• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier |OT| The Future Is Here... Finally

Apocryphon

So how did the PC version of this turn out?

Aw! I really liked the PC versions of the GRAW games. They were way better than the third-person console iterations. Shame that the PC version of Future Soldier is likely to just be another lame console port like everything else these days.

Enjoying it so far. Wish the campaign was more open— even Halo: CE levels of open would be better. Campaign is loads better than GRAW's, though. The plot/dialog, as trite as it is, is loads better as well. Found GRAW to be incredibly jingoistic.

Disliked the CoD feeling of parts of the
Warhound
mission with six million bad guys; the end of the
airbase mission
felt the same way, though perhaps if I'd managed
to clear out the hanger after the rigged plane left without setting of alarms it would have turned out differently.

Bought the game due to the multiplayer beta, but haven't touched the multiplayer.

This Uplay stuff is so much bullshit. Feels like awful middleware bolted on the game. Do I really have to connect to Ubisoft servers to play single-player? Diablo 3 is at least fast (ha, I know). What happens if my partner wants to play this on XBL? Is she expected to have her own Uplay thing in addition to her own XBL account, in stark contrast to every other multiplayer XBox game we own?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Once you get to the missions with the Bodark, elite difficulty really shows. It's right around then you get one shot if you're not careful and the enemy has all kind of toys to kick your ass.

anyone unlocked incendiary rounds?

disappointed to see dragons breath rounds locked for shotgun unless you complete all challenges on a specific level

6 months and the game could have been great.

and this is being said after the game had a lengthy development cycle. In fact, I felt GRAW 2 was pretty great and it was made in less than 2 years.

I'm just not feeling this "bro" vibe in a GRAW game. It just seems wrong.

Xater

I am positively surprised by the game. The Mp is really fun and quite an improvement over the beta. Netcode and performance seem world better. Glad I gave it as hot.

The campaign is pretty hit or miss depending on the mission. The game is definitely at it's best when it's stealth time. Not really a surprise that even int he main menu it's only your second choice.

does the whole game have the large Phrases ("Target Here" etc ) in the sky showing objectives?

not that its a bad thing, just wondering.

SonnyBoy

I picked this up last night to play online with some friends. While I only had about an hours worth of time with the game, we couldn't find a death-match game type for the 6 of us. Does the game not include such a mode?

def sim

I picked this up last night to play online with some friends. While I only had about an hours worth of time with the game, we couldn't find a death-match game type for the 6 of us. Does the game not include such a mode?

It's all objective in VS multi.

KageMaru

I loved doing this during playtests.

I have to ask, did you guys ever consider going back to the series roots instead of making the game more cinematic?

I didn't mean to dismiss the hard work I'm sure the team put into this game with my earlier comments, but I think it's clear the games have been moving in a direction not desired by it's long time fans. A game closer in design to the game's original concept would actually be seen as unique in this day and age IMO. Far more original than aping mechanics introduced by other games.

I have to ask, did you guys ever consider going back to the series roots instead of making the game more cinematic?

I didn't mean to dismiss the hard work I'm sure the team put into this game with my earlier comments, but I think it's clear the games have been moving in a direction not desired by it's long time fans. A game closer in design to the game's original concept would actually be seen as unique in this day and age IMO. Far more original than aping mechanics introduced by other games.

Call of Duty sells.
Battlefield sells.

In the current state of preferences most teenage gamers have, going towards that type of direction is the safest way to gain money.
I swear that a lot of gamers will never even touch Ghost Recon if they go back to the good old days because you can die in an instant if you are not careful and do not plan ahead.

Pyronite

Red Storm is in charge of the multiplayer, while Ubisoft Paris has sole ownership of the single player.

Rivyn's point is an important one, and I do think it's generally accepted and backed by strong data. That said, it's not like we've never analyzed a re-release of OGR.

KageMaru

Call of Duty sells.
Battlefield sells.

In the current state of preferences most teenage gamers have, going towards that type of direction is the safest way to gain money.
I swear that a lot of gamers will never even touch Ghost Recon if they go back to the good old days because you can die in an instant if you are not careful and do not plan ahead.

I realize this, but if the budget was managed better, I wonder if the game could still be profitable by going back to the series roots, or at least closer to that design. You could still die with one hit in GRAW 1 and 2 but that didn't stop those games from being a success.

I'm just saying that it can be seen as a good thing if they did something a bit more unique and going back to the series' roots can be seen as original in this day and age of heavily scripted shooters. By not being a "me too" shooter, they could stick out better if it's communicated properly to the buying population.

Red Storm is in charge of the multiplayer, while Ubisoft Paris has sole ownership of the single player.

Sorry, I knew that, I just wasn't thinking to which team you were a part of when I originally made that post.

Edit:

Rivyn's point is an important one, and I do think it's generally accepted and backed by strong data. That said, it's not like we've never analyzed a re-release of OGR.

Yeah I was already aware of Rivyn's point, doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. =p I'm beginning to hate the brainless masses more than I already do. I'll take a lower budget, less hollywood influenced, uglier GR that harks back to the days of thought, gameplay, and openness over this linear and scripted crap.

IMO you guys did a great job staying close to the original design with the MP in GRAW1 and 2. I absolutely loved the classic co-op map packs, was a great blast to the past.

Xater

Rivyn's point is an important one, and I do think it's generally accepted and backed by strong evidence. That said, it's not like we've never analyzed a re-release of OGR.

That explains why I enjoy the MP so much more.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Hey, guys. My PlayStation Move analysis (in Gunsmith Mode) is up for those interested.

NinWB.jpg

http://youtu.be/_mMJgPzZi6E

Enjoy! :)

Any way to make that PC player list in the OP editable? I'd like to add myself. Pre-ordered on Steam over the weekend. My UPlay name is JoeyStyles66

Yes, the game has a tendency to look like blended vomit and general presentation could have used a lot more polish, but MP is fun as balls and the game controls beautifully; not quite "Gears of War 3 beautifully", but very competent, nonetheless. Also, the Gunsmith on its own is more entertaining than a handful of retail games I've played this year.

Did anyone else pick up the Signature Edition? I think I might have made a mistake in pimping out the AK-47; it's definitely lacking in the range/ROF department, but it slays up close and hey... It's an AK. It's awesome and it sounds like a tornado of bullets. The MK14, on the other hand, is very solid.

Having a retarded team is as infuriating as ever, but it's been fun when playing with like-minded people.

In summary: I dig.

SonnyBoy

Yes, the game has a tendency to look like blended vomit and general presentation could have used a lot more polish, but MP is fun as balls and the game controls beautifully; not quite "Gears of War 3 beautifully", but very competent, nonetheless. Also, the Gunsmith on its own is more entertaining than a handful of retail games I've played this year.

Did anyone else pick up the Signature Edition? I think I might have made a mistake in pimping out the AK-47; it's definitely lacking in the range/ROF department, but it slays up close and hey... It's an AK. It's awesome and it sounds like a tornado of bullets. The MK14, on the other hand, is very solid.

Having a retarded team is as infuriating as ever, but it's been fun when playing with like-minded people.

In summary: I dig.

I got the same edition but can't figure out how to obtain the AK. It told me that the coupon was added but when I go to loadout, I don't see it available.

I got the same edition but can't figure out how to obtain the AK. It told me that the coupon was added but when I go to loadout, I don't see it available.

Well, the insert told me to enter the code under the "Extras" tab, which turned out to be complete bullshit. Rather, you have to go to the "Downloadable Content" tab, then "Enter Coupon Code". Silly game. Once you input the code, it brings up all of the unlocks sequentially and you're good to go.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just bros talkin bout V8's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpS1nnKSmg8&feature=relmfu

There wasn't even a shred of that in the previous GRAW games. This game may not be as "bro" as some, but there is no doubt it's got some "bro" in it.

There wasn't ANY character development worth noting in the previous games.

I quite enjoy the character development in this iteration. It's pretty funny and entertaining as you go. And I wouldn't call it "bro" as much as "guy talk." But perhaps you talk about other things less "masculine" so to you this is bro talk? Maybe I just don't understand where you're coming from.

The problem with synch shots is the same problem with mark-and-execute in Splinter Cell Conviction - its not so much a tool that you can use to get through a scenario, its that the scenarios are designed completely around its use. Scenarios aren't open ended for you to solve in your own way as much as they are mini-puzzles, perfectly built to have you use your synch-shots or else designed in such a way that synch-shots won't work.

It feels better in co-op only because you have to communicate more to pull off the same end result, and there are more chances for fucking up and thus more risk.

That's the impression pretty much every gameplay video gave. Sort of trademark (new) Ubi to build a whole game around one or two ideas. :/

And I'm still in disbelief over the slow-mo sniping.

I think I might have made a mistake in pimping out the AK-47; it's definitely lacking in the range/ROF department, but it slays up close and hey... It's an AK. It's awesome and it sounds like a tornado of bullets. The MK14, on the other hand, is very solid.

It's really weird how the AK has been turned into this kind of weapon in just about all games that feature it.

Hey, guys. My PlayStation Move analysis (in Gunsmith Mode) is up for those interested.

Enjoy! :)

PS Move needs more tactical 3rd person shooters. It's much better suited for that than for 1st person play. Really, really disappointed it's not fully implemented in this game, otherwise I'd buy it.

ShogunX

Every time I boot up the game it re installs the enhanced audio stuff. Happened to me three times now and the previous time my multiplayer level got reset. Not sure What's going on with this game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I never got notification of this enhanced audio thing. I haven't played MP yet though. I did install the game as soon as I got it.

No clue what you guys are talking about.

Had a chance to check this out at a friend's house. Only played multiplayer and it was pretty fun.

I can see why everyone brings up the graphics. I wonder if Ubisoft sacrificed visuals for performance? If so, I'd take performance over prettier visuals any day because the game plays smoothly and feels good.

There have been multiplayer games that don't feel good when you play them. It's hard to explain but you can tell. Uncharted 2/3 has it, Gears 3 has it, and hate it or not, Call of Duty feels great when you play it. Ghost Recon Future Soldier also feels good when you play multiplayer so I'm glad it turned out well.

CAVE343

can't decide which version to get, if the PS3 version is on par with the 360 version, then I'll be picking up the PS3 version first thing tomorrow

dezzy8

If anyone wants to play some CO-OP on XBOX Live add me at DaKoE3. I wish that they implemented a matchmaking for campaign like gears of war 3 did.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
grfs is not aimed at ghost recon fans.

it's aimed at your "bro" crowd(funny thing being that I am technically part of that crowd). you know cod players/gears of war players?

"My" bro crowd?

No please explain, does simply enjoying COD and Gears make one a "bro?" Also, how does that translate to GRFS?

I'm curious.

Also, funny thing, I've been a fan of Ghost Recon since the original and I've loved every Ghost Recon except for Ghost Recon 2.

highrider

Banned
this seems like a great game. i like the changes they made from graw. i miss the roll from prone because it looked cool. controls are tight, and while i get the complaints about visuals, it's a pretty good looking game in terms of environments and effects. so far i'm very happy with this.

this seems like a great game. i like the changes they made from graw. i miss the roll from prone because it looked cool. controls are tight, and while i get the complaints about visuals, it's a pretty good looking game in terms of environments and effects. so far i'm very happy with this.

What are you referring to here? If it's the left/right roll whilst prone, it's still there: quickly flick the movement stick in either direction.

"My" bro crowd?

No please explain, does simply enjoying COD and Gears make one a "bro?" Also, how does that translate to GRFS?

I'm curious.

Also, funny thing, I've been a fan of Ghost Recon since the original and I've loved every Ghost Recon except for Ghost Recon 2.

All of this bro talk and you guys are still neglecting to mention the "bro-est" shooter of them all... Dirt 3.

Also, Shogun, it wasn't a YOU "your"; rather, it was a GENERAL "your", but I think you knew that already...

does the whole game have the large Phrases ("Target Here" etc ) in the sky showing objectives?

not that its a bad thing, just wondering.

One of the most stupidest design choices ever. It is really the only flaw that pisses me off.

this stuff that annoys you to no end actually has a purpose in this game, if you haven't noticed the Ghosts are wearing Augmented Vision goggles that feed them information like the names of locations, etc. In Splinter Cell: Conviction it broke the "realism" if you want to call it that.

it astounds me that people complain about something as small as this though, to each their own I guess...

Any way to make that PC player list in the OP editable? I'd like to add myself. Pre-ordered on Steam over the weekend. My UPlay name is JoeyStyles66

I fixed it, my bad

EekTheKat

Random thoughts/impressions (PS3 version) :

3D in the console version of Future Soldier is pretty bad - I think it's reprojection resulting in cardboard cutout silhouettes with artifacts and minimal depth. IMHO, it's not among the best in class 3d console games. Tested on both active shutter 3dtv and HMZ-T1.

The default gamma out of the box seems way too high - resulting in a super bright image with a ton of washed out colors in game. Some texture detail is lost as well as a result of this. Turning it down helped quite a bit in improving how the game looked on my screen. (my set is calibrated using a probe for 2.2 gamma).

Just to be clear - turning down the gamma won't make the textures magically better - in some instances it just prevents certain details from being washed out by the overbright image (like sand/grain on the ground during a bright sunny day). Dialing down the gamma made the texture work a lot more visible.

The com chatter/verbal communication is very well done in the single player/coop campaign - in game squadmates actually provide a lot of valuable information in the field by calling out targets and locations.

Quick observation:

The opening cutscene has to be the most horribly compressed footage I have ever seen. It's like it's been uploaded to YouTube, then Facebook and then viewed on a phone via cellular data. Ubi sure have skimped here, but at least it's not on the bread and butter.

naib

What are you referring to here? If it's the left/right roll whilst prone, it's still there: quickly flick the movement stick in either direction.

All of this bro talk and you guys are still neglecting to mention the "bro-est" shooter of them all... Dirt 3.

Also, Shogun, it wasn't a YOU "your"; rather, it was a GENERAL "your", but I think you knew that already...
Thanks for this. I knew I'd rolled prone but couldn't figure out how. I think my dumbass was hitting Y. I bitch about skimpy manuals 'cause i would've learned that on the throne. It does at least have a controller layout. :lol

Thanks for this. I knew I'd rolled prone but couldn't figure out how. I think my dumbass was hitting Y. I bitch about skimpy manuals 'cause i would've learned that on the throne. It does at least have a controller layout. :lol

No problemo. Also, refer to my previous post here:

Sprint + power-slide to prone = A to sprint + B (held) simultaneously until you hit the ground.
Dive-roll to prone = be running either left or right across the screen, or hold either direction after running forward + B (held). This is SUPER effective; best used to round corners when you know someone is waiting for you or to surprise someone chasing you around a corner.
Rolling whilst prone = quickly flick the movement stick either left or right whilst prone (a few of us initially thought that this one actually required a double-tap of the stick, which is a lot more onerous).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The com chatter/verbal communication is very well done in the single player/coop campaign - in game squadmates actually provide a lot of valuable information in the field by calling out targets and locations.

I really love that. Not only does it provide valuable information, but it enhances the "squad" feeling, if you get what I mean.

I haven't tried coop yet but how does sync'ed shot work with other people? Do you simply have to make sure you shoot at the same time? You only mark your own target for the rest of the team to know who you are aiming at right? (I assume your screen name shows up above your target)

Also, what about the
solo mission with Kozac
later in the game?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Man, I'm on the second to last mission it's still pretty good although there is some repetitive stuff. I really do enjoy the character banter this time around.

Top Bottom