack of credits!"

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I think its unreasonable to expect people to do all 50 waves of Horde all the time. Sometimes I only have an hour or two and I can't do the entire thing because life comes calling. Does that mean I should never get to play with people? The answer is to introduce a matchmaking option that lets people join games already in progress. Sometimes wave 1-10 is kind of boring. I wouldn't mind skipping those if I had the option at times. I already search my friends list and look for games where they have an opening and I try to fill in on those before I hit matchmaking.

Yep. There simply needs to be a social horde playlist that just throws you into random games/waves to fill in games and starts you at one in the unlikely event that there aren't any open games needing fills.,

Keep the existing playlist for people who want to start from 1, go for the related achievements etc., along with private lobbies of course.

I'd play a lot more if I could just pop in and out and not be screwing people by leaving. I haven't played past the low 20s yet as I just don't have the time/interest for longer sessions right now. But I hate quitting when the other 4 are still going so I just haven't been playing at all lately and regretting buying the ultimate edition.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

to a point I agree but watch the video, that is nonsense. It's basically just exploiting a simple mechanic (cancelling your move to cover) to float around and then hope some of your ten shots land. I say borderline because you're not doing anything that isn't in the game but it's clearly not how anyone who made the game intended for it to be played. anyway, like you said it's been in Gears since the first one and I've learned to live with it.

I find the skins that glow bright are a big disadvantage because they give away your position. What do you guys think?

Also, the robot character skins make way more noise than other characters...

enewtabie

PC version is beautiful. Nice having it on a tv and my monitor,but I think I'm going to stick with the PC version. Running on Ultra at 1440p 144hz in the upper 90fps is damn impressive. Great job!!

Iceman829

It only happens some of the time, especially when I'm on the losing team.

Not sure a reset will fix it but what do I have to lose?

Oh hmm now that you mention it being on the losing team I think that happened to me once before. I just off played it because we had lost and just wanted to roll onto the next match

Oh hmm now that you mention it being on the losing team I think that happened to me once before. I just off played it because we had lost and just wanted to roll onto the next match
Again no match bonus for losing an Execution match. Fix this shit TC.

Dope! The achievement for getting to 50 is bugged too! How cool!

Eanan

I find the skins that glow bright are a big disadvantage because they give away your position. What do you guys think?

Depends on your play style. I use all the glowy flashy skins, but I hate hanging back in cover or camping like some do, I prefer to rush with gnasher, like original gears.

Allforce

The bright colored skins just reaffirms my post above about how unispired the designs are. It's a detriment to the game and its like they didn't have time or any creativity in creating them. Just "slap a rainbow pallet on that Swarm guy, kids'll love it!".

The DBs are cool but I wish they were just a completely separate "team" in multiplayer because they look wayyyy too much like a human yet they're on the "monster" team which all have a very defined look. So you select a COG guy, a Swarm Guy, and a DB Guy in the customization area. As it stands now putting them on the Swarm team is lazy and doesn't even fit with the story of the game since they are a neutral force who fights anyone.

brawly

Just started the campaign. Love the colour palette that they got going. E-Day looked amazing.

Jimmy Smits as Oscar Diaz is brilliant casting. Love that guy.

man i really miss my Anthony Carmine :(
Same.. I finally crafted the E-Day Gear and while he looks like Anthony Carmine, he sounds nothing like him. I was hoping he was essentially still Carmine with the VO, but nope lol.

And I've said it before, but the DeeBees should have been part of the COG's.

The one Epic skin I got with my first pack at launch was the god awful color splash Swarm drone skin.

Same.. I finally crafted the E-Day Gear and while he looks like Anthony Carmine, he sounds nothing like him. I was hoping he was essentially still Carmine with the VO, but nope lol.

Carmine will get brought back in a later wave of skins. They're holding back a lot of characters for now.

When you compare the number of characters Gears 3 had, it's pretty eye opening how few there actually are in Gears 4.

GoW3

COG (38, 23 of which didn't require pre-order or DLC)
Marcus Fenix
Classic Marcus
Unarmored Marcus
Dominic Santiago
Classic Dom
Commando Dom (Pre-order from Gamestop)
Commando Dom (Limited Edition) (Downloadable Content)
Augustus Cole
Classic Cole
Superstar Cole
Thrashball Cole (Unlocked in the Beta)
Thrashball Cole (Limited Edition) (Downloadable Content)
Damon Baird
Classic Baird
Mechanic Baird (Pre-order from Best Buy)
Mechanic Baird (Limited Edition) (Downloadable Content)
Anya Stroud
Civilian Anya
COG Gear
Golden Gear
Samantha Byrne
Dizzy Wallin
Big Rig Dizzy (Downloadable Content)
Jace Stratton
Clayton Carmine
Recruit Clayton (Downloadable Content)
Aaron Griffin (Can be unlocked in game or via Facebook)
Benjamin Carmine
Richard Prescott
Victor Hoffman
Anthony Carmine
Adam Fenix (Exclusive to Limited and Epic Editions)
Onyx Guard (Downloadable Content)
Bernadette Mataki (Downloadable Content)
Michael Barrick (Downloadable Content)
Minh Young Kim (Downloadable Content)
Alicia Valera (Downloadable Content)
Tai Kaliso (Downloadable Content)

Locust (28, 18 of which didn't require pre-order/limited edition/dlc/limited time)
Drone
Savage Drone
Grenadier Elite
Savage Grenadier
Queen Myrrah
Miner
Golden Miner
Beast Rider
Hunter
Golden Hunter
Theron Sentinel (Incorrectly named Theron Guard in the lobby)
Savage Theron Guard
Spotter
Flame Grenadier
Kantus
Sniper
Grenadier Elite
Hunter Elite
Savage Grenadier Elite (Pre-order Limited or Epic Edition from Wal-mart)
Savage Grenadier Elite (Limited Edition) (Downloadable Content)
Savage Kantus (Pre-order from Amazon)
Savage Kantus (Limited Edition) (Downloadable Content)
Theron Elite (Downloadable Content)
RAAM (Downloadable Content)
Savage Marauder (Downloadable Content)
Savage Hunter (Downloadable Content)
Thrashball Drone (Only available for use during the 2012 Super Bowl and the 2012 Memorial Day Weekend)

aBarreras

i think that in latin american spanish is the same voice of the carmines, i havent used one because oh well pack system, but i think it is

UncleMeat

Yep. There simply needs to be a social horde playlist that just throws you into random games/waves to fill in games and starts you at one in the unlikely event that there aren't any open games needing fills.,

Keep the existing playlist for people who want to start from 1, go for the related achievements etc., along with private lobbies of course.

I'd play a lot more if I could just pop in and out and not be screwing people by leaving. I haven't played past the low 20s yet as I just don't have the time/interest for longer sessions right now. But I hate quitting when the other 4 are still going so I just haven't been playing at all lately and regretting buying the ultimate edition.

Same here, 50 waves of horde is too much for me but I'd definitely play it more if they implemented social horde.

The bright colored skins just reaffirms my post above about how unispired the designs are. It's a detriment to the game and its like they didn't have time or any creativity in creating them. Just "slap a rainbow pallet on that Swarm guy, kids'll love it!".

The DBs are cool but I wish they were just a completely separate "team" in multiplayer because they look wayyyy too much like a human yet they're on the "monster" team which all have a very defined look. So you select a COG guy, a Swarm Guy, and a DB Guy in the customization area. As it stands now putting them on the Swarm team is lazy and doesn't even fit with the story of the game since they are a neutral force who fights anyone.

I agree. TC would probably have to switch between swarm and DBs and always have a COG team since most people prefer being COG there would be too many complaints with DB v swarm matches.

Eanan

I gotta say, there are way too many rounds in some of the game types. I love escalation, but a single match takes forever, especially if there is any back and forth. And if your team is getting stomped, it's not fun to sit through it for 20+ minutes.
Yeah they need to change it ASAP. Most games take 30+ mins.

Ballistik

When I play super sweaty and I still lose. Love close matches though.

5EB2bkD.jpg

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Any solid info on the contents of the Season Pass? Is it just 24 maps for multiplayer? Any single-player expansions been teased, new Horde classes, etc?

Or do we just not know for sure?

Xyber

I'm level 59, just about to hit 60 and just got an achievement for getting 10k credits in total. In 60 levels I would've been able to buy ALMOST 3 Elite cases, that's fucking ridiculous. That's a total of ~42 hours of play time going by the war journal.

jesus

seeing this BS makes me not want to play ranked.

Tbf, I have not seen a single person jump around like that in my ~30 hours of ranked play, but that might be because all those "tryhard" people only play on Xbox.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm level 59, just about to hit 60 and just got an achievement for getting 10k credits in total. In 60 levels I would've been able to buy ALMOST 3 Elite cases, that's fucking ridiculous. That's a total of ~42 hours of play time going by the war journal.

Tbf, I have not seen a single person jump around like that in my 40 hours of ranked play, but that might be because all those "tryhard" people only play on Xbox.

Finally boguht an elite case yesterday and all items were boring and nothing I wanted. :( Feels bad

Had windows insider and gears wouldn't launch, reinstalled windows pro and now got it running.

My hardware
Gtx 970
Phenom 965 x4 (I know I should have gotten Intel)
12gb ram
Over clocked GPU and CPU with stock cooler

Running game 4k on mix of ultra and high
58fps multi
35fps single

Looks jaw dropping and I can't believe how well it's optimized. 4k makes such a big difference. Still a looker on x1 though

MysteryM

I love this game but Jesus Christ. Why can Microsoft. a company built on standards, standardise some of the multiplayer stuff the come up with. Let me switch from party to game chat in game like halo 5 - that should be a first party standard. Don't make me wait for the score screen and then have to close it in order to see a load screen before going back to the main menu, if my multiplayer partner doesn't close the screen we get s warning and can't start - show the score screen and load the menu in the background so there is no pause. On finishing a slayer game, stick up a counter and auto start the next one. I have to go back in and tell the game I want to play again - it's just sloppy. Let me save my default weapon config so I don't have to remind myself before every game.

The game is awesome but the front end is like an after thought. I thought we got past this with halo 5 setting a new standard? It's stupid.

Ducayne

I love this game but Jesus Christ. Why can Microsoft. a company built on standards, standardise some of the multiplayer stuff the come up with. Let me switch from party to game chat in game like halo 5 - that should be a first party standard. Don't make me wait for the score screen and then have to close it in order to see a load screen before going back to the main menu, if my multiplayer partner doesn't close the screen we get s warning and can't start - show the score screen and load the menu in the background so there is no pause. On finishing a slayer game, stick up a counter and auto start the next one. I have to go back in and tell the game I want to play again - it's just sloppy. Let me save my default weapon config so I don't have to remind myself before every game.

The game is awesome but the front end is like an after thought. I thought we got past this with halo 5 setting a new standard? It's stupid.

There's a LOT of weird multiplayer QoL quirks that I just don't understand after the amazing integration that Halo 5 had.

Why why why didn't internal Microsoft studios pow-wow more and utilize great things that already exist?

Xyber

Finally boguht an elite case yesterday and all items were boring and nothing I wanted. :( Feels bad

Yeah, I bought one with my first credits I saved up, only got shit and have only bought operations pack after that.

And I have to say that the "leaderboards" in the war journal is a damn joke too. Who the hell cares what total score people have in social versus? There's just so many small and dumb things about the menus and shit in this game that is really annoying.

I've been playing this series for 10 years now and still cannot comprehend the mechanics going on there or at least I cannot reproduce them. Just looking at that video and I get nausea....

Yep, let me whipe the vomit from my screen ...
But it's probably not as bad when you're doing it yourself instead of watching some other guy playing.

Top Bottom