• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Tecnniqe

Banned
Internet am cry

clya4nh.gif

Error 0x80073cf9

Google says create folder AUInstallAgent in windows folder and restart. I mean its obvious when you think about it....

Edit.

And weirdly it seems to actually not erroring now....

kendrid

Banned
Ugh. Stupid Microsoft Store.

I can't update the game because it wants to download the whole thing as a patch, but I don't have 80 GB free on my SSD. I guess it's no different than deleting and redownloading so that part isn't a huge issue. Of course I can't play the game until I update, even single player.

This kind of thing will start becoming a big issue next month when I have a Comcast cap.

Read my post a few above yours. I have the same issue.

I also have the Comcast 1TB cap. I can't be downloading 80gb constantly.

Edit: I have already passed last month's data usage in 11 days and I guarantee it is all trying to download this game.

Ronny93

Downloads something with wrong numbers, restarts, downloads again, gets stuck, error, restart, downloads again, other wrong numbers. All at inconsistent speeds. Wtfisthisshit.jpg

Sch1sm

Is anyone else getting insane load times on the campaign (Xbox 1)?

Within it? No, not at all. My load time issues are on start up, within the campaign everything is fine. I haven't noticed any bad load times and I've been on the campaign for the last 3, near 4 hours? I'm on the OG, mind, not the S. So. Not sure what's up there.

The MS store is so incomprehensibly shit i can't, i can't even be arsed moan or think about it. I'm just gonna play Titanfall instead.

A client so bad i'd sooner be on Origin, fuck me.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Impressions and minor campaign spoilers follow.

Just finished the campaign. As someone who plays Gears primarily for the campaign, I'm sorely disappointed. Pacing was bad, I felt the humdrum of repetition set in very early. The robot enemies are downright terrible and don't belong in the franchise. I can see what Coalition were going for with trying to bring some freshness to the table with a new enemy type but it just isn't Gears. You can tell there are some Binary Domain fans on the team. The Swarm are better but they lack the charm and creativity seen in the Locust. I miss the enemy variety -- beast riders, the generals from past games that had the ink grenades, etc. Never in the history of Gears (except JUDGEMENT) have I felt "Oh, may as well finish the campaign". I actually found myself avoiding playing the game at times. Past entries have had me on the edge of my seat with excitement to see what comes next, sadly Gears 4 lost its mojo.

I think the absence of Cliffy is felt very strongly here, as Cliff was always the creative guy whereas Rod was the execution guy. The execution is good and the game feels polished, but the creative spark just isn't there.

Another important thing to note is that this game didn't feel like a proper next-generation Gears to me. The Xbox One is signifigantly more powerful than an Xbox 360, right? Then why doesn't this game reflect that? It felt like a slightly prettier expansion to previous games. Even the chainsaw animations are exactly the same. Why not make them more badass, higher fidelity? Add a few different variations, maybe one where you just saw a guys legs off -- SOMETHING, ANYTHING I haven't seen before.

The characters were "meh". I know they couldn't make JD just like Marcus, but the feeling of badass comradery isn't there. JD is too much of an Everyman. Del is forgettable. And Kait? I barely even noticed she was there unless she revived me.

Back to the pacing for a moment. Many times I felt like the development team wasn't sure what to do next so they just said "fuck it, throw another 5 waves of enemies at them". But fans expect more. Remember Gears 2, when you rode the Brumak? Or how about when you were in the middle of a huge battle in the beginning, mowing down armies of enemies from your land-tank, all the while killing boarding parties? That was eye-opening, stuff on that scale I'd never seen in an action game. That was legendary shit man, and aside from the very last section of the game (and even then, briefly), I was never smiling.

I haven't tried multiplayer VS yet, but Horde mode isn't what I felt it could be either. I think the Microtransactions-based structure really hurts Horde. That, and the fucking deebees. I don't ever want to shoot a robot in a Gears game again, thank you.

I'm sad to say that I probably won't be checking out future Gears games but I'm really happy for everyone who is enjoying themselves.

Theorry

Now I've got into the game but my friend can't join my party to play coop.

This launch is a fucking joke.

The launch is fine. Has been working fine all day and the last 3 days. They just updated the servers and the game.
And now probably everybody joins at the same time.

The launch is fine. Has been working fine all day and the last 3 days. They just updated the servers and the game.
And now probably everybody joins at the same time.

Its kind of shit that they force an update when all you want is single player which has been working fine. Especially when forcing everyone to update causes this mess.

aBarreras

Just finished the campaign. As someone who plays Gears primarily for the campaign, I'm sorely disappointed. Pacing was bad, I felt the humdrum of repetition set in very early. The robot enemies are downright terrible and don't belong in the franchise. I can see what Coalition were going for with trying to bring some freshness to the table with a new enemy type but it just isn't Gears. You can tell there are some Binary Domain fans on the team. The Swarm are better but they lack the charm and creativity seen in the Locust. I miss the enemy variety -- beast riders, the generals from past games that had the ink grenades, etc. Never in the history of Gears (except JUDGEMENT) have I felt "Oh, may as well finish the campaign". I actually found myself avoiding playing the game at times. Past entries have had me on the edge of my seat with excitement to see what comes next, sadly Gears 4 lost its mojo.

I think the absence of Cliffy is felt very strongly here, as Cliff was always the creative guy whereas Rod was the execution guy. The execution is good and the game feels polished, but the creative spark just isn't there.

Another important thing to note is that this game didn't feel like a proper next-generation Gears to me. The Xbox One is signifigantly more powerful than an Xbox 360, right? Then why doesn't this game reflect that? It felt like a slightly prettier expansion to previous games. Even the chainsaw animations are exactly the same. Why not make them more badass, higher fidelity? Add a few different variations, maybe one where you just saw a guys legs off -- SOMETHING, ANYTHING I haven't seen before.

The characters were "meh". I know they couldn't make JD just like Marcus, but the feeling of badass comradery isn't there. JD is too much of an Everyman. Del is forgettable. And Kait? I barely even noticed she was there unless she revived me.

Back to the pacing for a moment. Many times I felt like the development team wasn't sure what to do next so they just said "fuck it, throw another 5 waves of enemies at them". But fans expect more. Remember Gears 2, when you rode the Brumak? Or how about when you were in the middle of a huge battle in the beginning, mowing down armies of enemies from your land-tank, all the while killing boarding parties? That was eye-opening, stuff on that scale I'd never seen in an action game. That was legendary shit man, and aside from the very last section of the game (and even then, briefly), I was never smiling.

I haven't tried multiplayer VS yet, but Horde mode isn't what I felt it could be either. I think the Microtransactions-based structure really hurts Horde. That, and the fucking deebees. I don't ever want to shoot a robot in a Gears game again, thank you.

I'm sad to say that I probably won't be checking out future Gears games but I'm really happy for everyone who is enjoying themselves.

since you bolded something, i read it first, and then proceeed to not read anything else, because you are talking non-sense

Its kind of shit that they force an update when all you want is single player which has been working fine. Especially when forcing everyone to update causes this mess.

the patch fix some problems with the campaign! read the fucking update notes

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Can't play this game anymore because it won't fucking update. It downloads for a bit, then says "Error, see details"

And says i need another 80b of free space ? The fuck ? Why is the Windows 10 Store so fucking shit.

Les

Banned

The first couple of acts are definitely pretty weak, but I thought it ramped up very nicely and all things considered I enjoyed the campaign very much. Much better than 3.

Did you play single player or co-op? I found part of the enjoyment of it is the co-op experience, much like in Gears 1.

The robots are definitely a total drag. However, I think that Horde is it's best yet -- and this is coming from someone who never really liked horde in any of the previous installments. I can already see myself putting plenty of time into Horde. And yes, the microtransaction problem is god awful.

I genuinely feel that if there were some legitimate Gears of War fans on board for this project (which, in my eyes, it feels like there really weren't), we would have a much better overall product. For me, the problems are the small things that are missing.

Well that update fixes a big SP bug tho.
I have no idea what that bug is but if people have been playing just fine then i doubt there is much harm letting people wait to download it over night and just play this evening.

Dont get me wrong i know people tend to over react but when you have been at work all say, put the kid to bed and just wanna chill and this happens, people gonna get techy.

Theorry

I have no idea what that bug is but if people have been playing just fine then i doubt there is much harm letting people wait to download it over night and just play this evening.

Dont get me wrong i know people tend to over react but when you have been at work all say, put the kid to bed and just wanna chill and this happens, people gonna get techy.

Well its a pretty big bug where you get a infinite loading bug for using a specfic thing during a act. :)

Trying to play this on PC just reminds me why I put off PC gaming for so long. The game installed fine, I opened it and it said it required an update and took me to the MS store. Every time I try and install the update it fails and I get error '0x80073CF9'. I try and find solutions and there's dozens of them and none of them work :/

The Windows 10 Store is not representative of how PC gaming is today. Any other client works fine and I can guarantee that you will never encounter any of that garbage with Steam, uPlay, GOG Galaxy, Origin etc.

Top Bottom