• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

UberLevi

Is there any way to start the horde waves early in the campaign? I'm on
Act 5, Chapter 2's final wave of horde defense
and keep getting killed and the two minute setup is brutal.

aBarreras

Is there any way to start the horde waves early in the campaign? I'm on
Act 5, Chapter 2's final wave of horde defense
and keep getting killed and the two minute setup is brutal.

is the back button or select or i dont know how the fuck is called on the xbox one, the buttone on the left haha

Is it just me or is this campaign 800x unforgiving on Insane than other Gears campaigns..?

I mean shit, I solo'd Judgment Insane with all declassified missions over the summer, and this feels way harder than that. My buddy and I have been getting our asses handed to us, we're finally scraping by the finale of Act I.

There's this really fucking annoying thing that I swear never happened in other Gears where you can still get hit within 1-2 seconds of retreating into cover even though you're fully in the cover already. Pop up, fire my gun, pop back down, and they're still hitting me. God damn.

Uh, excuse me? Haha

EZy55vH.gif

like half your shots dont even register lol

look at the ammo counter

just another gears moment unfortunately. gotta keep the tradition going, can't throw away a decade legacy

leeh

like half your shots dont even register lol

look at the ammo counter

just another gears moment unfortunately. gotta keep the tradition going, can't throw away a decade legacy
Yup,I got 52% in 7 hits with the Gnasher last night at the longshot spawn on Gridlock when I was in some dudes face. The rage...

"Gears 4 graphics don't pack the punch and wow that Gears 1 did in its day"

HAHAHAHAH my fucking ass. Easily the best visuals on Xbox, and insanely close to Uncharted 4.

4 looks great, but 1 was the most visually amazing game ever when it came out. nothing was even remotely in its league until crysis a year later.

"insanely close to uncharted 4" is not the same as "easily the best-looking game ever made".

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
4 looks great, but 1 was the most visually amazing game ever when it came out. nothing was even remotely in its league until crysis a year later.

"insanely close to uncharted 4" is not the same as "easily the best-looking game ever made".

Eh. While Gears did look amazing, there were a ton of good looking games that year and next year that raised the bar with Gears. Bioshock, Modern Warfare, Halo 3, etc.

Eh. While Gears did look amazing, there were a ton of good looking games that year and next year that raised the bar with Gears. Bioshock, Modern Warfare, Halo 3, etc.

halo 3 and modern warfare did interesting things but didn't have the punch of gears (halo 3 in particular was considered pretty visually unimpressive in comparison at the time, though i think it's technically great), and bioshock was more a demonstration of what you could do artistically with similar tech.

what the quote the guy i quoted quoted was saying is that gears was a total visual bombshell when it came out that raised the bar across the industry. the next one of those was crysis. gears 4 is not a game like that.

painey

played a few acts of campaign and jumped into horde. Very odd how they have changed horde mode so much every time, when I pretty much thought it was perfect to begin with. It feels like they have gone WAY too free2play with their unlocks. The level system is useless now, and there's way too few credit drops for the time you play.

Tecnniqe

Banned
"Gears 4 graphics don't pack the punch and wow that Gears 1 did in its day"

HAHAHAHAH my fucking ass. Easily the best visuals on Xbox, and insanely close to Uncharted 4.
But but it only looks meeeh. Meediiiocreee!¡1

I think it looks great on PC. Sure it's not BF1 level graphics but ACT III and up really shows what it's good for. Amazing atmosphere.

leng jai

Gears 4 looks great at times, but it's not as consistent as other top tier games. First few chapters in particular look very mediocre. The start of Act 4 Chapter 5 for example looks absolutely incredible.

leng jai

It was funny
shooting the buzzkill for the first time in a wind storm and having the projectiles just fly off to the side

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah, they need to make this is a priority fix. He fired 5 shots and only 3 came out, that's unacceptable.

It's fairly acceptable for a gears game ;P
This is the series where a starting weapon was tourney banned, or which gave new meaning to host advantage. >_>

I can see how this would make things difficult. Although most of the times I go down, it's because I'm poppin my head out eventhough I'm heavily injured.

snatchers are a bitch, not much else tbh. Yeah, some parts take a ton of time, but if you take that time it's not hard.

A solid 9/10.

Dialogue could of been way better, but everything else is just delicious.

Gameplay, story, graphics and variety... oh the variety. I love when games constantly throw in new things at you, whether it be enemies, weapons, vehicles, action sequences and scenarios.

I hope the sequel explains things more clearly on what the hell is happening, put some extra work on the dialogue, and avoids another
cliff hanger
ending. Everything else is amazing, great job The Coalition.

Granjinha

I'm in chapter 2 and the game is amazing. If it maintains this (or gets better) i'm pretty sure it will end up being the best game in the series.

Gears 4 looks great at times, but it's not as consistent as other top tier games. First few chapters in particular look very mediocre. The start of Act 4 Chapter 5 for example looks absolutely incredible.

Completely disagree. I'm on chapter 2 and i'm awestruck by it's consistency. There wasn't a moment that i thought the game wasn't beatiful.

Holy shit dat final chapter, Jeeeeeezus save me!!! I think it's the most "bombastic" chapter in the series history. Try and convince me otherwise, I dare you! I double dare you mf!!!

Theorry

Gears versus is such a great thing. But most of all after all those years its still just something different compared to all other shooters.

--

People already saw this?

"Hitching at the beginning of a Multiplayer match / during extended sessions
We have identified a fix for the hitching that occurs at the start of a Multiplayer match on Xbox One in the past couple of days. We have temporary workaround solutions, but we will be rectifying the issue as soon as possible with a small Title Update.
Solution: Open four other games (allow them to load past the initial splash screen) and then load Gears of War 4.
Alternative Solution: As a last resort, you can also uninstall and re-install the game to fix the issue. "

UberLevi

Just finished up the campaign and wow, good shit.

Ending thoughts:
I thought the final chapter was a nice change of pace. It took a night of everything going wrong and then introduced some hope at the last minute with the mechs, then turned triumph into tragedy with the Reyna reveal, only to then strike you with surprise and confusion at the reveal of the Locust necklace, and then rolled credits before you could even process the implications of that ending bombshell. The final chapter was a rollercoaster of emotions and I loved it.

Wouldn't say it looks better than uncharted 4. Playing on PC on ultra settings and the most impressive thing is probably the color palette and the weather/procedural destruction. The textures even when they're fully loaded don't seem like they're fully loaded. Things don't seem to pop

Vorheez

Wow. All of a sudden I've been experiencing unbearable lag in the last 5-6 matches of horde that I've played tonight, and last night I had no problems.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Wow. All of a sudden I've been experiencing unbearable lag in the last 5-6 matches of horde that I've played tonight, and last night I had no problems.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

You may have the hitching issue that presented itself over this latest TU.

Hitching at the beginning of a Multiplayer match / during extended sessions
We have identified a fix for the hitching that occurs at the start of a Multiplayer match on Xbox One in the past couple of days. We have temporary workaround solutions, but we will be rectifying the issue as soon as possible with a small Title Update.
Solution: Open four other games (allow them to load past the initial splash screen) and then load Gears of War 4.
Alternative Solution: As a last resort, you can also uninstall and re-install the game to fix the issue.

Vorheez

You may have the hitching issue that presented itself over this latest TU.
The "hitching" continues throughout the entire match and I'm notified of connection issues in the bottom right corner of the screen, but thank you for the speedy response! I will try this out anyways.

Edit: I'm still experiencing issues. Bummer. I guess I'll just try again tomorrow night (pretty dumb that I can't play horde offline).

Soulflarz

Banned
My friend and I are no slouch at games and that end of Act 4 was fucking brutal on Hardcore. Can't and don't even want to ikavine playing through that solo and or on insane.

I'm solo insane minus act one and uh
ACT FOUR HAS SOME COMPLETE BITCH MOMENTS JEEZ
it's not hard it's just like

...live die repeat, edge of tomorrow, all you need is kill, whatever
it's like that, or mile high club, just memorization and doing a set path.

nOoblet16

I think grenade tagging in Gears 4 is weaker than Gears 3, it's why I throw them more than tag them. I've avoided more tagged grenades than I have died from and I have killed more with thrown grenades than tagged. You can avoid it if you continue your roadie run and do a roll when you hear the beep (most of the time you know where the grenade would be). The other thing is that we can see tagged grenades....use your Tac Com !!!

I two-pieced a guy with the EMBAR (killed via headshot), it's definitely possible
That guy was slow then the stun timing is so low and melee range so short that if someone got two pieces...and by an EMBAR then they probably deserved to die lol.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Act 3 gets insane visually near the end, drop dead gorgeous environments. I'm hoping there are still areas left in the game that great looking.

Also, is there a trick to taking out Pouncers? Or are they just that meaty? I thought tagging grenades on cover would be a good trick, but it doesnt seem to do much.

The "hitching" continues throughout the entire match and I'm notified of connection issues in the bottom right corner of the screen, but thank you for the speedy response! I will try this out anyways.

Edit: I'm still experiencing issues. Bummer. I guess I'll just try again tomorrow night (pretty dumb that I can't play horde offline).
They said on forums they are working on an update but until then you can reinstall the game to fix it. They have another bizzare fix where they tell you to open 4 games before gears and it won't happen. That's the craziest fix I've ever heard. Lol.

Vorheez

They said on forums they are working on an update but until then you can reinstall the game to fix it. They have another bizzare fix where they tell you to open 4 games before gears and it won't happen. That's the craziest fix I've ever heard. Lol.
I tried this already and it didn't work. I think it's just server issues or something

any 4 games?
what
"XBOX ONE SPECIFIC

Hitching at the beginning of a Multiplayer match / during extended sessions
Alternative Solution: As a last resort, you can also uninstall and re-install the game to fix the issue."

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums...dt/5676a9fb-042b-4f8b-9008-405612c1e337/posts

Soulflarz

Banned
^oh okay

Insane guide, 4-4, also...works the earlier instance, but is by no means necessary there.
How to beat the
carrier
boss with minimal items

I went into it on 4-4 expecting hell, made it super easy
-tag him with nades every time he does the attack with the things that shoot up and bomb down, he dies in 2 or 3 nades if you just casually shoot him

A great solution if having trouble, since once you learn the timing it's ezpz. Also works great because the second time around you're getting screwed over by having no real explosives besides 2 grenades lying around, it's a godsend. I think nade tagging is broken- it kills almost everything with ease that's supposed to one shot you, and you can usually time it well.
Like scion enemy types? They take ~20 boltoks to the head....or 4 savescums as you attempt to nade tag him at spawn and run away, then lazily clean up the other enemies in the wave. I'm basically at the end of the game, so hoping that advice can help people with their runs so they don't have to suffer.

I should probably compile these into a "how to cheese the harder parts of insane" guide after I beat the game.

AXE

Interesting stuff!

My LETS PLAY video. The first 30 minutes on PC with settings maxed out @1440p60fps

I've always found the GoW style shooting to be my favourite kind, and altough the games fare varyingly, they've always been pretty great fun. Especially from the same sofa. Actually, I think that this is the only game that I really prefer to play from the sofa with a friend. Hmm... I suppose I should say that the four player co-op from the same screen was a bit too much. I don't think I enjoyed the game as much - not because I didn't see the AWSUM GRAPHIX, but rather, playing through a keyhole wasn't much fun.

Downloading the GoW4 was... interesting. When the whole download debacle was over and done, I did have some trouble starting the game. The loading icon on the lower right corner just kept rolling. After a reboot things started working a bit better and I was able to play the actual game. The epilogue is downright poor, but it does introduce the players to the essentials of GoW, though quite hamfistedly. What I found surprising was that the surroundings looked very plain and empty, but I'm sure that its just the epilogue. As it feels like something that was inserted last minute.

When we get to the actual story things felt a lot more interesting than the previous games altogether. Maybe its just that I've forgotten a lot. Maybe its the same song that the previous games were playing over and over and over. Regardless, I'm hype! For some reason I found the storm a very interesting piece and I do hope that it plays a huge role in the actual stages. Or at least some of them.

My biggest gripe is that the crossplay doesn't work. I'm not sure if others have managed to get it working but we sures heck didn't, even after few reboots and fiddling with network settings. I hope its something that gets fixed, or I find a solution to. Not the best of starts for the game but what big release didn't come into the world without some pains in the beginning?

Top Bottom