• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Song Kickstarter - Metroid meets Dark Souls - GAFer made - funded!

what are your guys' thoughts on this? should I just stay out of it, as I have been, or is this just a thing people do and not a big deal?

If you truly believe in it yay, if you don't nay

don't want to end up with salty people if something you backed just for extra footfall goes south and the creator runs off with the cash or something.

Jobbs

Banned
If you truly believe in it yay, if you don't nay

don't want to end up with salty people if something you backed just for extra footfall goes south and the creator runs off with the cash or something.

when legend of iya (2D metroidvania project by a wayforward artist!) was on its home stretch I was really tempted to plug it because it was running down to the wire, even though he didn't ask me to. I just like the game. but I just felt like i should maintain purity and not tell my backers stuff they didn't sign on to hear.

daakusedo

Has there been talk about the character?
I thought the blue cape makes the chest a bit shapeless and dark with the brighter part being also covered with the arm, so the top of the character is not too detailed and it makes the legs looks larger.

Apart from this, I'm following the game progress, especially how it will differentiate from its inspirations.

Jobbs

Banned
Has there been talk about the character?
I thought the blue cape makes the chest a bit shapeless and dark with the brighter part being also covered with the arm, so the top of the character is not too detailed and it makes the legs looks larger.

Apart from this, I'm following the game progress, especially how it will differentiate from its inspirations.

the character in the suit has something of a mystery about them -- to explain it all at the top would remove the fun. during the course of the game you may not know a lot about who the main character is. some people may piece it together or make guesses. others won't realize it until the end.

the art will be redone, pretty much from square one, to be high res, and I may make some tweaks to the main character design (that said, I don't want to drastically change anything from what the backers pledged towards).

the gameplay mechanics will also be tweaked/added to, but, again, not in a radically different direction from what the backers expect.

Generally, I just want to nudge the thing into a bit more serious tone to match the story, so there'll be a bit more heft and seriousness to the art design, combat asthetics, and environments. once again, it's not going to be radically different, it'll still be in line with what people backed. I just want to nudge it a bit into its own direction. That's been my plan for a couple months now.

daakusedo

When I talked about the top and detail, it was not about the style but about the fact that compared to the head and the legs the blue cape makes some blurred zone and the legs appear really prominent cause of that. I thought of having that brighter blue visible between the cape and the arm.
So I'm not arguing about that mystery part which is fine.

Jobbs

Banned
When I talked about the top and detail, it was not about the style but about the fact that compared to the head and the legs the blue cape makes some blurred zone and the legs appear really prominent cause of that. I thought of having that brighter blue visible between the cape and the arm.
So I'm not arguing about that mystery part which is fine.

As I said, I'll be re-evaluating the character design and may make some adjustments as needed. I understand your criticism, certainly.

Jobbs

Banned
Hey guys, I put up a new 7 minute walkthrough of the game. Hopefully I didn't stammer and stumble too badly, I wanted to explain the game and my motivations a bit, in my own voice, as well as demonstrate some things that haven't been shown yet.

Let me know what you think. I tried my best to get the video capture/encode quality good.. A bit new to this video stuff.

https://vimeo.com/72660711

Hey Jobbs, are you guys going to be working on this full-time now? It's a pretty ambitious game for just two people working on your spare time given the release date set.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hey guys, I put up a new 7 minute walkthrough of the game. Hopefully I didn't stammer and stumble too badly, I wanted to explain the game and my motivations a bit, in my own voice, as well as demonstrate some things that haven't been shown yet.

Let me know what you think. I tried my best to get the video capture/encode quality good.. A bit new to this video stuff.

Nice, will give it a watch later and give some feedback

JDSN

Banned

I love how creepy and asphyxiating the bug mazes look, im glad you made them optional because it would loose a lot of impact being there for a long time, the bug enemies are really fast too and the noises they make are something you could use to keep the player on their toes.

Jobbs

Banned
thanks guys.

Will the game have 360/xbone pad support in the PC version?

the answer is yes. The xbox360 controller is sort of the standard PC controller in my opinion -- So it'll be fine there. I can only speculate on the XB1 controller, but I'm going to assume it'll work fine.

Lettuce

Great vid!. Regarding the robot in the elevator, will me have an enemy or enemies that are invincible (or appear to be invincible) that will stalk you through certain sections of the game, kind of like the SA-X in Metroid Fusion??......as that was some tense stuff

Jobbs

Banned
Great vid!. Regarding the robot in the elevator, will me have an enemy or enemies that are invincible (or appear to be invincible) that will stalk you through certain sections of the game, kind of like the SA-X in Metroid Fusion??......as that was some tense stuff

yes, this is actually a major part of the game, and it's mentioned in the bullet points on the KS page. :)

The character in question -- the stalker -- needed to be way smarter than I knew how to program. I needed great pathfinding and more complex AI than I knew how to implement. This was one of the several reasons I decided I didn't want to continue doing this game on my own as a Flash game.

Jobbs

Banned
is the stalker gonna be basicly a dark version of your character(like SA-X and Dark Samus) or something different

completely different. think sorta like gollum but bigger and mechanical and really powerful. he'll be able to run on the ceiling and shit like that too. very fast/slinky. big retractable blade.

completely different. think sorta like gollum but bigger and mechanical and really powerful. he'll be able to run on the ceiling and shit like that too. very fast/slinky. big retractable blade.
LOTR Gollum?
also i assume well eventually kill it like what happened in Fusion, or is it like Nemesis

Jobbs

Banned
LOTR Gollum?
also i assume well eventually kill it like what happened in Fusion, or is it like Nemesis

I won't spoil the plot of the game, but you are forced to fight against it a number of times. I don't want to reveal everything but don't just assume everything ends up like nemesis or SAX. ;)

Gbraga

You can Ghost Dash in the air :O

Thank you, Jobbs

And hey, the first shot after the Ghost Dash was a buster then, or was it something else?

EDIT: Nevermind, the buster is purple, it's just a bigger and armor piercing shot then. Very cool, I'm still having a hard time believing it's a Flash Game right now. Can't wait to see how it'll look on Unity.

Lettuce

I won't spoil the plot of the game, but you are forced to fight against it a number of times. I don't want to reveal everything but don't just assume everything ends up like nemesis or SAX. ;)

Guess like the Nemesis for RE3 then..."STARS!!!!!!!!!!!"

Hope you come up with some super creepy sound for this stalker...that makes the hairs on the back of you neck stand on end when you hear it.

Will you be able to possible hear this stalker from a few screens away very sutley, just to build up the tension and possibly avoid a confrontation??

Jobbs

Banned
Guess like the Nemesis for RE3 then..."STARS!!!!!!!!!!!"

Hope you come up with some super creepy sound for this stalker...that makes the hairs on the back of you neck stand on end when you hear it.

Will you be able to possible hear this stalker from a few screens away very sutley, just to build up the tension and possibly avoid a confrontation??

I'll drop some minor info, and, in fact, this week I plan to show some drawings of him.

the stalker is a character who was once your friend, and through tragedy and isolation has become somewhat crazy.

the stalker speaks audibly.

the stalker is much more powerful than you. he can run faster, jump higher, and walk on walls and ceilings and shit.

this character, the encounters, and the relationship I consider one of the most important aspects of the game and is central to the whole experience, thus why its execution needed to be perfect, thus why I needed a much better programmer.

Clevinger

looks great, jobbs

Just one small thing I like is all those little particle effects you have. (both the dusty floaty atmospheric stuff and the weapon particles)

The jump flip/spin looks way too much like Metroid. You should prolly think of something different. Everything else looks great. :)

SleazyC

Hadn't seen this before but backed immediately when I saw the walkthrough + the trailer on the Kickstarter page. The music and visuals are breathtaking and very atmospheric.

Do have one question about the Kickstarter tier with the music addon, is the music provided in a lossless format (i.e. flac) or compressed (mp3)?

Jobbs

Banned

Do have one question about the Kickstarter tier with the music addon, is the music provided in a lossless format (i.e. flac) or compressed (mp3)?

The answer is yes (to lossless). :) (edit: may need to double check, but I'm almost certain it's lossless) (edit 2: yes, lossless)

looks great, jobbs

Just one small thing I like is all those little particle effects you have. (both the dusty floaty atmospheric stuff and the weapon particles)

The jump flip/spin looks way too much like Metroid. You should prolly think of something different. Everything else looks great. :)

As I've said, anything and everything is going to be under review as we rebuild this bad boy from basically the ground up. The spinning jump in particular is something that'll be under intense scrutiny because I understand how divisive it is. It's one of the relics that has been around since the game's less ambitious beginning and has sort of just stuck around. I understand the arguments about it though, and I *do* plan to do something about it.

Novocaine

Just watched. One thing that really bugs me in platformers are loose floaty controls. Stoked that this won't be a problem with Ghost Song.

Really liked the look of the bug tunnels, it's going to be scary running through those with the fog.

JoeFu

Banned
Dang, that 7 minute video was awesome. Can't wait to see what the final Unity version will look like! Hope it hits the Wii U stretch goal, but wouldn't mind playing this on my PC.

Jobbs

Banned
Just watched. One thing that really bugs me in platformers are loose floaty controls. Stoked that this won't be a problem with Ghost Song.

Really liked the look of the bug tunnels, it's going to be scary running through those with the fog.

that's the intention. you may run into this guy:

stomp3.gif

or worse. (it definitely gets worse)

Timeaisis

Man, love this art style! Looks gorgeous, and gameplay looks great, too. One of the few games on KS that I actually decided to back. Really want that Wii U stretch goal to pan out. Good luck!

VashTS

This game makes me feel at ease that SR-388 will never resurface. This looks awesome!!!

Why don't developers/publishers wanna make a 2d metroid-like game anymore?

Jobbs

Banned
This game makes me feel at ease that SR-388 will never resurface. This looks awesome!!!

Why don't developers/publishers wanna make a 2d metroid-like game anymore?

btw, I should mention, another interview went up today. I filled out a bunch of these things in a short time, so I tend to forget which is which, but in this one I seem to go on a fair bit. Might be a good read if you are interested in the game.

Platy

I am the only person who find curious that praticaly EVERY SINGLE indie kickestarter/indiegogo has a WiiU strech goal ?

JoeFu

Banned
I am the only person who find curious that praticaly EVERY SINGLE indie kickestarter/indiegogo has a WiiU strech goal ?

http://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform/consoles

For Wii U developers, Nintendo will be distributing a Wii U-only version of Unity with every Wii U development kit to its in-house and external developers.

If they get a dev kit, and the game they are making is in Unity... there's no reason not to port to the Wii U really.

Top Bottom