• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost In A Shell: Stand Alone Complex

I played the demo. It controlls like a FPS and you can jump really high and can jump off walls. There is also a bit of hand to hand combat. I didn't think it was that great, but it wasn't completely horrible. I guess if you REALLY like Ghost in the Shell, you might enjoy it.

Leguna

Banned
Nick Laslett:
I played a good bit of the game and I loved it! I'm no doubt buying it. The graphics are extremely good (awesome animation, realtime shadows, lots of particle effects, and some of the best explosions in games) and the gameplay is very addicting. What makes GITS's gameplay so good? I can answer that, the game plays like Halo (control wise) but a 3rd person view, now throw in some really cool bullet time camera effects when you use your close combat moves that look really cool and the ability to control the enemy and be as reckless as you want and in the process blow away as many other enemies as possible using suicide tactics. That's just one of many things that make GITS very desirable.

WarPig

Fifty said:
Fucking Bandai. They steal all the good Japanese licenses and make shitty games.

Like Nutt says, it was a Sony title in Japan (SCE's had the Ghost in the Shell license since the PSX game -- maybe they have some old-boy relationship with Production I.G. 'cuz of PIG's yarudora shit, I dunno). Made by Cavia, though, the Drakengard guys.

I'm in the "not...very...good" camp.

DFS.

Fifty

WarPig said:
Like Nutt says, it was a Sony title in Japan (SCE's had the Ghost in the Shell license since the PSX game -- maybe they have some old-boy relationship with Production I.G. 'cuz of PIG's yarudora shit, I dunno). Made by Cavia, though, the Drakengard guys.

I'm in the "not...very...good" camp.

DFS.

Ok, thanks guys. While that's not the best news, at least I can hate Bandai less now :)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
jarrod said:
Exact >>>>> Cavia

DEFINITELY.

But GITS Stand Alone Complex is a still a decent third person shooter. AI is laughable, but that's pretty much how all these games are. :p

Lyte Edge

distantmantra said:
Did it come out already? I know it's gonna be trash, but I still want it.

Not out in the U.S. yet AFAIK, but it's been out for quite a while in Japan.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I enjoyed Drakengard quite a bit, but I hated the demo for SAC...

It felt like nothing special, animated terribly, and just wasn't any fun.

Lyte Edge

dark10x said:
I enjoyed Drakengard quite a bit, but I hated the demo for SAC...

It felt like nothing special, animated terribly, and just wasn't any fun.

Somewhat the opposite for me: Felt that Drakengard was boring crap, and found GITS to be good enough for what it is. I got the game months ago though; with all that's out and coming out at this time, I'd advise passing on it and/or waiting for a price drop though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Lyte Edge said:
Bit torrent is your friend. :)

Heh, I actually bought the first DVD already, but that was 3 weeks ago maybe and I still haven't sat down with it yet. One day...

WarPig

distantmantra said:
Did it come out already? I know it's gonna be trash, but I still want it.

Anime fans. You can't learn 'em nothing.

Edit: The SAC TV show, by the way, is kind of obtuse plotwise a lot of the time, but the action is pretty boss, and the music (by Yoko Kanno) is REALLY boss. Somebody needs to pay her to track a videogame one of these days.

DFS.

WarPig said:
Anime fans. You can't learn 'em nothing.

Edit: The SAC TV show, by the way, is kind of obtuse plotwise a lot of the time, but the action is pretty boss, and the music (by Yoko Kanno) is REALLY boss. Somebody needs to pay her to track a videogame one of these days.

DFS.

While I regrettably fall under the same 'must have Stand Alone Complex merchandise' syndrome, I'd take the first and second season storylines over any other science fiction-oriented movie/tv series/video game storyline going back, well, a long time.

As for Yoko Kanno, getting her to score a game I work on is definitely on the wishful thinking career to-do list, but even she admits that since the Koei games she did back in the day, there hasn't been any game developer interest in her services.

WarPig

Crazymoogle said:
While I regrettably fall under the same 'must have Stand Alone Complex merchandise' syndrome, I'd take the first and second season storylines over any other science fiction-oriented movie/tv series/video game storyline going back, well, a long time.

My general reaction to any given bit of SAC is that I either like it, or I'm pretty sure I'd like it if I paid closer attention and tried a little harder to follow it.

You'd think I'd have an easier time grasping it, since all my friends wonder how I can keep track of Five Star Stories plotlines...

DFS.

fausty

Crazymoogle said:

As for Yoko Kanno, getting her to score a game I work on is definitely on the wishful thinking career to-do list, but even she admits that since the Koei games she did back in the day, there hasn't been any game developer interest in her services.
nappletaleost1.jpg

Sega baby!

But, yeah, nothing lately... Is she just too expensive?

fausty said:
But, yeah, nothing lately... Is she just too expensive?

I kind of doubt it, although it's entirely possible that she now expects a reasonable paycheck instead of the japanese standard 'bend-over-backwards paycut' edition. No discounts + fitting in to her schedule + working on a project where she has a lot of input on audio track creation might be too much for most studios.

I'd sign her in a heartbeat though. Even in a HGW-style cutscene only appearance she could pump up the audio quality of just about anything, games-wise. (Hell, even her live-action TV show stuff kicks ass, but I digress)

fausty

Crazymoogle said:
I kind of doubt it, although it's entirely possible that she now expects a reasonable paycheck instead of the japanese standard 'bend-over-backwards paycut' edition. No discounts + fitting in to her schedule + working on a project where she has a lot of input on audio track creation might be too much for most studios.

I'd sign her in a heartbeat though. Even in a HGW-style cutscene only appearance she could pump up the audio quality of just about anything, games-wise. (Hell, even her live-action TV show stuff kicks ass, but I digress)
True that... Oh, I guess she's doing work on the Cowboy Beebop game, but that's sorta a given. It's strange though, Tommy T charges an arm and a leg, but can easily get work. And, compared to Yoko, he's a hack and a half. But, whatever...

fausty said:
True that... Oh, I guess she's doing work on the Cowboy Beebop game, but that's sorta a given. It's strange though, Tommy T charges an arm and a leg, but can easily get work. And, compared to Yoko, he's a hack and a half. But, whatever...

Is Kanno supplying new material for the Bebop PS2 game or is Bandai just taking existing music from the series? It's not a total given, none of the music in the SAC game was composed by her.

fausty

distantmantra said:
Is Kanno supplying new material for the Bebop PS2 game or is Bandai just taking existing music from the series? It's not a total given, none of the music in the SAC game was composed by her.
Not sure if the game will contain new material, but it's been quoted more than once that she was involved in the project (most game previews include her name) - which could just mean re-using old tracks...but I seem to remember talk at E3 that she would be contributing original stuff as well.

WarPig

distantmantra said:

Bandai's claimed that her music appears in the game, but I'm pretty sure that as you note, it's not a given that it'll be original music. I don't think they've ever shown a playable version to the press (unless there was one at E3, and any code there would have been so early it wouldn't be worth drawing conclusions from).

DFS.

ferricide

WarPig said:
(unless there was one at E3, and any code there would have been so early it wouldn't be worth drawing conclusions from).
there was, but bandai did their usual trick of "play game, get T-shirt" so there was a huge line for it. so i didn't bother. i watched a bit, and it looked rather beat 'em uppy. spike's jeet kune do is elite in the show, so maybe it could turn out. worth keeping an eye on, anyway.

fausty

WarPig said:
Yeah, the movies I've seen look for all the world like the PS2 Jojo's Bizarre Adventure game that never came out here.

DFS.
A super pretty PS1 game? :)

It didn't seem as "clean" as the JoJo title, but it's been awhile since I've seen either in motion...

edit: nm, was thinking of the visuals, not the gameplay.

Defensor said:
I disliked the demo due to a lack of inverted controls.

Am I missing something? Each of the four control schemes has an inverted option; I tried them. Even 16:9 support for everyone that wants it.

The problem isn't a matter of what way is up, though. It's the rest of the controls, and the level design, that suck.

I just can't imagine why that sub-action (magic flip move + hanging) button exists. The flip move is mostly useless except as eye candy because it requires multiple taps and is somewhat unpredictable. Platforming elements with a button for holding to grab things is...ridiculous...but even moreso with all of the buttons this game needs. It's like acrobatic SOCOM.

Hand to hand combat should be a standard part of combat, not an action option, but that just leads into the design disaster. I mean, I can't argue about the production values - hearing the section 9 crew backing me up is awesome - but why the hell are they standing back while Motoko (or Batou) walks through a fortress of heavily armed soldiers? This is more like Section 9 meets Unreal Tournament.

It's one thing to want a control scheme that fits (some merger of Metal Gear Solid and Devil May Cry would be my choice) but when the levels are built like a simple FPS (only without the crucial perspective), what's the point?

Add in the weak soundtrack (why they went with the full voice cast but not Kanno is beyond me), and I see a game I need to rent, if only because I refuse to believe the entire thing is this bad. Demo syndrome, or something.

fausty said:
Not sure if the game will contain new material, but it's been quoted more than once that she was involved in the project (most game previews include her name) - which could just mean re-using old tracks...but I seem to remember talk at E3 that she would be contributing original stuff as well.

Look what I found?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VICL-61543

COWBOY BEBOP Tank! THE! BEST!Yoko Kanno & Seatbelts
Contains 12 tracks including three all-new songs written for the 2005 game. Other songs are selected from the TV series and the theatrcail feature. Sleeve cover artwork is illustrated by Toshihiro Kawamoto.

WarPig

Well hey hey. Cheers to Bandai for shelling out.

There's still at least a 75% chance that the game will not be worth the plastic it's pressed on, but if nothing else, I'll enjoy the sound test mode.

DFS.

Top Bottom