• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Velikost

Not huge on Gears multiplayer, but I played my first TDM match at 144hz and hoo boy; secured the win with a double kill using the Torque Bow. Feltgoodman

Chiggs

Gold Member
Promethean Watcher-style enemy? Robots that announce their every move and intent with cheesy voice acting? An NPC screaming "MORE DEEBEES!" 5 times within 20 seconds?

Act 2 was feeling like a chore up until a certain part, and I think I'm past the fucking robots. Hooray!

No. Frankly I would say it isn't worth your time because who the fuck actually cares about Baird?

Who actually gives a shit about any of these characters? I mean, even Marcus and Dom...big whoop.

Dozens do.
im not one of those dozens

JqYTmjn.gif

I don't like Judgment but I love Baird.

tuna_love

Banned
Promethean Watcher-style enemy? Robots that announce their every move and intent with cheesy voice acting? An NPC screaming "MORE DEEBEES!" 5 times within 20 seconds?

Act 2 was feeling like a chore up until a certain part, and I think I'm past the fucking robots. Hooray!

Who actually gives a shit about any of these characters? I mean, even Marcus and Dom...big whoop.

i like them

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

You come across as a masochist that hates these games yet still plays them...

If you don't enjoy the campaigns and storylines/characters. Why are you 4 or 5 games into the series still chugging along?

Aka, a lot of people care about these characters.

Except Baird. No one cares about him.

I haven't played Judgement yet... is it a necessity to have played it before GoW4? Are there any references? I've beaten the first 3 games

Not necessary in order to enjoy Gears 4. Seeing as you've played the trilogy I'd say go on to Gears 4. Would I play Judgement if I were you after finishing up Gears 4? I would. People Can Fly tried changes to make Gears their own and they weren't warmly received but it's not a bad game. It's just a "different" Gears game.

Certainly the prettiest outta all the X360 outings imho.

If you don't enjoy the campaigns and storylines/characters. Why are you 4 or 5 games into the series still chugging along?

Aka, a lot of people care about these characters.

Except Baird. No one cares about him.

Hey I care about Baird, no seriously I do.
I got all giddy during that second chapter in Act 5 when we see Baird and Cole. I let out a big "fuck yea". Fucking Baird looking like Stone Cold Steve Austin.

On Act 3, loving the constant action.

But what I really REALLY love is the multiplayer... Its just so fast and fluid, its enjoyable compared to GOW Ultimate Edition.

Yoday

I'm on Act III and absolutely loving the game so far. The only downside so far is that it seems like it could be quite a bit shorter than past Gears games. At the current pace of each act it feels like it will end up being a 5-6hr game at most.

Corpekata

Banned
Surprised how well this handles on KBAM, the odd binding like V for execute not withstanding. I switched to controller for Gears Ult pretty quickly, just shows its age and felt clunkly on kbam. This though feels pretty damn great.

This multiplayer is soooooo damn good! Mann.. With Gears 4, Halo 5 and Smash 64, my multiplayer gaming is B L I S S :]
There's no set respawn time. If the enemy picks up the boomshot, another one won't spawn until they waste their ammo or the weapon is taken off the map with them dying while they had out their alternate weapon.

It won't spawn every 90 seconds like previous games. It was a rough estimate but once the weapon is not in play, I think it respawns in 30 seconds. Don't quote me on the time though
Just played a lot tonight and I forgot to time it lol, but that seems about right.

So am I right in my assumption that Operations Packs are better than Elite Packs if you care about Horde in the least?

The Horde skills seem ridiculously important.

Chiggs

Gold Member

I like the mechanics and the monsters; not nasally robots that say moronic garbage like "Defiance not advised."

Ronny93

My only problem till now is Competitive. I searched 10 times, each time it says "Expected: 3+ min." and never finds a game. Only extending the player pool etc. I think this game needs to match ranked more loose and needs a player count number for each mode.

Starting today I've been experiencing a half second hitch in versus every time a round begins-- 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, go, HITCH, perfect...anyone else experiencing this?

Starting today I've been experiencing a half second hitch in versus every time a round begins-- 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, go, HITCH, perfect...anyone else experiencing this?

Yeah, it's a bug introduced in the new update. The freeze can happen in the middle of the match too which sucks.

Hopefully will be fixed soon.

Haines

Banned
The hitch in frames when you jump at the start of a match is enough to piss me off.

I hate that shit.

Edit
Holy crappie. Posted and than notice it's the exact thing being talked about.

So it's just a bug?

JimiNutz

Banned
Not necessary in order to enjoy Gears 4. Seeing as you've played the trilogy I'd say go on to Gears 4. Would I play Judgement if I were you after finishing up Gears 4? I would. People Can Fly tried changes to make Gears their own and they weren't warmly received but it's not a bad game. It's just a "different" Gears game.

Certainly the prettiest outta all the X360 outings imho.

I've only played through Judgement once but I actually remember thinking that the campaign was pretty decent. Gameplay wise I think I preferred it to Gears 3....

Happens to me every time after yesterday's update on Xbox One. Not only that, but menu seems to have some problems too, like going into customization everything will freeze for a second or two.

Anyway, what did they introduce with this patch? Fuck the game up because it was too smooth?

Wait, it copies the whole game to a different folder when it updates on PC? WTF, I don't have that amount of space on my SSD.

EDIT: Ok, you don't actually need another 80GB free. It will still work.

BizzyBum

This game has a lot of missing quality of life features.

I dig the game, but the menus are horrid. No ingame friends list at the tap of a button to see who's on and set up parties, can't see what bounty I have equipped without going into the menu, post game stats disappear when people leave the match and can't view once you left. Overall it's very sluggish but the performance should get patched eventually.

Quitters are also a huge problem right now with no jip. Obviously Coalition needs to make the penalty harsher.

Figments

Holy shit, I've discovered something amazing. If you have the Xbox keypad, you can use it to open and use text chat in the console version of the game. T to open chat in the lobby, U to open Global chat in-game. What's the key to open Team Chat in-game on PC? It's probably the same on the console version.

I don't want this to go away.

It's too good.

Now just bundle chatpads with every Xbox One, Microsoft. Pls do eet.

malfcn

I can deal with the hitch at the beginning of s match. But having hitch and drop in the middle of a battle or active Reload is terrible.

They really need to autofill empty slots in horde mode, it's my favourite thing to do, and I hate spending 2hrs per round just to have people bail and the 2 guys who stay with me just aren't enough to succeed past later levels.

I mean its one thing to leave after several wipes and things aren't going to work, but God it's brutal how as soon as the wave 10 or 20 bounties are over so many people just drop group.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Got to Wave 36 on Horde earlier today. Then someone quit. Still was pretty dang fun. I unlocked the Mortar for the heavy weapons character, very nice.

Top Bottom