• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Sanjuro

I have no idea actually. I just know that in the customization menu they have Totino's characters. I just want to play as a pizza roll. :'(

Also, I think my biggest complaint of this game is the menu music. It's amongst my top worst list.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I have redeemed a few. Seems like the weapon and emblem skins are just different colors of the rockstar logo.
Yeah, but I still want em cause I'm a cosmetic hoarder :3

Also Ten international artists compete to have their design immortalized in Gears of War 4. The top five vote getters will be made available as free DLC, so vote for your favorite! All five are free when you purchase and play before December 31, 2016.
I have no idea actually. I just know that in the customization menu they have Totino's characters. I just want to play as a pizza roll. :'(

Also, I think my biggest complaint of this game is the menu music. It's amongst my top worst list.

Yeah. I found the overall sound design a bit weak. It lacks the powerful feeling, everything but the "end of combat" tune sounds a bit meh. Weapon sounds too sounds a bit like toy guns which is a shame because I really like everything else.

More meaty gun sounds! Plis!

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
About 8ish hours I'd say. It's real good, and if you like Horde as well then there's a lot there with new maps coming each month and what a lot of people feel is the best version of Horde so far.

OK cool, that about lines up with Gears 3 I think

Ballistik

So the codes on the cans, any can works? Because I know that there are four different art designs, I thought maybe it corresponded to specific rewards.

Because yeah, I bought way more than four cans before doing any research, so I'll probably be giving some codes out once I get to it.

So the codes on the cans, any can works? Because I know that there are four different art designs, I thought maybe it corresponded to specific rewards.

Because yeah, I bought way more than four cans before doing any research, so I'll probably be giving some codes out once I get to it.

The first 4 cans unlock the 4 different skin packs, it doesnt matter which can. Every can after that unlocks xp reward cards. Also every code entered enters you into the drawings for the big prizes like 4k tv's and such.

To get the bonus Walmart Acid Omen skin, use the first two codes on the normal website: https://gears4.rockstarenergy.com/us/

Then use the other two codes on the Walmart Rockstar Site: https://gears4.rockstarenergy.com/walmart

That will get you all 4 unlocks plus the 5th Walmart unlock.

On the rockstar site there are 4 different skinpacks listed, Hydro74 gold metal lancer, Hydro74 red metal lancer, Hernandez Luchador lancer, and Godmachine Valkyrie lancer. Walmart also has 2 other skins?

JB1981

Between the 4 days it took me to just download this game on the MS PC Store, the 6 hours it took me today to download this game on XB1 and now the interminable wait times in the MP lobbies, I have to say this is the worst first impression I've had of a videogame in a very long time. What the FUCK is this with the load times? Jesus Christ is this for real?!!

I feel like I have been elaborately trolled by MS for buying this game

Estimated wait time: "more than 3 minutes." Huh?

JB1981

Hmm 60fps in MP actually feels weird and I'm not crazy about how the shotgun feels. Game feels like it lacks the visceral, gritty feel of previous titles.

Halabane

Between the 4 days it took me to just download this game on the MS PC Store, the 6 hours it took me today to download this game on XB1 and now the interminable wait times in the MP lobbies, I have to say this is the worst first impression I've had of a videogame in a very long time. What the FUCK is this with the load times? Jesus Christ is this for real?!!

I feel like I have been elaborately trolled by MS for buying this game

Estimated wait time: "more than 3 minutes." Huh?

Feeling it too...locked out because it wants to do an update on the pc store been over half an hour must be one heck of an update.

Jobbs

Banned
Hmm 60fps in MP actually feels weird and I'm not crazy about how the shotgun feels. Game feels like it lacks the visceral, gritty feel of previous titles.

I adore the feel of everything. Reminds me of Gears 1. 2 and 3 always felt wrong.

I put hundreds of hours into Gears 1 mp back in 2006 - 2008 and from that perspective I almost couldn't be happier with Gears 4. It's perfect.

...Other than the technical issues (on XB1 lots of stuttering and ridiculously laggy and freezey menus).

bumpkin

Hmm... Was the pack of skins with old man Marcus, Tomorrow Anya and Zombie Dom specific to preordering from certain places? I don't think I ever got a code for them but I did preorder.

nOoblet16

I'm trying to arrange a private versus match today, there are some people on Discord GearsGaf up for it...so just want to register interest here.

Taking in players from PC and Xbox both.

I'm on Xbox myself so don't get scared of the master race...you have a friend with you and we will hold our ground !!
Anyone?

DirtyLarry

I am on Act II Stage 2 so have played around 2 or 3 hours so far (playing on my own), and as someone who has enjoyed Gears since Day 1, I am feeling pretty burned out already.

Sticking to the tried and true GoW formula that so many people love is just feeling a tad too traditional. For the most part the genre of 3rd Person Action Shooter has made a decent amount of advancements that if this game just incorporated some of them would make it feel a bit more modern I guess is the best way I can describe it.

My specific example of what I mean...
We are currently escaping Marcus's home and some windstorm comes along. It goes to a cut scene of Marcus saying the structure they are in would hold, it eventually did not, and one of those airplanes was flying ahead and got struck down by lightning and came crashing down towards everyone. This was all done via a static cutscene. No control at all on my end. Why couldn't that whole scene have unfolded as I was playing through it? It just would have felt so much more in line with modern games.
Games like Tomb Raider and Uncharted also have very similar scenes and even though it is pretty much a cutscene, the player is still controlling the character. It is not static. It is interactive. In this day and age, I kind of expect these types of scenes to be interactive, even if they actually are not.

So it is little shit like that where I think the game gets held back from greatness and tends to feel on the more simplistic side of things. So far it really has just been shooting gallery - cut scene - shooting gallery - cut scene. While Gears still has some of, if not the very best gunplay among 3rd person shooters, it is starting to feel very predictable and formulaic.

I also hope for the sake of my own sanity the enemy type changes really, really soon, as I am tired of
these damn COG robots.

I just already feel like I am forcing myself to continue playing hoping it gets better and hoping it picks up. It very well may, but it is pretty early on for me to already be feeling all of this.

It also is more evident than ever this game is best played in CoOp, and while the earlier games were the same deal, best enjoyed with others, I also felt they still kept the solo player in mind. This game not so much and it is very clear to me it would be way more fun with others.

Hopefully it picks up, as especially with all the other games coming out, there is a very real possibility I stop playing it soon never to revisit it. That would be a shame and the first time ever I never beat a GoW Campaign.

Halabane

Feeling it too...locked out because it wants to do an update on the pc store been over half an hour must be one heck of an update.
forget being locked out. it now is making me reinstall the entire game...damn...nope wait...can't even do that...its more error messages....great.

funny my money got taken now its my job to go and figure out what is screwed up so I can play the game. man I wish this was on steam. for the love of God MS give up. you don't know what are you are doing.

leng jai

The difficulty on Hardcore is just plain weird. You seem to get downed super fast but at the same time rarely ever die because the AI keeps reviving you.

lol no it's more difficult or lol no at hoping it eases up?

because it's definitely harder. The enemies are much more aggressive and actually react to what you're doing. For example when they wind up to throw a grenade, in previous games they would still keep winding it up even if you were shooting at them or about to (charging a torque or scoping in with a sniper) but in this game they go back into cover. When throwing nades in previous games, the enemies would still stay in cover, in this they actually avoid it.

edit - also little stuff like in previous games if you had a sniper and picked up an ammo box, it gave you ammo for the sniper as well. In this, it doesn't.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The difficulty on Hardcore is just plain weird. You seem to get downed super fast but at the same time rarely ever die because the AI keeps reviving you.

Yep and an enemy that downed you will never go for the execution, only if more are around you sometimes get executed. There's a pretty high chance of you making it out if don't get ohk'ed.

btw I'm playing Judgment and it don't think it's too bad so far, it's like Gears arcade mode. Not a big fan of the forced horde though, already had two of these sections and its very chaotic in a very small space. I do like the extra challenges per stage, if it's not time based.

aBarreras

Yep and an enemy that downed you will never go for the execution, only if more are around you sometimes get executed. There's a pretty high chance of you making it out if don't get ohk'ed.

thats not my experience at all, and i was playing co op, enemies totally go for the kill, especially the juvies

JimiNutz

Banned
Hmm... Was the pack of skins with old man Marcus, Tomorrow Anya and Zombie Dom specific to preordering from certain places? I don't think I ever got a code for them but I did preorder.

Exactly the same for me.
I contacted Amazon and they told me to contact MS?
MS then told me not to worry, I will receive my code via my Xbox One but that they are sending them out in waves?

Dahaka

PC version:

how can I change the language ingame? It's German but I always played Gears in English and I want it that way again.

thats not my experience at all, and i was playing co op, enemies totally go for the kill, especially the juvies

The AI seems to help you way less on co-op. I played a bit of Hardcore on solo too and they were on top of me when I went down. In co-op, they kinda hang back and let your buddy do it, which can be bad, as executions happen as soon as you go down basically on that difficulty. Juvies love to do it, the lil' shits.

lol no it's more difficult or lol no at hoping it eases up?

because it's definitely harder. The enemies are much more aggressive and actually react to what you're doing. For example when they wind up to throw a grenade, in previous games they would still keep winding it up even if you were shooting at them or about to (charging a torque or scoping in with a sniper) but in this game they go back into cover. When throwing nades in previous games, the enemies would still stay in cover, in this they actually avoid it.

edit - also little stuff like in previous games if you had a sniper and picked up an ammo box, it gave you ammo for the sniper as well. In this, it doesn't.

It doesnt ease up is what I took from their post. Imo this gears is not so much harder as it is different. The AI behave differently and some of the things they do goes against what previous gears games taught you.

On a side note is there a gamertag list for horder or matchmaking? all 3 of our first horde experiences with randoms resulted in us carrying everyone and them quitting after their many deaths in easy rounds... Was only on normal difficulty too =V

shoreu

In a tense round of Warzone or Dodgeball when you're the last man standing, grenade tagging is a godsend. It also fits very well with horde. Why don't you like it?

It's an Ugly camping tool imo. I don't feel like it has a place in the game besides horde. I'll admit it's better that Gears 2 but still i don't enjoy it's presence

what the FUCK happened between microsoft and amazon? I won't get it till the 17th and if you try to get a new copy it's backordered for a month!

I'm a bit disappointed they hired Ramin Djawadi for the soundtrack and he just got fucking wasted. Gears 1 had a memorable theme, Gears 2/3 had a memorable theme, and Gears 4 gets nothing.

I was surprised to see they got him as a composer. I thought the music in the main theme reminded me a bit of 'Light of the Seven' from GoT season 6 when I started playing, then I see it's by the same guy.

Top Bottom