• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Internet was out yesterday so I jumped in campaign for a bit. Really not enjoying it at all. I'm at the
catacombs/underground/chasing the snatcher thing
part. What a snoozefest.

Hell I've played GoW 1-3 story modes so many times I could do it with my eyes closed but this is rough. Does it pick up any?

It's a shame because the
underground
bits in Gears and Gears 2 were utterly gorgeous. But they were basically
exterior maps with a cave
as a skybox.

I live in the U.S. and have searched and searched. Everyone on Social via PC claims to never find a game. I'm doubtful of the honesty of that post. It's completely dead for competitive on PC.

I actually was on a winning streak on TDM yesterday evening, so yeah, it's working. It just takes a minute or two :x

I didn't try competitive.

And that
Swarmak fight
was poorly designed. I don't even want to get into it.. I just need to rest after that nonsense.
Can anyone please offer some "winning" advice for this fight?
I wound up checkpointing myself after the third generator without having killed a single blister. I just didn't realize the mechanics of the fight until it was too late. So, now I am checkplinted with all four generators down and 7-8 blisters left. After I reloaded my checkpoint ALL of the cocoons I had blown up have respawned, as well as the two Scions I killed.

Can I start the chapter over from level select? I don't think so, but I can't remember.

This fight is a level of unfairness I've not had to deal with on any hardest difficulty in a game in long, long time. I play all my single player campaigns on the hardest difficulty straight out of the gates. I'd consider myself skilled enough to handle them, since I've been able to, well, beat them. Gears of War 4 on Insane, however, seems to have lots of encounters that are broken, without any thought into difficulty scaling.

Halo on Legendary, in my opinion, is the perfect example of how to handle hardest difficulty in a game. Or Ninja Gaiden Black.

Ballistik

Yes!! I made it to Diamond in Escalation. Really starting to dig this mode, and it really solves the problem past games had on the Esports front. Execution, while fun to play, can be really boring to watch. This mode forces you to run around and expose yourself more, take more risks. It's a blast to play and watch.

Thinking maybe ranks will reset soon too? I haven't seen clear communication about this... but I do see how it says "Season 0" makes me think that they're just testing the whole system right now...

malfcn

I can't even today.

Grenade explodes, 5 seconds later I die from it.

Bullets doing nothing.

Getting one shot by gnasher from far away.

Last night was dope (other than bad teams) and today is terrible.

Leyasu

Banned
I can't even today.

Grenade explodes, 5 seconds later I die from it.

Bullets doing nothing.

Getting one shot by gnasher from far away.

Last night was dope (other than bad teams) and today is terrible.

Sounds like 343 have taken over the matchmaking lol

Please don't gears turn into a high latency mess like halo is. All shooters should be region filtered by default.

Where are you from by the way??

dont you have to shoot the thing while its in the air?
Yup, but first time we ran through it none of us did that and
it still blew up
, so once we restarted the checkpoint because the game screwed us on the
Swarmak fight
, we didn't realize that needed to happen.

Makes no sense. We were there for a long time until I just so happened to shoot at it that time. Marcus is all
"shoot the bombs"
but we took that as the
catapult launching them
because that's all we did the first time around.
I wound up checkpointing myself after the third generator without having killed a single blister. I just didn't realize the mechanics of the fight until it was too late. So, now I am checkplinted with all four generators down and 7-8 blisters left. After I reloaded my checkpoint ALL of the cocoons I had blown up have respawned, as well as the two Scions I killed.

Can I start the chapter over from level select? I don't think so, but I can't remember.

This fight is a level of unfairness I've not had to deal with on any hardest difficulty in a game in long, long time. I play all my single player campaigns on the hardest difficulty straight out of the gates. I'd consider myself skilled enough to handle them, since I've been able to, well, beat them. Gears of War 4 on Insane, however, seems to have lots of encounters that are broken, without any thought into difficulty scaling.

Halo on Legendary, in my opinion, is the perfect example of how to handle hardest difficulty in a game. Or Ninja Gaiden Black.
Just restart the checkpoint. It'll put you in the beginning of the chapter, but that fight is soo much easier when you do it one at a time.

Terrible decision to allow people to get caught like that,
having activated all the switches
and dealing with the incredible cheapness of overwhelming enemies.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Whew! Got all 5 Class Insane horde achievements. Whew! My fingers hurt pretty bad now.

Nice nice.

I'm here thinking how I haven't even had time to unbox my Gears 4 XB1 S yet along with the new monitor I got for it. Just way too busy.

do you have a group you play with or did you do it with randoms

Haha - the day randoms would stay to finish just even one Insane Horde run would be the day I gained faith in random teammates once again.

The last time I had that feeling was the Halo 3 days.

blakep267

Arms Race matches are absolutely mental. In both a good and a bad way. Dodgeball is my favourite of the new modes by some distance.
I just hate the ammo counts for the first few weapons in arms race. Boom shots and torque bows are just useless and giving 2-3 rounds just makes things more annoying

Nah, never with randoms. I used TrueAchievements to find a good and dedication group.
Might have to look into that myself..
Nice nice.

Haha - the day randoms would stay to finish just even one Insane Horde run would be the day I gained faith in random teammates once again.

The last time I had that feeling was the Halo 3 days.

I'm about to complete my second Insane run with randoms. Although it took me about an hour to find a good lobby, one where everyone understands their role.

I'm a level 1 Heavy and we're breezing through this, my only skill is bonus turret dmg

edit - the Hammer of Dawn ability seems really useful. Often when playing Horde we kill the boss but another one spawns since we didn't kill anything else. This match we've had the HoD and the guy uses the ability twice while the rest of us focus on the boss. We're completing boss waves in ~1 minute

Might have to look into that myself..

I'm about to complete my second Insane run with randoms. Although it took me about an hour to find a good lobby, one where everyone understands their role.

I'm a level 1 Heavy and we're breezing through this, my only skill is bonus turret dmg

edit - the Hammer of Dawn ability seems really useful. Often when playing Horde we kill the boss but another one spawns since we didn't kill anything else. This match we've had the HoD and the guy uses the ability twice while the rest of us focus on the boss. We're completing boss waves in ~1 minute
Yeah, Hammer of Dawn is amazing. One round on Insane we had about 130,000 energy and for the last 5 waves we just spammed HoD. It was great!

The glory of the Hammer

KS4LCW8.jpg

Another night, another post where I complain about quitters. It's totally ruining the game for me.

I refuse to quit, but when no one else seems to care why should I?

Halloween Event

The dead rise faster this Halloween.

We're excited to share the details of the first special event for Gears of War 4 - Pumpkin Ball!

Pumpkin Ball is a remix of Dodgeball that introduces 1 second respawn times and reduced respawn protection, resulting in a faster paced Dodgeball experience where the dead don't stay dead for long.

This social style playlist features 5 of the darker maps from Gears of War 4:

Fallout
Forge
Harbor
Impact
Lift

Pumpkin Heads also make their Gears of War return exclusively in this playlist - now sporting a new mouth inspired by the look of our Juvies. As a special Halloween bonus, we've also turned on Bonus XP rewards in Pumpkin Ball - find this playlist in the ‘Events’ category under the Versus menu now!
Halloween Elite Pack

In addition to this special playlist, the Halloween Elite Pack arrives on October 27th in the Gears of War 4 store!

This special purchasable pack is a variant on the Elite Gear Pack, with one card in each guaranteed to be Epic or Legendary quality. Legendary Cards from this pack are exclusively from the Day of the Dead Legendary Collection. The Halloween Elite Pack is available until November 1st.

In case you missed it, we recently released a Horde Credit and XP Earn Rate update for Gears of War 4, and covered a number of larger feedback items we're working on here. We'll have more news on further updates coming to Gears of War 4 soon.

Have a great Halloween!

The Coalition

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Was on Horde earlier, and there was a guy who I was trading top scores with on each round. On the rounds closer to the boss he felt it was cool to carry on running around the map rather than camping up with defences like everyone else on the squad was. Of course he goes down ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE MAP, and ends up dying. We finish the round fine, but then I get shitty messages asking "why u not revive?".

Shithead.

Awesome! :) I missed these events from back in the gears 3 days and so glad they brought back. The snowman and Easter bunny heads should all look wicked as hell. Thanks TC!
V9RHFq6.jpg

Recreat3

Really enjoying the campaign atm, just completed act 2 and that last section was loads of fun. Hope it continues to be as enjoyable for the rest of the campaign.

jadedm17

Do the multiplayer modes that aren't Social Quickplay not allow joining ongoing matches?

Play King of the Hill and teammate quits before round 1 ends.

Play King of the Hill and two teammates quit when we lose round 1.

Play King of the Hill and three opponents quit before round 1;
Another quits during round 2 leaving one man alone.

I'm spending more time with uneven teams than I ever am with even ones.

Seriously sick of the headaches that come with multiplayer games.

Hitting someone running away with a Torque Bow or blowing up someone with their own poorly placed grenade are the two best things about Gears.

Heh, so I just found out the Halloween Elite Pack can only be bought with real money.

Jeez TC, you could at least pretend to give a shit about your fan base.

phant0m

Fight is bullshit. Beat him on hardcore/co-op after like 2 hours of trying. We went upstairs on one of the platforms since there's only 1 way up and could constantly revive each other. We also killed the piece of shit with only blowing up I think 2 blisters, he eventually just died after eating a fucktom of ammo. Worst fight since
Paul
at the end of
Quantum Break

Luckily, the last boss is a great fight we beat on the 2nd try.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I see the same guys every single night I play Escalation on PC. Somehow it's comforting knowing you'll recognize at least one name per match, but at the same time it feels weird as hell to know the competitive pool is that small.

Iceman829

So how does the Halloween loot crate drop?

Throw real money at the game

Also I'm done for the night. Nothing but trash lobbies in horde all night. I'll probably end up quitting soon since no one on my friends list cares to play this or horde anymore

BHK3

Banned
Cant enjoy pumpkin head because its apart of 1 single mode in a single playlist

Elite pack that has the only thing I want (DOFD Kait) can only be bought with real money

STILL haven't received my digital codes for gears 1-J

Like what goes through their heads when they do these things?

pizzacat

Banned
Cant enjoy pumpkin head because its apart of 1 single mode in a single playlist

Elite pack that has the only thing I want (DOFD Kait) can only be bought with real money

STILL haven't received my digital codes for gears 1-J

Like what goes through their heads when they do these things?
I mean so was the pumpkin one in gears 3

Elite packs cost 3500 coin not only real money

And if you want my digital codes I can just pm you if you want

Elite packs cost 3500 coin not only real money

Not the Halloween Elite Pack though, that's only available for real money.

And yeah, while Day of the Dead Kait is available in normal packs, the Halloween Elite Pack is going to increase the likelihood of obtaining it by a hell of a lot.

It's just another all around shitty move by TC.

Top Bottom