• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Song Kickstarter - Metroid meets Dark Souls - GAFer made - funded!

Jobbs

Banned
First goal hit! :D

:) finally got to change my nifty graphic to the next one.

At this point there's reason to be optimistic about the next tier, maybe even the next two tiers, which is frankly flat out surreal to me. I'm still not done being shocked we ever got the minimum funding.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Judging by the quality you are putting into this project I say you deserve it and it's what many have been craving for a while.

Gbraga

:) finally got to change my nifty graphic to the next one.

At this point there's reason to be optimistic about the next tier, maybe even the next two tiers, which is frankly flat out surreal to me. I'm still not done being shocked we ever got the minimum funding.

If we get Overtime mode it would be so, so good. It seems to me that it would be pretty much the best you've ever imagined the game to be. Like, the kind of thing you always wish you could put in a game.

Clott

What are the chances of this getting to 60? I really want another reason to get a WiiU besides the wind waker Remake.

Can't back right now and probably won't be able to back for another 2 weeks (new job that pays bi-weekly). I'm so in though especially if we get to wiiu stretch goals.

I'm so glad this managed to hit its goal. I've been following this since it was first posted in the Indie Development thread and it's been pretty cool to see it get this far. Good luck and congratulations!

Also, wow! Did not realise you were responsible for Pulseboy, Jobbs, That's pretty awesome!

Looks amazing, defo going to get on this and spread the word to get my friends on it who like these type of games! All the best man.

Jobbs

Banned
thanks guys :)

Also, wow! Did not realise you were responsible for Pulseboy, Jobbs, That's pretty awesome!

I was more bystander in the pulseboy thing, I did the graphics and art and stuff (I spent a whole day drawing a gigantic gameboy). Roger (my programming partner for Ghost Song) programmed it and came up with the idea.

Will the game hit GOG ? That's where I buy all of my PC games now. I haven't bought a game on Steam for over a year.

It seems like a good shot. I actually heard from a GOG rep who was interested. I can't say anything for sure but it sounds like it could happen.

What are the chances of this getting to 60? I really want another reason to get a WiiU besides the wind waker Remake.

it's early to say, but just based on what I know and based on how it's gone, I'd say it is possible. BTW, you're forgetting Zombi U and Monolith's X. ;) Those are the big ones for me. X, by itself, is something I'd happily buy the console for if that was the only fucking game on it.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Wii U key? Ok, just upped my Early Bird Pledge to $15.

Your doing Gunpei's work, Jobbs. Keep it up!

legacyzero

Banned
My heavens the Super Metroid vibes I'm getting from this is amazing. I can only hope this game can meet and exceed the feeling that SM gave.

Also, I'm sure Adam Boyes from Sony would be happy to chat with you about a PS4/Vita version.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I love it. Console makers having specifics employees to chase independent game makers. As long as exclusivity is never a factor, keep on and remain excited people.

I was more bystander in the pulseboy thing, I did the graphics and art and stuff (I spent a whole day drawing a gigantic gameboy). Roger (my programming partner for Ghost Song) programmed it and came up with the idea.

Still pretty awesome! Many props to Roger and you for Pulseboy. Spent so many hours fiddling with that thing. Not much to show for it yet but it's still more than I could manage with Famitracker.

Jobbs

Banned

My heavens the Super Metroid vibes I'm getting from this is amazing. I can only hope this game can meet and exceed the feeling that SM gave.

Also, I'm sure Adam Boyes from Sony would be happy to chat with you about a PS4/Vita version.

I tweeted at him and he directed me to someone to contact. I did, and they're very friendly but I am still feeling like that unity cost is too high for me to talk about sony ports right now.

This is a look at the empowered shot. once you have the ability, you can temporarily empower your regular cannon through a few ways, primarily by dashing through an enemy. The rebuild of the game will have a more sophisticated system for this, too.

empowered2.gif

CTLance

Now I'm no Indie or whatever, but releasing on many platforms at once sounds like a nightmare to me. All of them have to be bugtested, all of them require and sometimes mandate certain UI/UX/general coding practices, many have a lot check that will cost you time and sometimes money if you fail it... That's like juggling chainsaws and live kittens while driving on a unicycle.

I say, release it on as many platforms as you feel comfortable with initially and expand from there. Sad reality is that you have no guarantee of success, no matter the quality, so keep the risk moderately low.

You're planning to release on Mac/PC(->GOG/Steam/Mac Appstore(?)/independent release) and now probably even WiiU, that's already a good amount of work coming your way.

Jobbs

Banned
Now I'm no Indie or whatever, but releasing on many platforms at once sounds like a nightmare to me. All of them have to be bugtested, all of them require and sometimes mandate certain UI/UX/general coding practices, many have a lot check that will cost you time and sometimes money if you fail it... That's like juggling chainsaws and live kittens while driving on a unicycle.

I say, release it on as many platforms as you feel comfortable with initially and expand from there. Sad reality is that you have no guarantee of success, no matter the quality, so keep the risk moderately low.

You're planning to release on Mac/PC(->GOG/Steam/Mac Appstore(?)/independent release) and now probably even WiiU, that's already a good amount of work coming your way.

It's just going to be the regular PC/mac/linux export which should be mostly painless via Unity.. And then if we meet the Wii U goal, we'll do that, too. It's not necessarily painless but that's also why the goal isn't low.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I tweeted at him and he directed me to someone to contact. I did, and they're very friendly but I am still feeling like that unity cost is too high for me to talk about sony ports right now.

This is a look at the empowered shot. once you have the ability, you can temporarily empower your regular cannon through a few ways, primarily by dashing through an enemy. The rebuild of the game will have a more sophisticated system for this, too.

empowered2.gif

Great attention to detail there, love the little particles.

CTLance

It's just going to be the regular PC/mac/linux export which should be mostly painless via Unity.. And then if we meet the Wii U goal, we'll do that, too. It's not necessarily painless but that's also why the goal isn't low.
Yeah, in the end you're the one doing all the work so I trust you have given it ample amounts of thought. Just saying, is all. Would hate to see you buried below an avalanche of work before you can finish the game.

By the by: Awesome gifs. Keep them coming.
(...am I imagining things, or are the particles emanating from the belly of the 'bot? He's leaking! The poor thing!)

Gbraga

empowered2.gif

BUENO

Slixshot

Banned
Here, have my money :) Hoping on that Wii U port! Also, it would be cool to have some type of achievement/unlockables in the game. Always liked those!

Jobbs

Banned
By the by: Awesome gifs. Keep them coming.
(...am I imagining things, or are the particles emanating from the belly of the 'bot? He's leaking! The poor thing!)

it's sort of overloading you a little bit, that's the asthetic, and it fits with the theme and what happens in the story too.

Here, have my money :) Hoping on that Wii U port! Also, it would be cool to have some type of achievement/unlockables in the game. Always liked those!

thanks, me too! crazy to imagine the possibility of the game on wii u after so recently being basically nowhere.

we haven't had a discussion about achievements this early but it'd make sense.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm so glad this is doing well, I just hope it'll work on my old ass Macbook. If there's any chance of a PS4 version I'll add a decent amount to the funds I've already contributed. I don't want to make it seem like I'm pressuring more work, I just want to be able to really sink my teeth into this once it's done.

Jobbs

Banned
thanks DTU :)

I'm so glad this is doing well, I just hope it'll work on my old ass Macbook. If there's any chance of a PS4 version I'll add a decent amount to the funds I've already contributed. I don't want to make it seem like I'm pressuring more work, I just want to be able to really sink my teeth into this once it's done.

thanks. :) It's a little early to talk specs, really, and I wouldn't be the one to ask -- I'm the least technical of the members of the two person team. That said, it's a fully 2D game, and it'll use a lot of graphics and some neat effects, but -- at the end of the day, it's still a fully 2D game, so I'd expect the requirements to be somewhat modest. So I guess it depends on how old that ass is in the old ass mac.

Would back for a Vita version, otherwise I'll wait for a Steam sale.

When I see my game on sale for $3 on Steam, I'll know I've made it.

I think?

:)

Chris R

Finally backed it today, just hope the sound track is easily available for a reasonable price after the game launches and I find myself wanting it and sad I didn't back it at the soundtrack level.

Nohar

Finally backed it today, just hope the sound track is easily available for a reasonable price after the game launches and I find myself wanting it and sad I didn't back it at the soundtrack level.

You can still change your pledge and reward if you like as long as the Kickstarter project didn't reach its deadline ;)

Well, almost 25.000$. Very nice.

Jobbs

Banned
You can still change your pledge and reward if you like as long as the Kickstarter project didn't reach its deadline ;)

Well, almost 25.000$. Very nice.

We're in good shape to reach that $30k goal, which is exciting. Having the comfort to work a bit harder/longer on the game and put in some features I always wanted to (in this case, the MAG style pet system) is going to be great.

thank you :) and yes you can change your pledge whenever you want. Re. Soundtrack I'm sure we'll have it available in other ways after launch.

CTLance

I wonder where in the space between 60k and 100k you will end up eventually, Jobbs. (Those two are the forecast numbers from kicktraq.) Very nice. Sure, don't count your chickens before they hatch, but some cheers from the sidelines are allowed, yes?
Re. Soundtrack I'm sure we'll have it available in other ways after launch.
That is great to hear. Thank you.
Wishlist item: optional lossless compression on OST audio files. I'm no audio nut by any means, but bandwidth and disk space are comparatively cheap nowadays. It avoids quality loss on re-encode and thus future proofs the music library.

Another wishlist item: can we get the songs properly tagged and named? Hotline Miami's OST was a complete mess in that regard, so incorporating it into an already existing library was annoying.​

Jobbs

Banned
I wonder where in the space between 60k and 100k you will end up eventually, Jobbs. (Those two are the forecast numbers from kicktraq.) Very nice. Sure, don't count your chickens before they hatch, but some cheers from the sidelines are allowed, yes?

I'm not totally sure how the projection model works, but it seems kinda early to be saying stuff like that. It's been less than a week.

Wishlist item: optional lossless compression on OST audio files. I'm no audio nut by any means, but bandwidth and disk space are comparatively cheap nowadays. It avoids quality loss on re-encode and thus future proofs the music library.

Another wishlist item: can we get the songs properly tagged and named? Hotline Miami's OST was a complete mess in that regard, so incorporating it into an already existing library was annoying.​

Roger said: "That's a no brainer". :)

Jobbs

Banned
we've still got a LOT of time -- don't worry. I'm going to do a new video walkthrough soon and hopefully knock a few people off the fence.

Jobbs

Banned
Here's something new.

The slimey vine things are in the foreground so sorta go behind them if you walk where they are.

gtarea-02.jpg

gtarea-03.jpg

There's a little bit of grid based tiles at play here, but most of it's hidden under misc. odd shaped graphic blots. This represents the style I'm moving more and more towards, particularly as I get into the Unity build (which this isn't -- this is still the old flash game).

Jobbs

Banned
A few bigger sites have it covered, but there can always be more.

Looks awesome Jobbs.

thanks. :)

here's another new thing. yet another door, so to speak. this leads down into a network of tunnels, which were created by a fiersome race of alien bugs, brought here centuries ago, which have sort of overrun the place. these areas sometimes provide shortcuts or lead to cool stuff, but they're largely optional (though not always) and generally pretty tough. There is even rumored to be a queen.

I'm going to show a bit of the bug tunnels in the next video.

bugent2.gif

Ocaso

thanks. :)

here's another new thing. yet another door, so to speak. this leads down into a network of tunnels, which were created by a fiersome race of alien bugs, brought here centuries ago, which have sort of overrun the place. these areas sometimes provide shortcuts or lead to cool stuff, but they're largely optional (though not always) and generally pretty tough. There is even rumored to be a queen.

I'm going to show a bit of the bug tunnels in the next video.

bugent2.gif

Jobbs, my good man, at the risk of becoming very unpopular, I have a request for you: please don't post more stuff from the game. I realize you're probably being very careful to not spoil key elements, but I personally want to play through your game with fresh eyes and minimal expectations, so as to heighten the sense of discovery.

At the very least, consider putting the gifs in as links so that they don't open automatically. I, and hopefully a few others, would appreciate it!

Top Bottom