• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Jobbs

Banned
Loving having Gears MP back in my life but really really disappointed with the lag.

It's not horrendous but it's bad.
Not my Internet either. I play a lot of online games on both Xbox One and PS4 and Gears is the worst I've played in a long while.
When it's smooth it's soooooo good though so I'll keep on playing.

Hopefully the servers improve soon.

I don't know if it's the servers but something is going on. Game freezes a lot and navigating the menus could be considered a form of medieval torture

I think I'd like to get some campaign DLC, a kind of bridge to Gears 5.

Not saying it needs to come out now but next Summer or Autumn would be perfect and they can sell it standalone or as part of a complete edition when all the maps have been released.

I'd buy it!

f@luS

More than a member.
I'm having my video settings reset every time I start the game. Any way to save them for good ?

Granjinha

Is anyone having trouble when playing online co-op? I'm on windows (and my friend too) and we just error out when trying to host (both).

Leyasu

Banned
Loving having Gears MP back in my life but really really disappointed with the lag.

It's not horrendous but it's bad.
Not my Internet either. I play a lot of online games on both Xbox One and PS4 and Gears is the worst I've played in a long while.
When it's smooth it's soooooo good though so I'll keep on playing.

Hopefully the servers improve soon.

A couple of times I have wondered if they have not done a 343 and just thrown me into any fucking server... I.E, out of region.

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't know if it's the servers but something is going on. Game freezes a lot and navigating the menus could be considered a form of medieval torture

It's taking absolutely ages to find any games on ranked either.
I would like to play some placement matches so that it starts matching me with people of similar skill but it's an absolute nightmare finding a game....

A couple of times I have wondered if they have not done a 343 and just thrown me into any fucking server... I.E, out of region.

I suppose that's possible too but I don't see why they'd need to. Surely there has to be a healthy population playing?

Do they ever shuffle you to the other side in Social Quick play? Trying to make use of a Del bounty card and was Swarm for 4 straight lobbies. Hope they fix this.

Ducayne

There's no Cinema mode, right?

I got a killer triple kill with a grenade but it was around the corner and missed seeing it on screen :(

RavenHawk

So far I have only been able to play in short spurts and I have only made it to Chapter 1, Act 4, but I am genuinely curious...
does the game begin to "pick up" soon?
Shooting robots and carrying luggage isn't really doing it for me. Lol.

Moofers

So far I have only been able to play in short spurts and I have only made it to Chapter 1, Act 4, but I am genuinely curious...
does the game begin to "pick up" soon?
Shooting robots and carrying luggage isn't really doing it for me. Lol.

Hang tight. It only gets better.

nOoblet16

I'm trying to arrange a private versus match today, there are some people on Discord GearsGaf up for it...so just want to register interest here.

Taking in players from PC and Xbox both.

I'm on Xbox myself so don't get scared of the master race...you have a friend with you and we will hold our ground !!

I started playing this game on insane but I am still on the prologue. I have beaten all the other Gears games on insane but this one seems way more difficult. I hope it eases up some soon.

Moofers

Has anyone bought the Ultimate Edition on disc and then bought the regular version for PC? I'm wondering if my season pass from the UE will already be there if I get a digital copy of the regular edition and try to play on PC. Seems like it should work?

I think I might go buy a new PC soon and I'm excited to be able to play Gears anywhere in my house! I just got a new PC like 3 months ago from Newegg but the motherboard had some issue and I had to return it. Gears being out is an incentive for me to get that replacement!

Gestault

Now I'm sure I'm a bit out of practice, but I've completed all the previous Gears games on solo Insane, and I started the Gears 4 campaign on Hardcore, and found the normal enemies were waaay durable. I played some normal campaign last night, and while it was tons easier, it felt like...frankly, a better game. The number of enemies and enemy distributions I was seeing on normal make me imagine higher difficulties just being miserable. Even just in terms of ammo management.

This may have just been a period of adjustment, but does anyone else have reactions to the enemy health levels in campaign? I adore what I've played in co-op though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Since I also got a code for Judgment, the only Gears game I never played, I took my 360 out of its retirement and fired up the download. I don't expect much since most seem to hate it, but I'm in the mood for more Gears campaign, so I'll see how it is.

Now I'm sure I'm a bit out of practice, but I've completed all the previous Gears games on solo Insane, and I started the Gears 4 campaign on Hardcore, and found the normal enemies were waaay durable. I played some normal campaign last night, and while it was tons easier, it felt like...frankly, a better game. The number of enemies and enemy distributions I was seeing on normal make me imagine higher difficulties just being miserable. Even just in terms of ammo management.

This may have just been a period of adjustment, but does anyone else have reactions to the enemy health levels in campaign? I'm sort of feelings things out.

I am playing insane coop with my wife and the first thing she said was my god these enemies are bullet sponges.

That prologue is amazing.
Yes, it's total fan service but they could have just phoned it in and made a lame cutscene.
The fact that they made it playable is commendable. Kudos to you Coalition.

Moofers

This may have just been a period of adjustment, but does anyone else have reactions to the enemy health levels in campaign? I adore what I've played in co-op though.

Its a harder game this time. Horde mode on Casual can still kill you in the first 10 waves if you get reckless. That was almost never a concern in Gears 3 horde.

Madness

I preordered the game so long ago. And yet Amazon Canada still has not shipped it. They are purposely delaying it since I am not a Prime user. Says shipping October 20th to 27th. Inexcusable as a Gears fan. This launch night was ruined for me. Launch week is the best time to play.

Insane in this game is IMHO not even fun. The other games I got through, but in this game I'm struggling to even kill a few deebees with the ammo supplied. The checkpoints feel more spread out too.

I solo'd Hardcore and really enjoyed it and struggled in places. Hardcore in Gears 4 feels like Insane in the other games.

I'm crying over this this anger......god its hilarious!!!

dVFJGso.gif

That's not even something to get mad about... 97% damage, it's not like he completely missed. His aim seems slightly off when he slides towards the wall. But, I guess some people think everything is the game's fault and never because your aim was off.

That's not even something to get mad about... 97% damage, it's not like he completely missed. His aim seems slightly off when he slides towards the wall. But, I guess some people think everything is the game's fault and never because your aim was off.

yup I saw it live. He is a whiney ass child. He consistently missed and made dumbass plays and raged up to that point.

I watched a pro stream after that and he had NO problems and only blame himself when he even slightly missed. The maturity and skill difference was staggering.

I preordered the game so long ago. And yet Amazon Canada still has not shipped it. They are purposely delaying it since I am not a Prime user. Says shipping October 20th to 27th. Inexcusable as a Gears fan. This launch night was ruined for me. Launch week is the best time to play.

that is horrible, that is why I try to get at physical stores, or make sure I get a back up plan. Amazon in US was giving the digital codes for people who had delays on the shipping

Xyber

30 minutes of searching and still haven't found a single competitive game on PC.

Stupid MS store exclusive killing the game before it even got started.

BizzyBum

The funniest part about that GoldGlove rage was he's streaming in front of thousands of people and his rage was so bad that he still couldn't help wrecking his shit in front of thousands of his viewers.

30 minutes of searching and still haven't found a single competitive game on PC.

Stupid MS store exclusive killing the game before it even got started.

I bet there are still plenty of people who haven't been able to install the game yet and probably given up by now. I feel bad for The Coalition. They've made an amazing PC version of the game, and it's going to be completely dead because MS can't even make a client that works.

Been storming my way through the campaign so far and I gotta say, this is pretty damn awful so far. That's not a major issue since I got it mostly for Horde anyway and I've heard it gets better at Ch.3 which I'm not starting. But man,
These freaking robots are so boring to shoot at and then the end of Ch 2 was one of the worst and outdated gaming cliches I've played in a long time.
Really hope it picks up since I usually enjoy the campaigns mildly but right now I'm not feeling it at all.

Already getting tempted to just jump into MP instead.

Edit: Ok Campain will stay unfinished. Since the game froze my computer when I tried to close it earlier it also just wiped all progress and started me back at the beginning of Chapter 2.

JimiNutz

Banned

I've completed every Gears on Insane and the enemies have always taken a lot of damage on Insane.

That being said the DeeBees take a fucking beating. I'm playing this one on Hardcore to start with and am not ashamed to admit that I died a few times on Act 1 even! Might just be where I'm not used to these enemy types though because haven't died yet on Act 2 and seem to be dealing with them easily now.

Am yet to face The Swarm though...

I died a fair few times on Hardcore. Enemies hit like trains and soak up damage like a sponge - essentially, it's typical Gears, but harder for some reason. lol

I think pounchers and juvies really change the flow of the game and keep you moving (making you more vulnerable).

The new close-cover-combat system teases and begs you to come forward, but again it leaves you more exposed. I played much more aggressive in this campaign and got killed more as a result.

They definitely do more damage too.

Stanng243

I've heard that you can't play horde offline. Is that true? Gears of War 3 made me get a 360. 4 might get me to get a Xbox one S, but I've got no interest in online multiplayer or getting gold.

TK-421

Does anyone need the Gears 4 rockstar tab codes (https://gears4.rockstarenergy.com/us/)? (US only FYI)

My local 7-11 has the cans in stock, so I'd pick some up and send the codes over for Paypal. It's 2 for $4, and you need 4 codes total if you want to redeem all the available skins/emblems.

Let me know.

Does anyone need the Gears 4 rockstar tab codes (https://gears4.rockstarenergy.com/us/)? (US only FYI)

My local 7-11 has the cans in stock, so I'd pick some up and send the codes over for Paypal. It's 2 for $4, and you need 4 codes total if you want to redeem all the available skins/emblems.

Let me know.

Are you sure it isnt 2 for $3? I have been buying them since the new cans came out and they are always on sale at the 7-11 near my house for 2 for $3.

bede-x

This has got such a great feel to it. Really like how smoothly you transition from one move to another, especially compared to the old games all of which I've played throughout the last year. It might not feel as heavy, but nimbly jumping from cover to cover has its own charm. Also major props to The Coalition for making both versions run well. They both feel like exclusive first party releases, which can't have been easy, considering how few developers are able to achieve the same result.

Artistically I still prefer the old games, but technically this is probably up there with Assassin's Creed Unity as one of the best looking games out there. In my book performance is king and this runs like a dream, particularly on PC, so it doesn't really matter that a few textures aren't as sharp as expected.

Still haven't had enough time with it due to Windows Store issues, but regardless of how I end up feeling about the entire package in the end, at this point I feel I can breathe a sigh of relief. Gears of Wars is in good hands with The Coalition.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
is the campaign about the same length as Gears 2 and 3? really enjoy these games but the competitive multiplayer doesn't do much for me

is the campaign about the same length as Gears 2 and 3? really enjoy these games but the competitive multiplayer doesn't do much for me

About 8ish hours I'd say. It's real good, and if you like Horde as well then there's a lot there with new maps coming each month and what a lot of people feel is the best version of Horde so far.

Storm360

Anyone noticed that the keyboard appears to have full support in the Xbox One version of the game (but the mouse doesn't work at all), the prompts in the menus etc even change to Enter)

Top Bottom