• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
50 is the magic number (polling has him 45/46). He'll "win" this round and head to a runoff with R candidate. Currently he is polling ahead of the lead R, so it is promising.

Ossoff's biggest advantage is name recognition, just about everyone knows his name here while they struggle to name one of the Republicans. He's had ads basically everywhere buying up prime radio and TV ads.

I said even in hindsight.

I don't agree that providing resources hurts a candidate. Only if you are not smart about what resources you provide.

Hindsight is 20/20. If you're suggesting that the party should have provided money/staffers when the race was 15pt in favor of Estes (as it was until a week or so before the election), then that's a bad idea, sorry.

DNC made thousands for live phone calls for Thompson in the last day or two, at any rate. This was after the race had already been nationalized and Thompson was able to build his brand independent of the national party.

Hindsight is 20/20. If you're suggesting that the party should have provided money/staffers when the race was 15pt in favor of Estes (as it was until a week or so before the election), then that's a bad idea, sorry.

DNC made thousands for live phone calls for Thompson in the last day or two, at any rate. This was after the race had already been nationalized and Thompson was able to build his brand independent of the national party.

To win in solid red districts this is a must. In fact I'd argue that the Democratic party should support independents in deep red districts rather than run their own candidate.

Remember:
7Hn7rgS.jpg

*stolen from /r/Atlanta

akileese

Everything is looking good for Democrats in this.

Will expet to hear the Republican won tonight.

That would be a bigger upset than Osoff actually winning and avoiding a runoff.

There's a lot of different names on the ballot (7 that I know of). The top two names are Ossoff and Republican Karen Handel.

Ossoff is polling at 46 percent, Handel at 18. To win the special election you need to have at least 50 percent of the vote. Since there are four republican candidates polling respectively at 18, 13, 9, and 9, it would actually be a bigger shock for a consensus Republican to avoid a run off vote tomorrow than if Osoff won.

The most likely outcome is a run off election between Osoff and Handel in June and if that happens the Republicans would certainly have the upper hand since their support would be focused and not split amongst multiple candidates.

This one probably has the highest potential to swing blue out of all of the special elections (including Kansas) so hopes are high for this one, but we'll see how it goes.

Apdiddy

Most of the attack ads I've seen on local stations about Jon Ossoff are going after him for being a goofy kid in college. Seriously. And trying to lump him with Nancy Pelosi and say he's 'from Washington D.C.'

They have control of the legislative, executive and judicial branches of the U.S. government, how is that not good enough for these Republicans? It's almost scary.

legacyzero

Banned
Most of the attack ads I've seen on local stations about Jon Ossoff are going after him for being a goofy kid in college. Seriously. And trying to lump him with Nancy Pelosi and say he's 'from Washington D.C.'

They have control of the legislative, executive and judicial branches of the U.S. government, how is that not good enough for these Republicans? It's almost scary.
Jesus fucking Christ. Complains about a "college kid", then elects a fucking frat boy to the office.

Also telling, the "WE NEED LEADERSHIP!" While playing ISIS Propaganda.

These fucking ads are hilarious

dramatis

I was agreeing with his point on volunteering.... sooo?
I appreciate your help on reading comprehension though.
Here's the problem:
I don't really think anybody is disputing that. I think everybody is wanting to see ANY movement from national Dems to prove that they're building momentum to the mid-terms and GE. Seeing the DNC do nothing is unacceptable
"I'm too lazy and not motivated to volunteer and help, so I'll just complain about how the Democrats aren't doing anything even though I'm not actually informed about what they are doing."

Don't act so high and mighty about how you volunteered that one time for your favorite guy while whining about how others aren't doing work, when of course you yourself are not putting in any work.

Its not much but I donated $20 to Ossoff.

Hope he wins. Fuck the GOP

Here's the problem:

"I'm too lazy and not motivated to volunteer and help, so I'll just complain about how the Democrats aren't doing anything even though I'm not actually informed about what they are doing."

Don't act so high and mighty about how you volunteered that one time for your favorite guy while whining about how others aren't doing work, when of course you yourself are not putting in any work.

Shots fucking fired

smisk

I know this is a long shot so I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it would be amazing if this district flipped.

I'm referring to Georgia because it's the state fruit. Plain and simple. Stop trying to create something that clearly isn't there. Who cares if someone will punch you...I'm not talking directly to a Georgian.

You should probably stop talking about things you don't know.

- A Georgian. Not a peach.

The local ads for this race are embarrassing. "Jon Ossoff doesn't even live here!". "He is Nancy Pelosi's puppet!". "He played with lightsabers in college!".

legacyzero

Banned
Here's the problem:

You sure showed me? Lol

Why are you even on my case right now LOL. I havnt even said I'm not doing anything. Or are you down my throats because I helped the Bernie campaign 🤔

The only "high and mighty" happening here right now is you. I merely highlight that I have participated in actively engaging with campaign for support and social discourse. Perhaps YOU should focus your energy away from me, and towards making calls yourself, hmmm?

I'm referring to Georgia because it's the state fruit. Plain and simple. Stop trying to create something that clearly isn't there. Who cares if someone will punch you...I'm not talking directly to a Georgian.

I'm a Georgian who is voting in this election. I'm telling you to stop referring to people as peaches as its offensive to a large portion of the population.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
You sure showed me? Lol

Why are you even on my case right now LOL. I havnt even said I'm not doing anything. Or are you down my throats because I helped the Bernie campaign 🤔

The only "high and mighty" happening here right now is you. I merely highlight that I have participated in actively engaging with campaign for support and social discourse. Perhaps YOU should focus your energy away from me, and towards making calls yourself, hmmm?

Oh yes, because he can't criticize you on an internet forum lest he takes time away from democratically participating and making calls to politicians 24 hours a day.

Are they fucking serious with that ad😂

Please tell me they're not saying he lied about being Han Solo as part of his "resume".

Wilsongt

Any of you fuckers in that district need to go out and vote.

Even a single lost seat in a reliable R district should be enough to bolster Dem's confidence and send Burnt Sienna on a twitter tirade.

legacyzero

Banned
Oh yes, because he can't criticize you on an internet forum lest he takes time away from democratically participating and making calls to politicians 24 hours a day.
I mean, if he wants to be petty, surely I can respond by being petty too? I had a good conversation with another poster and they condescendingly jumped in for no good reason other than to scold me for what they have no idea I'm even doing.

Ogodei

It does make it harder for the GOP to pass stuff if they don't put a moderate R in that seat. Their losses are less likely to come from the Freedom Caucus or other nutters, so for those invested in the GOP, a handful of losses can still be devastating as it moves the margin for the Freedom Caucus to fuck shit up.

I'd prefer him having a window to set his agenda with a reasonably amenable Congress. We can disagree about this in a reasonable fashion.

His agenda negatively affects most Americans.

Just look at the PP defunding bill he just signed. Absolutely despicable.

Mesoian

I'd prefer him having a window to set his agenda with a reasonably amenable Congress. We can disagree about this in a reasonable fashion.

If it were anyone other than Trump, most people would be more understanding of your mindset. The last 60 days though...

Though I can understand wanting to keep your party's lines strong when the almost seemingly inevitable replacement comes along.

rpmurphy

Did my part, and so have others around me. I have a glitter of hope for Ossoff, but if it goes into the runoff it'll be a tough battle. The district encompasses a good chunk of affluent suburbanite and rural voters.

Buckle

The GOP are a flesh eating parasite.

I'm more concerned with getting as many of them out of power as possible at this point.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

This is what I find fascinating. People supporting Trump and the current GOP want to be reasonably engaged for holding unreasonable views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom