• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei Announced (Ghost of Tsushima Sequel)

NONE of these games are realistic or history accurate, they are video games.

It's called suspension of disbelief. Even in fantasy you need a minimum of "legitimacy" to keep people engaged in what they are watching.

That's why I wasn't against Abby being a freak of nature. It's the only way for her to become a top soldier and do what she does in the game in a believable way.

I expect that the protagonist of this game has a gameplay different from Jin, because a man and a woman don't fight the same way. The "fantasy" excuse is extremely poor.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Also, the game takes place in circa 1600, right? So we should have guns. Did we see any in the trailer? I don’t remember.

Also, the game takes place in circa 1600, right? So we should have guns. Did we see any in the trailer? I don’t remember.
She is shown firing a flintlock rifle at the end which is historically accurate

The first widespread use of guns in warfare in Japan was by none other than Oda Nobunaga who distributed them widely to his armies in the mid-1500's

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I can't wait to see people in Yotei walking around with AK-47s and building pyramids and using The Force. As they are just videogames.
Let's not be facetious , Dan is not remotely suggesting that because of the game is fictional that it also needs to be wildly exaggerated like what you're saying here. Simply that these games are fictional, The actual setting in regards to the general story itself may be based on a historical event but the physical things that occur inside of the game are fantastical and very much in line with fictional action games as to why the character has flaming swords and bombs and able to take out people much larger than him along with killing waves of enemies.

The game in regards to the actual gameplay never entertains an idea of realism as it's not like the combat regarding the sword play is some deep realistic physical move, It is exaggerated similar to lets say Onimusha

It's why me and Dan's bullshit meter kind of goes off when someone tries to pretend a female is where the line is drawn, as this is suspicious when the actual game itself doesn't ever entertain a realistic construct in terms of its gameplay is never really designed for that purpose and you could see it in the exaggerated combat, so this is one of those universes similar to kill bill where it exists on our plane but clearly it is exaggerated like somebody killing 88 people

So it means the film exists in a world similar to our own in regards to what settings but the actions that take place are exaggerated

It does not mean the film is a fantasy merely that it is an exaggerated action

As long as we agree that both are ridiculously unrealistic.
I'd say unrealistic, but not to a ridiculous degree, improbable, unlikely, sure, but that is almost all games.

Trying to keep an open minded about this but... Hiring a woke activist to play your main character. Good luck with that.
lol sir, I couldn't even tell you 1 voice actor's name or beliefs from the first game to give a fuck.

I'm not going to pretend that suddenly has become some reason to buy or not buy a game. A lot of us are not even playing that shit in English when it comes out anyway lol

DinoD

lol sir, I couldn't even tell you 1 voice actor's name or beliefs from the first game to give a fuck.

I'm not going to pretend that suddenly has become some reason to buy or not buy a game. A lot of us are not even playing that shit in English when it comes out anyway lol
Oh. I am the same. I don't really care, as long they are not forcing any narratives through the game itself.

Trilobit

Let's not be facetious , Dan is not remotely suggesting that because of the game is fictional that it also needs to be wildly exaggerated like what you're saying here. Simply that these games are fictional, The actual setting in regards to the general story itself may be based on a historical event but the physical things that occur inside of the game are fantastical and very much in line with fictional action games as to why the character has flaming swords and bombs and able to take out people much larger than him along with killing waves of enemies.

The game in regards to the actual gameplay never entertains an idea of realism as it's not like the combat regarding the sword play is some deep realistic physical move, It is exaggerated similar to lets say Onimusha

It's why me and Dan's bullshit meter kind of goes off when someone tries to pretend a female is where the line is drawn, as this is suspicious when the actual game itself doesn't ever entertain a realistic construct in terms of its gameplay is never really designed for that purpose and you could see it in the exaggerated combat, so this is one of those universes similar to kill bill where it exists on our plane but clearly it is exaggerated like somebody killing 88 people

So it means the film exists in a world similar to our own in regards to what settings but the actions that take place are exaggerated

It does not mean the film is a fantasy merely that it is an exaggerated action

I'd say unrealistic, but not to a ridiculous degree, improbable, unlikely, sure, but that is almost all games.

I was using hyperboles, not being facetious. Because what I understood from what I read was that there isn't any limits at all because 'it's just a video game'. But clearly there are limits to one's suspension of disbelief, and where that line is drawn might be different for different people. I thought many things were already ridiculuous in the first game. Like that old geezer running into combat against a smaller army with me.

So sure, based on that having women being as strong as men in the game isn't extremely weird. But I still think it's a bit out there as women are generally much weaker irl.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I was using hyperboles, not being facetious.
Correct, my fault
I thought many things were already ridiculuous in the first game. Like that old geezer running into combat against a smaller army with me.
lol sure, but that is what Dan and I mean, this is their world, its not really grounded like a Samurai simulation, merely that the overlay of the story is based on a historical event, like that Tarantino film Inglourious Basterds lol (I don't know why we keep using his films as examples lol)

Or like Django Unchained, like real history, but exaggerated events

I think it merely has to do with using that historical event, many tend to extend that idea to the gameplay with assumptions, when the gameplay doesn't actually support a historically accurate thing

Togh

After Concord, Ubisoft situation and allot of flop movies and games with force and pushing for twisted dei and woke agenda narrative, I think they learned from that.
The thing is, if the game was shown now, it means they have been working on it for years now, potentially right after the launch of the first game. It means all decisions, from gameplay to story and pushed agendas, where all done long ago and now is far too late to make major changes or a route correction.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We are getting a wolf companion arent we? :)
Please Please Cat GIF by Guldhart

midnightAI

Gives more insight that she is not 'samurai' but Ronin. A lone wolf with all that imagery, even on her tsuba.
I especially like the 'Death note' idea, it was to be expected after the reveal with the crossing off of that character with the blood but good to hear confirmation (and some of the nicknames of the enemies (bosses?) we will be fighting)

Last edited:
Two things the entire gaming populace has been conditioned to accept since the dawn of the medium.

...vs observing the profound physical disadvantages women have in combat our entire lives.

Trivial is not the word I would use.

Fighting games have been around a long time. Chun Li is a classic female fighting character. I'm not sure what games you grew up playing but I played everything including fighting games and women were not shown to be weak in those games, in fact I often went with women because they tended to be faster.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Fighting games have been around a long time. Chun Li is a classic female fighting character. I'm not sure what games you grew up playing but I played everything including fighting games and women were not shown to be weak in those games, in fact I often went with women because they tended to be faster.
Yep, preferred Streets of Rage's Blaze or Golden Axe's Tyris Flare for the speed and cooler specials. Even though they did less damage.

Zacfoldor

"A woman could not win fights against men"

Even if that is true (which is not....), show me a man that could take down the entire Mongolian army like Jin did in the first game.
Even the most fit men could not keep up with Jin.
Oh I guarantee you a woman can win a fight against a man. That is 100% true. I was watching Mr. Ballen the other day and he was telling about a skinny hitman a man hired to kill his large and known to be angry wife. The hitman tried twice to kill this woman and the second time she strangled the hitman with her bare hands...TO DEATH. I believe that shit 100%.

Now, most women aren't gonna beat up most men either, like on average there is a big grip strength advantage on the man side.

However, in Japan as a ninja I'm sure you could do shit like stealth, poison, attack wolf, ambush, ect. Also the speed and silence of a smaller frame could greatly benefit a female ninja.

Like I will always say, honestly, I like playing as a woman in games. Smaller toon to see around and something enjoyable to look at. Also as you say, no man is gonna pull a Nathan Drake irl so I'm willing to suspend disbelief. Live action is tougher because it does sometimes look a little silly to see a 75 pound woman throwing around a 300 pound jujitzu master, but I actually am okay with it.

The only issue for me is if they inject wokeism into the game in themes or story. If they do that, I'd be out, but otherwise I'm super hyped!

Last edited:

Aenima

Gives more insight that she is not 'samurai' but Ronin. A lone wolf with all that imagery, even on her tsuba.
Yeah pretty good video that gives a much better idea of what the character is and whats her mission. In the trailer i tought she was using the cloth to wipe the blood from the sword, but in reality she was just crossing a name from her cloth using the blood of the guy she killed. Its kinda like the Kill Bill plot where she makes a list of all the ppl she wants to make revenge on and then goes on her quest to kill them all.

Zacfoldor

Yeah pretty good video that gives a much better idea of what the character is and whats her mission. In the trailer i tought she was using the cloth to wipe the blood from the sword, but in reality she was just crossing a name from her cloth using the blood of the guy she killed. Its kinda like the Kill Bill plot where she makes a list of all the ppl she wants to make revenge on and then goes on her quest to kill them all.
That sounds like it may be a better story than Tsushima.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
First thing I thought of was a "kill list" when she did that since she was there "hunting."

Beautiful trailer. Sucker Punch has never failed me, so I’m super excited about this.

On topic of the rampant stupidity here as of late. I have trained with a few girls who would absolutely parry and slice the shit out of most opponents, so yeah... what a weird argument. Also, katanas don’t weigh shit.

And as others have said, it’s not like the battle situations in GOT where realistic to begin with. They were first and foremost fucking cool, which I’m sure this game will also nail.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Beautiful trailer. Sucker Punch has never failed me, so I’m super excited about this.

On topic of the rampant stupidity here as of late. I have trained with a few girls who would absolutely parry and slice the shit out of most opponents, so yeah... what a weird argument. Also, katanas don’t weigh shit.

And as others have said, it’s not like the battle situations in GOT where realistic to begin with. They were first and foremost fucking cool, which I’m sure this game will also nail.
Yep, a typical quality katana weighs between 900 and 1,200 grams (2-2.6 pounds). What also makes a quality made sword feel even lighter, is the perfect balance at the tsuba.

Boo Who?

Neo Member
Oh I guarantee you a woman can win a fight against a man. That is 100% true. I was watching Mr. Ballen the other day and he was telling about a skinny hitman a man hired to kill his large and known to be angry wife. The hitman tried twice to kill this woman and the second time she strangled the hitman with her bare hands...TO DEATH. I believe that shit 100%.

Now, most women aren't gonna beat up most men either, like on average there is a big grip strength advantage on the man side.

However, in Japan as a ninja I'm sure you could do shit like stealth, poison, attack wolf, ambush, ect. Also the speed and silence of a smaller frame could greatly benefit a female ninja.

Like I will always say, honestly, I like playing as a woman in games. Smaller toon to see around and something enjoyable to look at. Also as you say, no man is gonna pull a Nathan Drake irl so I'm willing to suspend disbelief. Live action is tougher because it does sometimes look a little silly to see a 75 pound woman throwing around a 300 pound jujitzu master, but I actually am okay with it.

The only issue for me is if they inject wokeism into the game in themes or story. If they do that, I'd be out, but otherwise I'm super hyped!
This 100%.

Top Bottom