• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Still working my way through my insane playthrough of Gears 3 but wanted to give the opening a go before I ended up having it revealed one way or another.

It absolutely lived up to the hype; there are some incredibly deep cuts going on in that segment. Going to replay it for sure when I'm done 3.

Miker

I haven't played Gears since 2 - there's no way to slide into cover from roadie run, right? You have to stop the run and then manually get into cover?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Checked a bit online and still not sure. If I get Gears 4 digital version through my Xbox One/Xbox store do I get the PC version as well?

Campaign is really good. Act I was kinda terrible with the deebees but Act 2 was a step up and made them tolerable. Could have just been from having Marcus around though. Act 3 is some good ass shit, love the atmosphere, playing it late at night in a cold room added a lot lol.

MP is mixed. I feel like it plays well, but the playlist decisions and some of the settings are annoying.

Social being it's own island, why?

Core modes all being divided strictly by gametype, why? Everything but TDM will probably be dead by next year.

Competitive being two modes and taking freaking forever. Quitters/disconnects are crazy right now, and this just ramps it up even more when a escalation match will take 20+ minutes to finish if the other team puts up any kind of fight.

And the loot box/micro transaction set up here SUCKS. The amount you have to grind to afford one customization pack is obscene in MP.

I actually like fighting against the deebees. They offer something different than the usual and are fun to fight/kill for me.

Same, fighting Terminators is a nice change of pace from fighting monsters.

YO, I'm not the only one then. When the DeeBees were coming through fire through the destroyed Outsider settlement gates, I was actually thinking "Man, this is the Terminator game we never got." It felt extremely convincing. A besieged settlement overrun by incredibly strong robots.

Dubz

The only way to play MP on PC is Social. Takes forever all other ways. Looks like I'll be strictly playing MP on the One.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
it is when u click on social quickplay which is so annoying cause nobody plays competitive...i mean, whats the point of casual matches? lol oh well, lets hope more people get the game

To have fun?

Campaign is really good. Act I was kinda terrible with the deebees but Act 2 was a step up and made them tolerable. Could have just been from having Marcus around though. Act 3 is some good ass shit, love the atmosphere, playing it late at night in a cold room added a lot lol.

MP is mixed. I feel like it plays well, but the playlist decisions and some of the settings are annoying.

Social being it's own island, why?

Core modes all being divided strictly by gametype, why? Everything but TDM will probably be dead by next year.

Competitive being two modes and taking freaking forever. Quitters/disconnects are crazy right now, and this just ramps it up even more when a escalation match will take 20+ minutes to finish if the other team puts up any kind of fight.

And the loot box/micro transaction set up here SUCKS. The amount you have to grind to afford one customization pack is obscene in MP.

I like social how it is. Bigger pool to pull from.

I *cannot* get the damned Windows store to download today's update. It's doing something odd like it doesn't know how big the file is. So it first hit "500 of 500 megs" or something like that and stopped.... then nothing happened so I restarted the store and it went up to "700 of 700 megs. and stopped. After another restart now it's at 800 of 800 megs.... and it's not doing anything, but it still says "downloading." Argh.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
PC update reinstalling game...how can I avoid this?

From what I could gather from the the update thread in the official forum for the game, the update is 387.4 MB on windows 10, but it then copies the whole game to a new folder and applies the update there and then deletes the original folder. That's why it stays at 387.4MB/387.4 MB in the download progress while the progress bar behind it is still moving toward 100%.

Lame and slow vs. the norm of just updating/overwriting existing files, but at least not redownloading the whole game I guess. MS really has a lot of improving to do with the Windows 10 store though.

psychotron

My wife got me this game for my birthday today. Holy shit did the Coalition do a great job. Runs great, looks great, and the dialogue has been top notch. Between this and Horizon 3, MS is really getting shit going. I'm loving my XB1 right now.

I haven't played Gears since 2 - there's no way to slide into cover from roadie run, right? You have to stop the run and then manually get into cover?

I double tap or release and tap A as I'm getting close to cover while running, transitions from run to cover slide pretty seamlessly.

3DShovel

This game makes me more angry than literally anything else in this entire planet.

Point blanking dudes and only getting 30% apparently. Fucking bullshit.

But I keep playing, because I'm a fucking asshole. I have a problem.

Beepos

I've found matches instantly for social PC... and being Australian I assume we have a much smaller player base (Although some games run with bots until they fill up).

Really loving the Enforcer for catching Gnasher rushers unaware. At the right distance it's a beast in dropping them before they get close enough to one shot.

0racle

for FUCK sakes

I remember playing the original GOW way back when and I suffered from motion sickness due to the exaggerated and downright pointless roadie run. I heard it was tamed down greatly in this version so I decided to give this a go.

nope, motion sick after 15 minutes. I managed to play through act 1,3 in a few sittings and the game is so well done so far but I cant play it !

anyone in toronto area interested in my copy? send me a PM, 50 CAN and its yours

Anyone else getting the "Buy a copy" button on their Gears PC copy?

I used the Nvidia code but it makes me nervous that it looks like I don't own a full license.

There is an option to "Play" on there and it works fine so I"m not sure if it's a glitch or what.

Loving the campaign so far! Can't shoot for shit w/ the shotty, but after getting the Custom Lancer things are going very smoothly. Love the way that gun feels. Had to pack it in, but I'm on... I think Act 2 Chapter 3? Just walked into
the crashed Condor. Damn that was an epic scene.
Eager for the plot to really get rolling though, right now it's a little bit forced, conflict wise. The leader of COG apparently taking time out of her day to personally wreck little ol' me for what's pretty obviously a misunderstanding strains credibility a smidge. Still, like I said, I'm enjoying myself.

kakashi08

Pre ordered it and have been played since thursday night (6th).

Today I try to play it, it says go to store and download update, and it wont update. stuck at 387.4mb of 387.4mb. I pause and resume it. Still same. Updated windows also.

Life pro tip, if you are trying to talk to people in the pregame lobby on PC you have to go into options, go to audio settings and exit audio settings. This will let your mic work.

Just found that out on my own. So odd.

jrcbandit

Playing this with mouse and keyboard feels weird. Also, the movement made me feel a bit nauseous, it got better with lower mouse sensitivity and I locked my frame rate to 90.

Is the shotgun mostly for multiplayer? Doesn't do much damage at range and you die really fast outside of cover on hardcore difficulty. Also, I'm not sure how to effectively use the chainsaw. I press F but most of the time it doesn't seem to do anything compared to a melee swing. Are you supposed to hold it down or something? It's been so long since I played a Gears game and I never tried with mouse/keyboard before, lol.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I notice when I open my gamercard it lists my full name. Ummmm... I hope other people can't see that info. If so, how do I edit it?

HiiiLife

Playing this with mouse and keyboard feels weird. Also, the movement made me feel a bit nauseous, it got better with lower mouse sensitivity and I locked my frame rate to 90.

Is the shotgun mostly for multiplayer? Doesn't do much damage at range and you die really fast outside of cover on hardcore difficulty. Also, I'm not sure how to effectively use the chainsaw. I press F but most of the time it doesn't seem to do anything compared to a melee swing. Are you supposed to hold it down or something? It's been so long since I played a Gears game and I never tried with mouse/keyboard before, lol.

Gnasher is Gears is Gnasher.

Yes you need to hold it. Also. Don't use the chainsaw. Hammerburst for life.

Mine01

Start off in less competitive modes to get better. Going straight into TDM is going to piss your teammates off if you die constantly.
Was playing koth, what would be the most newbie friendly mode?

Edit: wait core modes are ranked? I thought they were social too just saw I got 1 placement Match.. it explains it then..

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.

Edit: wait core modes are ranked? I thought they were social too just saw I got 1 placement Match.. it explains it then..

Core modes are...competitive only?

What the fuck????????

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Ugh, super busy work week I'm not gonna be able to touch this game till Friday. :(

Core modes are...competitive only?

What the fuck????????
The core modes are also ranked. It's mostly just to matchmake you with people of your skill level. Of course it's not gonna work properly at launch cause it doesn't know how good everyone is yet

HiiiLife

I like how there's an unspoken rule among Gears players of not killing a player you didn't down lol

For the most part at least. You'll get people who kill anything they see every now and then

I've asked this before in this thread and still no answer.

Has anyone, playing this game on Xbox One, experienced any audio skipping or hitching during cutscenes? This keeps happening to me since Thursday (I've had the game since Wednesday of last week).

I've the game installed on external 4TB HDD as I do all my games, I've deleted and reinstalled the game again and my next move is going to move it to the internal drive. This is worrisome af since I haven't read of anyone having this issue on Xbox One.

Top Bottom