• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

sucks about the character selection :( i miss my carmine the only one that looks like him is the E-Day Gear :/

Yeah the character roster is disappointing, and I truly hate some of these skins. The zombie and paint ones are really out of place for Gears. I wish the skins were more creative like different outfits and stuff, and I wish they were more fitting of the universe.

Loading Map

10062825844_6ddf43ef55.jpg

In Chapter 4 of Act 1 and I'm having a hard time getting used to the vibe of the campaign.

It feels like the PG-13 version of Gears of War. Very sanitized and bloodless. Seems inspired by The Hunger Games and other YA stuff.

Also question- should the Profanity Filter be ON or OFF if I don't want it filtered? It defaulted ON but the wording would make me think I wold want it OFF.

B00TE

Few server hiccups here and there, just got booted from a Horde game. My brother (on the same connection) is still in.

0racle

In Chapter 4 of Act 1 and I'm having a hard time getting used to the vibe of the campaign.

It feels like the PG-13 version of Gears of War. Very sanitized and bloodless. Seems inspired by The Hunger Games and other YA stuff.

Also question- should the Profanity Filter be ON or OFF if I don't want it filtered? It defaulted ON but the wording would make me think I wold want it OFF.

off, off removes the filter allowing trucker talk.

N7.Angel

Loading Map

10062825844_6ddf43ef55.jpg

This, it's terrible...

i don't understand why we can't play with the same people on other maps either, who did the MP ? there's no rolling lobbies and that's fuck up... we still have sound issues here and there that were reported during the beta, it's pretty bad and unprofessional.

Idk it's a map pickup. I haven't used it in mp yet.

Ah gotcha, I forgot it changed to a pickup.

I'm really going to miss the semi-auto HB. That thing was so damn fun to use and when you got a rhythm going you could dominate with it. So many angry hate messages claiming I was using a modded controller. Good times.

malfcn

Dat prologue. 😩 hnng.

Odd that the default has gore and mature on, but profanity filter on too.

Wait, profanity is user communication..

J_Viper

So how is the unlock system in MP, as far as unlocking new skins?

Is it more like Halo 5, where after a few matches you've acquired enough currency to buy a "Gold Pack", or is it closer to Overwatch where it takes fucking forever, and the drop rate is disappointing?

Fine here. What are you playing?

Core TDM at the moment.

So how is the unlock system in MP, as far as unlocking new skins?

Is it more like Halo 5, where after a few matches you've acquired enough currency to buy a "Gold Pack", or is it closer to Overwatch where it takes fucking forever, and the drop rate is disappointing?

It's slower than Overwatch, if you can believe it.

I'm level 21 and I'm still like 800 or so credits away from an elite pack.

J_Viper

It's slower than Overwatch, if you can believe it.

I'm level 21 and I'm still like 800 or so credits away from an elite pack.
Holy fuck. I thought such a thing was impossible.

This might actually have me wait for a sale. I need a steady unlock system to keep me interested.

Peterthumpa

Asking again here: can I buy a Windows Store copy and somehow share my Microsoft account to a friend just to allow him to download it, and then after that playing together each one using their MS accounts?

Real question is, can we both play the game by buying it only once?

Theorry

Dont think its that bad really. But just needs some tweaking.
The most credits you get. You get with leveling up. Wich you can boost quite fast with the bounties.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the character roster is disappointing, and I truly hate some of these skins. The zombie and paint ones are really out of place for Gears. I wish the skins were more creative like different outfits and stuff, and I wish they were more fitting of the universe.

yeah that's true they are trying to make it like judgment skins :/ i rather have more characters to choose from then skins.

is it just me guys or do the swarm all look the same? :(

Holy fuck. I thought such a thing was impossible.

This might actually have me wait for a sale. I need a steady unlock system to keep me interested.

lol I find this current "need" to be rewarded superficially so ridiculous and destructive towards the art and medium of video games.

Isn't it more rewarding to destroy your opponent through skill and wit? Shouldn't the solid gameplay and moment to moment fun be the reason you buy a game and stay interested?

This multiplayer is phenomenal. The graphics are great and the gameplay is perfect.
However there are a few technical issues that need to be fixed ASAP.

I'm playing with a couple friends and we are periodically getting disconnected from the online services, causing a player to get kicked out.

Loading maps also takes way too long, and sometimes you get removed from the lobby while it is loading.

Dominator

lol I find this current "need" to be rewarded superficially so ridiculous and destructive towards the art and medium of video games.

Isn't it more rewarding to destroy your opponent through skill and wit? Shouldn't the solid gameplay and moment to moment fun be the reason you buy a game and stay interested?
This, I dislike the constant need to "unlock" things. In simpler times, you just played to play because it's fun.

Oh well, this is the future now. Almost every game has packs and cards and crates and loot.

Theorry

yeah that's true they are trying to make it like judgment skins :/ i rather have more characters to choose from then skins.

is it just me guys or do the swarm all look the same? :(

They are gonna add some more characters i believe, Those Runs the Jewels guys are also getting in the game in november with the first content update. Probably we see more with other updates also.

j-wood

Asking again here: can I buy a Windows Store copy and somehow share my Microsoft account to a friend just to allow him to download it, and then after that playing together each one using their MS accounts?

Real question is, can we both play the game by buying it only once?

No. You're essentially asking if you can go buy once disc copy and you and friend both play it at separate houses at the same time. Of course not.

jtar86

Is Amazon sold out? I went to preorder and it said it would email an estimated delivery date. Never seen it say that before.

Montresor

No. You're essentially asking if you can go buy once disc copy and you and friend both play it at separate houses at the same time. Of course not.

Are you an Xbox or Pc player?

If you played on Xbox One for any meaningful amount of time you'd know his question is not ridiculous. What he asked is possible with digital games on XB1, by design.

j-wood

Are you an Xbox or Pc player?

If you played on Xbox One for any meaningful amount of time you'd know his question is not ridiculous. What he asked is possible with digital games on XB1, by design.

PC player. I assumed he was talking about the Play Anywhere stuff. If he wasn't, my bad!

JD sounds kind of like Nathan Fillion, but I just searched and it's Liam McIntyre from Spartacus.. either way, does anyone else think his voice doesn't fit with his appearance at all? I only played for around 2 hours last night, it could get better.

Les

Banned
JD sounds kind of like Nathan Fillion, but I just searched and it's Liam McIntyre from Spartacus.. either way, does anyone else think his voice doesn't fit with his appearance at all? I only played for around 2 hours last night, it could get better.

I thought Act 1 was
rather tame. The game will gets wild, fast.

It's good.

lol i heard Nathan Fillion too.

I thought his voice fit really well, but that's of course a subjective idea.

MarveI

If someone from Coalition is reading this please fix the credits issue. You did a fantastic job with this game you really did but the credits system is infuriating. I played 20 waves of horde which is quite a bit of time and got 50 credits. The elite pack costs 4000 credits. To open 1 elite pack I have to play nearly or more than 100 hours. That is ridiculous. I don't think a lot of people will be buying these packs so making them insanely hard to open with in game credits is not a good look. i already bought the season pass which should be enough keep the microtransactions but don't make it nearly impossible to earn in game credits. I want some of these weapon skins but you're not even guaranteed 1 if you open say 10 packs (I opened around 25+ yesterday because of the ultimate edition + gears controller LE that gave some packs I did not receive 1 weapon skin so you could be opening 10 packs and not get 1 skin. At this rate if you play this game 24/7 you could open maybe a couple packs by the end of the year. Come on that's crazy.

If someone from Coalition is reading this please fix the credits issue. You did a fantastic job with this game you really did but the credits system is infuriating. I played 20 waves of horde which is quite a bit of time and got 50 credits. The elite pack costs 4000 credits. To open 1 elite pack I have to play nearly or more than 100 hours. That is ridiculous. I don't think a lot of people will be buying these packs so making them insanely hard to open with in game credits is not a good look. i already bought the season pass which should be enough keep the microtransactions but don't make it nearly impossible to earn in game credits. I want some of these weapon skins but you're not even guaranteed 1 if you open say 10 packs (I opened around 25+ yesterday because of the ultimate edition + gears controller LE that gave some packs I did not receive 1 weapon skin so you could be opening 10 packs and not get 1 skin. At this rate if you play this game 24/7 you could open maybe a couple packs by the end of the year. Come on that's crazy.

Yup, it's amazing in Halo 5 but way too slow in Gears 4.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Agreed. 75% or more is from hitting level and the rest is so minor even at round 40+ its almost nothing.

Takes forever :3

RedStep

Seconded - the drop rate is pathetic. It kills the incentive to play ("There's no point, I'm not going to get anything") instead of encouraging it. Look at Mass Effect 3 for a successful model, that game was "F2P" and relied on card packs for revenue, but it always felt balanced and rewarding. Add in that there is no reward for leveling up (aside from a handful of credits that can't actually buy anything) and "for love of the game" is all you have left, which isn't enough to hold mindshare in this age.

With all the games coming out at the same time, I fear the money-grubbing here (and with the whole "no Private Horde" thing) is going to kill the game rather than revitalize it.

m23

Seconded - the drop rate is pathetic. It kills the incentive to play ("There's no point, I'm not going to get anything") instead of encouraging it. Look at Mass Effect 3 for a successful model, that game was "F2P" and relied on card packs for revenue, but it always felt balanced and rewarding. Add in that there is no reward for leveling up (aside from a handful of credits that can't actually buy anything) and "for love of the game" is all you have left, which isn't enough to hold mindshare in this age.

With all the games coming out at the same time, I fear the money-grubbing here (and with the whole "no Private Horde" thing) is going to kill the game rather than revitalize it.

Mass effect 3 mp was amazing. What a pleasant surprise it was.

Top Bottom