• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier |OT| The Future Is Here... Finally

It's annoying me how many people on review sites are claiming that the game is so casual now and that it's just another CoD clone. It borrowed good elements from that series and left out the bad qualities(closed map design, killstreaks, non-existent recoil, k/d focus). Ghost Recon Future Soldier is still so strategy focused. If all your doing is just going for kills you aren't going to win. You aren't gonna get some guided missile or helicopter gunship to come aid you by getting a killstreak. People pay way too much attention to scores T_T and similarities to CoD.

If people aren't going to give one the most strategic multiplayer games on consoles a try then I seriously don't understand how they can expect other publishers to make strategic games if this game tanks. The same issue happens on PC too. GRAW 2 on PC sold badly and IMO it was one of the best strategic shooters we had for PC in the past 5 years.

smik

8 and 9's

Wow this game reviewed well!

:)

Also that DLC pack announcement is bullshit, 3 MP maps?
thats low balling the fans for a heavily focus online game, previous GR always offered up to 7 maps each DLC

really disappointed with the map counts, 10 maps plus 3 each DLC wont cut it for me as id lose interest.

:(

Wasn't planning to rent this anytime soon, got a code for a free rental at redbox.
*sigh* Now I HAVE to go rent this.
Is there an online pass for this game?

anddo0

there's a dedicated code entry screen within the game's menus, did you try that?

It says I already used the code.
If you're on PS3, how can you tell if you already have the dlc?

edit: under "services" it shows that I have the map. I guess the best way to test it is by trying to join a game.

So, rented it to see if I would want to throw down for the PC version later on, I'm on the 4th full mission and have to say that while I like a lot of things about it, overall I'm coming off of it disappointed so far. My main complaint is it seems way too easy, even compared to GRAW 1 and 2. It's great to be able to play any way you want, but there is really no incentive to not just sit back and use the drone to spot enemy's then let your team take them out. I'm hoping that changes here soon.

So, rented it to see if I would want to throw down for the PC version later on, I'm on the 4th full mission and have to say that while I like a lot of things about it, overall I'm coming off of it disappointed so far. My main complaint is it seems way too easy, even compared to GRAW 1 and 2. It's great to be able to play any way you want, but there is really no incentive to not just sit back and use the drone to spot enemy's then let your team take them out. I'm hoping that changes here soon.

My exact concern, also. I was never in it for the SP, though, so as long as it's not super mediocre, it'll be a bonus for me.

Sallokin

This game freezes on me every single time I need to replay a section. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Other than that, it's been really fun so far.

It says I already used the code.
If you're on PS3, how can you tell if you already have the dlc?

edit: under "services" it shows that I have the map. I guess the best way to test it is by trying to join a game.

I think you can start a Guerrilla Mode match solo, I would imagine you can see if the map is listed that way

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Why does everyone look so ugly in this game?

urge26

Cut scenes are definitely ugly, but the gameplay on the first couple of levels I've played have looked fine (for a 360 game). Digging this a lot right now and my girls haven't let me get my teeth into yet (multiplayer).

U2NUMB

Ugh the host migration in this game is so annoying. First off it resets everyone at the beginning IF it goes through. Most of the time it just hangs on the please wait screen. Still feels like a beta.

I do enjoy it when it actually works but having a host migration about 4 times during every game so far is very annoying.

Really, really enjoyed GRAW 1 and 2. Am hoping this will be similar to those. Will definitely wait to hear more GAF impressions and perhaps a price-drop, though.

Ugh the host migration in this game is so annoying. First off it resets everyone at the beginning IF it goes through. Most of the time it just hangs on the please wait screen. Still feels like a beta.

I do enjoy it when it actually works but having a host migration about 4 times during every game so far is very annoying.

Hmm. That sucks. I copped host migration a handful of times during the beta in Australia, so I didn't really take issue with it. Hopefully my luck is better than yours :).

I just played the first two missions co-op with my son and we both thought it looked pretty good. The framerate seemed pretty solid to me. It's a HUGE step up from the dogshit that was GRAW2 on PS3. I'm satisfied with it...and it's fun as hell co-op!

Also, the last 3-4 minutes of the first mission was awesome!

Picked up the game on your recommendation. Yes, I'm pleasantly surprised. As you say, satisfied.

Sojgat

All the positive reviews and feedback are great to hear, I was worried about this game, now I can't wait to get my hands on it. Has anyone finished sp yet, are the 10 hour length estimates correct?

Just picked up my redbox copy. Time to burn through this bad boy.

When I posted this I had just started the install...it's at 76% 10 mins later. This install is slow as fuck.

Holy smokes, an auto install on 360 for 'enchanced audio experience'

So while it's installing, anyone care to comment on gfx? GRAW2 on 360 is jaw dropping till this day. Perfect IQ with no aliasing and a smothering of post processing effects.

From the Future Soldier dscreenshots and vids I've seen thus far, this is a different engine and an obvious graphical downgrade?

JackEtc

Wow, I really didn't mean to stay up this late. Not gonna be fun waking up for school tomorrow.

Quick first impressions: Having a LOT of fun with the game. Played 2 or 3 missions of the SP, and then 4 games of multiplayer. Having a blast so far. Glad it didn't disappoint!

Still sad that all the old modes from GRAW and going way back to OG GR are gone.

How will the replay value be for campaign, do people think? And is the horde mode fun? I'm pretty tired of horde modes but I hear this one does some things differently.

I really like the multiplayer aside from the fact that it seems like every game I've played so far no one else on my team knows conflict has objectives that need to be done to win. Hopefully those people won't last to long. Hate it when I'm the only one trying to pursue objectives while everyone else sits around kill whoring.

cool, anyone else?

trying to get a full 4 man squad goin

I'll be down for tomorrow if you need extra people. It's getting late and I'm usually on at 9pm est. MattyIce1982 is my gamertag.

I really like the multiplayer aside from the fact that it seems like every game I've played so far no one else on my team knows conflict has objectives that need to be done to win. Hopefully those people won't last to long. Hate it when I'm the only one trying to pursue objectives while everyone else sits around kill whoring.

Hands down, one of the most infuriating things that happened to me countless times in the beta was being killed milliseconds before completing an arm/disarm, especially when there was only 1 point of entry for the enemy. An incompetent team can make you rage like nothing else.

That being said, when you've a good team, the game sings magnificently. It fills my insides with warmth... And laughter, when you realise just how much of a shit one your opposition must be having.

Still sad that all the old modes from GRAW and going way back to OG GR are gone.

How will the replay value be for campaign, do people think? And is the horde mode fun? I'm pretty tired of horde modes but I hear this one does some things differently.

campaign seems like it will have good replayability with the challenge/unlock system. There are tons of alternate tasks / approaches to try in order to unlock guns, attachments and equipment in campaign mode, as well as the fun to be had playing co-op with buddies.

haven't got a chance to play Guerrilla Mode yet, I've read some impressions and the general consensus so far, is people arent that impressed

I'll be down for tomorrow if you need extra people. It's getting late and I'm usually on at 9pm est. MattyIce1982 is my gamertag.

sounds good, I'll look for you tomorrow and see how many people we can get together

Hands down, one of the most infuriating things that happened to me countless times in the beta was being killed milliseconds before completing an arm/disarm, especially when there was only 1 point of entry for the enemy. An incompetent team can make you rage like nothing else.

That being said, when you've a good team, the game sings magnificently. It fills my insides with warmth... And laughter, when you realise just how much of a shit one your opposition must be having.

I've been on the other side of those rounds, these kids get real frustrated that their normal run and gun tactics dont work It's sad, but hilarious at the same time...

Mayyhem

Loving the Multiplayer, just like I did the beta. Wish there were more maps though :/

IS there a leaderboard in the game or like a stat tracking screen anywhere? can't find anything in that respect

MechDX

Played the first couple SP missions and I must say: AWESOME! The game is great!

Got whooped in a couple MP matches, been playing CoD too long and need to slow it down a peg. Also, you cant just join a guillera match? Sucks if you cant.

To anyone that's had some decent time with the adversarial MP modes: are the maps any good? Are there any absolute shockers? And would you say that the majority are more akin to Pipeline or Windmill?

Loving the Multiplayer, just like I did the beta. Wish there were more maps though :/

IS there a leaderboard in the game or like a stat tracking screen anywhere? can't find anything in that respect

not sure if or where they have it in-game but GR Network tracks a lot of stuff once you signin
http://ghostreconnetwork.ubi.com

Got whooped in a couple MP matches, been playing CoD too long and need to slow it down a peg. Also, you cant just join a guillera match? Sucks if you cant.

yeah no co-op matchmaking for Guerrilla or Campaign, gotta find friends and party up

DrBo42

Yeah, really digging the SP. It plays mostly like R6 but still has its own kinda flair/feel to it. I can't help but miss the slide from GRAW though and I'm not a fan of the run animation. Gunsmith I absolutely love. With a full squad of friends I'd imagine this is a fantastic co-op experience, especially if you guys communicate and complement each others' loadout.

MechDX

Yeah, really digging the SP. It plays mostly like R6 but still has its own kinda flair/feel to it. I can't help but miss the slide from GRAW though and I'm not a fan of the run animation. Gunsmith I absolutely love. With a full squad of friends I'd imagine this is a fantastic co-op experience, especially if you guys communicate and complement each others' loadout.

I am fiending to try some 4 player co-op and guilerra.

sorry we couldn't link up, I've played thru 2 campaign missions so far and without you having your mic there was no way we were gonna get thru the stealth parts of mission 2 without being able to communicate sync shots, mics are pretty much a necessity

Got a really bad first impression from this. Menus and graphics seriously lack polish, character and production values. Faces and heads look horrendous, and overall the visuals, especially so in the very beginning look like somebody was handed a late generation original Xbox game and told to pretty it up.

The first mission was narrow and hand-holdy and everything wrong with shooters. I got about a third of the way into the second mission when my body was slowly filling with overwhelming meh...

But then my buddy popped online and we decided to restart in co-op. What a night and day difference :)

Graphics are still crap, there's no nice way of putting it. They can't hold a candle to most modern shooters, and the faces in ODST were works of art compared to this, but the gameplay? So far its solid. Movement is better than GRAW, tighter, and so is the aiming. Sprint truly feels like you're sprinting (*leers at Max Payne*), and the sprint-to-cover system works flawlessly. You can cover a lot of ground very quickly with bounding overwatch without losing any tempo - and it feels as physical as roadie running in Gears.

The missions open up quickly and start to toss in variety as well as more complicated areas to play in. In co-op communication is key if you want to have any semblance of stealth.

Gunsmith is something that I really want to dig into sometime soon. I don't have many unlocks, but just experimenting with the options I have and testing out various permutations at the gun range looks like a good time, especially since you can bring all your tuned gear back into mission replays for those side challenges.

One bit of weirdness is that your gunsmith unlocks are tied to your campaign save, and you can have multiple saves. So I had to bounce out mid-mission from our co-op game (the checkpoint was saved thankfully) but I couldn't say, mess around with gunsmith for a bit as that only seems to be available between missions. I could start a new campaign save but then all my progress is back at zero. Isn't gunsmith available online or through mobile apps? I wonder how that synchs up to your saves, or am I missing something?

Regardless, the game seems to have a higher difficulty level than I first thought (a scant few shots to drop you) and looks to have all the replayability hooks I could want (custom, fine tuned loadouts and side challenges) so I can easily see myself sinking some quality time into this.

One other bit before I go. Playing in single payer gets you your standard mid-action cut-scenes interspersed with combat at times, and they're well done here, but its pretty cool to see that in co-op everybody experiences these mini-cinematic moments from their own perspective, and those scenes directly lead into player specific combat sequences. Nice touch to an otherwise rote shooter convention.

So yeah, guess I'm pleased in every way except the visuals. But it looks to have tight controls and depth, and thats what I appreciate more in a game like this.

DrBo42

sorry we couldn't link up, I've played thru 2 campaign missions so far and without you having your mic there was no way we were gonna get thru the stealth parts of mission 2 without being able to communicate sync shots, mics are pretty much a necessity
Not sure, the marking system makes it pretty easy.

Top Bottom