• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Darkangel

Just got this running on PC, what an intro!

My RX480 1080p Ultra benchmark if anyone is interested:
DLMJ7K0.jpg

So here's a thought:

I wonder if they couldn't just do cross-platform competitive multiplayer and just have it be that PC players grade much higher due to using KBM?

I'm just not sure why integrating KBM players with controller players is any more imbalanced than integrating controller players of differing skill levels.

I think it's more than that even. Playing at 144 fps compared to 60 also gives you an inherent advantage I think. However slight it might be.

I blows my mind how little people mark. Especially in social where there are zero mics. I don't think I ever died in a face to face battle. Every death was from my teammates behind me watching someone just mosey on up behind me and end me.

tuna_love

Banned
I blows my mind how little people mark. Especially in social where there are zero mics. I don't think I ever died in a face to face battle. Every death was from my teammates behind me watching someone just mosey on up behind me and end me.
they always try and chainsaw dudes behind me and i die :(

aBarreras

I honestly like the DeeBees. All the weapons they bring are badass. The little rolling shock drones keep you moving cover to cover. The huge guys jump over cover and stomp you out. They're great.

they bring something different yeah, i mean i also loved to be gibbing grubs and shit, but the deebees are great, totally diferent kind of enemies no reason to hate them

Justinh

Really not making it easy to resist buying this game.

Everyone I know its getting it :(

Gooble-Gobble...

How many credits are you guys getting from Horde matches? I've only gotten to like... Wave 8 before everyone else quits and I think I only got 42 credits.

.la1n

The deebee fights didn't bother me as much as I thought they would, shakes things up a bit. Graphics are more impressive than I thought they'd be from press release stuff.
The new gears crew hasn't grown on me yet but still plenty more to go. Exactly as
I wanted a new gears entry, refine the old without completely reinventing the game. Kudos to The Coalition.

Kalentan

Anyone else get $10 for preordering with Paypal? Even though I did not pre-order with paypal? Then I checked my Microsoft account and see that I have $23 on my account. What?

Apparently I got also a $13 Xbox Live Rewards Deposit?

Anyone else?

Grisby

Wait, wait, wait, wait. I just finished the campaign.

Final line spoilers:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"It was my grandmother's."^^^^^^^^

I literally just (also game ending spoiler)
figured out whose medallion that is.

What.

aBarreras

Anyone else get $10 for preordering with Paypal? Even though I did not pre-order with paypal? Then I checked my Microsoft account and see that I have $23 on my account. What?

Apparently I got also a $13 Xbox Live Rewards Deposit?

Anyone else?

someone made a thread about geting 15 bucks if you pre ordered it on the microsoft store or something

vort3x

I restarted and now it works.

Btw, is it me or you can't change weapons (lancer/Enforcer etc...) in competitive?

Yup same. And you aren't alone on the weapon change part. Looks like they want equal weapon starts. Played Execution and was mad I couldn't pick my hammy :(

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So game isn't that surprising graphically, playing on PC at 1440p with some settings ultra or high. Gameplay seems a bit slower than what I remember. Only got to the first act now. Are those cutscenes pre recorded or real time? Cuz damn

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Gears newb here.

How relentless is the online community?

tuna_love

Banned
So game isn't that surprising graphically, playing on PC at 1440p with some settings ultra or high. Gameplay seems a bit slower than what I remember. Only got to the first act now. Are those cutscenes pre recorded or real time? Cuz damn
if youre playing at 1440 its pretty obvious the cut scenes arent real time

KAOS

Really enjoyed the campaign time to dive into multiplayer! Once again kudos to The Coalition and Rob Fergusson!

BizzyBum

Having so much trouble on Multiplayer, its just full of these stupid good players, its just frustrating at this point.

Most of the people playing Gears 4 have been playing the multiplayer for 10 years and the gameplay hasn't really changed much so it will no doubt be brutal facing these people, more so if they are grouped up and making call outs.

Gears newb here.

How relentless is the online community?

You're going to get curb stomped for months, but it's fun.

Gaz_RB

Game is a lot of fun and I'm impressed with the performance. Just like Forza, however, I'm disgusted yet amazed at how terrible the windows store is. It truly is incredible how fucked up the entire process is. It's a joke.

As for the game, soundtrack is more background noise than anything. I also have the same problem with the DBs as I did with the Prometheans in post-Bungie Halo (interesting how both 343 and The Coalition decided to go in that direction. Robots and metal things are not fun to fight, especially when you used to be fighting things like Covenant and Locust that had great damage feedback. Not sure why they felt the need to reinvent a whole new enemy type that is less fun to fight.

I think you missread what I typed, I said stupid GOOD players, not stupid new players.
Agreed. Havent seen many noobs. Granted, people have had 5 games to train.

so is this or Forza Horizon 3 the better looking game (PC)?...if I could only get 1 game, which should it be?
Gears. Forza is not so great of a port.

Edzi

So does Horde mode just never end? I tried it out for the first time just now with some randoms and we lost on wave 30, but the game just let us continue after that with a reset score. I just left afterwards, but I'm not sure if I was expected to stick around longer.

Wait, wait, wait, wait. I just finished the campaign.

Final line spoilers:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"It was my grandmother's."^^^^^^^^

I literally just (also game ending spoiler)
figured out whose medallion that is.

What.

Could you explain? I just beat it too and I must be missing something massive because that just felt like it cut short. I expected another chapter or two :/

Vinc

Oof. This game really hits the spot so far, I'm absolutely loving it. I really didn't expect to like it so much.

Bucca

So any series vets got some tips for the MP of Gears for someone that's basically brand new?

Grisby

Could you explain? I just beat it too and I must be missing something massive because that just felt like it cut short. I expected another chapter or two :/
MASSIVE game ending spoiler:
Kait's grandmom is, or related to, the locust queen. That was her medallion and the locust symbol on the back

Fixed my earlier issue of audio skipping and hitching during cutscenes. Moved the game to the internal HDD from my 4TB external drive and it works like a charm.

UberLevi

Does anyone know what I can do to stop my visuals from degrading as I play? Seems like after 20 or 30 minutes all my textures are muddy and my lighting is spastic.

Syinn

Neo Member
So any series vets got some tips for the MP of Gears for someone that's basically brand new?

If you're playing by yourself always stick with someone on your team even if they don't have mics. If you roll alone and don't stick with anyone you're gonna get wrecked.

Mark EVERY enemy you see. It helps massively.

If possible get power weapons, they're important for control. Learn the maps, go co-op versus or private and get a feel for the maps.

Practice with the gnasher. fights more often than not become close range, if you're having trouble use the enforcer and active reloads for that damage boost.

Bucca

If you're playing by yourself always stick with someone on your team even if they don't have mics. If you roll alone and don't stick with anyone you're gonna get wrecked.

Mark EVERY enemy you see. It helps massively.

If possible get power weapons, they're important for control. Learn the maps, go co-op versus or private and get a feel for the maps.

Practice with the gnasher. fights more often than not become close range, if you're having trouble use the enforcer and active reloads for that damage boost.

Awesome, thanks!

Top Bottom